Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012   #81
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft grade

I really like the picks, especially where we drafted them! Now hopefully they will pan out, so we can win a "friggin" SB! Haha, can;t hurt to dream! B+
Old 04-28-2012   #82
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

rams just drafted a kicker in 6th, so Texans did some good there

can't complain about that now in hindsight
Old 04-28-2012   #83
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
rams just drafted a kicker in 6th, so Texans did some good there

can't complain about that now in hindsight
Agree...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #84
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.
Merci will start day one I think. Brooks Reed seems more like a situational guy.

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.
Old 04-28-2012   #85
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.
Totally agree mate, was picking up on your point rather than disagreeing. Feels good to be in this position and I like what I'm hearing about the picks so far.

I think it leads to some talented players getting released after camp, which is always a good sign.
We will remember them.
Old 04-28-2012   #86
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Merci will start day one I think. Brooks Reed seems more like a situational guy.

Posey will phase out Walter as the season goes along. You need a playmaker on the outside.
Kibuak has stated many times he fells that 1st round picks should be starters day one. If Merciles can beat out Reed, then that just makes us a better team because Reed proved he can be a starter.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 04-28-2012   #87
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Draft grades period
YUP!

Old 04-28-2012   #88
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its funny how many people will come in to a thread called "Texans draft grade" just to post their "novel" idea that you can't grade a draft until 2-3 years after the players have been in the league. And then when someone tries to defend the grading as personal enjoyment, they get all defensive.

1) Why did you even click on this thread? What did you think was going to be in this thread?

2) Once you were in the thread, why waste your time posting? If theres one thing even less useful than grading a draft thats still going on, its posting a useless complaint about the process to an audience who doesn't care

Football is entertainment. Grading drafts is fun. Get over it.

That said, I give our draft a solid B.
First pick was A-
Position of need, good player, good value

Second pick (Posey and the Center) gets a C+
Position of need for WR, not for C unless he plays G. Not good value for WR

Third pick (Keshawn) gets a B+
Position of need for WR and as KR/PR Like this guy a lot

Fourth pick (Crick) gets a B
Depth need and injury history

Fifth pick (Kicker) gets a B
Position of need but a little early in terms of value
Old 04-28-2012   #89
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its funny how many people will come in to a thread called "Texans draft grade" just to post their "novel" idea that you can't grade a draft until 2-3 years after the players have been in the league. And then when someone tries to defend the grading as personal enjoyment, they get all defensive.

1) Why did you even click on this thread? What did you think was going to be in this thread?

2) Once you were in the thread, why waste your time posting? If theres one thing even less useful than grading a draft thats still going on, its posting a useless complaint about the process to an audience who doesn't care

Football is entertainment. Grading drafts is fun. Get over it.

That said, I give our draft a solid B.
First pick was A-
Position of need, good player, good value

Second pick (Posey and the Center) gets a C+
Position of need for WR, not for C unless he plays G. Not good value for WR

Third pick (Keshawn) gets a B+
Position of need for WR and as KR/PR Like this guy a lot

Fourth pick (Crick) gets a B
Depth need and injury history

Fifth pick (Kicker) gets a B
Position of need but a little early in terms of value
Some people are not happy unless they are ****ting on others. It sucks, but that is how it is.
Old 04-28-2012   #90
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Some people are not happy unless they are ****ting on others. It sucks, but that is how it is.
Yup, and its easy to see through because the thread isn't trying to hide what it is
Old 04-28-2012   #91
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the "starter" label gets way over-blown. We absolutely need 3 OLBs on this team, and it really doesn't matter which ones are in on the first defensive possession or the second.

I am very happy with this draft. It is a lot easier going into a draft knowing that you already have a pretty decent football team. We needed quality depth and I think we have done that. Bring on the season.
Old 04-28-2012   #92
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I think the "starter" label gets way over-blown. We absolutely need 3 OLBs on this team, and it really doesn't matter which ones are in on the first defensive possession or the second.

I am very happy with this draft. It is a lot easier going into a draft knowing that you already have a pretty decent football team. We needed quality depth and I think we have done that. Bring on the season.
Excellent point. CB3 is not a "starter" but is key to a great team
Old 04-28-2012   #93
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

1.) Because i wanted to read some thoughts and at the same time reply to the topic... The topic was draft grades, and i gave my opinion on grading drafts before the players involved provide a body of work to grade...

2.) Look at answer 1 for most of the answer to question 2. Obviously you cared or you wouldn't have made your reply...

I don't have a problem with people grading this draft, if they have fun doing it more power to them... And i do enjoy reading thoughts in such threads... But really, when the experts always come back with their "Regrading the (insert year here) Draft" articles mid-way through the season, every season, it should be noted that it's because they should have waited in the first place...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #94
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

For all the doom and gloomers who cried and lambasted Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak after their 2nd draft selection, the NFL Network crew just gave Houston the best draft grade in the entire division.

Maybe, just maybe we're at the point where we don't have to expect the worst and hope for the best every time we draft. They've been pretty good lately.
Old 04-28-2012   #95
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I'll answer in 3-5 years. Thanks. See you soon.
yep...why must everybody grade a draft as soon as it happens? thats just craziness.
Old 04-28-2012   #96
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
yep...why must everybody grade a draft as soon as it happens? thats just craziness.
Draft Grades, at this point, are just feelings. Nothing wrong with that.

The problem is thinking that a draft grade really reflects how good or bad a team performed during the draft. As long as you keep it in perspective, there's nothing wrong with it.

I feel good about this draft. They didn't draft some guys I expected but I've got no problems with what they drafted or who they drafted. I think we've got at least 2 guys that are going to be starters.

I think we're going to see some changes in our line. I don't think Caldwell ends up as a starter and I think Wade Smith might have lost his job, too.

I think our WR corps just got totally revamped with AJ the only one that keeps his job. I think we're also going to start to get some production from our UDFA WRs from last year.

I grade this a B+ draft.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 04-28-2012   #97
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10578 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

There are "first impression" grades and there are "final" grades. Nothing wrong with "grading" a draft now as long as we realize these are based only on our expectations and not on how they actually turn out.
Old 04-28-2012   #98
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Started out kind of rocky for me, but I'm going to give the daft a grade of A overall.

Not going to lie, I'm not a Mercilus fan. I hated the pick at first, but I'm ok with it now. I would have liked someone with a little more explosion and awareness but Merci should be a good to decent player for a long time. He has ok measureables and he is a guy that grinds on every play.

DeVier Posey is a guy that I like. I need to see him play in a Texans uniform before I can say I really like him, but from what I've seen I like his game. Again, I don't see anything that strikes me as spectacular about his game, but I do think he is capable of being a good #2 receiver. Not an AJ replacement, but a good role player that will be dependable.

I think Brandon Brooks is going to take someones job. I had to do some research on him, but the guy is a freak. Big, strong and Foster is going to love him. He is going to bust holes open and LB's will not want to deal with him.

Ben Jones, I haven't seen a lot of clips on him, but in the ones I have seen I like the tenaciosness he plays with. I mocked him to us in one of my early mock drafts, but when we re-signed Meyers I took him off. Good pick up for depth and maybe a possible starter at some point.

I like Keshawn Martin a lot. I think he will see playing time as a returner and in the slot. We don't have a WR like him on the roster. Mahael is close in comparison but he doesn't have the top end speed that Martin has. Good hands, Good route runner. I like him.

JARED CRICK. My favorite pick. I think he's going to play a lot. I love his game and I think it's very similar to JJ Watt's. High motor, good pass rusher. Before his injury he was on pace to be Nebraska's all time sack leader. I think he's going to fit in wonderfully in our 3-4. I also think he makes possibly makes Antonio Smith expendable in the future.

Randy Bullock was a staple in my mock draft for a while and I refused to take him out. I was convinced we'd pick him. Good kicker. Needs to work on his range, but he is super consistent.

I can't wait to see this team in pre-season.
Old 04-28-2012   #99
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
It's fun, probably inaccurate, but fun nonetheless. I enjoy draft days.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 04-28-2012   #100
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't see anyone saying you can't; but several who are saying that it might not be the wisest thing to do.

This is a message board, a discussion or debate. If you post something you best be ready to stand by it and defend it if needed.

So post your draft grade to your hearts content, just don't be shocked when somebody mentions that grading these guys before they play might be iffy.

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.
I think I have a pretty good reputation for defending myself and my posts/threads. I will be happy to debate anyone or discuss just about anything. Making fun of any thread or putting it down just because you don't like the topic is easily remedied by moving on. To agree or disagree on the grades given on a player is one thing to punk the thread is silly to me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read