Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-28-2012   #81
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where i think we stand.

I find it hilarious (maybe too strong) that so many of the fans here want to rip the organization for trading Demeco and turn around and bash them for not trading Mario at the beginning of the season last year so we could get something for him. Yeah, we lose a little money this season with the Demeco trade, but imagine having to cut him next season because every team would know we had to get rid of him to sign Brown? Plus we get a chance to get more PT for his replacement.

As for not signing a bunch of free agents, I'd rather go with what we have on roster now. Add our players from the draft and maybe grab a couple of depth UDFAs or cheap vets. That way we could look at a few nice compensatory picks next season for losing Brisiel, Williams, Allen, and Dreessen. Maybe Vickers, too. I'd rather have extra picks then overpaying FAs right now.

There is a reason me and everyone else that comes here is doing what we are doing and not an NFL GM. Maybe it's blind homerism, but I trust the guys in charge to know more than anyone here. Even if they are awful I'll bet they know more.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #82
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Mark this down. Jacoby will be a June 1st cut.

This is shameless and I feel bad.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #83
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

its always 0 for everybody at the start of the season. No one would be where they are right now if Jones had not muffed the punt but instead ran it back for 7. Cannot wait for the season to start
Old 05-03-2012   #84
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Demeco was a good player for us for a long time, but after his injury and with the new 3-4 system he was virtually usless.
Is it me or is this incredibly ignorant? If you watched the first half of the season or so, then yes, this might be correct. At the same time, he was still recovering from a terrible injury, and arm/injury. I don't think the system had ANYTHING to do with it. If you watched the later half of the season, especially DeMeco, you saw he was doing good/great. Especially in the playoffs, and especially against the Ravens in round 2.

I know we had to get rid of him because of his salary cap, but that's not what I'm arguing about. Give DeMeco a full healthy season in the 3-4 and he woulda been good. Either way, I still think we shoulda gotten a third rounder or more off of him.
Old 05-03-2012   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Is it me or is this incredibly ignorant?.
Nope , its pretty accurate IMO.

Ryans wasnt "Ryans" last season (bad hand had something to do with that).

His fit for the 3-4 is debatable.

His cost to production was sky freaking high. He played on ~30% of the snaps and was a liability in coverage. Cushing is going to be on the field in nickle and dime packages meaning Ryans wasnt going to see increased playing time. Paying $9m for a part time player doesnt make any sense when they were cash strapped and have a lot of young guy's coming up for new deals next season.

At least they got "something" for Ryans ..... What did Philly get for Samuels?!

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #86
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

His cost to production was sky freaking high. He played on ~30% of the snaps and was a liability in coverage. Cushing is going to be on the field in nickle and dime packages meaning Ryans wasnt going to see increased playing time. Paying $9m for a part time player doesnt make any sense when they were cash strapped and have a lot of young guy's coming up for new deals next season.

At least they got "something" for Ryans ..... What did Philly get for Samuels?!
Have to add that he also didn't play any special teams which further decreased his value...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #87
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

His cost to production was sky freaking high. He played on ~30% of the snaps and was a liability in coverage.
Ryans did get considerably better as the season went on despite the severely limiting arm brace. He played more like 54% of snaps. His cost to production was definitely high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Have to add that he also didn't play any special teams which further decreased his value...
Wow, throw away comment. Since you see so many starting LB's out there on special teams.
Old 05-03-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Ry
Wow, throw away comment. Since you see so many starting LB's out there on special teams.

Ummm...In a 3-4 if you have an ILB that is considered a 2 down ILB it's not strange at all to see them playing some special teams...

Yes, technically he was considered a starter, but he didn't play the typical amount of snaps for most starting players hence my special teams comment which would have raised his value and maybe could have justified his salary.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #89
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
All I have learned from this off season is that Texan fans are unrealistic. They want 4 pro bowl linebackers. They want 3 all pros on the defensive line. They want 2 shut down corners and 2 ball hawking safeties that never miss a tackle. They want not only an elite running back but his back up to be a 1000 yard rusher too. They want a top 5 qb, and lots of fast wide receivers. They want all 5 positions on the offensive line to all stay together for max salary. About the only thing texan fans don't want is tight ends. And they want all of these players to fit under the salary cap for the next 6 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
And the front office is not allowed to miss on a draft pick. They must all be home runs and diamonds in the rough

Nothing wrong with that.

I think some of them also want cheaper beer.

Old 05-03-2012   #90
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

I think some of them also want cheaper beer.

I want free top shelf scotch .... you can have the cheap beer.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 05-03-2012   #91
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want free top shelf scotch .... you can have the cheap beer.
I am not one to question your priorities, but a poor dumb coonass like me can only afford Southern Comfort.

No worries about stadium beer, tickets are also out of my range.

Old 05-03-2012   #92
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Where i think we stand.

If we can keep players healthy...this team is built to be in the playoffs and a superbowl run for years to come.....
Sure we lost some players.....but you have to replace them. Look at teams like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England. They lose players....but replace them and get in the playoffs time and time again. I think this team is like those teams in that respect now.
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
If we can keep players healthy...this team is built to be in the playoffs and a superbowl run for years to come.....
Sure we lost some players.....but you have to replace them. Look at teams like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England. They lose players....but replace them and get in the playoffs time and time again. I think this team is like those teams in that respect now.
After a decade of absolute failure .... its about time this team figured it out. They've made some shrewd moves this offseason , I hope they pay off.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read