Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-15-2012   #41
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Surprise cut or trade this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Cutting the third starting lineman from last years starting Oline in the person of one Wade Smith would indeed be a big surprise.
What I think is very possible is cutting the projected starter for this season at RG, Antoine Caldwell. They've drafted 2 players this year using mid round picks who could play that position, and then they've got another young guard in Shelly Smith coming back who will compete for snaps at the guard position.
And Caldwell has basically been a disappointment for the Texans.
I don't think it is "very possible" cutting Caldwell at all. I know he didn't play as well as Brisiel when Brisiel went down, but I think that was due to him having nagging injuries this past season. I think the Texans are counting on him to be the RG while they groom Shelley Smith and Brooks, and I don't think they are disappointed in him. I've only heard this disappointment coming from the fans.

Now, I don't believe they would get rid of Wade Smith either since, like you said, that would be the 3rd starting lineman lost. But, the question was who do you think would be a surprise cut or trade, and I still think Wade Smith would be the lineman most likely to go due to his age and his drop off in play last season. Not saying this will happen, because I don't think it will due to the added loss of continuity in the line. But, at this time, and unless he is rejuvenated, I think Wade Smith will be the one looking over his shoulder at Shelley and Brandon.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #42
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
None of the veteran OL are in danger. We need all of 'em since the departure of Winston and Brisiel.

Walter is not in danger. Kubiak values him as a veteran WR who has reliable hands and blocks in the run game. Plus, never let it slip from your mind that Walter caught the game winning pass vs. Bengals in a clutch moment on the road. That cements his value as a WR who can be trusted in big games.

Truth is, we're skinny at every position. Ryans, Dreessen, Jacoby, Winston, Brisiel, Mario, and Allen represent 5 different positions on our team that require a depth chart "up flow" and then 3rd stringers who now become 2nd stringers.

I don't see any surprise cuts. Like its been said, the surprise cuts/departures have already happened. Now it's a deal of figuring out depth chart slots.

This is the safest year for Texans players because of how much Gary values continuity and how it connects with all the key players who left us. If you just do your job, you make the roster. Because the herd has already been thinned out ahead of time.
This! ^^^^ rep
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012   #43
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Shaun Cody (not probable but, IMO, most likely)

If Mitchell's weight gain is as beneficial as I think it will be, I think Earl wins out the starting job. The other thing that needs to happen for Cody to be cut would be for Fangupo to hit the ground running and show in the preseason that he's serviceable as Mitchell's backup.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Same for Andre Johnson, right?
Getting there. A lot of factors mitigate it though in AJ's case. Still AJ's got a lot of miles and years on him. He's been banged up a lot in recent seasons and I think if the Texans aren't searching for a guy who can step in for AJ to at least some degree then they're crazy.
Old 05-16-2012   #45
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
I don't see Schaub as injury prone. His last 2 injuries were Jared Allen diving into his knee (an illegal and dirty play) and a 300+lb fatty landing on his foot. Anyone could suffer the same injuries in those situations. Injury prone, in my mind, are describes guys that have chronic muscle strain issues, chronic concussions, back issues ect ...

I would consider MW more injury prone than Schaub, heck AJ may have more issues than Schaub going forward. Contact injuries to joints can happen to anyone.

Also, if you're trading Schaub you'd get waaaay more than a 4 or 5. Hell Plamer pulled multi first rounders. At this point Schaub is the superior QB

It's true. Anybody could get hurt in those situations. I think we've established with very little doubt that Schaub will get hurt in those situations.

Some guys just break easier than others. Some guys find themselves getting hit in bad ways regularly. Remember the kids you grew up with who always broke something or had some kind of scrape or cut? Some kids you just don't trust to carry the knife over to mom.

At some point you have to just look objectively at the number of games a player has missed and admit that this player gets hurt a lot. Then you have to decide if he's so good that you're willing to run with that chance or if you think there's a guy out there who can take the same beating and not miss as much time.
Old 05-17-2012   #46
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems to me that with the Winston cut, letting Mario walk (I know, no real choice), the DeMeco trade, the turning over of our roster is happening right before our eyes. It would not amaze me to see Antonio Smith or K.W. or O.D. or Cody "moved" this year or next.

As for movement this season, I agree with GP; the "surprises" have already happened.

And Schaub ain't goin' no place until Yates or Beck or maybe even Keenum can show that one of them can step in and effectively run this offense. Yates' 1-3 record as starter doesn't inspire confidence from my knothole. And Beck (who's the same age as Schaub) seems to be your basic journeyman backup. Keenum is, IMHO, the best bet for the future until they spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #47
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's true. Anybody could get hurt in those situations. I think we've established with very little doubt that Schaub will get hurt in those situations.

Some guys just break easier than others. Some guys find themselves getting hit in bad ways regularly. Remember the kids you grew up with who always broke something or had some kind of scrape or cut? Some kids you just don't trust to carry the knife over to mom.

At some point you have to just look objectively at the number of games a player has missed and admit that this player gets hurt a lot. Then you have to decide if he's so good that you're willing to run with that chance or if you think there's a guy out there who can take the same beating and not miss as much time.
I understand where you're coming from, but I think the body is just not meant to handle certain forces. Tom Brady got injured on the exact same type of play as the Allen hit on Schaub, and I think any QB would get hurt if a 270+ lb DLman dove into their knee. The knee can't handle that type of hit. I view the foot injury the same way, if a giant man falls and lands on your foot the wrong way, it's going to break, and it could happen to anyone. Personally, Im not ready to label a guy as injury prone when his injuries could have legitimately happened to any athlete in the same situation.

When I think injury prone, I think of athletes like Yao, Tracy McGrady or (going back a little) Brent Price. These guy's bodies just had issues, Yao with his feet, TMac with his back and heck Price tore his ACL running down the court. These guys are injury prone. There are plenty of similar examples in the NFL but these jumped out at me.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #48
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
It seems to me that with the Winston cut, letting Mario walk (I know, no real choice), the DeMeco trade, the turning over of our roster is happening right before our eyes. It would not amaze me to see Antonio Smith or K.W. or O.D. or Cody "moved" this year or next.

As for movement this season, I agree with GP; the "surprises" have already happened.

And Schaub ain't goin' no place until Yates or Beck or maybe even Keenum can show that one of them can step in and effectively run this offense. Yates' 1-3 record as starter doesn't inspire confidence from my knothole. And Beck (who's the same age as Schaub) seems to be your basic journeyman backup. Keenum is, IMHO, the best bet for the future until they spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB.
How do you calculate a 1-3 record for Yates as a starter? In the regular season, he was 2-3 with his two wins coming against the Falcons and Bengals. In the post-season, he was 1-1. Overall, he's 3-4 with all three wins coming against playoff teams.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #49
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the Schaub deal is that far fetched. I think he is definitely a better QB than Yates but for what the Texans are starting to do, they don't need a 4,000 yard guy anymore. He struggled some last year before injuries and Yates showed he could manage games..even without AJ at times...and get results. Once they moved to a "running the ball, playing tough D, ball control" type team vs airing it out, the whole dynamic of Schaub and how valuable he had to be changed.
Old 05-17-2012   #50
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
How do you calculate a 1-3 record for Yates as a starter? In the regular season, he was 2-3 with his two wins coming against the Falcons and Bengals. In the post-season, he was 1-1. Overall, he's 3-4 with all three wins coming against playoff teams.
I would say 2-2 in regular season, he only played one series against Titans.
Old 05-17-2012   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
I would say 2-2 in regular season, he only played one series against Titans.
Good point, and he was 4-4 in that game.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #52
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in the "suprises have already happened" camp.
I don't see Schaub going anywhere. Nor do I see him as a Chris Chandler type. Most of Schaub's injuries have been the kind that would sideline any QB and more the product of bad luck than fragility. Still, injured is injured and there has to be a concern. It would take a miraculous showing by any of the backups to get Kubiak to even consider moving Schaub.
Old 05-19-2012   #53
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 64171 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

DocBar every time i see your sig I think of this from Scary Movie 3:

Quote:
Cindy: Something weird is going on at your farm. I know it.

George: I don't know what you're talking about. Sometimes a sheep just needs to be pushed through the fence.
Old 05-19-2012   #54
Grforces
Veteran

Section: anywhere and everywhere
Rep Power: 67 Grforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respectedGrforces is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If he shows by mid-season that he can still take the field, and another team has a QB go down, we may be able to get a fourth or fifth for him. Nothing BB about this guys last grasp at glory in the league, IMHO. He may turn out to be a serviceable starter for a desperate team needing to finish the season or groom a young gun, otherwise he should be a back-up until he retires, if he can play again at all.

Honestly a 4th or 5th for Shaub? There are alot of teams of there that would love to have him, including 49rs, Titans, Vikings, even the Jets. He is worth more than a 4 or even a 3rd. He is a above average QB in a league that is starving for one that can manage a game and also throw for crazy numbers. Just IMHO
Grforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #55
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You're right. Don't know why but I forgot about the Falcon game.

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012   #56
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforces View Post
He is a above average QB in a league that is starving for one that can manage a game and also throw for crazy numbers. Just IMHO
Ditto

http://houston.sbnation.com/houston-...the-super-bowl
Old 05-20-2012   #57
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grforces View Post
Honestly a 4th or 5th for Shaub? There are alot of teams of there that would love to have him, including 49rs, Titans, Vikings, even the Jets. He is worth more than a 4 or even a 3rd. He is a above average QB in a league that is starving for one that can manage a game and also throw for crazy numbers. Just IMHO
2008 Texans 3,043 yards 15 TD 10 INT

Yep, thats crazy right? All those yards and still.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read