Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2012   #341
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
RT @MarkBermanFox26: Mercilus terms: 4-year deal worth $7.63 million with $6.55 million guaranteed.
I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.
Old 06-16-2012   #342
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think this is gonna look pretty cheap when Barwin starts negotiating for multi millions after his 2012 season.
LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.
Old 06-16-2012   #343
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
LOL. Yup.

Seems the new direction is clear: (a) Identify and draft a great defensive player, then (b) make that "new kid" work hard to earn a spot in the rotation, then (c) after four years of that kid growing up and then demanding a big payday...(d)let the guy walk (Mario) or cut him (Winston) or trade him (DeMeco) in order for the team to (e) make room for the next kid in the draft.

Then repeat the steps above.

It's just part of it. Can't keep 'em all.
Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #344
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Sounds like the Patriots and Steelers
For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.

Not directed at you, but we can't be looking to replace guys like Mario, Demeco and Winston every year. We lost quite a bit this off season. I think well be better than ok, but I think this off season was how it was based on circumstances. I don't expect this on a regular basis.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #345
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
For the most part those teams hold on to their upper echelon players. When they start getting older is when you see those players move on.
Yup. They work a player's prime part of their career typically a rookie contract and one new one/extension. Then they let them go when they are looking at a fat last contract which projects past their likely peak play. Their practice is basically what McNair described as a philosophy for the Texans.
Old 06-16-2012   #346
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont really know the kid yet, but he seems humble and down to earth.

Looks like this may be a very nice pick before all is said and done.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #347
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #348
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK:
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #349
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115757 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I could see this being his last year here if here keeps playing the way he's been playing.

Salary Info; LINK:
2,082,024 salary
3,080,040 dead money

2,429,028 salary
998,016 dead money
So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...
Old 08-12-2014   #350
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
We need Merciless to step up. Not just for this season, but for his future in Houston.

would be nice if he could be a solid starter opposite Clowney. He and Brooks have the status of being fairly high picks...We need some real production from those guys.
Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #351
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So we'd save like 1mil?

I'm just hoping he finds that go button for the team's sake. The only player that I'm confident in rushing from the edge is Clowney...and he's a rookie...

If something happens to Clowney (knock on wood), our outside pass rush could be non-existent...again...
Ballpark, yeah. I'm sure we could find someone that can't rush or hold the edge for cheap.

If you can't generate pressure lined up next to JJ Watt, what good are you? People were giving Clowney crap for blowing up the TE trying to block him, "he should do that, it's TE", but that's something Mercilus hasn't been able to do and that's pretty damn sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #352
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, i had fairly high hopes for him coming into this year but he didn't make an impact whatsoever against the Cards....not even against the 2nd teamers....

My only hope at this point is that maybe he has the potential to look better with the 1's..............but then he's not running with the 1's....
Ahh jeez . . . what the hell happened to this guy?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #353
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
He is what he is. A 1 year wonder college player who hasn't learned how to effectively rush the passer at the NFL level. In other words, a high motor, good character BUST!
Old 08-12-2014   #354
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'd like to argue that he is what he was coming out of college.

Miscast as a star type player.

I will say that this past game he looked even worse than the "ok" player I thought he could be.

I don't mind Merciless, but he needs to at least turn into a solid player...He still looks bad against the run and his pass rush is not good.

Needs to become more violent, physical. I thought maybe Vrabel could get through to him, but in that first game it wasn't the case. Maybe that will be a wake up call for him.

For the sake of the Texans we need Merciless to pan out....

Think about it...We had Mario...let him walk...to much money..Barwin...didn't look that great his last year here...let him walk...Reed....Meh....Merciless....???....Trevardo ....smh...Montgomery...ditto..

Even a guy like Willie Jefferson, who to me looked better as a rusher than some of those guys...he was too dumb to keep his head down and work...

Past Clowney our talent at OLB is looking mighty thin....
Old 08-12-2014   #355
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.
Old 08-12-2014   #356
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A lot of people didn't like my idea before....And probably still won't...

But I would move Cushing to OLB in base defense...Move Reed inside to complete for a starting spot with Dent, Bullough, Tarpinian, Tuggle...ect....

Move Cushing back inside in nickel and dime...

Could still help in coverage as Clowney would be the primary edge rusher, but when needed to Rush he could also do that better than the guys we have out there now. Might help to rejuvinate him since there is less trash to deal with at OLB...Let Brooks Reed and those other guys deal with all those bodies flying at them in the middle of the field and taking on Full backs regularly and let Cushing get out in space a little more...

Plus he played on the edge before. He was an edge player primarily before going to mike full time when Wade got here.

I'd feel a lot better about our LB situation.
That's a ctually a pretty good idea if Cush is physically able to do it now. There are a couple of really good prospects at ILB and Cush has always been a good rusher.
Old 08-12-2014   #357
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure how I feel about Cushing on the edge these days. Dude was great there when he was younger, but he's lost a lot of agility and mobility because of those leg injuries. Even before the 2nd injury last year, he was really just a downhill plugger. In years past he would go sideline to sideline, but that job moved to Sharpton last year while Cushing became our inside plugger.

He's very good going downhill and attacking inside so I would like to keep him there.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #358
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting on it.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014   #359
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think it would be a good idea to just forget about Cushing. I don't think he's ever gonna play again. It's tragic what happened to him, but if anyone's been paying attention to what Doc has being saying . . . If he comes back to play like his former self, I'll be jazzed, but I'm not counting it.
Actually hadn't seen the quotes from Doc...

But if he has been saying that then that kind of makes reality set in...
Old 08-12-2014   #360
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Actually hadn't seen the quotes from Doc...

But if he has been saying that then that kind of makes reality set in...
Well, we need to get Doc in here because that's not what I remember him saying.

Before, when we thought it was a bone fracture below the knee, Doc was saying it shouldn't prevent Cush from being the guy he used to be.

However, he did raise caution when Cushing wasn't participating in OTAs, saying we were most likely not told everything about the true nature of Cushing's injury.

Then they came out & told us what the real problem was & I don't remember what he's said since.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read