Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012   #101
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't see anyone saying you can't; but several who are saying that it might not be the wisest thing to do.

This is a message board, a discussion or debate. If you post something you best be ready to stand by it and defend it if needed.

So post your draft grade to your hearts content, just don't be shocked when somebody mentions that grading these guys before they play might be iffy.

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.
All you've done is talk trash.

And you didn't even know 6th round was our last round.

So basically you go around dumping on people more than talking football.

People like scouting, and ranking, and grading. Contribute or move along, it's really that simple.
Old 04-28-2012   #102
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Lol... No one's saying you can't, and i understand it's all in fun and all... I'm just saying it's funny because i see D-s through A+s... almost everyone is already wrong, with absolutely nothing to base their grades on since none of these players have stepped on the NFL field yet...

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...
Then why are you posting in a thread that specifically asks posters to do just that, grade the draft? It is about our initial thoughts based on college production. Don't you imagine that the coaches sometimes change their grades on players as the players progress? We do the same.

Most of like to get feedback from others as it sometimes initiates stronger opinions or encourages to rethink our positions.
Old 04-28-2012   #103
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we addressed all of our needs might have chosen a different WR. I would give us a B missing on Reuben Randall. was bad...

sent from way too close to Dallas....
Old 04-28-2012   #104
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102277 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Not big on media, but i love it how they all praise houston here and at the end say noone gained any ground on houston !

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/...ades-AFC-South
Old 04-28-2012   #105
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Then why are you posting in a thread that specifically asks posters to do just that, grade the draft? It is about our initial thoughts based on college production. Don't you imagine that the coaches sometimes change their grades on players as the players progress? We do the same.

Most of like to get feedback from others as it sometimes initiates stronger opinions or encourages to rethink our positions.
Because he wants to and it isn't against any laws or forum rules in America as far as I know.
Old 04-28-2012   #106
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Because he wants to and it isn't against any laws or forum rules in America as far as I know.
It's sort of being a jerk though, right?

I mean the purpose here ( supposedly) is to talk football. I don't see why people have to just be a turd because it's not illegal.

There is a level of etiquette in a forum, and frankly if you can't be nice to others then why be here???
Old 04-28-2012   #107
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Draft Grades, at this point, are just feelings. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is thinking that a draft grade really reflects how good or bad a team performed during the draft. As long as you keep it in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about this draft. They didn't draft some guys I expected but I've got no problems with what they drafted or who they drafted. I think we've got at least 2 guys that are going to be starters.

I think we're going to see some changes in our line. I don't think Caldwell ends up as a starter and I think Wade Smith might have lost his job, too.

I think our WR corps just got totally revamped with AJ the only one that keeps his job. I think we're also going to start to get some production from our UDFA WRs from last year.

I grade this a B+ draft.
The bolded sums it up perfectly.
While I'm one of those who like to wait and see the guys play before assessing how successful the draft was I can see doing a "first impressions" grade right after the draft.

With that in mind, my first impression is very favorable. They addressed, what I thought, was second the biggest need by getting a stud to add to the OLB rotation right off the bat. And if Wade picked him, that likely means he sees some Demarcus Ware in him. Gotta like that.

As you said, TPN, they retooled the WR corps and got a possible return guy in the process.

And they restocked the OL in the later rounds. If our coaches can transform Briesel from UDFA to a 4 million-dollar guard, then they should be able to do something with at least one of these guys.

And we even drafted an award-winning kicker.

The only nit I have - and it is a nit - is we didn't get a QB. I agree with Thorn. We need a 3rd stringer. But we can probably get camp arms in F/A.
Old 04-28-2012   #108
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The only nit I have - and it is a nit - is we didn't get a QB. I agree with Thorn. We need a 3rd stringer. But we can probably get camp arms in F/A.
We ended up with Case Keenum. So. There you go.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 04-28-2012   #109
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

This thread is about giving this draft a grade, right? I just gave my opinion on giving this draft a grade... It's not like i came in here talking off topic or anything... My feedback obviously initiated strong opinions on the topic of grading this draft at this time, so i feel i at least contributed to the thread in that way...

As for coaches grading players and changing those grades as the players progress/don't progress, that isn't a good comparison... Players get better, players get worse... This draft will never change, it is what it is... These players will contribute greatly, well enough, a little here and there or not at all... Right now we do not know...

Now i'm not being a jerk, don't take it that way, but i really do laugh at it because look how many people wrong already! A's here, Bs there, some Cs and Ds, possible Fs...-s and +s... All with nothing to base it off of but "feeling"... I understand the feelings, but some of these grades are being presented as "fact"...

This isn't just for posters here, but for all of the "experts" in print and on the tube...

It is a good discussion, though...i've seen a lot of thoughtful insight.on these threads and guys, have at it... But just as you guys disagree over players and trading back etc..., i disagree with grading a test yet to be taken...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #110
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's sort of being a jerk though, right?

I mean the purpose here ( supposedly) is to talk football. I don't see why people have to just be a turd because it's not illegal.

There is a level of etiquette in a forum, and frankly if you can't be nice to others then why be here???
How am i being a turd? I just don't agree with grading the draft at this point! Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion? Was i supposed to start a new thread, then have someone say "dude we already have two threads on grading this draft, your post should have been posted in one of the existing threads!"?

I'm not calling people names, telling people they're idiots etc... I'm not going off the handle one bit... I'm here to share my opinion as well... That's what this board is here for, eh?

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #111
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How am i being a turd? I just don't agree with grading the draft at this point! Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion? Was i supposed to start a new thread, then have someone say "dude we already have two threads on grading this draft, your post should have been posted in one of the existing threads!"?

I'm not calling people names, telling people they're idiots etc... I'm not going off the handle one bit... I'm here to share my opinion as well... That's what this board is here for, eh?
Honestly Im not sure why people are making a big deal out of it. You don't believe in grading drafts at this point.

Ok, thanks for the input...Now back to those that want to discuss draft grades.

It's really not that crucial.
Old 04-29-2012   #112
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 74660 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

While the other posters cat fight with each other, retract the claws ladies , I'll get back on topic...

I am giving the Texans a Solid B+ if not an A and here is why...

For the first time in Texans history, they were not drafting for need but depth. Except for the first pick in Mercilus, everything after him was for depth and depth alone.

As much as some might hate the Posey pick, I see one of the main reasons Kubiak drafted him is he can block and where he will be playing, Jones' spot, he will be blocking on the perimeter allot. I had no problem with this pick. Had the kid not got ate up with the dumb ass at Ohio State, he would have easily been a late first early second round pick. Because he didn't play most of his Senior year, scouts and so called "draft experts" (That is like calling me a message board expert) threw him in the 6-7th round. But that is here nor there...

Anybody that thought any drafted WR was coming in and taking Kevin Walter's spot as #2 has clearly not been paying attention to how Kubak runs things for the past 7 years. AINT'T NO WAY IN HELL was Ruben Randell, Posey, Santa, E Bunny or anybody short of JC himself gonna walk right in and start for Gary Kubiak... So either way, Texans drafted for a 3rd WR, not 2nd and Posey will be just fine in that position, for the reasons I mentioned above...

Everything else was very well thought out. They got plenty of depth to work with for the next year or two and even picked up the home town boy, except I don't think Keenum is from the Houston area. I really believe, and yall can call me crazy, Keenum will be starting for the Texans in Kubiaks system in 3 years...

It is gonna be damn fun watching the Texans this year....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
Old 04-29-2012   #113
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm giving it an A based on position, round, and need.

we took BPA in the first round with a player who we by all rights could've realistically traded up to get, at a premier position (pass rusher), and is a direct plug into wade's starting defense.

we traded out of the late second round for early 3rd and 4th, a huge win.

3rd was wide receiver and offensive line, the big needs this offseason.

4th we landed a 1-2 graded defensive end, as well as continuing to fulfill the needs on offense with another receiver and offensive lineman.

5th we jumped the run on special teamers and got our kicker

6th we again addressed the trenches and need with an athletic project on offensive line.

UDFA we got our 3rd string quarterback

without using a single name, we hit a grand slam by position in my opinion. one being a potential reach, but offset by getting one that fell ... all (except for kicker obviously) with the ability to learn behind someone while competing for a starting job. we got stronger and deeper in all the right areas, it's hard to ask for more.
Old 04-29-2012   #114
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Merci will start day one I think. Brooks Reed seems more like a situational guy.

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.
Not happening, Walter runs good routes and is a very good blocker. Posey will need a year to improve before he replaces anyone unless injury occurs to Walter.
Old 04-29-2012   #115
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
While the other posters cat fight with each other, retract the claws ladies , I'll get back on topic...

I am giving the Texans a Solid B+ if not an A and here is why...

For the first time in Texans history, they were not drafting for need but depth. Except for the first pick in Mercilus, everything after him was for depth and depth alone.

As much as some might hate the Posey pick, I see one of the main reasons Kubiak drafted him is he can block and where he will be playing, Jones' spot, he will be blocking on the perimeter allot. I had no problem with this pick. Had the kid not got ate up with the dumb ass at Ohio State, he would have easily been a late first early second round pick. Because he didn't play most of his Senior year, scouts and so called "draft experts" (That is like calling me a message board expert) threw him in the 6-7th round. But that is here nor there...

Anybody that thought any drafted WR was coming in and taking Kevin Walter's spot as #2 has clearly not been paying attention to how Kubak runs things for the past 7 years. AINT'T NO WAY IN HELL was Ruben Randell, Posey, Santa, E Bunny or anybody short of JC himself gonna walk right in and start for Gary Kubiak... So either way, Texans drafted for a 3rd WR, not 2nd and Posey will be just fine in that position, for the reasons I mentioned above...

Everything else was very well thought out. They got plenty of depth to work with for the next year or two and even picked up the home town boy, except I don't think Keenum is from the Houston area. I really believe, and yall can call me crazy, Keenum will be starting for the Texans in Kubiaks system in 3 years...

It is gonna be damn fun watching the Texans this year....
While I agre that Posey will not replace Walter, Kubiak has stated he considers JJ a starter as he and Walter play as WR2. I was hoping WR would be selected to replace JJ. That might be Jones or Jones 2 (Dwight).
Old 04-29-2012   #116
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
You really want to go with that? A thread is about a certain topic and you or whomever posts that it is silly to have the thread. Don't argue that the thread is revelent or not; if you think it's not just don't read it.

Your comment just convinces me you have no grasp on what I or others are saying. It is one thing to debate comments but another the thread.
Old 04-29-2012   #117
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
This thread is about giving this draft a grade, right? I just gave my opinion on giving this draft a grade... It's not like i came in here talking off topic or anything... My feedback obviously initiated strong opinions on the topic of grading this draft at this time, so i feel i at least contributed to the thread in that way...

As for coaches grading players and changing those grades as the players progress/don't progress, that isn't a good comparison... Players get better, players get worse... This draft will never change, it is what it is... These players will contribute greatly, well enough, a little here and there or not at all... Right now we do not know...

Now i'm not being a jerk, don't take it that way, but i really do laugh at it because look how many people wrong already! A's here, Bs there, some Cs and Ds, possible Fs...-s and +s... All with nothing to base it off of but "feeling"... I understand the feelings, but some of these grades are being presented as "fact"...

This isn't just for posters here, but for all of the "experts" in print and on the tube...

It is a good discussion, though...i've seen a lot of thoughtful insight.on these threads and guys, have at it... But just as you guys disagree over players and trading back etc..., i disagree with grading a test yet to be taken...
Now I see why you are confused, my thread is for posters to give opinions on how they evaluated the draft NOT whether we should post our evaluations which is what you did. Understand? If you disagreed or debated anyones thoughts/opinions that would have been thread appropriate but that is not what you did.
Old 04-30-2012   #118
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

"Isn't that a part of talking football and contributing to the discussion?"

No, it's not what you did. What you were trying to say is that the people in here are all dumbasses for trying to grade the draft. Right?

So why not start your own thread with the title "Why I don't think we should grade a draft this early" and see how many partiers show up to party with you? But to come into someone else's party and crash it...it's junior high antics. At best.

You got the reactions, you got the face time in here, what else do you want? Share your opinion ON TOPIC instead of trying to debate the legitimacy of the topic. The topic is: GRADE THE TEXANS DRAFT.

It's so simple. Unless you want to make it difficult, which is what it appears. Congrats, you struck gold.
Old 04-30-2012   #119
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quick questions, It seems like every year we draft a few team captains. Did we draft any this year?
I seem to like this draft all the way to the end more than years past, I could see every pick making the team and contributing in the future, some faster than others of course. I am going to give it a big A. I like the big O-linemen we picked up for goaline situations and rotation, I think rotation on O-line is important in this era due to defensive rotations used much more than years past. The O-line needs rest to keep up with the energy, our smaller o-line actually seems to have good stamina compared to other teams that draft big hogs, but a few hogs for short yard situations is needed on this team. I have no clue about receivers and am just hoping they hit this time on at least one of them. I like half of y'all wanted a offensive play maker in the first but have warmed to the overall selections of the team............., can't wait for preseason to start, and hoping we can get past New England.
Old 04-30-2012   #120
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
ill compare it to last years draft

JJ watt- Hey this dude is big can prob help our D

Merclus - Hey OLB depth ok make sense we lost mario

Brooks reed- ???dont know him Hey this dude has long hair ok good building block for a new 3-4

Posey- ????? dont know him we needed WR depth ok

Brandon harris- OK ????? i guess we need som CB help

Brooks- OL depth ehhh ok didnt really need it but o well
OL depth "really didn't need it"???
Lol, your credibility plummeted to below zero with that statement.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read