Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #141
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

like Clyde and Hakeem with the 95 Rockets or
Andy and Roger with the 05 Astros.

If Case succeeds, combined with locals Gary and Wade,
Luv-ya-blue could make a serious comeback..

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Born in Abilene, played HS football there, then starred at the UH. If he's someday the starter what a story that would be.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #142
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
the main negative on him is his measurables i.e. his lack of arm strength and his height
wtf?! are you serious?! Keenum can sling it out there
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #143
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaJokaa View Post
I'm just saying what's reported I haven't seen him play enough to judge. Just some YouTube vids
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #144
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I completely agree with you, he got a that knock (lack arm strength) from his Pro-Day. He had problems making certain throws, IIRC. So someone that has never really watched him play, up close and personal can only recite what they read somewhere or heard from a talking head.
Old 05-01-2012   #145
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Like others, I'm pretty excited that we've got a local guy with a chance to be a quarterback on the team - that's a pretty rare thing in the NFL.

But it might save us some heartbreak later if we reel in expectations. Drew Brees' name is being thrown around a lot in here, but that's an unfair and lofty comparison to place on Keenum. Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Keenum went undrafted, let's have him develop his skills and career his own way regardless of any similarities.

Also, it's a tad ironic that we often throw around the "Wade knows more about football then you" line suggesting that those with an official decision making position in the NFL automatically knows more, and thus any sort of conflicting view a fan may have doesn't hold merit. Yet, when every single franchise decides to pass on a quarterback through seven rounds of a draft, suddenly our opinion of a player holds incredible value.

I hope Keenum makes the team, but let's take it slow with this guy.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #146
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
Like others, I'm pretty excited that we've got a local guy with a chance to be a quarterback on the team - that's a pretty rare thing in the NFL.

But it might save us some heartbreak later if we reel in expectations. Drew Brees' name is being thrown around a lot in here, but that's an unfair and lofty comparison to place on Keenum. Brees was drafted in the 2nd round, Keenum went undrafted, let's have him develop his skills and career his own way regardless of any similarities.

Also, it's a tad ironic that we often throw around the "Wade knows more about football then you" line suggesting that those with an official decision making position in the NFL automatically knows more, and thus any sort of conflicting view a fan may have doesn't hold merit. Yet, when every single franchise decides to pass on a quarterback through seven rounds of a draft, suddenly our opinion of a player holds incredible value.

I hope Keenum makes the team, but let's take it slow with this guy.
Drew Brees name isn't being thrown around in regards to a comparison to play, much as when someone throws around the lack of size in a starting NFL QB he's the first player that comes to mind when someone says X is too small to play QB.

Truth is if Keenum is around what ESPN lists at 6'2" and 210 that's around the same size as a lot of starters in the NFL at QB including MVP Aaron Rodgers. I do think Keenum could add some muscle and not affect his game.

As for why he wasn't drafted by the Texans....it's likely that the FO took a calculated risk in assuming he would go undrafted and they'd be the first to get him on the phone after. It was a good call and might be a sign that Rick and Co. are finally having things clicking upstairs when it comes to the draft. I can only hope that this coming season things click as well for Kubiak when it comes to overall game management.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #147
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Go back and watch his throwing motion, then watch the TJ Yates throwing motion and compare the two.

To me, and I'm no QB coach or anything, but Keenum stands tall and throws OVER whereas it looks like TJ sidearms or drops his elbow and slings the ball a bit. Curious to see if I saw what I saw or was imagining it. Would like your feedback.
That's something I mentioned last year.......an eerie flash back to the days of D.............nope, ain't gonna go there!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #148
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Instead of arguing how far he can throw, I focus on accuracy,TDs to INTs and completion
Old 05-01-2012   #149
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

For the record, Keenum was listed as 6'1 208 at the NFL combine:

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532888/case-keenum/
Old 05-01-2012   #150
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Instead of arguing how far he can throw, I focus on accuracy,TDs to INTs and completion

Using these parameters, he is indisputably a runaway from the present crowd. Now, to see if he can replicate in the NFL........I believe he can......especially on a team with a scheme like the Texans.
Old 05-02-2012   #151
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In college they were all great... But a weak conference
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #152
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But no offensive line and its not like Keenum didn't go up against better competition and big schools. His entire body of work is impressive. He just needs to adjust to the speed. If he does that well, he is better than Schaub/Yates (better arm, accuracy, mobility, etc.).
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #153
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
After seeing the QB camp with Gruden...how can you not come away impressed with the guy? I know I didn't see him play every week like some people here, but from the small snippets I got, the kid can play.

I think my favorite thing he said was answering Gruden about the number of hits he took at UH and if people can question if he can stand up to the rigors of the NFL. It was something to the effect of "I'm a quarterback, it's who I am and what I do. Yeah, I took some hits, but at the end of the day I'd rather go up against guys going all out and trying then guys who aren't"

That's REAL Moxy.

Count me as a new member of the Keenum fan club. I really hope this guy can stick to the roster or hopefully at least the PS because I do think he can make it at this level.

Was this when Gruden then chimed in " If you were my quarterback I'd fine you for taking that hit on your shoulder"?

Old 05-03-2012   #154
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arm strength isnt all about how "far" you can throw. Can you throw a 15 yard out pattern on a rope?

That is more what teams want to see. Lofting up a 70 yard bomb doesnt work 90% of the time.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #155
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
Was this when Gruden then chimed in " If you were my quarterback I'd fine you for taking that hit on your shoulder"?

Yeah, that was right before the quote. You're so on the ball.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #156
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Signed,

Steve McNair. Alcorn State - SWAC
Old 05-03-2012   #157
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Signed,

Steve McNair. Alcorn State - SWAC
CO-signed,

Brett Farve - Southern Miss.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #158
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe Keenum has more wins over ranked competition than Tannehill. (SEC opponents as well).

And Ryan went inside the top 10.

Conference arguements are generally fairly week at the NFL level.

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #159
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Another couple of not so bad QBs:

Kurt Warner - Northern Iowa

Rich Gannon - Delaware

Jake Delhomme - Louisianna-Lafayette

Tony Romo - Eastern Illinois

Phil Simms - Morehead State

Doug Williams - Grambling State
Old 05-03-2012   #160
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Using these parameters, he is indisputably a runaway from the present crowd. Now, to see if he can replicate in the NFL........I believe he can......especially on a team with a scheme like the Texans.

Im pretty sure when using those parameters its in the context of NFL play so he cant be a runaway from the crowd right now
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read