Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-02-2012   #41
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Report: Shooting at Junior Seau's Home

Committing suicide is THE MOST selfish, self-centered act a person can do! The only people you hurt are the one's that are living, esp family! I have very little sympathy for anyone who does such a thing, I don't care who they are or what excuses people make for them. Regardless of what problems or issues you have, mental or physical, your family does NOT deserve such punishment!!

As for his family, I will definitely say some prayers for them. They are the one's who will have to live everyday with the unanswered questions and the severe pain due to the loss of someone theylove so much. VERY sad day for his family!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #42
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

What a sad story. My thoughts go out to the Seau family.
Old 05-02-2012   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Eric Olsen, Saints offensive lineman...

Quote:
Eric Olsen ‏ @EOlsen69 Reply Retweet Favorite

Wow this is a tough one.. When I was a frosh in HS Junior Seau worked the Jay Fiedler Football camp and at the end of one of the days he...

Challenged any1 to a 1 on 1. Being one of the 'big' kids, I was volunteered by my buddies and went up in front of the whole camp to face...

This monster of a man. Shaking in my cleats, he gave me a wink before a coach gave the cadence. He let me pancake him. And he sold it too...

I can't even tell you how good I felt at that moment; it changed me forever. The whole camp cheered for me, a chubby kid that didn't know...

If he even liked football. From then on I was addicted. All thanks 2 this 10 time all-pro that felt like making some snot-nosed kid's day...

Doesn't seem like much but it meant a lot to me. Sorry for the essay just had to share. RIP Junior I'll never forget what you did for me.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

610 is saying that without a suicide note or a donor permission, no one can examine his brain without permission of his family. Therefore, it doesn't make sense that he shot himself in the chest specifically to leave his brain untouched for trauma evaluation.

Someone should tell these people that the above conclusion makes no sense. Most states require the State medical examiner to complete an autopsy report and many mandate that the autopsy be videotaped for an suspected suicide. Like Texas, California state law requires the coroner to investigate deaths of persons dying from criminal violence, by accident, by suicide, sudden unexpected deaths (without attending physician), any suspicious or unusual manner, or when the decedent is unidentified.

The condition of his brain will be known.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #45
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
610 is saying that without a suicide note or a donor permission, no one can examine his brain without permission of his family.
Yeah and Rich Lord said the Texans were going to owe $20+ mil for cutting Carr. The radio reporters don't know their own business. Why should they know this?
Old 05-02-2012   #46
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never been a big Seau fan and I can't put my finger on why. His intensity and talent are undeniable. I just never cared much about him one way or the other. I'm sorry he felt the need to do this and maybe it did have something to do with brain damage.

I'll give him props for doing the one thing that really matters to me about suicides. He went alone. If you absolutely must take your own life then alone is the only way to go. Can't stand people who take others with them out of fear or anger.
Old 05-02-2012   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know a lot about Junior Seau the person, or what he was going through in his life. I'm not really comfortable speculating on what led him to this tragic decision. What I can speak to is how great a football player Junior Seau was.

If I were able to select 3 linebackers from any era to put on my all time team, they would be Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, and Junior Seau. They each brought different elements of skill to the game. But, they all shared one trait: a burning intensity that transferred to the rest of their teammates.

I once saw Junior Seau practically beat the run & shoot Oilers single-handedly. He was able to pressure Warren Moon on one play, then drop back into coverage and make an interception the next. The Oilers had no answer for Seau, and he seemed to be inside the Oiler huddle.

Seau put the '94 Chargers on his back, and carried them to the Super Bowl. That team had no business there. There was no one special on offense. No one special on defense (other than Seau). And a very average head coach. But, they had Seau. And that was enough.

The term "great" is tossed around too often in sports. Waters the word down. Junior Seau was a great football player. He stood out every time he took the field. In my opinion, Seau was a Hall of Famer among the the Hall of Famers.
Old 05-02-2012   #48
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't know a lot about Junior Seau the person, or what he was going through in his life. I'm not really comfortable speculating on what led him to this tragic decision. What I can speak to is how great a football player Junior Seau was.

If I were able to select 3 linebackers from any era to put on my all time team, they would be Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, and Junior Seau. They each brought different elements of skill to the game. But, they all shared one trait: a burning intensity that transferred to the rest of their teammates.

I once saw Junior Seau practically beat the run & shoot Oilers single-handedly. He was able to pressure Warren Moon on one play, then drop back into coverage and make an interception the next. The Oilers had no answer for Seau, and he seemed to be inside the Oiler huddle.

Seau put the '94 Chargers on his back, and carried them to the Super Bowl. That team had no business there. There was no one special on offense. No one special on defense (other than Seau). And a very average head coach. But, they had Seau. And that was enough.

The term "great" is tossed around too often in sports. Waters the word down. Junior Seau was a great football player. He stood out every time he took the field. In my opinion, Seau was a Hall of Famer among the the Hall of Famers.
MSR

Has me muster up some very moving thoughts of a man who played as if it were his life.......because it was.
Old 05-02-2012   #49
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
MSR
Got him for you.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Benoit's case was laid at the feet of 'roids until it was revealed that concussions left him with a brain that was the equivalent of a 90 yearold with dementia. Once that came out, the story basically dropped from the news cycle because it lost the sexy roid rage appeal.

The heart problems can be linked to roids though.
+1.

That's awesome that you brought that up.... Yes, Benoit was an apparent roid user but the relevant part here is that he had sustained significant head trauma as well...

Agree with the heart and roid issue, tho'.
Old 05-02-2012   #51
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah and Rich Lord said the Texans were going to owe $20+ mil for cutting Carr. The radio reporters don't know their own business. Why should they know this?
I would customarily throw out the smilie (especially if DICK Lord is involved) except for the fact that this isn't funny... At all!!!
Old 05-02-2012   #52
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 226054 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
+1.

That's awesome that you brought that up.... Yes, Benoit was an apparent roid user but the relevant part here is that he had sustained significant head trauma as well...

Agree with the heart and roid issue, tho'.
Another popular steroid guy is Lyle Alzado who was virulently anti-steroids prior to his death. But from everything I've heard, he actually died from a brain tumor of a type not normally associated with steroid use, and possibly (according to rumor) associated with HIV (which he could have contracted by using dirty needles to shoot up his steroids.) But he was adamant that it was the steroids although he also was known to use a lot of human growth hormone.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #53
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
wow, thats crazy, the mom is on tv now, very very sad, she is asking god to take her, I can hardly watch.
That really really sucks. I went to a funeral today. My friend died due do complications from a surgery in Panama. They buried her in David but had a service for her in CR. I had to go up to her mom and tell her how sorry I was and the look in her eyes was just horrible. She was inconsolable, weeping...just awful. Now I hear this, poor lady. May God ease her pain.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #54
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn shame for the kids and family.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #55
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Default Re: Report: Junior Seau Found Dead

Quote:
An autopsy could shed more light on the death -- an examination which may be completed as early as Thursday, the county Medical Examiner's Office said.
link
Old 05-03-2012   #56
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

From the ESPN NFC blog.......Thoughts on Junior Seau
Quote:

Junior Seau never played in the NFC East, but if the story of his death Wednesday at the age of 43 didn't shake you up, you're made of stone. Police are investigating the possibility of suicide, and since he died of a gunshot wound to the chest, that possibility recalls former Bears safety Dave Duerson, who shot himself in the chest last year and left messages asking that his brain be studied for evidence that playing football damaged it. We don't know yet of any such message left by Seau. We don't know why he's dead, or if playing football had anything to do with it, and we may never know. A lot of conclusions are being jumped to, and the temptation to make those jumps is understanding, but the fact is that a man is dead, far too young, and the outrage can and should be put on hold while respect is paid.

A few things are clear, though. Seau's story -- the part that came before Wednesday -- indicates a man who struggled with his transition to post-NFL life. Whether that struggle had to do with damage done to him by playing the game remains to be seen and surely debated. But stories such as this one are a major part of the current culture surrounding today's NFL.

The idea that Seau's death might even possibly be fallout from a playing career that took too intense a toll is part of the expanding tapestry of concern that governs the league's actions on such matters as the Saints' bounty scandal. With more than 1,100 former NFL players currently suing the league for allegedly ignoring the long-term effects of head and other injuries suffered during their playing careers, the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell feel required to take a hard line on player safety. Rules will continue to be changed and modified to address the violence inherent in the game. Suspensions for actions the league believes could result in too-serious injury will continue to be harsh, even extreme, to give the league as strong a base as possible from which to claim it did not turn a blind eye if and when any of these suits ever find their way to a judge.

The NFLPA took some heat Wednesday, in the wake of the announcement of the Saints' suspensions, for not negotiating during the last CBA talks a change in the discipline policy that would have allowed players to appeal to someone other than Goodell. What wasn't mentioned during those discussions were the many concessions the players did win in last year's negotiations -- quality-of-life things like improved post-career health care, injury guarantees in contracts, reductions in the demands made on players during the offseason program and drastic cutbacks in the amount of contact permitted in offseason and training-camp practices. Those are the issues the players believed were most important, because those are the issues that affect them and their families long term, as people, once their short careers are over.

Part of the problem with the NFL is that fans tend to see these players as characters that appear on a weekly TV show, not as real human beings who are willingly subjecting themselves to physical punishment for our entertainment. But when something like Seau's death happens, everybody gets reminded of the reality that lurks behind the noise and the excitement and the bright colors of game day. And while fans may not like these reminders, sadly, they're not going away. They're a part of the game in 2012 and in the future, and they're here to change the way the people who watch and run football think about it. Or else.
Old 05-03-2012   #57
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Committing suicide is THE MOST selfish, self-centered act a person can do! The only people you hurt are the one's that are living, esp family! I have very little sympathy for anyone who does such a thing, I don't care who they are or what excuses people make for them. Regardless of what problems or issues you have, mental or physical, your family does NOT deserve such punishment!!
Pissed off at a dead person? Really?

Absolutely 100% positive that Junior doesnt care if you "have very little sympathy" for him right now.

Heart goes out to the family.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #58
rolyat93
Veteran

Rep Power: 2303 rolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respectedrolyat93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thought I would share this here, pretty cool story.

rolyat93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #59
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...ior-seau-brain

Quote:
Seau died of gunshot wound to the chest Wednesday, and his death is being investigated as a suicide. No conclusive medical connection has been made between head injuries and suicide, but Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy has asked to study Seau's brain, Sports Illustrated reported on Thursday.
Quote:
Gina Seau said her ex-husband did sustain concussions during his nearly 20-year NFL career.

"Of course he had. He always bounced back and kept on playing," she said in a phone interview. "He's a warrior. That didn't stop him. I don't know what football player hasn't. It's not ballet. It's part of the game."
Quote:
Taylor Twellman, a former soccer star in MLS, was a neighbor of Seau's in Oceanside, Calif. He said Thursday that he told Seau one time that he had suffered a concussion playing soccer and was experiencing bad headaches. Twellman said that Seau admitted that he also suffered from headaches from multiple concussions playing football.

Twellman, who has become an advocate for athletes with brain trauma, said he later tried to reach out to Seau to tell him he should seek help, but Seau never responded.
Old 05-03-2012   #60
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Pissed off at a dead person? Really?

Absolutely 100% positive that Junior doesnt care if you "have very little sympathy" for him right now.

Heart goes out to the family.
Get a grip!! WHERE did I say I was pissed off at a dead person??!!

Don't try to goad me into an argument, because I will not play childish games with a topic like this. It's much to tragic, and way to sad, esp for his family. My heart goes out to them, esp his Mother. There is NOTHING on the face of this earth more painful than losing your child!! I will keep her in my prayers for a very long time!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read