Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2012   #141
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - do you like the pick?

I don't have an opinion on the player, so I voted no opinion.

However, I was one of those, "Keep Mario" guys because I didn't want to address the pass rush yet again early in the draft. I knew it was coming & I hated it then, don't really care for it now.

So if that makes sense, I don't hate that we did it, I hate that we allowed ourselves to get into a position where we had to do it yet again...

But I do love the name, definitely gonna get the jearsey.
Old 04-27-2012   #142
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think you're making a huge mistake with the logic of your post.

I doubt that that Jerry made defensive decisions about personnel without input from his defensive minded head coach.

No it wasn't Wade's final call at the end of the day, but it's not his final call at the end of the day here either.
Who are you to say that Jerry Jones isn't an egomaniac who would step over his candy ass HC to make a first round pick.

Not liking a pick because he didn't perform up to your standard on tape is fine, cause that's your opinion. Not liking a pick because the Cowboys picked Anthony Spencer at #26 a few years ago while Phillips was with them is asinine.
Old 04-27-2012   #143
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Anyone see Tamba Hali as a decent comparison to Mercilus?
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #144
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't have an opinion on the player, so I voted no opinion.

However, I was one of those, "Keep Mario" guys because I didn't want to address the pass rush yet again early in the draft. I knew it was coming & I hated it then, don't really care for it now.

So if that makes sense, I don't hate that we did it, I hate that we allowed ourselves to get into a position where we had to do it yet again...

But I do love the name, definitely gonna get the jearsey.
There is only so much cap room to go around, and Mario Williams got the richest contract ever given to a defensive player. Sometimes you have to let players walk and 'rebuild' (the position) through the draft.

I like this pick. It gives us depth at OLB.
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #145
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think you're making a huge mistake with the logic of your post.

I doubt that that Jerry made defensive decisions about personnel without input from his defensive minded head coach.

No it wasn't Wade's final call at the end of the day, but it's not his final call at the end of the day here either.
Jerry Jones? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH<snort>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

The guy that signed TO without talking to any of his offensive coaches or his head coach? The guy that hired his offensive coordinator before hiring his head coach? That guy?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #146
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Would've liked Hill more.

Mercilus will be a great player though. He has the heart MW is missing.

Lets see a trade up for J.Martin/Hill.

It was a wild 1st rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #147
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

"The loss of Ryans and Williams created a need for pass rushers and linebackers. Smith said this week that he likes the depth of linebackers in the draft, and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips says Mercilus was the best player on the Texans' board when their pick came up.

Phillips says Mercilus is ahead of where Reed was when Houston drafted him last year. Reed registered a sack in five consecutive games, the longest streak in team history."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...554/index.html

More quotes:
"DC Wade Phillips said the Texans had considered trading up to select Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus, yet chose to stand firm with the 26th pick. "He's like the guys we have," said Phillips. "He's one of the top pass rushers in the draft, and it's a great opportunity to get a guy like that at this point in the draft."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/18849066

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #148
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

I think given what was available it was a good pick. that said I would have rather us get either a tackle or a WR. Both my offensive picks were gone though so I am kinda Luke warm about the pick. Yeh they addressed a need but I think there were other more pressing needs for the team than olb.

sent from way too close to Dallas....
Old 04-27-2012   #149
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Who are you to say that Jerry Jones isn't an egomaniac who would step over his candy ass HC to make a first round pick.

Not liking a pick because he didn't perform up to your standard on tape is fine, cause that's your opinion. Not liking a pick because the Cowboys picked Anthony Spencer at #26 a few years ago while Phillips was with them is asinine.
Seeing that I didn't say that I can't answer your question.

Regarding the rest of your post I'll just say your comprehension skills need work and I'll leave it at that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #150
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I like the pick. He needs some development, but he could be a very good pass rusher.

"The loss of Ryans and Williams created a need for pass rushers and linebackers. Smith said this week that he likes the depth of linebackers in the draft, and defensive coordinator Wade Phillips says Mercilus was the best player on the Texans' board when their pick came up.

Phillips says Mercilus is ahead of where Reed was when Houston drafted him last year. Reed registered a sack in five consecutive games, the longest streak in team history."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...554/index.html

More quotes:
"DC Wade Phillips said the Texans had considered trading up to select Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus, yet chose to stand firm with the 26th pick. "He's like the guys we have," said Phillips. "He's one of the top pass rushers in the draft, and it's a great opportunity to get a guy like that at this point in the draft."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/18849066

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #151
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like a nice pick.

Trade up and get Jonathan Martin tomorrow. Get a WR too.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #152
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont see how some people would rather have a WR. Going in to the second round there is Randle, Hill, Jeffrey, Sanu and Quick all still on the board (among others). It is very likely that one or more of those guys falls to us.

Edit: plus Fleener is there too.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #153
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If he remained in college and did not do so well, we could have drafted him in 2nd. I don't see how your comment means anything?
His first year starting produced the ncaa lead in sacks. I think it's safer to assume he would continue to shine than regress. I don't see how you couldn't understand that?

Hell, Wade had to say the same thing as me:
Quote:
“But if he did the same thing again for another year, he’d been a top 10 pick (in 2013) without a doubt,” Phillips said. “A lot of people are saying, ‘Yeah, it’s only one year.’ But to me, when a guy shows he can do all those things, I don’t think he’s going to lose that.”

Last edited by Allstar; 04-27-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #154
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Jerry Jones? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

The guy that signed TO without talking to any of his offensive coaches or his head coach? The guy that hired his offensive coordinator before hiring his head coach? That guy?
When it comes to making deals like that Jerry has shown that he's out there. Buy more so on the offensive side of the ball.

Makes 0 sense to hire a good defensive minded coach and then not take their input into account. Unless you are suggesting that because of a few instances Jerry never sought out input from his staff mainly Phillips? No way either if us could know that.

But anyways this thread is not about jones. Back to the topic.

I don't like the pick. I'm not neutral or undecided. For this team next year I dont like it. I can see him developing into a good player in future years, but I don't see him making a big impact next year even if pressed into duty because of injuries.
Old 04-27-2012   #155
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry also drafted a guy today they had zero contact with.......at all. Claiborne thought it was a prank call.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #156
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When it comes to making deals like that Jerry has shown that he's out there. Buy more so on the offensive side of the ball.

Makes 0 sense to hire a good defensive minded coach and then not take their input into account. Unless you are suggesting that because of a few instances Jerry never sought out input from his staff mainly Phillips? No way either if us could know that.

But anyways this thread is not about jones. Back to the topic.

I don't like the pick. I'm not neutral or undecided. For this team next year I dont like it. I can see him developing into a good player in future years, but I don't see him making a big impact next year even if pressed into duty because of injuries.
Who did you want them to take? Wades defense is based on pass rush and we got one with a non-stop motor.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #157
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I called mercilus months ago even if wright was on the board. The gap from mercilus to the next best olb/pass rusher is bigger than the one to the wr. Wr and cb are the deepest in the draft this year. Mercilus is a guy who doesn't have to be schemed to get a sack. Of all the de's who will stand up,he's the most natural. This was a great pick. Not to mention,hill is a project big time. The advisory board gave him a 3rd rd grade. Just because he ran fast in a straight line doesn't mean gms vaulted him up. His short shuttle suggest he can come out a break and gain seperation.
Old 04-27-2012   #158
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I voted "No opinion yet."

I am not disappointed. I am not excited.

My main concern is this: Is Mercilus the better guy between him and Nick Perry? For some reason, Nick Perry just looks stronger.

We didn't reach for a WR, which is good news. I am a bit shocked that we didn't go with an OL when Zeitler was still there, Martin was still there, etc. I really figured that Winston's outright release meant we needed more depth on the line.

The thing that makes me sort of OK right now is that Wade Phillips knows what he wants. And the proof is in Son of Bum's puddin'. If it sits well with Wade, then I'm fine with it. Just have that nagging feeling that Nick Perry would have been a better choice.
Perry does not fit all that well in a 3-4. While he is a strong pass rusher, he can't really drop that well in coverage, so he may struggle as a 3-4 OLB. As a 3-4 DE, he would have to matchup with a couple of big bodies and I am not sure that is the best place to take advantage of his skill set. I think he is best positioned to excel as a 4-3 DE.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #159
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Who did you want them to take? Wades defense is based on pass rush and we got one with a non-stop motor.
There are a few guys I would rather have had. But I'm not one to cry over spilled milk. He's a Texan now and he has my support and fandom. I anxiously await to be proven wrong.
Old 04-27-2012   #160
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why Mercilus wouldn't succeed in the Texans defense. He'll have one job and one job only and that's to rush the passer. The Texans won't depend on him to get 15 sacks, he'll be part of a rotation primarily to keep Barwin and Reed fresh.With the loss of Mario Williams, adding a guy like Mercilus could potentially negate the blow somewhat. Wade's defense is simple from what we've all read and heard, so he should come in and contribute right away. I agree that he's not the strongest, but he'll be on the outside and he'll use his speed and motor to get to the QB. I think at #26 this was a good value pick for us because I don't think there were really any true 1st round WRs besides Blackmon.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read