Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012   #41
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans draft grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
After 6-7 years on the job... I think they've grown into it. Unlike other people in this thread I really like what they've done so far, so I'm not ****ing bricks right now or hitting panic buttons.

I'm sitting fat and happy and I'm pretty content with this draft so far. I'm really looking forward to see what our 3 4th round draft picks will net us tomorrow.
One of those 4th rounders needs to be the K from A&M.

Maybe the final 4th rounder we have, but I wouldn't want Kubiak to wait until round 5 for the guy.

We have no FG kicker and the FA's available look like Frito corn chips left for a month on a hot sidewalk in July.
Old 04-27-2012   #42
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Every player in the draft is basically a project no matter the round.
Words of wisdom, buddy.

I've always found it interesting that when the talking heads over-rate someone, instead of manning up and saying they screwed up in their assessment, they call the player they mis-rated a "bust".
Old 04-27-2012   #43
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Words of wisdom, buddy.

I've always found it interesting that when the talking heads over-rate someone, instead of manning up and saying they screwed up in their assessment, they call the player they mis-rated a "bust".
They are projects because even the top players will still get better or just be a bust.
Old 04-28-2012   #44
TexanCR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanCR is a quality contributor and well respected

C-

Without Whitney it will be an F easily
Old 04-28-2012   #45
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

I need to see these guys play, for awhile, before I put a grade on them. I don't know ANYTHING about either of our day 2 picks but I'm not going to put a low grade because of that like many people are doing.

First thing I did though when I got home was I looked up their draft grades on NFL.com to get a feeler of where these guys may have gone. Posey's grade was a 71.5 and Brooks had an 82.5. That's actually not too shabby for 3rd round picks.
Old 04-28-2012   #46
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I can say about this thread is that it is going to be very amusing to re read in the coming years. Lots of emotion here.

For the record I am okay with the positions, the player themselves meh. Trading down and getting Posey could be questionable, but I know nothing about him. Brooks may be a solid pick up, but, a 350lb guard? Either way I can't go heavy positive or negative.
Old 04-28-2012   #47
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
C.

Only Mercilus keeps it from being a full-on F.

I'm so pissed over Posey that I cannot see straight enough to think clearly about Brooks yet.
Your not alone. This was a terrible WTF moment for Kubiak.

Wade makes the 1st pick and almost everyone see it as a great pick, I give it an A.
Kubiak makes the 2nd pick and most folks give it a WTF.

Here's hoping that McNair has enough sense to step in and not let Kubiak make any more picks.
Old 04-28-2012   #48
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

You negative nancy's .... I hope you eat crow , served cold and rotten.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Old 04-28-2012   #49
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

ill compare it to last years draft

JJ watt- Hey this dude is big can prob help our D

Merclus - Hey OLB depth ok make sense we lost mario

Brooks reed- ???dont know him Hey this dude has long hair ok good building block for a new 3-4

Posey- ????? dont know him we needed WR depth ok

Brandon harris- OK ????? i guess we need som CB help

Brooks- OL depth ehhh ok didnt really need it but o well
Old 04-28-2012   #50
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You negative nancy's .... I hope you eat crow , served cold and rotten.
So do we, actually. It's not like we want the team to suck, ya know.
Old 04-28-2012   #51
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So do we, actually. It's not like we want the team to suck, ya know.
Somebody else gets it!

My God people, we dont want the Texans to draft bad players. We dont get some sick little rush of joy when we disagree with a pick. We just have our opinions.
Old 04-28-2012   #52
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I didn't go a-hole over us picking Mario. I was fine with it.

I didn't freak out over us trading down and then choosing D Brown and later Slaton. I was for it.

I didn't freak out one single time last year.

Tonight? I had a major malfunction of Full Metal Jacket proportions. Because I think we screwed up completely. I do NOT trust that Posey was our guy. I think we lost out on someone we coveted, traded down (thinking the teams ahead of us wouldn't pick other guys we wanted), and then we had to settle for Posey.

But all we will hear from Smithiak is how much they like that Posey kid...who didn't play most of his senior year because of being suspended. Shucks, we landed the guy we wanted all along......

Whitney Mercilus was a beast pick. Brooks, when I look at how we have drafted OL the past two years, seems to be a good pick. Posey? No way in China.
Based on what? I don't know if it's a good pick or not. But, how do you come up with this totally unsupported theory, assume the theory is true, and then react harshly because you think the theory is true (based on nothing)?

The Texans have taken guys in the middle rounds before that were surprising, somewhat off radar selections. Many of those worked out very well:

Charles Spencer
Glover Quin
Owen Daniels (people freaked out over this one!)
T.J. Yates

By the way, nothing about the Texans' organization and their history indicates they would gamble the way you are suggesting they did. Doesn't make it a good pick, but I suggest your theory is unsubstantiated and totally false.
Old 04-28-2012   #53
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

No one knows how these players will play but let's just act like we do.
Old 04-28-2012   #54
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

People can't wait 2-3 years before judging players so they wait...3 rounds? Stuff like this is not worth arguing about or getting too agitated about. There are no guarantees. We as fans think we know best, but I guarantee you that Kubiak and Wade do more research and know more than we'll ever know.

We might think they reached, might have ignored some needs, might have passed on some "can't miss prospects". Fact is, the draft is such a crapshoot that neither we, nor the FO can accurately project everything, so there's no point in freaking out.
Old 04-28-2012   #55
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

My grade:

I went all the way to the 9th grade. In all those 10 years of formal schooling I can't recall ever having received a report card before I walked into the building.

That insignificant fact set aside, I think I'll wait until the bell rings at the end of the season. This year, and a couple more afterward.

But that's just me.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 04-28-2012   #56
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
My grade:

I went all the way to the 9th grade. In all those 10 years of formal schooling I can't recall ever having received a report card before I walked into the building.

That insignificant fact set aside, I think I'll wait until the bell rings at the end of the season. This year, and a couple more afterward.

But that's just me.
Well said.

I think they got the guys they wanted. I don't know yet if those guys are going to produce.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 04-28-2012   #57
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are all aware that the grades we give to this draft today are based solely on emotion and potential, and nothing else. But that shouldn't keep us from having fun grading it anyway.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Old 04-28-2012   #58
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Lol these crack me up...we're always wrong and overreacting...

Grade this draft in a year or 2-3, NOT before it's even over... #toosoon

Wow...

...and Hell is coming with them!
Old 04-28-2012   #59
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoy the initial gut reaction to drafted players and then comparing those thoughts to how players pan out after ~3 years in the league. I also find it fun to see how badly the talking head "draft guru's" miss the mark.
Old 04-28-2012   #60
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I enjoy the initial gut reaction to drafted players and then comparing those thoughts to how players pan out after ~3 years in the league. I also find it fun to see how badly the talking head "draft guru's" miss the mark.
I will always fondly remember Mel Kiper saying that in 4-5 years NO one will look back at the 2002 draft and think that David Carr or Joey Harrington are busts.

And there you go.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read