Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-04-2012   #201
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Oh I forgot. Matt Schaub is "on track" and will be QB1.
Yeah, that's my problem as well.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #202
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Oh I forgot. Matt Schaub is "on track" and will be QB1.
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. Now who's gonna run the scout squad? The Texans are a 3 QB team.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #203
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Yeah anything can happen, I could win powerball but its not likely. Like I said I hope it turns out to be a lottery ticket but some people here are acting like this kid is a first round pick
And people act like Vince Young or Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith were worth a 1st round pick. Nobody knows how these players are going to play out. We don't even know if Andrew Luck will be a good pick. Case is in a position where he likely won't get much opportunity early on simply because he's tagged with being an undrafted 3rd stringer. That's his biggest hurdle at the moment.

I don't think anybody is acting like he's the next Tom Brady, but the the people who have never seen him play, or play very little, need to ease up on those who have seen him play every down he's ever played. Any scouting report that says he has a weak arm is from someone who shouldn't be in the scouting business. Period.

I hope it works out for Case, and I will be pulling for him, but as others have said, I don't want to see him on the field any time soon. Or TJ either for that matter. That's right, I hope to see that "weak armed" #8 for all 16 games (+) next season.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #204
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying. Now who's gonna run the scout squad? The Texans are a 3 QB team.
I'm having a hard time finding a good source on the Internet where we can see a list of UDFA QBs available.

There will be some free agent QBs who have been around for a few years, as well, but I haven't looked at that list (haven't searched it yet).

Granted, a lot of the older veteran QBs are not going to want to be QB3 and watch two youngsters at QB1 and QB2. But there should be a few camp arms out there who want a shot no matter if it's QB3 or QB7.
Old 05-04-2012   #205
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding a good source on the Internet where we can see a list of UDFA QBs available.

There will be some free agent QBs who have been around for a few years, as well, but I haven't looked at that list (haven't searched it yet).

Granted, a lot of the older veteran QBs are not going to want to be QB3 and watch two youngsters at QB1 and QB2. But there should be a few camp arms out there who want a shot no matter if it's QB3 or QB7.

See if this FA QB listing helps: http://http://www.kffl.com/static/nf...eagents/fa.php
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #206
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going on record now, I'm cool with TJ starting and Case backing him up.

Hopefully that reverse-curses Shaub's foot and he starts every game this season.

<---- BTW that's my boy wearing a Shaub jersey 4 years ago when people were clamering for Rosenfels. He's a strapping 8 year old now.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #207
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25135 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

I've Never seen him in a Single Game, and all I've read seemed to be extremely positive - so I went on Youtube looking for the negative. I especially enjoyed the Grudens QB Camp.

I am far from being an expert, but those are my Potential negatives:

- to me he has a strange looking release - no idea if that could be a problem
- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.
- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

Like I Said, I am no expert and haven't Seen nearly enough - so can someone who did elaborate on these points?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #208
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I've Never seen him in a Single Game, and all I've read seemed to be extremely positive - so I went on Youtube looking for the negative. I especially enjoyed the Grudens QB Camp.

- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

Like I Said, I am no expert and haven't Seen nearly enough - so can someone who did elaborate on these points?
The college quarterback can be tackled, sacked, rushed, touched, and brushed. He is a player. He is one of 11 guys who plays football just like all the other players. It has been said that the NFL has protected its perfumed princes of the pocket to such a degree that it has taken away from the quality of the game. I tend not so much to worry about this aspect of his game. He's always been a scrapper, and now for once he would actually have a real offensive line. His injury history in his long college career has been scant.......a single mild concussion in 2010, and a torn ACL (also in the beginning of 2010) he experienced trying to play linebacker by tacking UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers after an interception.
Old 05-06-2012   #209
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post

- he is going to get himself killed in the NFL. Definetly has to work on protecting himself.
- Takes some unnecessary risks that NFL. DBs will exploit. I know he rarely turned the Ball over in college, but several of his throws should've been intercepted.

How many quarterbacks can you not say that about? Yates? Schaub? P. Manning? Brady?........the determining statement is "rarely turns the ball over."
Old 05-06-2012   #210
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Thanks for the effort, Doc. The link will not open up a working Internet page for some reason.
Old 05-06-2012   #211
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the effort, Doc. The link will not open up a working Internet page for some reason.
It had an extra http://, try this one:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...eagents/fa.php

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #212
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by G27RR View Post
Thanks to you.........and my bad to GP
Old 06-03-2012   #213
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak has faith in Keenum's NFL potential

Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak says former Wylie High and University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum has a future in pro football because he is smart and a diligent worker.

One of the concerns was he had not taken snaps under center because the Cougars' offense ran out of the shotgun, (West Coast offense), but Keenum mastered that in other early training and it has not been a problem.

Another knock is his height 6-0, which is under what the pros like, but that hasn't bothered New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees, who is 6-0, and it wasn't a problem for Doug Flutie, who was even shorter.

Kubiak says once Case learns what he is doing, he will find a way to do it and he is well on his way to learning. The coach says he is excited to be working with Keenum, but they are going to take it a day at a time.

There are four quarterbacks on the roster and Keenum, the all-time leading passing leader in college in history, will be battling veteran John Beck for the third spot.
that is all it said and then jumped to another topic
http://www.reporternews.com/news/201...l/?partner=RSS
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #214
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Eat em up, Eat em up, GO TEXANS GO!!!!!
Old 06-04-2012   #215
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Hopefully that reverse-curses Shaub's foot and he starts every game this season.
That's the only chance he has for a new contract with the Texans so I hope you are right. As much as I think Schaub is not a top tier NFL QB, I do hope he makes strides and comes back and kicks some ass this year. Anything to have a wining team on the field.

If not I see it being Yates with Beck backing him up and Keenum #3 for now. That would be if Matt had a set-back with his injury, or the "ahead of schedule" talk is a smoke-screen.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #216
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak

(on QB Case Keenum) “I tell you the thing that was impressive: his best time in OTAs came at the end of practice today, so that tells me that he’s getting better. I put him in a hurry-up environment and he went out there and was automatic with what he did. He’s learning. He’s figuring out all the spots and when he does that, I think he’s going to be very effective. I’ve been pleased. I think everything has been moving forward so I’ve been really pleased. Today made me really excited to see him be at his best.”

(on what QB Case Keenum needs to do in minicamp to be even better) “I’m going to give him a ton of reps. I’m going to take some of the older guys and just work them with (head strength and conditioning coach) Cedric (Smith). I’m going to keep the young guys out here next week. He’ll work as the two next week, so that will be good for him and just keep getting as many as he can.”

(on whether QB T.J. Yates or John Beck will get to sit out next week) “T.J. (Yates) will (sit out). John (Beck) needs more reps with the third team and what we’re doing. I’ll work John and Case (Keenum).”

Yates will sit out next week along with most of the vets (the ones).
Keenum will work with the twos.
Beck will get more reps with the third team.

“What I do at the back end of the OTAs with our mini-camp is I like to kind of dedicate that to our younger players, now that they know what we’re doing. They’re up to speed offensively and defensively, and our scouts and everybody in the organization can get a better feel of evaluating who can come help us come fall time.”

The three-day mini-camp will be June 12-14.

The veterans will be with strength and conditioning Coach Cedric Smith while the younger group will be going through mini camp.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #217
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Keenum can make all of the throws, or at least it appeared that way Thursday during the Texans’ 10th OTA session. He connected with receivers on a wide range of passes from short to intermediate to deep, and even some on which he had to scramble out of the pocket and make a throw from an awkward position, something he did plenty of in college.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...b-case-keenum/
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #218
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Case Keenum. I'm hoping for the best for this guy.

Old 06-08-2012   #219
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I really like Case Keenum. I'm hoping for the best for this guy.

Same here. I hope he gets a decent shot here but only because Schaub has led us to a few Super Bowl wins and is calling it quits.

Seriously though, I'm hoping these are real reports and not just hometown reporting. I'm curious how Yates and Beck are doing too.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #220
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Same here. I hope he gets a decent shot here but only because Schaub has led us to a few Super Bowl wins and is calling it quits.

Seriously though, I'm hoping these are real reports and not just hometown reporting. I'm curious how Yates and Beck are doing too.
It's a given Yates makes the team. If Schaub makes it back, it'll be between Keenum and Beck for the 3rd slot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read