Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2012   #321
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 3rd Round DeVier Posey WR Ohio State

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Let me put it this way, this is a guy who was suspended for 10 games and still showed up for all the meetings and practiced just as if he was playing. He's a guy who did anything he could to help the team win and not be a distraction.

At least, that's what I've heard several people say.

And that's why this whole "rulebreaking" thing becomes a non-issue.
And finished off his degree at the same time.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #322
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Ok, enough already with the whole "is what he did really TRULY bad character or not" angle.

All I care about is this: Is a player's mindset in the right place? Is he a guy who just shows up and gets his work done...or does he brainfart and engage in shenanigans (no matter how trivial it might be to some people) that cause him to be scrutinized in negative ways?

The Arian Foster tweet-a-thon saga last Aug/Sept is an example of that. Is what the guy does GOOD overall or is it a distraction?

Missing 10 games of your senior season is NOT a good thing, overall, in terms of being able to judge his 2011 season against prior years of play. Plus, is it an indication that he gets distracted and drifts from the main objective of being a great football player? Will this guy miss meetings because he runs some side business on the side? Will his mind be on the underground Pokemon games he's organizing in vacant warehouses throughout the Houston area? It's something I want to know. Will this guy be 100% all about the game, or will he brain fart and love others things (like tattoos or selling vacation packages, etc.).

I think it's a fair question. Is this a guy who works angles all the time?
I see it this way. First time he sold his stuff to get help keep his mom's lights on and get a discount on tattoos as well. I don't see anything wrong with that regardless of whether or not it's against NCAA rules or not. If I need to sell a ring to help out my parents with their bills, that ring is gone, to hell with NCAA rules. College football is a couple of years of his life. Commitment to family runs deeper. 2nd suspension was not even his fault. They provided proper legal paperwork, NCAA simply ignored it.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #323
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me put it this way, this is a guy who was suspended for 10 games and still showed up for all the meetings and practiced just as if he was playing. He's a guy who did anything he could to help the team win and not be a distraction.

Exactly and what the Texans were saying also
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #324
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
He's human, so no he's not going to be 100% football all the time.

I don't see what's wrong with guys having other passions. As long as it doesn't distract them from performing when they are at work then I don't see what the problem is.

I haven't seen anything that suggests that he isn't commited to the game of football. As a matter fact I heard on the radio that some from the coaching staff were saying that passion was the theme for this draft. They wanted to get guys that were passionate about football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I see it this way. First time he sold his stuff to get help keep his mom's lights on and get a discount on tattoos as well. I don't see anything wrong with that regardless of whether or not it's against NCAA rules or not. If I need to sell a ring to help out my parents with their bills, that ring is gone, to hell with NCAA rules. College football is a couple of years of his life. Commitment to family runs deeper. 2nd suspension was not even his fault. They provided proper legal paperwork, NCAA simply ignored it.
I'm just saying that I am not a "ends justify the means" type of guy. If you tweak your decision making for x, then you will change your decision making when situation y rolls around. And then situation x, too.

I will admit that the Texans did their homework, and I don't know what the Texans know...so therefore, they must feel pretty confident that he's contrite and the problems he had were not indicative of future problems he'd have in the NFL with any team he'd be playing for.

I just have 3rd round WRs (under Kubiak's era) on such a short leash due to the majorly long, drawn-out saga of Jacoby Jones that just ended this week. I was pretty harsh about Matt Schaub's first two years, as well, due to the David Carr saga as well. I just want this WR stuff to get settled and for our offense to be truly elite and not just all about what our TE and Arian Foster can do for us.

2012 has to be better than 2011. The QB play has to be better, the WR play has to be more dynamic and high-octane, everything has to be better. I am guilty of thinking Posey is not a WR2 and maybe barely a WR3 as it stands today. My opinion/stance is softening a little, so I want people to know I'm not dead-set against him...just apprehensive in terms of crowning the guy yet.
Old 05-02-2012   #325
chenjy9
Veteran

Rep Power: 10910 chenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respectedchenjy9 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm just saying that I am not a "ends justify the means" type of guy. If you tweak your decision making for x, then you will change your decision making when situation y rolls around. And then situation x, too.

I will admit that the Texans did their homework, and I don't know what the Texans know...so therefore, they must feel pretty confident that he's contrite and the problems he had were not indicative of future problems he'd have in the NFL with any team he'd be playing for.

I just have 3rd round WRs (under Kubiak's era) on such a short leash due to the majorly long, drawn-out saga of Jacoby Jones that just ended this week. I was pretty harsh about Matt Schaub's first two years, as well, due to the David Carr saga as well. I just want this WR stuff to get settled and for our offense to be truly elite and not just all about what our TE and Arian Foster can do for us.

2012 has to be better than 2011. The QB play has to be better, the WR play has to be more dynamic and high-octane, everything has to be better. I am guilty of thinking Posey is not a WR2 and maybe barely a WR3 as it stands today. My opinion/stance is softening a little, so I want people to know I'm not dead-set against him...just apprehensive in terms of crowning the guy yet.
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I see the world as more shades of grey and therefore a more "flexible" set or moral guidelines I suspect. Either way, after the JJ fiasco I can definitely understand your wariness at this unanticipated pick. I promise you though, he is a smart and effective player. He may not be quite the physical specimen, but he definitely knows how to play his strengths a lot better. I can also promise you Posey knows how to run in a forward direction.
chenjy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #326
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With the exception of that first catch, the other plays I saw on that clip he'd get called for offensive pass interference every time. Too much hand fighting early in the play and at the end of the play just before the ball gets there, IMO.

But yeah...he really drives out of the snap and has crisp footwork from start to finish.
Kinda reminded me of the 'ol days. I liked it, but your right GP, laundry city in the NFL.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #327
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Kinda reminded me of the 'ol days. I liked it, but your right GP, laundry city in the NFL.
Yep: That was the old days, but the refs these days are all over that stuff.

And we know how awful the officiating crews are these days. There is only a handful of crews who will let that stuff go and let them play. Most of them, and I'm talking about Hochuli and Triplett's crews at the top of that heap, they are FLAG HAPPY bastids.
Old 05-03-2012   #328
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenjy9 View Post
I can definitely see where you are coming from. I see the world as more shades of grey and therefore a more "flexible" set or moral guidelines I suspect. Either way, after the JJ fiasco I can definitely understand your wariness at this unanticipated pick. I promise you though, he is a smart and effective player. He may not be quite the physical specimen, but he definitely knows how to play his strengths a lot better. I can also promise you Posey knows how to run in a forward direction.
LOL. I can get used to seeing a WR run forward. JJ was so erratic, he's the only guy who could run 80 yards and gain 3 yards out of it.

I still cannot believe Kubiak and Marciano kept him out there returning punts in the Ravens playoff game after he muffed the one punt that cost us. I still to this day do not understand how "coach's loyalty" should extend THAT far to his players. It was a really big WTH? strategy to me.
Old 05-03-2012   #329
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep: That was the old days, but the refs these days are all over that stuff.

And we know how awful the officiating crews are these days. There is only a handful of crews who will let that stuff go and let them play. Most of them, and I'm talking about Hochuli and Triplett's crews at the top of that heap, they are FLAG HAPPY bastids.
Don't remind me. The crews we had against Oakland and the divisional round against Baltimore made me wanna puke.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #330
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw this. Thought it was relevant...
Tressel on Posey.

Quote:
Tressel says he was impressed with how Posey handled being suspended for all but the final three games of his senior season. Posey’s body of work in the previous three years was impressive enough he could have left school last fall and began preparing his mind and body for April’s NFL Draft.

But Posey remained in school and finished up his degree in communications. The consummate leader also stayed out on the football practice field with his teammates, working with the offensive scout team unit against the No.1 OSU defense while serving his suspension.

That certainly said a lot to Smith and Kubiak when they made their decision to draft Posey. It also meant a great deal to Tressel who by then was forced to watch from afar.

“He was playing scout team quarterback getting killed,” he said. “That’s because he’s a quality kid. He’s not going to run away from his hardships nor is he going to run away from a challenge.”
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #331
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Saw this. Thought it was relevant...
Tressel on Posey.
That's huge. Thanks for posting it.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #332
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

After what I've read, seen, and heard I'm OK with the Posey pick.

But similarly I was OK with the Brandon Harris pick...

I hope they both work out and I hope Posey earns his way on the field more than Harris did his rookie year.
Old 05-04-2012   #333
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #334
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
But similarly I was OK with the Brandon Harris pick...

I hope they both work out and I hope Posey earns his way on the field more than Harris did his rookie year.
After watching our secondary get blasted in 2010 & bringing in a new DB Coach & new DC, then only signing one quality corner in the off-season, I thought it would make sense to draft a talented CB on the first day. I had been eye-ball'n Harris as our 2nd round pick, got mad when they didn't draft him, then did a flip when we traded back into the second to snag him.

Remember also, I'm one of the guys who said Kareem played about as well as we should expect a rookie to play with the supporting cast around him.

But for Kareem to step up and show the improvement in his game that he did, that was a surprise. Same with Allen, 5 year vets generally don't get better, but he did. Same with Jjo. We had big expectations for him, but he played better than anytime in his career. & While Bryce McCain wasn't a lockdown corner, he was pretty damn close.

Now if they played & looked like they did in 2010 & Harris couldn't get on the field the way Molden couldn't get on the field, or Bennett, or Reeves in 2009... then I'd have questions.

Same thing with Posey. If Aj plays all 19 games in 2012 & KDub tries to get his money back & Lestar Jean looks like the good DeSean Jackson.. how do you expect Posey to get on the field? Kubiak plays his starters, regardless the score or situation.
Old 05-06-2012   #335
GP 
Go Texans!

Rey:

I really don't think posting Posey photos of him running track is the way to instill confidence around here on him being Jacoby's replacement.

I gave you imaginary neg rep for that.
Old 05-06-2012   #336
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rey:

I really don't think posting Posey photos of him running track is the way to instill confidence around here on him being Jacoby's replacement.

I gave you imaginary neg rep for that.
Don't worry Rey, I just gave you imaginary positive rep to even it up
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #337
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL. I can get used to seeing a WR run forward. JJ was so erratic, he's the only guy who could run 80 yards and gain 3 yards out of it.

I still cannot believe Kubiak and Marciano kept him out there returning punts in the Ravens playoff game after he muffed the one punt that cost us. I still to this day do not understand how "coach's loyalty" should extend THAT far to his players. It was a really big WTH? strategy to me.
At first, my gut reaction was to question that too.

But then I realized, we as Texans fans don't have a WHOLE lot of experience of post-season TEXAN football. We've gotten used to a lot of turn-over, a lot of fluidity in the lineup. If a RB fumbles, it's not unusual for Gary to bench them for a quarter.

But, in the playoffs, I think you have to go with the person who you've gone with in the season. To see a player make a mistake in a game with that much weight and overreact is the kind of thing that causes more mistakes.

It riled me up to see Jacoby still out there returning punts after his huge mistake and after his track record of unreliability. But in the playoffs, I think you don't mess with what got you there.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #338
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby bobbled the very next punt return. It was hard to watch.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #339
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak pulled Foster in the Bengals game after he fumbled. Obviously that didn't last long...
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #340
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Don't worry Rey, I just gave you imaginary positive rep to even it up
is this anything like my imaginary girlfriend?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read