Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-02-2012   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If he is talking like Keenum already made the team, and saying he needs to bring in another QB ... what does that say about Matts progress? Would he need four QB's in camp? Interesting.
Four QBs in camp is not that unusual. Actually, I think that's pretty much the standard number.

Although I'm trying to think back to last year and I only remember 3.

And I believe we should go forward as though Matt's not going to make it back for the beginning of the season. In that case, we'd want a vet to come in to be the #2 behind TJ. Not a lot of vets are going to want to do that.

And if Matt's not going to make it for TC, I wouldn't be surprised for them to pick up another UDFA QB as a camp arm in addition to the vet.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
If he is talking like Keenum already made the team, and saying he needs to bring in another QB ... what does that say about Matts progress? Would he need four QB's in camp? Interesting.
I think it was also discussed that Matt wouldn't be participating in a lot of the activities. They wanted another qb so Yates and keenum's arms didn't burn out. Basically Yates and Keenum are the only healthy qb's on the roster right now. We need another arm for camp.

And I'm not sold on schaub being back. I won't make any claims either way because I simply don't know.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #43
TheGoldenGreek
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respectedTheGoldenGreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to know why so many people are certain Schaub won't start the year. From what I've read, he is expected to be back for training camp. If he is unable to return, I have no problem with Yates filling in until Schaub is ready.
Old 05-02-2012   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenGreek View Post
I just want to know why so many people are certain Schaub won't start the year. From what I've read, he is expected to be back for training camp. If he is unable to return, I have no problem with Yates filling in until Schaub is ready.
I'm concerned about his return because of his age, the location of his injury, the Texans history of injury reporting, but primarily because of information CnD posted just after he sustained the injury that indicated that it could be a year before he was fully recovered.

He's not a kid anymore. I think that's going to influence the speed of his recovery.

His injury was to his plant foot. That's going to mean he needs to be more fully recovered to really throw right. If it hadn't been his plant foot that was injured, he could come back at a lower percentage of recovery and perform. But since this foot is integral to his throwing motion, he needs to be well healed. (pardon the pun)

The Texans are notorious for saying a player is going to come back at a certain time and then that player not making it back at that time. So I disregard anything the Texans say about a guy being on schedule and being expected to be back at a particular point. I'll believe it when I see it.

Finally, CnD posted information indicating that it can take up to a year to be fully recovered from this injury. Granted, the same report said you could be fully recovered for normal, non-stressful work in about 8 months (iirc) but that's for non-stressful work for a normal human being, not a professional athlete who's putting stress on the foot and relying on it.

That's why I expect Matt to get PUPd and to be back mid-season, ready to play.
Old 05-02-2012   #45
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36558 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's not a kid anymore. I think that's going to influence the speed of his recovery.
He is 30. Not quite into the Jamie Moyer age bracket yet.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
He is 30. Not quite into the Jamie Moyer age bracket yet.
Yep. He's 30. He's not in his early 20's anymore. He's at the age where it begins to get harder to recover from injury.
Old 05-02-2012   #47
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. He's 30. He's not in his early 20's anymore. He's at the age where it begins to get harder to recover from injury.
Yeah...

That's a good point...

I'm just anxious to see how he's progressing...
Old 05-02-2012   #48
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Having Shaub back is crucial as well as the key to us being dangerous in the NFL. This Team is built for shaub and we will have him back. I just hope the Texans play the I am better better than they have in the past. I am confident enough in TJ to go to Baltimore and had it not been for JJ we would have won that game. You Worry warts are making me laugh, from the looks of this front 7 on Defense I doubt the offence gets much time on the feild. I can hear it now"Miami going back to pass, oooooooooo its Watt for seven.
Old 05-02-2012   #49
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a good question. From WalterFootball, the FA QBs available are:

1) Dennis Dixon
2) Billy Volek
3) Donovan McNabb
4) Vince Young
5) Matt Leinart
6) A.J. Feeley
7) J.P. Losman
8) Kyle Boller
9) John Beck
10) Luke McCown
11) Jake Delhomme
12) Max Hall

None of those guys gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Maybe Dennis Dixon -- he didn't look too bad from what I can remember. Delhomme would be my first choice because he's got some experience with the system now, Dixon my second because he's got the most potential, and finally Leinart my third although he didn't look great against the Jags. Everyone else there is just a toss-up.
In my mind, Schaub is the starter, Yates is the backup, and Keenum is the #3. Until I see something that indicates Schaub cannot go, I will simply operate under the assumption that he can.

Now, if Schaub cannot go, then Yates becomes the starter and the Texans need a backup. I would select Billy Volek. He would be an excellent choice as a backup to Yates. He is 36 so he is a bit older but he is a crafty veteran. He could teach Yates some vet tricks. Since Volek is at the end of his career, he would understand his role is to be a backup and not someone competing to be a starter. He has played reasonably well when given the chance and could step in and right the ship.

Dixon is only 27 so he may be looking for a situation where he could compete for a starter's job rather than become the backup.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #50
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

If Grossman gets cut would you guys like him here in Houston again as a back up?

Never mind he just resign on saturday.
3/17/2012: Signed a one-year, $1.3 million contract
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #51
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

My response to the OP's query is "No." We need a vet backup.

1. Schaub
2. Vet backup (preferrably Delhomme)
3. Yates (when Yates consistently shows he can read the whole field - and not just look for AJ - and go thru his progressions, THEN he gets to move up to #2. Not a moment sooner.)
4. Keenum (P/S)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #52
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
My response to the OP's query is "No." We need a vet backup.

1. Schaub
2. Vet backup (preferrably Delhomme)
3. Yates (when Yates consistently shows he can read the whole field - and not just look for AJ - and go thru his progressions, THEN he gets to move up to #2. Not a moment sooner.)
4. Keenum (P/S)
If Keenum goes on the practice squad, someone will sign him away. Keenum will be the 3rd QB no matter what. It's one of the two below:

Schaub, Yates, Keenum
OR Yates, ????, Keenum if Schaub doesn't return.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #53
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 17549 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Is this some kind of super-wildcat?
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #54
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If Keenum goes on the practice squad, someone will sign him away. Keenum will be the 3rd QB no matter what. It's one of the two below:

Schaub, Yates, Keenum
OR Yates, ????, Keenum if Schaub doesn't return.
That's what i think too.

I just think the schaub injury is going to put us in a tough situation.
Old 05-02-2012   #55
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Can we start next season with Schaub, Yates and Keenum at QB?

Is this some kind of super-wildcat?

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #56
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That's what i think too.

I just think the schaub injury is going to put us in a tough situation.
With Schaub, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. That's about the only way I can put it. We NEED Schaub back in full form this season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #57
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

this was April 28th
Quote:
Kubiak
(on if he thinks he’ll look at a veteran for the third quarterback or possibly an undrafted free agent) “First off, we’re not through today. Obviously, we’ve got the rookie free agents to deal with here after the draft, so that’s something that Rick (Smith) and I have talked about. Obviously, there’s a place for another one, another quarterback and possibly two as we head towards training camp. We’ll have to figure all of that out. There are still some quality players out there from last season and we’ll have to see how the draft pans out over the course of the last round and we’ll go from there.”
also a little over half way down on the page
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...a-3c65f51fc196
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #58
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
With Schaub, I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. That's about the only way I can put it. We NEED Schaub back in full form this season.

I know he put together a couple of 16 game seasons but with Matt I just sort of expect that he'll miss time. His incomplete seasons outnumber his complete ones (by one year, ignoring his Atlanta time obviously) so I'd say he's as likely to miss 5-6 games next year as any starter in the league.

I just hope Yates is ready to play when the time comes.
Old 05-02-2012   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If Keenum shows Kubiak that he can adjust to the speed of the NFL, you may see him climbing the ladder sooner than you think.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #60
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry, but I think the Texans did themselves a great disservice by not drafting a QB because there is a HUGE chance that Schaub may not ever return from his Lisfranc injury...

Don't get me wrong, I like Yates and I love the fact that the Texans signed Keenum, but neither one are ready to take this team where we need to go in the event that Schaub can't go.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read