Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2012   #281
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Stephen McGee (A&M) - hand size 9"
drafted in the 4th by the Cowboys in 09

Jimmy Clausen (ND) - hand size 9"
drafted in the 2nd by the Panthers

Zac Robinson (Okl St) hand size 9"
drafted in the 7th by NE

Chad Henne (UM) hand size 9"
drafted in the 2nd by Mia

John David Booty (USC) hand size 8-1/2
drafted in the 5th by Minn

Josh Johnson (SD) hand size 9"
drafted in the 5th by TB

Kevin O'Connell (SD St) hand size 8-7/8
drafted in the third by NE
If someone thinks small hands matter (negative) to NFL success then you could not have provided them much better evidence.
Old 06-11-2012   #282
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

IMO, Keenum will mysteriously sustain an injury towards the end of TC and be stored on IR for the season. Unless, of course, he ends up winning the #3 spot.
Old 06-11-2012   #283
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, Keenum will mysteriously sustain an injury towards the end of TC and be stored on IR for the season. Unless, of course, he ends up winning the #3 spot.
I like Case but it won't be mysterious. He does that quite well on his own.
Old 06-11-2012   #284
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
If someone thinks small hands matter (negative) to NFL success then you could not have provided them much better evidence.

One of the largest hand size measurements of any quarterback drafted in the first round was the 11¼" of Jim Druckenmiller. He was a bust, as was Heath Shuler (10 5/8"). Now Michael Vick at barely 6' ?........he should have problems handling a White Castle burger with his whopping 8 1/2" graspers.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #285
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It has been said that Keenum weakness was using only one half field when doing his reads. I think Texans can correct that over time. For me a 3rd string QB must project long term. I just don't see Beck getting much better but it could happen. I see more potential in Keenum.
Old 06-11-2012   #286
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
One of the largest hand size measurements of any quarterback drafted in the first round was the 11¼" of Jim Druckenmiller. He was a bust, as was Heath Shuler (10 5/8"). Now Michael Vick at barely 6' ?........he should have problems handling a White Castle burger with his whopping 8 1/2" graspers.
Honestly, any measurable that you place out there is going to be suspect when taken in isolation. that's why I was questioning the guys that 76 used. pretty sure besides Vick there is some other good smalled handed QB. Just like there is probably some other sucky big handed QB besides Druckenmiller.
Old 06-11-2012   #287
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 207192 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Honestly, any measurable that you place out there is going to be suspect when taken in isolation. that's why I was questioning the guys that 76 used. pretty sure besides Vick there is some other good smalled handed QB. Just like there is probably some other sucky big handed QB besides Druckenmiller.
I certainly understand your point...........that's why the smiley was attached. Keenum has some hurdles to overcome. But I believe that he is a QB Kubiak likes and could very well be taken under his wing. With Keenum's history of playing "intelligently" and Kubiaks guiding hand, I don't see it as far fetched that he could see promotion through the ranks, and quicker than most would think.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #288
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I certainly understand your point...........that's why the smiley was attached. Keenum has some hurdles to overcome. But I believe that he is a QB Kubiak likes and could very well be taken under his wing. With Keenum's history of playing "intelligently" and Kubiaks guiding hand, I don't see it as far fetched that he could see promotion through the ranks, and quicker than most would think.

...and I believe Keenum's already under GK's warm feathers. I agree with those that say it's way too early to tell. That's only common sense especially when you take into consideration the other record breaking, stats racking QBs that have come out of UH prior to Case Keenum and flopped miserably in the NFL.

That being said, I see a few differences here. He's not being asked to sign the line then lead a team to glory after one training camp and preseason. He may or may not be PS'd but he will certainly be brought along slowly. He'll be thrown out there when he's ready, unless of coarse, we have 2011 all over again.

What are the odds of that?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #289
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the problem with using "numbers" to quantify success.

I merely listed the QBs that were drafted since 2008 with same hand size as Keenum or smaller.

Out of some 10 QBs drafted in 08, the only one who has had a certain degree of success in the NFL is Matt Ryan.
(Joe Flacco is borderline).

From the 09 bunch, only Matt Stafford has gone anywhere, and from the 2010 bunch, none has made a name for himself so far.

Hand size, as long as it's not too small, shouldn't be a problem, is all I'm saying.

Heath Shuler has 10-5/8 hand size.
David Carr 9-3/4

On the other side, Jake Plummer's measured 9-1/4, same as Chris Chandler.

And as long as we're on sizes, you would think that guys like Weeden, Foles, and especially Osweiler (who was the tallest QB in this recent draft) would have fewer passes batted down than Keenum, but that wasn't the case.

Despite being under pressure more than any QBs in the last draft (the two guys I don't have many game tapes on were Coleman and Harnish), Keenum managed to have fewer balls batted down than any one of them (while throwing more passes).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012   #290
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It has been said that Keenum weakness was using only one half field when doing his reads. I think Texans can correct that over time. For me a 3rd string QB must project long term. I just don't see Beck getting much better but it could happen. I see more potential in Keenum.
That's another myth I really have to point out.
Keenum's pre-snap and post-snap reads are excellent.
He uses the entire field and he locates the open receiver quickly.

That's why his top 3 receivers had 96, 89 and 87 receptions (the guy with 96 receptions had the lower ypc, the guy with 87 had the highest ypc) and the top 2 RBs had 51 and 44 receptions (the Cougars didn't have a true TE last year).

Overall, Keenum threw to 17 different guys.
He spreads the wealth very well; you get open, you get the ball, period.
Old 06-12-2012   #291
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And that's the stat(s) that matters most. Can a QB, whether he's a rookie or a veteran, display the ability to identify who is open and get the ball to the right person on every pass play? His history says he can.

Plus, we MIGHT be entering a really great era for Case to be a part of. We're rid of Jacoby Jones who was eating up snaps that guys like DeVier Posey and/or Lestar Jean will now enjoy. Keshawn Martin too. I think this is a great time for a guy like Case Keenum to enter the Texans roster.

The only downside is that he's 3rd man on the totem pole. And while it's nice to daydream about what Case "could" do for the Texans if he progresses as it's been theorized...nobody wants a scenario where Case is the starter in 2012. Yates rallied the team for the last part of 2011, but 2012 needs us to be stable with Schaub and Yates.

Still, he's a great long-term prospect at QB for us. The more the can sit and soak up the playbook and just watch and learn, the better.
Old 06-12-2012   #292
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's another myth I really have to point out.
Keenum's pre-snap and post-snap reads are excellent.
He uses the entire field and he locates the open receiver quickly.

That's why his top 3 receivers had 96, 89 and 87 receptions (the guy with 96 receptions had the lower ypc, the guy with 87 had the highest ypc) and the top 2 RBs had 51 and 44 receptions (the Cougars didn't have a true TE last year).

Good info and thanks. That is what I saw when I watched him but did read more than one article that he used only half field despite being in shotgun. There are many QBs who develop confidence in one side of field due to receiver and blocking. I still think Texans are a perfect fit.
Old 06-12-2012   #293
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

He's going to be cut and P-squaded, or IR'd. I doubt any team picks him up to put on their 53-man roster and I'm sure Kubiak knows this.
Old 06-12-2012   #294
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
He's going to be cut and P-squaded, or IR'd. I doubt any team picks him up to put on their 53-man roster and I'm sure Kubiak knows this.
It's not like teams don't sign a QB off another team PS.

LeFevour was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the sixth round (181st overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. He struggled through the 2010 preseason, completing 19 of 41 passes (46.3%), with 204 pass yards, 1 TD 1 int, 6 Sacks, and 38 rush yards. Chicago signed veteran Todd Collins to be the 3rd string quarterback, and waived LeFevour after the 2010 preseason in hopes of placing him on the practice squad

LeFevour was claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals the next day, and spent the 2010 season as the third string quarterback, but did not see any action.
Old 06-12-2012   #295
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I can say just the opposite, claim Kubiak knows it and be just as accurate as you. Just opinions from guys who really have little info.

Old 06-12-2012   #296
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rudy Carpenter, 25, starred at Arizona State before signing with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in April 2009. After he was cut at the end of training camp, he joined the team's practice squad.

In November 2009, Tampa Bay signed him to its active roster.
Old 06-12-2012   #297
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe that Beck is nothing but a camp arm. I think that the single biggest factor in whether Keenum sticks on the 53 as our #3 (after his own performance) is Yates performance. If Yates looks really solid as our #2 and builds on what he did last year then I think Gary will be comfortable with him behind Schaub and with Keenum in the #3 slot. If Yates doesn't look like he's improved much or even just has some moments that make the coaches go "WTF?" then Gary will want a veteran in there somewhere and try to slip Keenum over to the practice squad.
Old 06-12-2012   #298
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I believe that Beck is nothing but a camp arm. I think that the single biggest factor in whether Keenum sticks on the 53 as our #3 (after his own performance) is Yates performance. If Yates looks really solid as our #2 and builds on what he did last year then I think Gary will be comfortable with him behind Schaub and with Keenum in the #3 slot. If Yates doesn't look like he's improved much or even just has some moments that make the coaches go "WTF?" then Gary will want a veteran in there somewhere and try to slip Keenum over to the practice squad.
Sounds very logical to me.
Old 06-12-2012   #299
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Agree and it seems logical that Gary would want Keenum to get as much work & coaching as possible
Old 06-12-2012   #300
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Prior to the OTA's my position was that it all depended on Matt's health.

If Matt is healthy, then any veteran brought in is a camp arm and we'll end up with Matt, TJ, and Case as our QBs.

If Matt is not healthy, then the vet brought in will be looked at as a #2 behind Yates to start the season.

However, word from the OTAs is that Matt looks like he's in good shape. So, unless there's some sort of meltdown or something, I expect us to go with Matt, TJ, and Case. If Case just doesn't look like he's getting it OR if Beck steps up and kicks ass, Case might get cut and placed on the PS.

TJ would have to meltdown pretty bad to lose the #2 job, I think.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read