Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2012   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where would you put Cushing among top 10 ILB's as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I like Cushing over Willis. I realize that puts me in the minority, but I'm OK with that. Tackles are a funny stat. To me, Cush makes more game changing plays. His rookie season was definitely more full of game changing plays, like turnovers (and a badass safety), and last year was a return to that form, for the most part.
Willis gets to plays that Cushing wishes he could get to. I like Cush quite a bit, so this ain't a cut down...just reality.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

My list:

1. Lewis, there's something to be said for high quality longevity.
2a. Willis.
2b. Cushing, a tie for 2nd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #23
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Willis is definitely clear-cut #1. I'm not sure where Cush lies. Top 4 or 5, probably.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #24
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
1. Patrick Willis - I am a Texans fan but I have to give this guy credit. To me he is the best, no 1 & 1a. Patrick Willis is a Monster, period. In 2007 he had 174 tackles and is averaging 138.4 tackles in his 5 year career. That is insane.
id take cushing over willis but dont watch willis every week so i realise im biased and willis is likely to be picked by most...

however your post reminded me of something i read a couple yrs back complaining that willis' tackles stats are the most over-inflated in the nfl because the game announcers at 49ers home games used to give him sole credit for gang tackles etc even if he was one of the last ones in on it because he was such a crowd favourite. i wish i could find it but didnt see anything on google and its a few yrs old like i said
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #25
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

found it.... i remembered it because i started a thread on it at the time. dont know how relevat it is as you seem to have quoted his press box tackles figure

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52378

Quote:
Middle linebacker Patrick Willis of the San Francisco 49ers was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2007.

If you trust his statistics, he should have been the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year as well. Maybe even the NFL Defensive Player of the Decade.

Willis was credited with 226 tackles by the 49ers – a staggering 42 more than the league's next most prolific tackler, Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens.

Willis collected 117 more tackles than the starting NFC middle linebacker in the Pro Bowl (Lofa Tatupu, Seattle Seahawks) and 99 more than the AFC starter (Demeco Ryans, Houston Texans). Was Willis that much more active, that much more proficient than any other defensive player in the NFL?

But I don't trust the statistics – not tackle stats, anyway.

Each NFL team employs a stat crew for its home games. That crew's final statistics are deemed official by the league office: yardage for rushing, passing, receiving and various kick returns plus field goal and punting distances, sacks, interceptions, touchdowns ...

But 28 of the 32 NFL teams do not acknowledge the press box tackle stats as official. On the Monday following games, NFL defensive coaching staffs break down the films on their own and award a new set of tackle numbers. Those are listed by each team as its "official" tackle count.

Willis was credited with 174 tackles by NFL stat crews in 2007. Upon further review, the San Francisco coaches gave him credit for 52 more tackles, bumping his "official" count to 226.
San Francisco linebacker Patrick Willis wrapped up Minnesota's Adrian Peterson for one of his NFL-leading 226 tackles last season. But was it a legitimate total?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #26
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
found it.... i remembered it because i started a thread on it at the time. dont know how relevat it is as you seem to have quoted his press box tackles figure

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52378
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #27
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Lewis
2) Cushing

Those are my top two. Who falls in line after that, I don't know. When I watch Willis play, I don't see the same type of fire I do from Cush and Ray. Willis is super athletic and can make some plays that these guys can't make, but I think both Cushing and Lewis are better in the middle of the field while Willis has more range.

JMO.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #28
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Brian Cushing doesn't go where you put him, he goes where he wants.

Call me a homer, but I say #1.
the football gods have changed the name of ILB to BC = brian cushing there for the question should be who is the best brian cushing?!

When Brian Cushing runs, he causes earthquakes across the world. when cushing tackles the opposing player, out of respect, the refs call it a turnover on downs and gives us the ball. When cushing calls out plays, all the animals in the wilderness come to reliant to hear his voice. He is the most interesting brian cushing(ILB) alive.
Old 05-05-2012   #29
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Willis gets to plays that Cushing wishes he could get to. I like Cush quite a bit, so this ain't a cut down...just reality.
I think just as we are a bit biased, I'd say the ole 49er fan is a bit biased as well. I mean no doubt, Willis is no worse than #3 on the list and personally I'd give him the top spot, but by no means is it a landslide victory as you suggest. Cushing is definitely better in coverage and seems to be a more well rounded ILB. Willis is simply the best tackler in the NFL. He flat out doesn't miss and when he hits guys, he smashes them.

I do question just how good Bowman is. I mean for him to step in like he did when Willis went down just seems a bit suspicious. Perhaps the ILB numbers are a result of the scheme and as is suggested above, maybe the numbers are inflated. If he does it again next year, I'll be a believer but as of now, I'm skeptical.

1. Willis
2a. Cushing
2b. Lewis
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I understand the Willis v. Cushing debate. I can't believe anyone would rank the current Lewis over either of them.
Old 05-05-2012   #31
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2511 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I understand the Willis v. Cushing debate. I can't believe anyone would rank the current Lewis over either of them.
Totally agree.

In his prime Lewis yes, present Lewis no way.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #32
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I think just as we are a bit biased, I'd say the ole 49er fan is a bit biased as well. I mean no doubt, Willis is no worse than #3 on the list and personally I'd give him the top spot, but by no means is it a landslide victory as you suggest. Cushing is definitely better in coverage and seems to be a more well rounded ILB. Willis is simply the best tackler in the NFL. He flat out doesn't miss and when he hits guys, he smashes them.

I do question just how good Bowman is. I mean for him to step in like he did when Willis went down just seems a bit suspicious. Perhaps the ILB numbers are a result of the scheme and as is suggested above, maybe the numbers are inflated. If he does it again next year, I'll be a believer but as of now, I'm skeptical.

1. Willis
2a. Cushing
2b. Lewis
That is a good post. I'm going to get Old Miss Texan to give his take on this one. He probably watches Willis play more than just about anyone else on this board. I love Cushing, guy is a beast. He is an amazing football player but IMO Patrick Willis is head and shoulders above any other ILB as of right now. I don't even think it's close. Also, as of last season Lewis is nowhere close to Willis or Cushing. I agree with you about Bowman. There is a good possibility that his numbers were so good last year because he was playing next to Willis. It still bothers me that we picked Okoye over Willis over Revis. IMO they are 2 of the 4 best defensive players in the league.

Last edited by SW H-TOWN; 05-07-2012 at 02:14 AM.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #33
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I wouldn't rank him over either of them, but you are selling Ray Lewis short.

He still had 139 tackles last year with 2 sacks, 2 INTs, and 1 TD. This year in only 12 games, he had 95 tackles, 2 sacks, 7 pass deflections, and 1 INT.

On the other hand, Cushing had 114 tackles in 16 games, 4 sacks, 5 pass deflections, and 2 INTs. In 13 games, Willis only had 2 more tackles than Lewis with 97, 2 sacks (same as Lewis), 12 pass deflections (insane number!), and 1 INT.

So no, Lewis is not better than Cushing or Willis, but he is still one of the best MLBs in the game.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #34
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Hmm think it's too early to call him in the top 3, he's only had one really year at ILB, and last year he wasn't really stellar IMHO.

1. Willes

2-5: Fletcher, Urlacher, Lewis, Bowman, lofton

Cushing is coming along if he has another great year, I say he cracks the top 5.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read