Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2012   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Looks Like We're going to Have a Ball with this Team.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Fans tend to have an overinflated view of their young prospects. Williams and Carmichael have a combined NFL experience of 1 game. It may or may not be Alan Ball, but Wade will find a vet to play behind (or share the position with) Kareem Jackson.
You're right and they probably will find a vet CB to replace Allen, probably after week 2. That seems to be Ricks MO. (Pollard/Allen)

Being a fan and watching Carmicheal at Va Tech, Carmicheal has a chance to be a player, he may be short but he's fast,has great ball skills and a good vert. All he needs is experience.

Going against Rodgers/Manning/Brady/Stafford/Cutler should be a baptism by fire thingy for him.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ball is meant to be this yrs Allen.

Remains to be seen if he can live up to Allens level of play.

I'm really high on Williams and especially Carmicheal. So I doubt Ball makes the team.
These are my thoughts as well. I thought letting Allen leave was a mistake, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad either and offered that young veteran presence that our young CB's need while they grow into NFL players. I can't wait to see what Carmichael can bring to the team in preseason and I like Williams as CB/FS depth.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
These are my thoughts as well. I thought letting Allen leave was a mistake, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad either and offered that young veteran presence that our young CB's need while they grow into NFL players. I can't wait to see what Carmichael can bring to the team in preseason and I like Williams as CB/FS depth.
Playing all of the QB's they have to play next yr will be a true test of how much progress KJ's made. I've got a feeling that they are going to regret letting Allen leave.
Old 06-03-2012   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought letting Allen leave was a mistake, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad either...
The Texans didn't want Allen gone. There was just no way they could come close to matching the Bengals offer of $4 million/year.
Old 06-03-2012   #25
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think that is the key word there better coaching, a lot better scheme, and a lot better front 7
Wade/Vance Joseph >>>>>>>Bush/Gibbs

I am not saying Ball will make the team or anything, just my random thoughts
Wolf I think you need a few more > in there.

Quote:
The Texans didn't want Allen gone. There was just no way they could come close to matching the Bengals offer of $4 million/year.
I agree, he was a cap casualty.
Old 06-03-2012   #26
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If either of these guys makes the team do they affect our compensatory picks for next year since we signed them as FA? Also the Cowboys are desperate for CB's so I don't think they'd have let Ball go if he were any good. Camp bodies maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor.
IIRC vet minimum guys don't count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
At this point, I doubt guys like this are signing for anymore than veteran minimum, which does not influence the compensatory picks assuming I have the rules correct.

Anyway, Ball was liked more when he was 3rd/4th CB & special teams guy a couple years back. He then was given the starting FS job and was overmatched. Did not return to previous form in 2011, imo.
It's a complex question.

Compensatory picks are awarded the year after based on a complex, secret formula. From what I have been able to gather these are some of the factors:

1. Players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs are not counted.
2. Players earning minimum salaries do not count.
3. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.
4. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

So, if they truly signed for the Vet minimum and make the roster, they will not count in terms compensatory picks.

The easiest way to think about compensatory picks is to think of it like a +/- game. If you lose more than you sign, you get a compensatory pick. If you sign more than you lose, you don't. The round of the compensatory pick is based on salary, playing time, and other factors.

Hope that helps!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

1. Players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs are not counted.
Signing restricted free agents brings a different type of compensation. Those picks come from the team signing the RFA and the round is determined from the tender offered, or the round the player was drafted. Compensatory picks from the league are for losing free agents via expiring contracts. As you stated, players cut or waived do not count. The Colts will receive zip for Peyton Manning, for instance.
Old 06-03-2012   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

How does the James signing affect losing MW/Rackers/Briesel etc... compensatory picks?
Old 06-03-2012   #29
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How does the James signing affect losing MW/Rackers/Briesel etc... compensatory picks?
It doesn't, as James was signed for the vet minimum. The Texans are currently projected to receive picks for Mario, Jason Allen, Brisiel, and Dreessen. Rackers I believe signed a vet minimum deal with the Redskins.
Old 06-03-2012   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It doesn't, as James was signed for the vet minimum. The Texans are currently projected to receive picks for Mario, Jason Allen, Brisiel, and Dreessen. Rackers I believe signed a vet minimum deal with the Redskins.

Rackers is signed for 1 year $990k .
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #31
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Check the Texans depth chart at CB and RB. I think Ball and Forsett make this team easily.
Forsett yes, Ball doubtfull.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #32
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The vet minimum for 10 year+ vets is 910K, and Rackers is a 13 year vet. So he got a little more than the minimum, but likely not enough to warrant compensation. Right now, the Texans wouldn't be able to receive compensation for Rackers, as their is a limit of 4 compensatory picks per team and the Texans have lost a net 4 free agents with higher contract value than Rackers.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203027 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice if Wade could further the development of a 6'2" CB.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #34
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Which consists of annual salary of $925,000 (the minimum paragraph 5 salary for players with 10 or more years in the league), and a $65,000 signing bonus. I don't know how/if the bonus might affect any compensatory pick related to him. My guess is we'll get nothing (and like it).
Old 06-03-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer corners that can cover.
Old 06-04-2012   #36
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Re. comp picks.

On June 1, unsigned unrestricted free agents no longer count in the formula for figuring out compensatory picks for the 2013 draft. Basically, teams that lose more free agents than they sign are eligible to receive a compensatory pick. A team can receive as many as four, but the NFL management council doesn't figure out the 32 picks until after the season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/80...obvious-winner
Old 06-04-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Forsett yes, Ball doubtfull.
I think Ball will make the team at safety. We've got Quin, Manning, Nolan, Demps(?)....
Old 06-04-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think Ball will make the team at safety. We've got Quin, Manning, Nolan, Demps(?)....
They seem to like keo and Eddie pleasant a lot.

But we shall see. I'm not a keo fan at this point. I'd like to see him change my mind.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #39
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Is Demps still on the team?
Old 06-07-2012   #40
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Is Demps still on the team?
Yes, Quintin Demps was re-signed this offseason to a 1 year, $700k deal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read