Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #21
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Trade Out of Second Round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Bryan Anger.......... P Jaguars
That's the guy they were targeting in the 4th for sure. Coach Joe was really bummed that he didn't fall to us.
Old 04-30-2012   #22
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Is that what I said? No. I said I would have taken Fleener (a starting WR2) AND Vinny Curry over Mercilus and I'd do it today. Not dissing Whitney & glad he is on team, however 2 starters at need position over one rotational OLB that may not beat out Reed year one.
You make it sound like we traded those two picks to move up and get Mercilus. Instead of getting fleener and Curry we got Mercilus, Posey and Crick.

Also, not sure how you got two players we did'nt even draft as sure starters. Then you have 3 guys we drafted as having no chance at starting.
Old 04-30-2012   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Excellent move!

Right now, I'm not sure whether Randle or Posey will end up having a better career; I want to say Posey.
Bingo!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #24
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The trade OUT of the 2nd round is the one that will draw the most attention but in BL's 2nd post he brings up a much deeper topic, Rick Smith's draft board management. Throughout the draft I think he made good calls. When it seemed every pick in the 1st was traded for it was really tense KNOWING someone was going to fall but would it be a player they could use? Stood tall and let Mercilus drift right to him. Cordy Glenn was still available but they picked up a similar prospect in the 3rd, instead opting to take the top pass rusher available, a guy I think most people expected him to go about 5 or 6 picks earlier. Well done. Then in the 4th, cleans house. An experienced, gritty OC who was raised on SEC defenses. A guy with electric speed and agility with potential as a 3rd WR. How about a flyer on a guy who likely goes 2 rounds higher if not for the injury risk. All 3 of those guys have huge upside AND put pressure on guys who are making bank. Again, well done. Then taking their top K available before Ks start falling off the board. Well done, yet a 3rd time. You know they couldn't get away from a draft without picking a player from one of their former colleges! Purdue IS where Rick Smith attended, right? The Mondek pick, kind of a head scratcher to me but I won't complain about Kubiak rebuilding his OL.

In UDFA they brought in a LOT of athletic guys. See if the staff can teach some of them how to ball, I bet at least a guy or two will make it. Loiseau seems like one, if he can raise hell on teams and learn some ILB he's got a shot. Dwight Jones, I personally don't believe he's got the brains to pull it off but he's got the body to be dominant. Ford also seems like he's got a shot to impact FB. Since they've actually gone a whole draft now without a TE James Casey really has his chance to be the guy across from OD. This could all gel nicely.

They have paid a price for the shine Wade, Joseph and Manning provided. Yet, they seemed to have survived the storm in shape to make more noise later this year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The trade OUT of the 2nd round is the one that will draw the most attention but in BL's 2nd post he brings up a much deeper topic, Rick Smith's draft board management. Throughout the draft I think he made good calls. When it seemed every pick in the 1st was traded for it was really tense KNOWING someone was going to fall but would it be a player they could use? Stood tall and let Mercilus drift right to him. Cordy Glenn was still available but they picked up a similar prospect in the 3rd, instead opting to take the top pass rusher available, a guy I think most people expected him to go about 5 or 6 picks earlier. Well done. Then in the 4th, cleans house. An experienced, gritty OC who was raised on SEC defenses. A guy with electric speed and agility with potential as a 3rd WR. How about a flyer on a guy who likely goes 2 rounds higher if not for the injury risk. All 3 of those guys have huge upside AND put pressure on guys who are making bank. Again, well done. Then taking their top K available before Ks start falling off the board. Well done, yet a 3rd time. You know they couldn't get away from a draft without picking a player from one of their former colleges! Purdue IS where Rick Smith attended, right? The Mondek pick, kind of a head scratcher to me but I won't complain about Kubiak rebuilding his OL.

In UDFA they brought in a LOT of athletic guys. See if the staff can teach some of them how to ball, I bet at least a guy or two will make it. Loiseau seems like one, if he can raise hell on teams and learn some ILB he's got a shot. Dwight Jones, I personally don't believe he's got the brains to pull it off but he's got the body to be dominant. Ford also seems like he's got a shot to impact FB. Since they've actually gone a whole draft now without a TE James Casey really has his chance to be the guy across from OD. This could all gel nicely.

They have paid a price for the shine Wade, Joseph and Manning provided. Yet, they seemed to have survived the storm in shape to make more noise later this year.
This is a great post (must spread rep).

Of major importance did the Texans improve their roster while losing Mario, DeMeco, Winston & Rackers? At minimum Rick & Co. addressed each position how well they work & fit time will tell, but I like it.

I think trading down is a sign of strength & technique used by teams who are competitive while facing salary cap restrictions.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
This is a great post (must spread rep).

Of major importance did the Texans improve their roster while losing Mario, DeMeco, Winston & Rackers? At minimum Rick & Co. addressed each position how well they work & fit time will tell, but I like it.

I think trading down is a sign of strength & technique used by teams who are competitive while facing salary cap restrictions.
Got him,

I've not been a fan of Rick, but he's done a solid job 2 yrs in a row. Having 2 experienced coaches Wade/Gary giving him lists has helped Rick make better decisions under pressure during the draft. Trades/picks etc....

I dont care for the Posey pick, I like Martin more.

Brooks is going to make this trade look fantastic. If Crick can stay healthy he will be a steal. Crick is a better version of Derrick Wolfe.

Hopefully the Bullock pick works out. I'm not all that jazzed about the pick. Why take a K from A&M when your Aggie HC cant bring himself to watch the FG's. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #27
texasam82
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasam82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Got him,

I've not been a fan of Rick, but he's done a solid job 2 yrs in a row. Having 2 experienced coaches Wade/Gary giving him lists has helped Rick make better decisions under pressure during the draft. Trades/picks etc....

I dont care for the Posey pick, I like Martin more.

Brooks is going to make this trade look fantastic. If Crick can stay healthy he will be a steal. Crick is a better version of Derrick Wolfe.

Hopefully the Bullock pick works out. I'm not all that jazzed about the pick. Why take a K from A&M when your Aggie HC cant bring himself to watch the FG's. LOL

Funny you mentioned poise under pressure. How do you guys think the draft being divided into 3 days has effected this area of concern? Certainly gives a GM more time to re-evaluate his board.
texasam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
You make it sound like we traded those two picks to move up and get Mercilus. Instead of getting fleener and Curry we got Mercilus, Posey and Crick.

Also, not sure how you got two players we did'nt even draft as sure starters. Then you have 3 guys we drafted as having no chance at starting.
I have no idea where you get that I said we traded two picks for Mercilus? We picked him# 26 and could have had Fleener who in my view becomes starting WR2 over JJ and Walter. He could also play TE2 in those sets. In second round we could have drafted Vinny Curry who imo is a more powerful OLB with speed where as WM is strictly a speed rusher. Both would be very successful in this system. Again, I'm good with Mercilus, but Fleener& Curry better than Merci. I am not a Posey fan so I don't count him as an asset in this draft scenario.

1. Fleener WR/TE 2. Curry OLB 3. Brandon Brooks 4a. Keshawn Martin WR and 4b. Jared Crick 5. Bullock and 6 OT/OG Mondek

In my draft, we miss out on a questionable Posey but hit on starter Fleener & still have a very good rotation OLB that could beat out Reed 2013. We also miss out on a pretty good center in Ben Jones who might be able to play OG but we have two others in Brooks and Mondek. Myers never misses a game. Just my way of looking at things.
Old 04-30-2012   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasam82 View Post
Funny you mentioned poise under pressure. How do you guys think the draft being divided into 3 days has effected this area of concern? Certainly gives a GM more time to re-evaluate his board.
A huge difference, especially on day 2. It gives Rick/Gary/Wade a chance to sit down after seeing how the draft fell and develop a strategy whether to stay put,move up/down. You dont have to think on your feet as much. Which plays to Rick/Garys strength. Over analytical under pressure, the new format removes that pressure.

I dont think it's a coincedence that Rick/Gary have made trades in rd 2 every yr since the draft moved to a 3 day format.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
[color="Blue"]
I have to think Osemele & Randle were possibilities -- Randle I'd bet my lunch would've been the pick if he dropped. (And if Randle fell to us, all the media talking heads would be gushing over our draft, fwiw.)
Hmmm, perhaps not:

The Sideline View ‏ @SidelineFB Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Spoke w/ teams post-draft and found out Konz slipped due to heart issue, J. Brown for positive test and Rueben Randle due to laziness & knee
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #31
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

I can get on board with this line of thinking.

Posey, at this point, becomes almost a tertiary component to the overall landscape of what we did with our round-by-round opportunities.

We really, really, REALLY need Andre Johnson to stay healthy and stay on the field as a viable option every Sunday. He and Foster are the two linchpins that holds our offense together.

My favorite UDFAs are Keenum (QB), Loiseau (LB), and Ford (FB)...because I see those three guys as being the "model player" for what Kubiak and Wade want in a player for their respective squads. There are some other UDFAs that are gifted (Dwight Jones, for example) but might not have the rest of the inventory to stick her long-term.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read