Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012   #61
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I will always fondly remember Mel Kiper saying that in 4-5 years NO one will look back at the 2002 draft and think that David Carr or Joey Harrington are busts.

And there you go.
Yep. Kiper is hilariously wrong so often it kind of takes the hilarity out of it.
Old 04-28-2012   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

For some of us we get enjoyment and excitement from the draft and the build up to it. We become "emotionally" vested just like most of you do with the actual games. Some of you just want to love on the boys regardless of anything and become hurt when one is traded or let go. Some just set back and let daddy tell you what happens next & you are cool with that. The enjoyment we get is becoming involved with "Our" team. We each read things differently on players, coaches, owners, schemes, play calling etc.

If you want to wait 2-3 years and evaluate, do so but allow others to do what we want. It amazes me how many of you demand to be allowed to do, think and say what you want but are quick to tell others what they should not do.
Old 04-28-2012   #63
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another solid draft for the Texans, considering they were drafting low in order.
They did a good job replenishing the pond.
I'm looking forward to the play-offs again!
Old 04-28-2012   #64
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For some of us we get enjoyment and excitement from the draft and the build up to it. We become "emotionally" vested just like most of you do with the actual games. Some of you just want to love on the boys regardless of anything and become hurt when one is traded or let go. Some just set back and let daddy tell you what happens next & you are cool with that. The enjoyment we get is becoming involved with "Our" team. We each read things differently on players, coaches, owners, schemes, play calling etc.

If you want to wait 2-3 years and evaluate, do so but allow others to do what we want. It amazes me how many of you demand to be allowed to do, think and say what you want but are quick to tell others what they should not do.
Well said. MSR
Old 04-28-2012   #65
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another solid draft for the Texans, considering they were drafting low in order.
They did a good job replenishing the pond.
I'm looking forward to the play-offs again!
That is fine with me.
Old 04-28-2012   #66
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I will always fondly remember Mel Kiper saying that in 4-5 years NO one will look back at the 2002 draft and think that David Carr or Joey Harrington are busts.

And there you go.
My fave Mel Kiper moments were when he got so butt-hurt that Brady Quinn didn't go higher. He really threw a hissy fit.
Old 04-28-2012   #67
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't see anyone saying you can't; but several who are saying that it might not be the wisest thing to do.

This is a message board, a discussion or debate. If you post something you best be ready to stand by it and defend it if needed.

So post your draft grade to your hearts content, just don't be shocked when somebody mentions that grading these guys before they play might be iffy.

It's happend everywhere this forum has exsisted, so you really shouldn't be surprised by now.
Old 04-28-2012   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bullock in 5th is early but locks him in and improves draft.
Old 04-28-2012   #69
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Well said. MSR
I got him for you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 04-28-2012   #70
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bullock in 5th is early but locks him in and improves draft.
Makes it an A+
Old 04-28-2012   #71
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 100796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
C+
Agreed. Mercilus brought it down.
Yep a guy nobody expected to still be there, the NCAA sack leader for 2011 sure made day one suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Day 1

I give it a B , filled a need with a player who I didnt expect to be on the board when the Texans picked.

Day 2

Again I give it a B. Filled two needs with quality players.

Seems like most of the long time draft followers dont care for Posey .... But I am happy with the pick , think he's far more polished than any of the other prospects that we were talking about taking in either of the first two rounds.

Sitting out most of his Sr. season hurt his draft stock but the production was there in the two prior seasons. Good size , good speed , great hands , polished route runner , effective blocker. What more can you ask for .... and in the 3rd round no less.
Agreed with all. My only "gripe" w/ the Texans this year was not trading up in the second. It obvious that they had guys on their board who they were counting on to be there that didn't fall. Once that became obvious, then they traded back.
Old 04-28-2012   #72
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay...they just drafted the AnM kicker... I will now give this draft an A+, only because there is no letter before A...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #73
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

It's kinda cool that we can finally have a rather ho-hum draft with no real expectations (other than the 5th round PK) of having these guys make an immediate impact as starters. This could easily end up as a very solid draft with quality starters in a few years.
Old 04-28-2012   #74
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's kinda cool that we can finally have a rather ho-hum draft with no real expectations (other than the 5th round PK) of having these guys make an immediate impact as starters. This could easily end up as a very solid draft with quality starters in a few years.
Over all, I think this was an excellent draft without even knowing our last pick. I think the team has improved itself.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 04-28-2012   #75
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lol... No one's saying you can't, and i understand it's all in fun and all... I'm just saying it's funny because i see D-s through A+s... almost everyone is already wrong, with absolutely nothing to base their grades on since none of these players have stepped on the NFL field yet...

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #76
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, some people say it takes years to grade a draft properly. We're not even gonna wait until it's FINISHED?!?
Old 04-28-2012   #77
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74062 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
Lol... No one's saying you can't, and i understand it's all in fun and all... I'm just saying it's funny because i see D-s through A+s... almost everyone is already wrong, with absolutely nothing to base their grades on since none of these players have stepped on the NFL field yet...

For me, i will not grade the test before it's been taken... I'll talk about liking/loving/not liking/just being "okay" with a pick, but i can't grade it yet...
We drafted a kicker! Our most pressing need dammit!

A+
Old 04-28-2012   #78
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77963 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

B+ to A for me.

Posey is the only real question mark. I was high on Crick and think he could be the steal of the draft.
Old 04-28-2012   #79
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this draft just because we don't need these guys to start straight away. In 12 months time we're going to have choices to make regarding a lot of the current starters and their contracts, and we're going to need several of these guys to be ready to step in as starters at that point.

That should help these rookie's chances though, giving the coaches some leeway in how they coach them, they can take things that bit slower and get it right knowing that these guys just need to contribute rather than being lynchpins in game 1.

BTW, I'm not going to rate this draft now, but its interesting to read the insight of those who have watched the tape, so keep going. Not like its a final grade, just an idea of how people rate the guys right now. The major factor in this drafts success hasn't yet begun, the coaching, but I don't see anyone claiming some kind of be-all and end-all in their grade right now.
We will remember them.
Old 04-28-2012   #80
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I wouldn't underestimate the importance of this draft just because we don't need these guys to start straight away. In 12 months time we're going to have choices to make regarding a lot of the current starters and their contracts, and we're going to need several of these guys to be ready to step in as starters at that point.

That should help these rookie's chances though, giving the coaches some leeway in how they coach them, they can take things that bit slower and get it right knowing that these guys just need to contribute rather than being lynchpins in game 1.
I wasn't underestimating this draft at all. I called it ho-hum because, barring injury, the only projected starter is a 5th round place kicker. The others can be brought along just like you described. This is how consistent playoff teams draft and we certainly seem headed towards being consistent contenders.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read