Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012   #221
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
List of WR's still available -

Hill
Alshon Jeffery
Brian Quick
Mohamed Sanu
Nick Toon
Dwight Jones
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
Jeff Fuller
Greg Childs
Ryan Broyles.

Out of that group - someone will be there when the Texans are up with #4 of the 4th.
I'd almost be content to go with two of the three - OL , DE , CB in the second and third thinking that one of those big WR's is going to fall.
Sure , I prefer some over others but if you can get value at those other spots , you almost have to do it.

These are the wr's I like in order of preference:

Ruben Randle
Stephen Hill
Brian Quick
Greg Childs
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
T Y Hilton

At some point in this draft the Texans will have to address the DT position. Depth is a big problem there. I like Mike Martin and Derek Wolfe but there are alot of DT's in this draft that could come in and provide much needed help. Ta'Amu, Crick, Worthy,Still, Thompson
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #222
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get Alshon I'll be a very happy Texan.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #223
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
These are the wr's I like in order of preference:

Ruben Randle
Stephen Hill
Brian Quick
Greg Childs
Alshon Jeffery
Mohamed Sanu
Tommy Streeter
Marvin McNutt
T Y Hilton

At some point in this draft the Texans will have to address the DT position. Depth is a big problem there. I like Mike Martin and Derek Wolfe but there are alot of DT's in this draft that could come in and provide much needed help. Ta'Amu, Crick, Worthy,Still, Thompson
Wade said after the draft (last night) that we are still one roster sport short on DT so I'd think that they will address that for sure.

I think the team will take a wr in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds since much of the talent is similar (as far as a finished product goes).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #224
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 22796 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'd personally like to see us try to trade up for Stephen Hill or Randle since we have an extra 4th to play with. I'd be thrilled with our draft already.
Old 04-27-2012   #225
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd personally like to see us try to trade up for Stephen Hill or Randle since we have an extra 4th to play with. I'd be thrilled with our draft already.
I like Hill, and am "iffy" on Randle (but hey, what do i know?), but for whatever position they want i think they can move up...

We can make fun of Jacoby all we want (and we probably should), but there is a team out there that probably wouldn't mind having him as a no.4 wr, maybe punt returner as well... Give 'em that extra 4th rd pick along with JJ and who knows, maybe they'll take...

or was Al Davis our only hope?....damn!

(Edit: sorry if you read the incomplete post...accidently pressed submit on my Tapatalk)

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #226
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Wade said after the draft (last night) that we are still one roster sport short on DT so I'd think that they will address that for sure.

I think the team will take a wr in the 3rd and/or 4th rounds since much of the talent is similar (as far as a finished product goes).
Agreed Vinny. Who do you like at DT?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #227
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
We can make fun of Jacoby all we want (and we probably should), but there is a team out there that probably wouldn't mind having him as a no.4 wr, maybe punt returner as well... Give '
not for what he makes. He's not a credible wr for anyone really....if he can't be a credible wr here, I donno where he could make it.

Old 04-27-2012   #228
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He hasn't played football very long since he wasn't from America. He was a soccer player I think.
But he played TE before. That was enough for the Texans.

NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #229
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not for what he makes. He's not a credible wr for anyone really....if he can't be a credible wr here, I donno where he could make it.
No doubt you're right...but GMs and coaches don't always make the right calls...we have to hope for one of those GMs/coaches... There are a couple out there we could ask for a dance...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #230
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Garrett Wolfe would be perfect.
Old 04-27-2012   #231
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Q: What influence have your parents had on you?
A: “My parents are Haitian immigrants. I can’t give you a dateline of when they came here or anything like that, but they worked for everything. They broke their backs throughout the years just to put food on the table for me, my brother and my sister. They just instilled those values in us and just to work hard, never give up at anything in life and just keep pushing forward and go for great things. It definitely happened.”
Q: What factors weighed in your decision to enter the draft early?
A: “This has been a passion all my life to definitely play at the next level. But also it was a way to help my family financially, because I didn’t come from a background where I had money just laying out there that I could use. It was a way just to help them out and provide them with a life that they deserve because they’ve worked so hard for all their life. Now it’s my turn to take care of them.”
http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/04/21/...tney-mercilus/
No feelings of entitlement with this young man, I like his attitude.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #232
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I talked about Anthony Spencer earlier on another topic...But their measureables are actually similar.
He has similar measurables (actually a bit better) than Pierre-Paul, who also was kind of a 1yr wonder. I'd be ecstatic if he turns out to be that kind of player
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #233
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Agreed Vinny. Who do you like at DT?
someone like Brandon Thompson...he can play all across the line from NT to 5 technique but I'd draft him as a NT and a run stopper inside for short yardage and goal line.

Billy Winn seems to be a Wade kind of guy though....high motor, good slashing skills, but with enough size to be stout vs the run.

I think we are better in passing downs than we are in short yardage....so I'd like to see more of a space eater in the middle of the field.

Old 04-27-2012   #234
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Not a chance. Barwin and Brown will be re-signed, Matt is gone.
not disagreeing, but don't you have to make sure we have his replacement? As I posted somwhere in this madhouse, let's say Schaub is healthy, would he not get all if not most of the snaps? How sure can you be Yates is the future from basically watching him inpractice?
Old 04-27-2012   #235
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
No doubt you're right...but GMs and coaches don't always make the right calls...we have to hope for one of those GMs/coaches... There are a couple out there we could ask for a dance...
nobody is going to trade for Jones...put the smoke down.

Old 04-27-2012   #236
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 64539 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know a ton about him but I expected OLB to be filled with the 1st pick b/c I finally realized that they apparently don't take replacing Jacoby that seriously just yet and I trust Wade. Also, the last name is nice!

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #237
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

wade said we were 1 short on the d-line not DT. we've cody and earl (who i cant remember playing any DE last yr) at NT/DT so i understood it to mean as they're looking for another DE along with JJ, antonio and tim jamison.

if we come away with randle/hill/jeffrey etc, and and OT/OG/DE at the end of today il be happy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #238
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 161104 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Woke up with a headache and severe congestion from last night's draft.

Still incredibly happy with this pick.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #239
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
I don't know a ton about him but I expected OLB to be filled with the 1st pick b/c I finally realized that they apparently don't take replacing Jacoby that seriously just yet and I trust Wade. Also, the last name is nice!
edge rushers are harder to find...just think of all those years we ran out chumps like Peek and Charlie Anderson.

Old 04-27-2012   #240
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
wade said we were 1 short on the d-line not DT. we've cody and earl (who i cant remember playing any DE last yr) at NT/DT so i understood it to mean as they're looking for another DE along with JJ, antonio and tim jamison.
not to nit pick, but in a 3-4 you basically play three DT's. Last night Wade said he was still short one D lineman and that they are looking to address the position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read