Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #21
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trying to get an early idea of 53 Wow Tuff

QB SCHAUB - YATES - FA VET
RB FOSTER - TATE - Meggett
FB FORD
WR A.JOHNSON WALTER POSEY D.JONES MARTIN JEAN
TE DANIELS GRAHAM CASEY&BU FB
OL
C MYERS - JONES
T BROWN - BUTLER
G W.SMITH - S.Smith
T NEWTON -
G BROOKS - Caldwell
LS WEEKS
DL WATT - CRICK
NT CODY - Fangupo - MITCHELL
DE A.SMITH - Jamison
LB
LB REED - Mercilus
LB CUSHING - Dobbins
LB BARWIN - B.James - Braman
LB Sharpton - Alexander
DB
CB Jackson - Carmichael
CB Joseph - McCain
S Manning - Nolan -
S Quin - DempS
K BULLUCK
P Jones
PRACTICE SQUAD
WR JEAN
QB KEENUM
S Pleasant
RB Grimes
LB Loiseau
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #22
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quarterbacks
Matt Schaub
TJ Yates
Case Keenum

Running Backs
Arian Foster
Ben Tate
Davin Meggett

Fullback
Jason Ford

Wide Receivers
Andre Johnson
Kevin Walter
DeVier Posey
Keshawn Martin
Dwight Jones

Tight Ends
Owen Daniels
James Casey
Garrett Graham

Offensive Line
Duane Brown
Wade Smith
Chris Myers
Brandon Brooks
Rashad Butler
Derek Newton
Shelley Smith
Ben Jones
Antoine Caldwell

Linebackers
Brian Cushing
Darryl Sharpton
Bradie James
Tim Dobbins
Connor Barwin
Brooks Reed
Whitney Mercilus
Bryan Braman
Shawn Loiseau

Defensive Line
JJ Watt
Antonio Smith
Tim Jamison
Jared Crick
Shaun Cody
Earl Mitchell
Hebron Fangupo

Defensive Backs
Glover Quin
Danieal Manning
Troy Nolan
Quintin Demps
Jonathan Joseph
Kareem Jackson
Brice McCain
Brandon Harris
Sherrick McManis
Roc Carmichael

Special Team
Randy Bullock
Donnie Jones, Brett Hartmann if he's ready after his suspensions
Jon Weeks
Old 04-30-2012   #23
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It all depends on the particular severity of the injury. I've also had a LisFranc fracture/dislocation. Had it back in July 2009. I've got 2 plates and 12 screws still in the foot, and it took a full 2 years for me to quit walking with a limp. Every lisfranc injury is different. Now, I'm not saying that Schaub's lisfranc injury was as severe as mine, but I have a very good idea the length of time it takes to recover from one of those things.

And again, to reinterate a point that I've been trying to get across, it seems like forever, is that I'm not worried about "lack of mobility". I'm concerned, and will continue to be concerned, with Schaub's ability to accurately throw the ball. And in order to do that, he will have to "retrain" his "new" or "repaired" plant foot.

Yes, I know that he and Kubiak and everyone else is saying that he will be ready to go when the season starts. But if you've been keeping anywhere up to speed with the way this organization handles injuries..... Let's just say I'm taking their statements with a grain of salt.

I will say something else. They didn't do as I predicted and draft a QB, which I thought they would do if they had any concerns about it. But if Schaub isn't ready to go, that is one thing I will harp on.
Another reason why I feel very confident that he is fine. I really don't think we have much to worry about with Matt.

On a side note you must have really done a number on that foot. Are you doing ok now? I tore mine up pretty good; luckily it feels ok and just looks ugly.
texasam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I love doing this:

QB: Schaub - Yates - Keenum (If Schaub is on the PUP, then we'll have a FA Vet as the #2 behind yates)
RB: Foster - Tate - Grimes
FB: Casey - Ford
WR: Andre - Posey - Martin - KW - Jean - DJones
TE: OD - Graham - Brock
OT: Brown - Butler - Newton
OG: WSmith - Brooks - Caldwell - SSmith
OC: Myers - Jones

DE: Watt - Smith - Crick - Jamison
NT: Cody - Mitchell
OLB: Barwin - Mercilus - Reed - Braman
ILB: Cushing - Sharpton - James - Dobbins
CB: JJo - KJ - Harris - Carmichael - McCain - McManis
S: Manning - Quin - Demps - Nolan

LS: Weeks
K: Bullock
P: Jones
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
If Schaub isn't ready in time for week 1 I think they would sign a veteran QB to to be the backup, but I am just basing this off the roster we have right now.

I think it will be between Lestar Jean and Dwight Jones for the 5th wide receiver spot. If Jones can keep his attitude and work ethic in check though he has all the physical skills to be a solid back-up option.

I think Brandon Brooks can win the job in training camp, but I think he would also rotate with Caldwell if Kubiak doesn't feel strongly enough about him. He will be a solid contributor and might be the sole holder of that spot by the end of the season.
^^^^
This

I've got Fangupo making it, Mitchell playing NT and alot of DE. Bulmam gets cut. Ford also makes it as a UDFA at FB. The 3rd RB is not currently on the roster.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
^^^^
This

I've got Fangupo making it, Mitchell playing NT and alot of DE. Bulmam gets cut. Ford also makes it as a UDFA at FB. The 3rd RB is not currently on the roster.
I really debated on Fangupo but eventually dropped him. Bulman, definitely gone.

I had Ford as the FB.

And I stuck Grimes in as the 3rd RB but I'm not very confident of that. I wouldn't be surprised to bring Ward back.
Old 04-30-2012   #27
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I really debated on Fangupo but eventually dropped him. Bulman, definitely gone.

I had Ford as the FB.

And I stuck Grimes in as the 3rd RB but I'm not very confident of that. I wouldn't be surprised to bring Ward back.
I don't think we have enough salary cap for Ward. But if we don't bring him back anyway, I think Davin will win it over Grimes.

And I thought Bulman was a FA anyway? Don't think he'll beat Crick/Jamison/Fangupo anyways.
Old 05-01-2012   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
I don't think we have enough salary cap for Ward. But if we don't bring him back anyway, I think Davin will win it over Grimes.

And I thought Bulman was a FA anyway? Don't think he'll beat Crick/Jamison/Fangupo anyways.
Bulman is a FA but he hasn't re-signed with anyone, yet. I expect he'll be back for training camp. Heck, they've got to boost the roster to 90 players. That's a lot of bodies.
Old 05-01-2012   #29
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Quote:
Bulman is a FA but he hasn't re-signed with anyone, yet. I expect he'll be back for training camp. Heck, they've got to boost the roster to 90 players. That's a lot of bodies.
they don't have to have 90 players, that's if they want to and if they can($$$). I don't expect us to resign him, unless one of our DE gets hurt.
Old 05-01-2012   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
they don't have to have 90 players, that's if they want to and if they can($$$). I don't expect us to resign him, unless one of our DE gets hurt.
You have to have enough bodies to get through training camp. When the limit was 80, we'd normally be around 75-79. With the limit going up to 90, you can bet we'll be between 85-89.

Right this moment, we've got <60 guys on our roster and some of those guys are futures contracts. All of our old stand-bys will probably get re-signed: Bulman, Studdard, Barber, Anderson.

EDIT: That <60 was prior to signing the UDFAs.
Old 05-01-2012   #31
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love doing this:

QB: Schaub - Yates - Keenum (If Schaub is on the PUP, then we'll have a FA Vet as the #2 behind yates)
RB: Foster - Tate - Grimes
FB: Casey - Ford
WR: Andre - Posey - Martin - KW - Jean - DJones
TE: OD - Graham - Brock
OT: Brown - Butler - Newton
OG: WSmith - Brooks - Caldwell - SSmith
OC: Myers - Jones

DE: Watt - Smith - Crick - Jamison
NT: Cody - Mitchell
OLB: Barwin - Mercilus - Reed - Braman
ILB: Cushing - Sharpton - James - Dobbins
CB: JJo - KJ - Harris - Carmichael - McCain - McManis
S: Manning - Quin - Demps - Nolan

LS: Weeks
K: Bullock
P: Jones

I like your list and agree with most everything with the exception of Sharpton at ILB. The fact that the Texans signed 2 ILB FA's tells me that Sharpton's injury is more serious that we think and he may start the list on PUP.

Reading a list like this really makes you aware of just how precious a roster spot really is and makes me think what a waste of a spot LS-Weeks is. I know he's one of the best long snappers in the NFL but you can't tell me that someone else already on the roster couldn't learn the skill to save us a roster spot. I also wish the NFL would expand the roster sizes by about 3-4 players, it would be nice to carry some more depth at certain positions. I'd sure like to see Fangupo-NT added to the roster and get some playing time.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #32
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

I think Sharpton will be fine. We had 4 ILBs last year as well. Cushing, Ryans, Sharpton, and Dobbins.
Old 05-01-2012   #33
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

isnt it 53 +1?? as in your 3rd qb doesnt eat up a roster spot...
Old 05-01-2012   #34
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
I thought that as well though that's not the way TNP explained it, but it sure seems like I read that last season.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am pretty sure it's 52 players OR you can go up to 53 only if that 53rd player is a 3rd QB for emergency QB purposes.

Then you have new rules about how your QBs can operate on game day. For example, you cannot add a 3rd QB and then swap all three guys in and out of the game all day on a Sunday. The NFL in 2011 added a rule that says IF your 3rd QB comes into the games and plays x-amount of minutes or portions of quarters (I cannot remember the exact definition) then your QB1 cannot come back into the game.

I cannot remember the full letter of the law, but I assure you that you can carry a 53rd player but he has to be an emergency QB AND if/when he comes into the game it's because your other QBs genuinely cannot continue anymore and not because you want to switch all three of them out throughout the course of the game.

Someone help me if I am wrong, but I remember this being a part of the discussion on here last summer.
Old 05-01-2012   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No.

You have 53 men on your team. Period.

Prior to last year, you had a +1 for your game day squad of 45 players if you used that spot for your emergency QB. There were all sorts of rules in place for that guy coming in and how the starter couldn't come back in once that guy came in, etc. Last year, they changed the rule on that. Now, you've got a game day squad size of 46. The whole Emergency Quarterback thing has been removed. So it's gotten simpler.

That's my understanding although I haven't been able to find verification of that online. The closest thing I found was an eHow article that had the old rules.
Old 05-04-2012   #37
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to give the 53 man roster a shot. Also, does anyone know if Hartmann (Punter) will count against the 53 man roster during his 4 game suspension? And, if they put him on IR or the PUP list, how does that affect the 4 game suspension? Is it included in the time or does he still have to serve the suspension when he comes off the PUP or IR? My guess is he will still have to serve the suspension.

Now on to the roster!

The Offense (25 players)

Quarterbacks (3)
Schaub, Yates, Keenum

Runningbacks (3)
Foster, Tate, (choice between Jarvarris Williams, Meggett, Grimes, or ?)

Wide Receiver (5)
A.J., Walter, Posey, Jean, Martin

Tight End (3)
Daniels, Graham, (choice between Logan Brock, Philip Supernaw, or ?)

Fullbacks (2)
Casey, (choice between Ford or ?)

Offensive Tackles (3)
Brown, Butler, Newton

Offensive Guards (4)
W. Smith, Caldwell, S. Smith, Brooks

Centers (2)
Myers, B. Jones

The Defense (25 players)

Defensive Ends (4)
A. Smith, Watt, Jamison, Crick

Defensive Tackles (2)
Cody, Mitchell

Outside Linebackers (5)
Barwin, Reed, Mercilus, Braman, Nading

Inside Linebackers (4)
Cushing, Sharpton, Brooks, Dobbins

Cornerbacks (5)
Joseph, Jackson, McCain, Harris, McManis

Safeties (5)
Manning, G.Q., Nolan, Demps, Keo

Special Teams (3)

Kicker (1)
Bullock

Punter (1)
Jones (Note: Situation with Hartmann's suspension and physical health will be a factor in whether he returns this year or not.)

Long Snapper (1)
Weeks

Practice Squad (8 players)
Mondek (OT), Loiseau (ILB), Supernaw (TE), Pleasant (SS), Meggett or Grimes (RB), D. Jones or Maehl (WR), Fangupo (DT), M. Alexander (ILB)
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Punter (1)
Jones (Note: Situation with Hartmann's suspension and physical health will be a factor in whether he returns this year or not.)
This is probably one of the biggest questionmarks for the final 53. Hartman being suspended for the first 4 games ? Does he still occupy a roster spot ? If he's "injured" along with suspended , can they put him on the PUP ?

He performed pretty damn well last season .... I'd like to see him return in 2012. Just dont know how the team juggles the roster spot and suspension to accomodate him coming back.

Dont know much about Jones .... someone fill me in here.

(you know your team is solid when your more worried about the P spot than .... most others).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #39
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
This is probably one of the biggest questionmarks for the final 53. Hartman being suspended for the first 4 games ? Does he still occupy a roster spot ? If he's "injured" along with suspended , can they put him on the PUP ?

He performed pretty damn well last season .... I'd like to see him return in 2012. Just dont know how the team juggles the roster spot and suspension to accomodate him coming back.

Dont know much about Jones .... someone fill me in here.

(you know your team is solid when your more worried about the P spot than .... most others).
Donnie Jones was a FA the Texans picked up a few weeks ago. I think he punted for the Rams last season. He's 6'2" 220 lbs and he's an 8 year vet out of LSU. Don't know much more about him. Think he's just a stop gap until Hartmann returns, if he returns.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #40
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to give the 53 man roster a shot. Also, does anyone know if Hartmann (Punter) will count against the 53 man roster during his 4 game suspension? And, if they put him on IR or the PUP list, how does that affect the 4 game suspension? Is it included in the time or does he still have to serve the suspension when he comes off the PUP or IR? My guess is he will still have to serve the suspension.

Now on to the roster!

Inside Linebackers (4)
Cushing, Sharpton, Brooks, Dobbins
Is this Brooks Reed? Now he's an ILB? :scratchinghead:

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read