Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2012   #61
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck;
I have a problem with someone trying to start up a Smithiak sucks/Wade rules discussion right after the draft based on two WR picks that need to be further researched.
Is smithiak your boy friend? LoL

Just messing with you....kind of
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I sure hope I'm wrong about Posey, I hope in 3 yrs. we look back on this pick as a great one. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and will gladly eat some crow but until that time comes my opinion won't change, Posey was a terrible pick when you consider the talent at WR that was still available, Nick Toon, Marvin McNutt, Marvin Jones, Greg Childs, Mohamed Sanu, Rueben Randle, Juron Criner, etc... This was one of the best/deepest WR classes in a long time, the best I can remember. It lacked alot of elite level talent at the top but their were lots of good WR's in this class. I just hope that 3 yrs. from now we're not looking back on this class saying we screwed up reaching for a 6th round pick in the 3rd when there's was lots of other high quality players available.
That's funny because I'm not that fond of the merci pick and I like both the wr's we got.

Would be awesome if we were both wrong and right.
Old 04-30-2012   #63
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Mercilus and My 2nd/3rd Round Draft Value Chart

Quote:
I sure hope I'm wrong about Posey, I hope in 3 yrs. we look back on this pick as a great one. I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong and will gladly eat some crow but until that time comes my opinion won't change, Posey was a terrible pick when you consider the talent at WR that was still available, Nick Toon, Marvin McNutt, Marvin Jones, Greg Childs, Mohamed Sanu, Rueben Randle, Juron Criner, etc... This was one of the best/deepest WR classes in a long time, the best I can remember. It lacked alot of elite level talent at the top but their were lots of good WR's in this class. I just hope that 3 yrs. from now we're not looking back on this class saying we screwed up reaching for a 6th round pick in the 3rd when there's was lots of other high quality players available.
I'm with ya' and yet here is some things shared on draft day by Mayock:

Childs suffered a knee injury and that led to other Arkansas WRs to shine and get drafted higher.

Toon has been playing with injuries, too. I think he has a foot that bothers him a lot, from what Mayock was saying during the highlights they showed of him.

Randle has route tree issues, apparently, and was more of a deep threat than any of the simpler underneath routes that our WCO runs a lot of.

There's three guys that maybe Kubiak wasn't too impressed with for various reasons. I don't know much about McNutt, Sanu, and Criner though.
Old 04-30-2012   #64
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Well let's not talk about it, let 's be about it. Organize a meet-up for anyone who wants to get together from this message board and I'll make it out for a beer or two and talk about evaluation and some of the things that I've learned from people who do this for a living. There are some basic principles and guidelines that you have to follow in order to really start to think like a team would and I would be more than happy to share them.
If this happens, I'm there.

I just need to know a where and when.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #65
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's all cool.

Posey was someone that I hadn't heard anything about. He wasn't one of the guys I was expecting us to draft.

But that doesn't make him a bad pick.

The ONLY reason he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as all those guys you mentioned was because he was suspended for most of his senior season (and that suspension was for BS). When he did play, he played at the same high level and he played at that level in a run-first offense. Even though he was suspended, he kept his head on straight and continued to work with the team. That shows a lot of maturity that a lot of players wouldn't display.

He's got good speed, he's got good hands, and he's a willing blocker. If he had come out a year earlier, prior to that whole scandal thing, he would have been drafted a lot earlier even though he's the same player.

He may still bust, but you know what? Most of those guys you mentioned are probably going to bust. So lets at least give him a chance to fail.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #66
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Is smithiak your boy friend? LoL

Just messing with you....kind of
The barn door don't swing that way, baby.

Not that Smithiak isn't cute.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #67
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
That's all cool.

Posey was someone that I hadn't heard anything about. He wasn't one of the guys I was expecting us to draft.

But that doesn't make him a bad pick.

The ONLY reason he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as all those guys you mentioned was because he was suspended for most of his senior season (and that suspension was for BS). When he did play, he played at the same high level and he played at that level in a run-first offense. Even though he was suspended, he kept his head on straight and continued to work with the team. That shows a lot of maturity that a lot of players wouldn't display.

He's got good speed, he's got good hands, and he's a willing blocker. If he had come out a year earlier, prior to that whole scandal thing, he would have been drafted a lot earlier even though he's the same player.

He may still bust, but you know what? Most of those guys you mentioned are probably going to bust. So lets at least give him a chance to fail.
Whether his suspension was BS or not makes no difference, it still shows an inability to follow basic rules. If I'm in college getting a free ride then I'm doing everything possible to not screw that up especially not following a rocket scientist like Pryor around doing goofy ****. Of course that's the voice of age and experience talking and not the stupidity of youth. He's young and we all make mistakes at some point in life, most of them when we're young. I did see an interview with him on YouTube and he said all the right things, lets just hope that he's learned a lesson and grown up a bit. Also I wouldn't say he played at a high level when he came back from suspension, he caught 12 passes in 3 games for 162 yds., a 54 yd. average.

On a positive note I keep reading what alot of people are saying that Posey has good hands and runs good routes with decent speed and decent size. If all of this is true then he's got half the battle won already on his way to being a successful NFL WR. Let's hope that he takes coaching well and learns quickly. Also the UDFA signing on Dwight Jones will alleviate some of the pain of the Posey pick as long as he can keep his mouth shut, gain some humility, and start learning. I think OTA's will humble alot of these guys when they see what the next level is really all about. If I'm wrong about Posey I'll gladly eat some crow, everything tastes better with bacon on it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Whether his suspension was BS or not makes no difference, it still shows an inability to follow basic rules. If I'm in college getting a free ride then I'm doing everything possible to not screw that up especially not following a rocket scientist like Pryor around doing goofy ****. Of course that's the voice of age and
I guess the texans really disagree. He was asked about it and he said he'd do it again. He said he was giving some money to his mom to help her pay bills. Said he doesn't regret doing that.

Supposedly the texans liked his honesty and didn't feel like that was an indication of negative character.

A lot of people I'm the history books have bucked simple rules to do what they felt needed to be done. Hell, this country was founded on bucking simple rules.
Old 04-30-2012   #69
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I guess the texans really disagree. He was asked about it and he said he'd do it again. He said he was giving some money to his mom to help her pay bills. Said he doesn't regret doing that.
Very hard to fault someone in that situation. He probably could have taken money from a booster no strings attached and just hoped not to get caught, which a lot of guys probably do, or he could have done something far worse. He chose to sell his stuff, which probably seemed like the best option at the time. He later took legitimate work to help out.

If someone hasn't been in that situation it's pretty easy to judge. (generic someone, not directing this comment to anyone in particular). I don't think what he did was a character issue, based on what I've read.

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard for probably 99% of us to understand what it's like to be at the poverty line and have to resort to maybe breaking some rules in order to help family out.

I can see where his heart was at, but his head wasn't there in terms of the risk/reward aspect of the deal. You have to see college as a four-year free internship where the end results in a paying job (making it onto an NFL team).

Looking back, he should have entered the draft last year. He was a junior last year, right? Should've come out in 2011. I bet he regrets not doing so, which is why he's counting his lucky stars that the Texans drafted him in round 3.

This pick is just kinda awkward in multiple ways. But hey, it's a Texans tradition to take a risk on iffy WRs in the 3rd round. He does appear to be better at catching than JJ. Better at route running than JJ. So we'll see.
Old 04-30-2012   #71
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ
Well let's not talk about it, let 's be about it. Organize a meet-up for anyone who wants to get together from this message board and I'll make it out for a beer or two and talk about evaluation and some of the things that I've learned from people who do this for a living. There are some basic principles and guidelines that you have to follow in order to really start to think like a team would and I would be more than happy to share them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
If this happens, I'm there.

I just need to know a where and when.
Likewise, I'm sure.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read