Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-28-2012   #21
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 7608 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

I'm intrigued by this pick-up. I hope Kubes can do something with him. I don't pay too much attention to college players to know enough about Keenun other than what I've occasionally heard on the radio. How do you guys think he will compare to Kolb in the NFL?
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #22
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 26769 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

Quit regurgitating nonsense about arm strength..

TJ
Yes, arm strength is overrated. But when it affects his accuracy, there's a problem.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...hrowing-drills

I'm not going to bash the pickup because he's an UDFA, but I just think people are getting too excited.
Old 04-28-2012   #23
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.
NFL height = no.
NFL arm = no

Happy to have the hometown kid in camp just for the fun of it, but the odds of watching him taking any regular season NFL snaps are extremely low.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Good pick up...

But it's a far cry from being number 1 overall to being undrafted....

Just messing wit ya 76...

But seriously...I like this pick up a lot...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #25
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 17901 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

He's more accurate than Yates.

Guy has one bad combine and all of a sudden the QB with
every important record in NCAA history is a flop.

He came from an offensive system that doesn't throw those
kinds of patterns.

Let him get some time working it with a receiver and you'll
see the difference.

TJ

Quote:
Yes, arm strength is overrated. But when it affects his accuracy, there's a problem.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...hrowing-drills
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #26
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I can dig it. Give the guy a shot.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #27
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
For the love of God people, Keenum threw the ball with more velocity than T.J. Yates.

Quit regurgitating nonsense about arm strength..

TJ
Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

He'll get a chance and I hope he can capitalize on it.
Old 04-28-2012   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wanted us to sign Kellen Moore, but I'm happy with Case Keenum too. Honestly though, I don't think he'll stick around. I've been reading up scout reports and it seems as though his lack of arm strength really affects his accuracy.
Keenum has more arm strength than Moore, is a better athlete, is a better QB. Moore was outstanding at Boise, but he's not a pro QB. Keenum I think can make it as a backup, due to his underrated athletic ability and moxie.

A pre-draft interview with Keenum where he answers a question about becoming a Texan.

Quote:
What would it be like to be drafted by the Houston Texans? I wouldnt mind it all. Just moving from Scott Street down to Kirby Street. Its a deal where Ive met with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. Ive gotten to know them quite well. I love that entire organization.
Old 04-28-2012   #29
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Good deal. Maybe Kubiak can work with him and help him improve. I doubt he will be more than a PS player though.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #30
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

VIDEO: Case Keenum's 80 Yard Bomb To Patrick Edwards
Jan 02 1:14p by Jonathan Tjarks

Quote:
Despite a record-setting career at Houston, NFL scouts have been leery of Cougars QB Case Keenum.

There have been questions about his level of competition, his arm strength as well as his ability to make plays in the pocket.

He showed the ability to do all three in this 80-yard bomb to Patrick Edwards at the end of the first half of the 2012 TicketCity Bowl against a top-ranked Penn State defense
:
I'll take game-time performance over drills anytime.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Was one of the UDFA I hoped to get. This part of draft Saturday going better than the other.
Old 04-28-2012   #32
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Undersized, lacks arm strength, system QB..... Drew Brees had all of that said about him too.
The NFL had 31 teams when Brees was drafted 32nd overall. That means, by today's standards, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

What you say about Brees is correct, but to compare Keenum to Brees is a real stretch.

Again, I'm happy to have the hometown kid in the fold, but we probably shouldn't expect a Drew Brees kind of story from him.

Just sayin....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #33
iLoveTexans
Veteran

Rep Power: 275 iLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respectediLoveTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This, I think Kellen Moore has a higher ceiling than Keenum, even though Keenum when to UH..

Sig courtesy of False Start!
iLoveTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #34
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
if our 3rd team QB has to play we are in trouble.

I hope the 2nd teamer only plays in mop up duty, when we are up by 30 points
Isn't that what we said last year?

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't draft a QB in the later rounds, but I'm glad we got Keenum signed and I hope he sticks!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #35
Victor B
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Victor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respectedVictor B is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who says he lacks arm strength or accuracy hasn't watched him play very often. He's a playmaker and that is something you can't teach. Go back and watch this past year's games of UH vs UCLA and Penn St. Keenum completely dismantled the "mighty" Big 10 defense of Penn St.

Kellen Moore doesn't have the athletic ability that Keenum has.
Victor B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Shuler View Post
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Former University of Houston QB Case Keenum agrees to a contract with the Texans
woo-hoo.... That's the cherry on top of this draft.

I like it.
Old 04-28-2012   #37
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

That pass went about 45 yards in the air. Not sure how that proves anything.
Old 04-28-2012   #38
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This makes me happy. I hope he does well.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

There is no tangible impediment to Keenum making it in the NFL. All that stuff that gets regurgitated is just the standard parroted bull**** that people read and repeat. It just takes one writer or blogger to start it.

It's really all about whether or not he's got it upstairs and if he's that kind of competitor. If he's got what it takes to do it mentally then he has the tools to make it happen. If he doesn't then he could be David Carr for all that it mattered.

He'll get a chance and I hope he can capitalize on it.
Well said Herv.
Old 04-28-2012   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
That pass went about 45 yards in the air. Not sure how that proves anything.
It doesn't. Neither did the combine passing drills. Once in a NFL game, even preseason, the real test will begin.
Old 04-28-2012   #40
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

Hey, I love getting the guy, but that pass traveled max 42 yards in the air (23 to 35). It didn't really show off his arm strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
woo-hoo.... That's the cherry on top of this draft.

I like it.
Agreed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read