Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2012   #361
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Here's an SI.com article on Posey, specifically the Texans' choice of him, and a few screen shots that they analyzed.

Pretty decent article. Here's an excerpt:
no long speed and afraid of the middle of the field is his downside. Nice.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #362
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I believe you're confusing Devier Posey with Dwight Jones.
My apologies to board as I stand corrected. I did think it was Posey with the party/name issues. Thanks for heads up.
Old 05-11-2012   #363
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Classic darkhorse. under the radar/studied among 2012 WR class. what Kubiak likes is his ability to create separation in & out of breaks. DeVier possess the upside needed to succeed in the NFL making him a great value with a mid 3rd rd. pick. Posey killed the Ducks in 2010 Rose Bowl he could not be covered, caught everything thrown to him 8 receptions 101 yards, 12.6 yards per catch & game winning TD. He is the type of receiver who excels in the redzone, combination of creating space & awareness, knowing how to help the QB. Toughness over the middle is one reason they took Martin, who is more of a slot WR, in 4th also great value considering he will return kicks as well.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #364
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Here's an SI.com article on Posey, specifically the Texans' choice of him, and a few screen shots that they analyzed.

Pretty decent article. Here's an excerpt:

And...
I'll tell ya' ... these writers (Chris Burke, in this instance)... they like to find fault and something to write about, at times they just don't watch enough tapes and/or don't watch it closely enough - understandable, as they had to write about a lot of different players, they skimmed through the tapes.

In doing so, they did themselves a disservice.

Burke got several things wrong:
- Route running is Posey's strong suite.
- Catching the ball in traffic is not a bad part of his game.

Think about it... A guy with no deep speed that can't run route and is afraid of going in the middle... Would there be a team stupid enough to draft such a guy in the third round?

I can get to the specific play(s) when I have some time, but I don't think it's really necessary.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #365
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'll tell ya' ... these writers (Chris Burke, in this instance)... they like to find fault and something to write about, at times they just don't watch enough tapes and/or don't watch it closely enough - understandable, as they had to write about a lot of different players, they skimmed through the tapes.

In doing so, they did themselves a disservice.

Burke got several things wrong:
- Route running is Posey's strong suite.
- Catching the ball in traffic is not a bad part of his game.

Think about it... A guy with no deep speed that can't run route and is afraid of going in the middle... Would there be a team stupid enough to draft such a guy in the third round?

I can get to the specific play(s) when I have some time, but I don't think it's really necessary.
I agree, but to be fair I don't think he was saying that is who Posey is but rather he has shown a tendency to do those things.

And I don't even know if it's a tendency really. Just a couple of not so great moments.

But I agree with your point that he has shown the ability to do those things more than he has shown to not do them.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how he adjusts to the NFL.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #366
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Very Nice breakdown of Posey's Game

Click on the link for a 76 style breakdown. While I don't agree with a few things he said, I think a lot of people are just unsure of what to make of Posey. Having a true QB throwing the ball to him will improve his game drastically I believe though.

Quote:
In the Seinfeld episode “The Soul Mate,” George tries to prove that there’s a massive conspiracy against him at his deceased wife’s charitable foundation. At one point, he gives an enthusiastic speech to Jerry about the situation and closes by stating, “That’s what we know.”

Jerry replies, “But we already knew that!”

And that, in a nutshell, is where we are with DeVier Posey. You want to study his game, learn what type of player he is? Well, then you may as well pull out the film from 2009 or ’10, or check out what people had to say when it looked like he might enter the supplemental draft last summer.

We really don’t have any new information regarding Posey as a player, since he was suspended for the first 10 games of his senior season because of his involvement in the Ohio State off-field scandal that took down Jim Tressel.

Upon his return to the lineup in 2011, Posey caught 12 passes in three games.

So, we have to dip a little deeper into the tape to find out what the Houston Texans added with the 68th pick in the draft. The Texans needed to find some depth at wide receiver, especially after stumbling without Andre Johnson in the lineup last season.

Is Posey capable of being a go-to guy for the Texans? It might be awhile until there’s an answer.

Even in diving back to Posey’s previous seasons, it’s important to remember that he had Terrelle Pryor throwing to him, so his numbers (6o catches in 2009, 53 in 2010) certainly were not aided by that fact.

There’s a pretty wide variance in Posey’s game, too, with a lot of good mingling with some obvious bad to create an uncertain picture. We’ll open on the glass half-full side of things …

The 6-foot-2, 211-pound Posey has a high quota of playmaking ability and, if he’s single-covered while teams pay attention to Johnson, looks like he can find some seams. The play below comes from Ohio State’s win over Miami in 2010, with Pryor at QB.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #367
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL Draft Player Spotlight- DeVier Posey
Byron Lambert, Rosterwatch.com

NFL Comparison:

Brandon LaFell, Steve Breaston, Nate Burleson, Kevin Walter, Mohamed Massaquoi
Senior Bowl Spotlight

So we are replacing Kevin Walter with...well...Kevin Walter....
Old 05-12-2012   #368
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL Comparison:
Brandon LaFell, Steve Breaston, Nate Burleson, Kevin Walter, Mohamed Massaquoi
Posey compares to Steve Breaston and Kevin Walter? Breaston is a reed-thin slot receiver. Walter is 225lb possession receiver who is instrumental in the run game. Which one is Posey?

Internet scouts....
Old 05-12-2012   #369
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The problem is the writer sometimes describes the play all wrong; therefore, the conclusion he drew from that play is incorrect.

Start with the "not so good" part, Chris Burke brought up a play in the Sugar Bowl as followed:

"It’s a good start to the play, with Posey beating tight coverage at the line and getting inside the corner covering him. However, that corner had deep safety help, which means Posey and Pryor had to run everything to perfection to complete a slant pattern.
That’s not quite what happened.
Posey’s there with space, but Pryor’s throw sailed a bit. Worse yet, for our specific study, Posey short-armed his catch attempt, no doubt hearing the footsteps from the closing safety.
That’s an issue that comes up again and again with Posey. He’ll go over the middle, he might even make some catches in traffic — he scored against Indiana in 2009 on a play similar to this one, where he plucked the ball and secured it before being rocked at the goal line. But he’ll drop some passes that he shouldn’t and he will shy from contact at times."

That was not what happened, Burke!

Posey lined up a couple yards outside the numbers.
The Buckeyes ran a 4-vertical pattern with Posey the lone receiver on the right; the Razorbacks were in man coverage with a single deep safety.

Posey ran a seam route (not a slant).
He opened up the CB by faking an outside release and beat him to the inside.

Posey started to look for the ball around the 15yd-mark from the LOS.
This is where the ball should have been aimed at; somewhere between 15-18 yards to avoid the safety.

However, the ball sailed high as it was thrown to 22-23 yards.

Pryor locked onto his target too soon; he never moved the safety with his eyes; this allowed the safety to converge quickly.

Remember that it was a 4-vertical against a single deep safety.
All Pryor had to do is to look straight downfield (he didn't) at the safety to hold him there for a little bit.

Or failing that, he could have just thrown the ball a couple of yards shorter and Posey would have had an easy catch.

The ball sailed high; Posey reached out with one hand, but it was just too far away.

I don't get how Burke can say that Posey "short-armed" his catch attempt on an overthrown ball.

He even chose the "best" camera angle to try to fool people into believing his point.
And with that he concluded that Posey short-armed it because he was "no doubt" hearing footsteps from the closing safety.

No Burke, the guy who needs more consistency is you!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #370
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Great analysis 76T.
Old 05-12-2012   #371
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was not what happened, Burke!
No Burke, the guy who needs more consistency is you!
Exactly, rack him! MSR Gotta do a more credible job with SI.

Here's the play cued up & slow-mo: http://youtu.be/xEkBl91EJsk?t=3m54s If Burke had just listened to the commentator he'd have done a better job.

Quote:
Pryor locked onto his target too soon; he never moved the safety with his eyes; this allowed the safety to converge quickly.
That's the one thing that jumped out at me more than anything watching these older cutups -- Pryor locks on worse than even Leinart, imo. It's like there's always only one WR in pattern. Makes a receiver's job a lot tougher.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #372
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Exactly, rack him! MSR Gotta do a more credible job with SI.

Here's the play cued up & slow-mo: http://youtu.be/xEkBl91EJsk?t=3m54s If Burke had just listened to the commentator he'd have done a better job.

That's the one thing that jumped out at me more than anything watching these older cutups -- Pryor locks on worse than even Leinart, imo. It's like there's always only one WR in pattern. Makes a receiver's job a lot tougher.

Exactly! 76 did a much better job than saying what I disagreed with than I would have done. The thing about playing with inconsistent QB's who move around a lot is it sometimes gets receivers into some bad habits. Burke said that Posey isn't a good route runner, but that's just not true in my opinion. When you have an inaccurate QB who scrambles a lot you're not going to be used to the ball being delivered on time consistently.

That's why I'm excited to see what he's going to do in this offense. He won't have that problem here of worrying about QB's moving around and can simply play within the system. I've also seen him make some tough catches where he took big shots so I'm not worried about him shying away from contact either.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #373
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69008 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Here he is at an autograph signing (I guess?) in his uni. Damn, that collar!

Edit:

Another pic

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT

Last edited by False Start; 05-19-2012 at 08:51 PM.
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #374
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
just like arian fosters lack of speed and poor vision..
Old 05-19-2012   #375
TexanCR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respected

Great finding "False Start"! Nice to see him and put a Texans picture on this guy. Hopefully he will pan out, however Im affraid that I will always measure him againts Rueben Randle since we past on him to get Posey.

Time will tell.
TexanCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #376
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #377
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
just like arian fosters lack of speed and poor vision..
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #378
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Posey is working with the threes right now. He’ll stay with the young group. I could tell of his progress last week, my initial reaction was very good. I think the more information we gave him toward the end of the week, obviously they bog down a little bit. He’s got a lot of ability. He just needs the reps, so we’ll take it a day at a time. - Kubiak at Monday OTAs
Sounds like he has a ways to go.
Old 05-22-2012   #379
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
A rookie who played three games last year in college, on the second day of OTAs ?

Surely you jest?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #380
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
not if we can find him a "bog" to play in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read