Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-06-2012   #41
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's where I'm at with it. And this staff was pretty high on Keo when they drafted him. I don't think we saw much in him when he hit the field last season but he plays ST. He's going to have to have a very bad camp not to make the team this year.

And Demps actually gave us some good minutes last year and plays ST. So, again, he's going to have to get seriously outplayed not to make the team.
I think you're right on Demps. When Nolan & Manning went down, the Texans realized quick that Keo was not the answer, and cutting Demps was a mistake.

Keo? For all of his supposed special teams prowess, he came up with the same number of tackles as the punter (4). If the Texans keep 5 safeties, it will be a real competition for that last spot.
Old 05-06-2012   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Both demps and keo were cut at some point last year. Demps flashed a little but I think you are wrong. I think they are far from locked into roster spots.
IIRC, Keo was cut, PS'd, and then brought back to the roster. Demps was cut and then brought back to the roster and played well.

But I didn't say they were locks. I tried to say that the UDFAs are going to have to have amazing camps and preseasons to take these guy's jobs away. When you've got talented young guys (with a little seasoning) who've got experience in your system going up against talented younger guys who don't have experience in your system, the younger guys are at a disadvantage. They're going to have to show something and they're going to have to outperform the vets.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Fangupo plays as well as I think he can Wade/Gary will find a spot on the 53 for him. Provided Fangupo can stay healthy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #44
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thats quite a backlash to my last post in this thread

Pretty sure Demps is a good option to keep as 2nd string returner on ST's, and the coaching staff have talked him up post-season claiming that what mistakes he made were due to being on the street for a while. He seems like a guy who can sit on the bench for games on end and be right up to speed if you do end up putting him in the game.

Now if you are deciding who to have as your #4/5 safety, those are some pretty nice attributes to have as a backup, and you know that throughout a season you will likely have to rely on your #4/5 to perform adequately at some stage.

Keo, I just get the feeling the coaches think there's more to come from him, I think they wanted to keep him off the field last season but were forced to throw him in there through injuries (we play with 3 safeties often enough that your 5th will end up in there at some stage).

We also need to remember that the rookies really didn't get the opportunity to learn last off season that they normally do, JJdub and Reed may have outperformed that, but I didn't see too many others who were ready to play, maybe we just have 2 beasts at the top of the draft and the coaches believe in what they've got later on but just need to give them time? I don't see their actions so far (talking up the rookie DB's, whilst not drafting any) as a sign that they're about to give up on them.

I didn't claim that those 2 were locks to make the roster, but that they have a big head start on any UDFA. I'll stand by that.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read