Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-11-2012   #21
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why are Texans ONLY team in NFL not holding Rookie Camp

I distinctly remember Kubiak talking about having the rookies in for about a week without the vets. Don't know if it's an official camp or not though.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I distinctly remember Kubiak talking about having the rookies in for about a week without the vets. Don't know if it's an official camp or not though.
There are rules and restrictions in the CBA about this sort of stuff. They can't do it on a "non-official" basis.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

NFL rookie mini-camps, Part 2
Quote:
For those who did the math, you get a Texas-sized star on your forehead — the Houston Texans aren't holding a rookie camp.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #24
KMG 365
Veteran

Rep Power: 1251 KMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respectedKMG 365 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rookies report to Reliant on May 13. Next week they'll do some classroom work and start working with Cedric Smith on their strength and conditioning. They'll hang out with the vets in the locker room and start the ever important chemistry between the players.

Here are some quotes from Kubiak about the rookies:

Quote:
“We’ll spend that whole next week with them preparing them for OTAs, so we’ll get a good five days in,” Kubiak said. “What I do at the back end of the OTAs with our mini-camp is I like to kind of dedicate that to our younger players, now that they know what we’re doing. They’re up to speed offensively and defensively, and our scouts and everybody in the organization can get a better feel of evaluating who can come help us come fall time.”

Kubiak said the first thing the Texans do with rookies is dissect how far along they are physically.

“All players are different,” Kubiak said. “There are some guys way ahead, and some guys need to really start from scratch. That’s our job as coaches right now, to figure that out as they come in. You’ve got to make sure that you don’t just throw those guys right in with your vets. I mean, our guys work, boy. I tell you, Cedric works the heck out of ‘em, and we’ve got a team that’s really impressive out there right now, in great physical condition.

“So it’ll be a rude awakening for ‘em, but I think that’s what that first week is for. They kind of figure it out. We get ‘em in the locker room, they get to go sit down next to Brian Cushing, J.J. Watt, Matt Schaub and get all that stage fright out of the way and kind of start to fit in, and then we get into OTAs where they can relax a little bit and start to figure out what’s going on so that they’re ready to compete once training camp comes.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...b-6d296a673c0e
KMG 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012   #25
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I know, I was just adding an additional thought.

If I remember correctly, Brown was our only holdout, and I think he missed something like 2 hours? Could be wrong though.
Thats the only one I can recall being even close to a "holdout" if you want to call it that.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #26
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, any time you go away from the expected route you have a chance for it to succeed or fail. Just because the other 31 teams are doing it a certain way doesn't necessarily make that the right way.

I can see the logic, instead of spending a week with the rookies before the vets get there, teaching them the drills etc, you let the vets help them learn the drills and then have a week at the end to coach them up based on the strengths and weaknesses they've shown during that time. Could work out pretty well.

Just hope it doesn't hold the vets back too much, it'd be fair to assume that Wade's playbook will open up even more due to last years offseason etc, and because he knows the vets a lot better than simply having watched them on tape in a different (failed) system.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read