Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-06-2012   #81
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jaguars 1st pick Justin Blackmon arrested Sunday for aggravated DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
Sincerely,

the 16 QBs who have started for the Dolphins since Marino retired
I guess players like Wes Walker and all the other Dolphin players since Marino's retirement don't count? I agree at franchise QB is necessary for success. The Dolphins QB's, like the Jags w/WR's, have been snake bitten. Watch Garrard win out in the Dolphins camp this season and produce a winning record! LOL
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #82
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Too many mootinis. I suggest you join Justin "Johnny Walker" Blackmon in rehab.
Nope, just enjoying pre-season Teal Kool Aid LOL. I think those damm Titans will sneak up this season too...watch out! This one is for Blackmon!
Old 06-06-2012   #83
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
A Jaguar never changes his spots.
And texans are just BULL?
Old 06-06-2012   #84
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I guess players like Wes Walker and all the other Dolphin players since Marino's retirement don't count? I agree at franchise QB is necessary for success. The Dolphins QB's, like the Jags w/WR's, have been snake bitten. Watch Garrard win out in the Dolphins camp this season and produce a winning record! LOL
You didn't get the point I was making, or I didn't get yours...the context was that everything was going to be A.O.K in Jacksonville once MJD was gone because it was the nature of the NFL for someone to step up. I brought up the Miami QBs as an obvious time when that didn't happen. Same could be said for Texans RBs until Arian Foster....
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #85
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It is amazing how many folks I know make comments about players/singers/actors/politicians, etc but they themselves guzzle alcohol like there is no tomorrow. Sunday night out by pool a 24 YOA male was telling me that he had a DWI in March and drove his huge pickup completely over the back and trunk from the side of a woman's vehicle. Fortunately neither were seriously hurt but really shook up. When I questioned the beer in his hand, he said "It is only my 5th, I am okay." I am not knocking the consumption of alcohol just lack of responsibility that many show and the desire to get blitzed to have a good time.
Old 06-06-2012   #86
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It is amazing how many folks I know make comments about players/singers/actors/politicians, etc but they themselves guzzle alcohol like there is no tomorrow. Sunday night out by pool a 24 YOA male was telling me that he had a DWI in March and drove his huge pickup completely over the back and trunk from the side of a woman's vehicle. Fortunately neither were seriously hurt but really shook up. When I questioned the beer in his hand, he said "It is only my 5th, I am okay." I am not knocking the consumption of alcohol just lack of responsibility that many show and the desire to get blitzed to have a good time.
I do not drink and drive anymore. Being single, that has really cut down on what was left of a very small social life. This does not mean I don't drink anymore, far from it, it just means I don't drink and drive.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #87
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Here's the press conference...blog...no video! http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog...discuss-justin

Said the same thing he said in 2010...Will seek rehab, but doesn't think he has a drinking problem? Seems like a big disconnect here! Why do I feel, he will get another DUI.
Old 06-06-2012   #88
mootini
1stdown!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
You didn't get the point I was making, or I didn't get yours...the context was that everything was going to be A.O.K in Jacksonville once MJD was gone because it was the nature of the NFL for someone to step up. I brought up the Miami QBs as an obvious time when that didn't happen. Same could be said for Texans RBs until Arian Foster....
I got what your are saying, but no team is OK, if their star player goes down or leaves. I believe things are looking up in Jax right now, that's all I was trying to say. No doom and gloom. It all rest in the hands of Gabby, where your franchise should rest it's future. If Gabbert can step up the passing game, this team can be a playoff contender. If not, back to square one...look what happens when Schabb goes down! If he can stay healthy this entire season...Texans are posed to do real good, possible SB?
Old 06-06-2012   #89
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

This is why you get them in rehab a.s.a.p. .... he doesn't see it, yet.

Blackmon was asked if he had a problem with alcohol considering his previous DUI arrest in college.

"I do not. I just made a poor choice. It was completely my fault. I just have to make better judgment," Blackmon said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...t-have-problem
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #90
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is why you get them in rehab a.s.a.p. .... he doesn't see it, yet.

Blackmon was asked if he had a problem with alcohol considering his previous DUI arrest in college.

"I do not. I just made a poor choice. It was completely my fault. I just have to make better judgment," Blackmon said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...t-have-problem
This is what I was trying to explain to SheTexan. Most alcoholics don't think they have a problem. I said the exact same things that Blackmon is saying at one point in my life. I would be shocked though if the Jags aren't mandating some type of treatment to this kid at this point. They have way too much invested in him. It may be quiet and behind the scenes, but they won't just say "ok, now don't do this again".
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #91
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact is that Blackmon is not "ready." Alcohol has been around for quite a while. It has invariably carried with it very similar problems through the centuries, even though each somewhat unique to their own associated contemporary times.

This very detailed historic / medical / statistical review of the success (or failure) of rehab essentially reinforces the fact that if success is to be had, it will only occur because and when the subject is ready for it to be. A worthwhile read whether you have a problem with alcohol or not.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #92
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I got what your are saying, but no team is OK, if their star player goes down or leaves. I believe things are looking up in Jax right now, that's all I was trying to say. No doom and gloom. It all rest in the hands of Gabby, where your franchise should rest it's future. If Gabbert can step up the passing game, this team can be a playoff contender. If not, back to square one...look what happens when Schabb goes down! If he can stay healthy this entire season...Texans are posed to do real good, possible SB?
Seems like blind hope to me, but don't let me take away from your optimism. Gabbert looks awful to me. MJD is getting old and beaten down. He will cave in the next season or two. Blackmon is a great talent, but is already looking like a suspension waiting to happen. The Jags are in a lot of trouble once again if you ask me.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #93
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope, just enjoying pre-season Teal Kool Aid LOL. I think those damm Titans will sneak up this season too...watch out! This one is for Blackmon!
Mess with the bull, you get the horns!
Old 06-06-2012   #94
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't worry about the Tinnbreds. They have Karma working against them as long as Pud Adams is alive with his cheap ass (i.e. making his cheerleaders ride a bus for a photoshoot in Florida).
Old 06-06-2012   #95
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241303 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This very detailed historic / medical / statistical review of the success (or failure) of rehab essentially reinforces the fact that if success is to be had, it will only occur because and when the subject is ready for it to be...
Studies are fine and all, but you never know when during the process someone will "get" it. I've witnessed hundreds & hundreds of people "come to the realization" months, even years after they had been forced to go on a drinking hiatus by some kind of trouble. One of your own kind, Doc -- hot-shot surgeon in Dallas at that fancy pants hospital ... choked out his Chief of Staff one day and then went up to the roof to jump off ... 30 days in treatment, arrogant throughout, didn't take ... about a year later he called me saying it just "clicked" for him one day. Sober ever since. That was 15 years ago.

I'll tell you this: the vast majority of people walking into a treatment facility don't want to quit -- not really quit. They just want the ____ to stop. (pain,bleeding,heat,shame,etc.)

You never know when the miracle might happen. Or to/for who/whom. There's no way to explain why one guy got it and the other died. And trust that most people with this problem end up as part of the "in-crowd" ..... in a hospital, in a jail, or in the ground.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #96
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
This is what I was trying to explain to SheTexan. Most alcoholics don't think they have a problem. I said the exact same things that Blackmon is saying at one point in my life. I would be shocked though if the Jags aren't mandating some type of treatment to this kid at this point. They have way too much invested in him. It may be quiet and behind the scenes, but they won't just say "ok, now don't do this again".
I understand what you are saying, but, I will refer to Cloaks post! I just believe the subject has to realize he/she has a problem before success can be obtained. BTW: I grew up in a dysfuctional family dominated with alcoholics, plus I was DUMB enough to marry one. One reason why I rarely touch the stuff today! So, I am not ignorant of the effect alcohol can have on an individual, or his/her family.

The key word is SUCCESS! He can go into rehab, whether mandated by the league, the Jags, or voluntary, but, chances are he will NOT be successful until he realizes he is an addict!! Hopefully, rehab will help him realize he has an issue, and he can get to the point that LIFE is more important than alcohol. I wish him the best.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #97
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Studies are fine and all, but you never know when during the process someone will "get" it. I've witnessed hundreds & hundreds of people "come to the realization" months, even years after they had been forced to go on a drinking hiatus by some kind of trouble. One of your own kind, Doc -- hot-shot surgeon in Dallas at that fancy pants hospital ... choked out his Chief of Staff one day and then went up to the roof to jump off ... 30 days in treatment, arrogant throughout, didn't take ... about a year later he called me saying it just "clicked" for him one day. Sober ever since. That was 15 years ago.

I'll tell you this: the vast majority of people walking into a treatment facility don't want to quit -- not really quit. They just want the ____ to stop. (pain,bleeding,heat,shame,etc.)

You never know when the miracle might happen. Or to/for who/whom. There's no way to explain why one guy got it and the other died. And trust that most people with this problem end up as part of the "in-crowd" ..... in a hospital, in a jail, or in the ground.
Everything you've written goes along with the person must be "ready"...........whether he's in AA, rehab, jail, in a hospital or just at home...........no one is going to be able to make that person "ready."
Old 06-06-2012   #98
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
I understand what you are saying, but, I will refer to Cloaks post! I just believe the subject has to realize he/she has a problem before success can be obtained. BTW: I grew up in a dysfuctional family dominated with alcoholics, plus I was DUMB enough to marry one. One reason why I rarely touch the stuff today! So, I am not ignorant of the effect alcohol can have on an individual, or his/her family.

The key word is SUCCESS! He can go into rehab, whether mandated by the league, the Jags, or voluntary, but, chances are he will NOT be successful until he realizes he is an addict!! Hopefully, rehab will help him realize he has an issue, and he can get to the point that LIFE is more important than alcohol. I wish him the best.
I can only speak for personal experiences with myself and others who have been able to change their lives. And also for those who weren't able to and lost their lives. One of the things that alcohol education teaches you is awareness. Awareness for what you're doing to yourself, your body, your loved ones, and potentially innocent people u come across. While Blackmon may not be "ready", he needs to be made fully aware of what he's doing to himself and others.

There are conversations I can remember word for word I had with people and those words keep me going forward. The reason I say it should be mandatory is because he needs to have everything taken away from him, talk to someone about whats causing him to drink so heavily, and really be forced to think about what his drinking could lead to. Will it be successful? Maybe not, but he would become a better man for it purely for understanding alone I can promise you that. Every alcoholic can't be saved so I'm not saying its a sure thing it would work, but its definitely something that I feel would greatly benefit him.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #99
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Blackmon could very well be following in the footsteps of this WR. Rogers was in mandated rehab at least 3 times during his NFL career. Arrest warrant issued for Charles Rogers
Old 06-08-2012   #100
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Jaguars’ Justin Blackmon: I’m done drinking for now

Quote:
By MARK LONG

AP Sports Writer
Last Modified: Jun 6, 2012 03:00PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Sitting between his coach and general manager, Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon stared at the ground for much of the 18-minute news conference Wednesday.

He looked every bit like a kid in trouble.

Blackmon apologized for his “poor judgment,” vowed to learn and grow from his latest alcohol-related arrest and insisted he doesn’t have a drinking problem. Nonetheless, he swore off alcohol for now.

“People are going to think what they are going to think,” Blackmon said. “Words are words. It’s my actions that are going to have to show.”

The first-round draft pick was arrested during a traffic stop in Stillwater, Okla., early Sunday after a breath test allegedly showed his blood alcohol content to be three times the legal limit. He appeared in an Oklahoma courtroom Monday and pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor count of driving under the influence. Blackmon was allowed to remain free on $1,000 bond. His next court date is July 24, three days before training camp.

In the meantime, he has plenty of work to do to restore his image.

“I just want to apologize and let people know that it’s not who I am, that’s not who I’m going to be,” he said.

It was Blackmon’s second alcohol-related incident in less than two years. He was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge in Texas in 2010 after officers caught him speeding on a suburban Dallas highway. The charge was later reduced to an underage alcohol possession charge.

He might not be so lucky this time around.

Although jail time is unlikely, Blackmon could end up on probation. He also could be suspended by the NFL, and Jaguars general manager Gene Smith said the arrest could affect contract negotiations.

Jacksonville traded up to select the former Oklahoma State star with the fifth pick in April’s NFL draft.

“At the time that we made the selection, we felt very good about the selection,” Smith said. “And I still do because I feel like I’ve got to take a man for his word. We have a chance to get him right. He’s a young player and he’s got to do his part.”

Blackmon declined to answer several questions about that night, citing the pending legal process.

But he made it clear he doesn’t feel like he has a drinking problem.

“I do not,” he said. “I just think I made a poor choice. I put myself in a bad situation. It’s completely my fault. I’ve just got to make better judgment on that.”

He said he would do whatever the league and the Jaguars ask of him. But he added that he’s up for the challenge of getting on the right path and staying there.

“I know they put a lot of pressure on me, but I put more pressure on myself to make this right and I’m going to put more pressure on myself, continue to do that, get out of this situation and to make it right,” he said. “It’s all about growing from your mistakes, learning from them and maturing and trying not to make the same ones over again.”

His big bombshell was that he has given up alcohol, at least for now.

“I’m done,” he said. “Right now, I’m done with all that. ... I can’t promise you 10 years down the road that I’m going to be done. I just know that as of right now and what I can speak of. I’m looking forward to getting ready to play football and putting this in the past.”

Coach Mike Mularkey expressed disappointment with Blackmon’s actions, especially since the coach brought in several former players recently to talk to the team about the importance of making good decisions.

“We have made a concerted effort for the last three weeks to bring in individuals to show how you should behave once you leave this building,” said Mularkey, who plans to continue the practice. “I’m not going to stop force-feeding it down their throats. ... It’s very important it’s done right.”

And Mularkey made it clear that Blackmon didn’t do anything right.

“Justin let a lot of people down, most importantly family, this organization, teammates,” Mularkey said. “It is a mistake that could turn into a very happy ending solely based on how he responds to this incident. Totally up to him. ... He can make it a good ending or continue the really horrible weekend.”

Blackmon sat quietly by as Mularkey and Smith spoke. There was nothing he could say or do to make it right — only time can change things now.

“I feel terrible,” Blackmon said. “Not only letting down this organization, but my family and friends back home, with the decision that I made, the poor, selfish decision that I made that could have all been changed.”
For now?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read