Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-24-2012   #401
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
to follow up what Pencil Neck said, clearly best value approach was something they derived at purely on basis of need with using two early mid round picks. this is where best value presented itself so Rick Smith & Texans took advantage of what they felt was plus value @ WR position's.
Its just a gut feeling but I dont think anyone we drafted or signed as an UFA is going to help much this year. We are pinning our hopes on LeStarr Jean.....really need another veteran and at this point I would take a flyer on Plaxico. He wont be expensive and seems to have a small chip on his shulder. Texans were interested last year so why not roll the dice on the cheap?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #402
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got to admit I've got that nervous feeling I had when we went with the kiddie corners. I really hope at least one of Jean/Posey/Martin can step up as a big time play maker.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #403
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Its just a gut feeling but I dont think anyone we drafted or signed as an UFA is going to help much this year. We are pinning our hopes on LeStarr Jean.....really need another veteran and at this point I would take a flyer on Plaxico. He wont be expensive and seems to have a small chip on his shulder. Texans were interested last year so why not roll the dice on the cheap?
It's MAY.

There's a good chance of more vet WRs getting cut.

We've got a long way to go before we have all our pieces in place. That may mean going with the WRs we've got but odds are we'll pick up one vet WR before it's all said and done.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #404
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
In Kubiaks first Six drafts he used two 7th rounders , a 6th and one premium pick at WR - that being Pea Brain in the 3rd round of 07.
Not arguing your overall point and I may have missed where you mentioned him but Kubiak also paid a 7th for Kevin Walter as a RFA.
Old 05-24-2012   #405
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
IIRC, Plaxico was interested in the Texans. I don't remember the Texans ever showing any interest in him last year.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #406
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not arguing your overall point and I may have missed where you mentioned him but Kubiak also paid a 7th for Kevin Walter as a RFA.
The Broncos of the 90's had Rod Smith an UDFA and Ed McCaffery as their WRs .
Old 05-24-2012   #407
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
It's MAY.

There's a good chance of more vet WRs getting cut.

We've got a long way to go before we have all our pieces in place. That may mean going with the WRs we've got but odds are we'll pick up one vet WR before it's all said and done.
The Patriots are likely to cut some very interesting names pretty soon. I've been saying that I want a guy who can come in to push for starting playing time. I don't want to stunt the growth of our young guys, but you usually see rookies start to make strides about mid-season playing receiver. We can't afford to wait until then IMO.

There's a guy sitting out there who I would bring in without a question who would provide an upgrade to Kevin Walter, but we're stubborn as a FO about who we bring in.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #408
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The Patriots are likely to cut some very interesting names pretty soon. I've been saying that I want a guy who can come in to push for starting playing time. I don't want to stunt the growth of our young guys, but you usually see rookies start to make strides about mid-season playing receiver. We can't afford to wait until then IMO.

There's a guy sitting out there who I would bring in without a question who would provide an upgrade to Kevin Walter, but we're stubborn as a FO about who we bring in.
Plaxico? I think quite a few people are advocating for him. I wouldn't mind him coming in at least for camp.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #409
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24999 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
Plaxico? I think quite a few people are advocating for him. I wouldn't mind him coming in at least for camp.
Braylon Edwards is a guy who I think would be better for this offense, and probably would come just as cheap. Big body, willing blocker, able to stretch the field, and has played in a similar offense.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #410
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I didnt mention it .... as my post was in response to GP's who mentioned Walter specifically as being the only WR Kubiak has aquired.

Cant complain about the bag of chips given the Bungles in exchange for Walter considering the production.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #411
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didnt mention it .... as my post was in response to GP's who mentioned Walter specifically as being the only WR Kubiak has aquired.

Cant complain about the bag of chips given the Bungles in exchange for Walter considering the production.
They knew their record with WRs and that's probably why they held on to JJ which is ironic considering JJ can't hang on to much .
Old 05-24-2012   #412
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In a round about sort of way, they did.

Going into the draft, Smith said over and over that this draft was deep at WR. There were a lot of guys (off the top of my head: Randle, Toon, Sanu, etc.) who would have gone in the 1st-3rd round other years that dropped to later rounds because there were so many talented guys available OR because of character concerns.

Prior to his suspension, Posey was considered a 2nd round talent. A lot of people red-flagged him because of those suspensions as a "bad character" guy but on reviewing why he was suspended, he's really not. He's a very talented receiver that we basically stole because a lot of people slept on him.

Dwight Jones is possibly even more talented and has more potential than Posey except that he DOES have real character concerns. If he hadn't screwed around, he easily could have been drafted in the 2nd round.

Walterfootball had Jones AND K-Mart ranked higher than Posey although I think they were giving too much emphasis to Posey's suspensions.

So, in effect, we got 3 guys at WR who could be considered early round prospects, we just got them in later rounds. So that's a good deal, right?
I doubt NFL teams went to sleep on Posey but not Jones. It's ok but I'm reading in your posts more personal opinion rather than NFL out to get Posey. It's possible that the GMs had a truer eval than you. We just have to wait and see. I hope you are right & I am wrong.
Old 05-24-2012   #413
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
They knew their record with WRs and that's probably why they held on to JJ which is ironic considering JJ can't hang on to much .
They held onto JJ because he does have all world talent .... and he flashed it just often enough to keep the team as well as many fans believing in him , believing year after year that he would finally turn the proverbial corner .... He made improvement year over year from 2008-10 but took a step back in 2011.

It took the events in Baltimore to seal his fate as a Texan .... For the team to give up on that talent. He just doesnt have the brain to go with the physical gifts.

Old 05-24-2012   #414
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I doubt NFL teams went to sleep on Posey but not Jones. It's ok but I'm reading in your posts more personal opinion rather than NFL out to get Posey. It's possible that the GMs had a truer eval than you. We just have to wait and see. I hope you are right & I am wrong.
Who's to say that another team wouldnt have drafted Posey soon after had the Texans pased on him ??

Old 05-24-2012   #415
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I shouldn't have said that other NFL teams went to sleep on Posey. Ultimately, we have no idea how team's boards looked. Let's say we take Randle at that spot (EDIT: I mean when we had the chance), there's no way to know where Posey would have ended up. He might have been the next WR off the board and he might have gone undrafted... although I doubt that.

But we know that Posey dropped on non-NFL Mock boards. And I think THOSE guys went to sleep on him.

I don't think anyone went to sleep on Jones. Jones has legitimate character concerns and those showed up in his Combine and Senior Bowl performances. Walterfootball had him going in the 5th to the Bengals.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #416
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who's to say that another team wouldnt have drafted Posey soon after had the Texans pased on him ??
Yep we can speculate in one hand and.....
Old 05-24-2012   #417
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I shouldn't have said that other NFL teams went to sleep on Posey. Ultimately, we have no idea how team's boards looked. Let's say we take Randle at that spot (EDIT: I mean when we had the chance), there's no way to know where Posey would have ended up. He might have been the next WR off the board and he might have gone undrafted... although I doubt that.

But we know that Posey dropped on non-NFL Mock boards. And I think THOSE guys went to sleep on him.

I don't think anyone went to sleep on Jones. Jones has legitimate character concerns and those showed up in his Combine and Senior Bowl performances. Walterfootball had him going in the 5th to the Bengals.
I wasn't criticising your choice of words just that perhaps other GMs thought Posey's issues were more of a flag than do you or as I think he is not as good as some think. Again, like I did with KJ, he is on the team now & hope he does well.
Old 05-24-2012   #418
TexanCR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a quote form Kubiak today, regarding the WRs:

“Flashes. They’re all what we thought they were. Getting a little fatigued right now. That bothers me. You’ve got to be able to run all day. (DeVier) Posey is out here pretty tired today. We’ve got to get those guys, condition-wise, to where they can do it all day long. But talent-wise, it’s exactly what we thought we were going to get.”

I know it preseson but kmoon you should be prepared...he's just losing his chances with Jean getting already first team reps.

Too early to tell and also we will see how Ruben Randle plays with NYG since Hakeem Nicks will be out 3 months. He will get the starting role and we will see if we miss out on him and made a huge mistake.
TexanCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #419
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanCR View Post
Here is a quote form Kubiak today, regarding the WRs:

“Flashes. They’re all what we thought they were. Getting a little fatigued right now. That bothers me. You’ve got to be able to run all day. (DeVier) Posey is out here pretty tired today. We’ve got to get those guys, condition-wise, to where they can do it all day long. But talent-wise, it’s exactly what we thought we were going to get.”

I know it preseson but kmoon you should be prepared...he's just losing his chances with Jean getting already first team reps.

Too early to tell and also we will see how Ruben Randle plays with NYG since Hakeem Nicks will be out 3 months. He will get the starting role and we will see if we miss out on him and made a huge mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kubiak
They’re young, I’ll can tell you that. It’s exciting because we’ve got a lot of ability to work with but obviously we’ve got a long, long way to go. It’ll be interesting to see how they sort themselves out. It’s a great opportunity for them. I mean, you look at Lestar Jean is working as a starter right now. As a player, all you can ask for is to get on the field, and if you do it, you’re not coming off. That’s the way this thing works. I’m going to rotate them every week. I think I’ll change them up, change the depth chart and see who’s going to stand out, who’s going to help our football team. But they’re all going to get an opportunity.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...0-6f0e11a733ae

After making my comment earlier in the thread, this came out or I read it soon after. I'm not worried about it right now.
Old 05-24-2012   #420
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yep we can speculate in one hand and.....
And you are speculating he wouldnt have been ..... works both ways

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read