Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012   #121
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - do you like the pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Well look at it this way: If he stayed his senior year and matched last years production, he wouldn't have been available anywhere near #26.
If he remained in college and did not do so well, we could have drafted him in 2nd. I don't see how your comment means anything?
Old 04-26-2012   #122
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Meet Connor Barwin's replacement for 2013. I'd bet money the Texans have NO intention of resigning CB next year. JMO!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #123
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Nope, this staff for one reason or another is committed to JJ.
Not sure how you can say that with a whole lot of conviction. I belive the cookie may be correct.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #124
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Meet Connor Barwin's replacement for 2013. I'd bet money the Texans have NO intention of resigning CB next year. JMO!
Very possible. I was thinking Texans do not want to be caught in a Mario situation ever again. Yet we have 3 possibles in 2013, Barwin as you mention, Schaub and Duane Brown.
Old 04-26-2012   #125
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And even if they do, but are unable to, at least the front office has their insurance plan in place.

This is how good teams stay at the top for multiple years, solid management decisions.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #126
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
9ners pass on Hill, very telling
Fleener too.
Old 04-26-2012   #127
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I
The thing that makes me sort of OK right now is that Wade Phillips knows what he wants. And the proof is in Son of Bum's puddin'. If it sits well with Wade, then I'm fine with it. Just have that nagging feeling that Nick Perry would have been a better choice.
Last years draft may have been the best defensive draft that Wade has ever had...

That said, it was about the earliest he has picked as well...

Looking back at some of the Cowboys drafts, the players they've gotten defensively haven't been all that. Ware was a Parcells guy if I remember correctly.

The last OLB Wade took at #26 was Anthony Spencer. Hopefully Mercilus is better than Anthony Spencer. Not that Spencer is terrible...But I guess I'm just saying I hope he turns out to be a difference maker.

Spencer may have beeen one of the better defensive picks that Wade made as a Cowboy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #128
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Very possible. I was thinking Texans do not want to be caught in a Mario situation ever again. Yet we have 3 possibles in 2013, Barwin as you mention, Schaub and Duane Brown.
Perhaps the good news is that we don't have anyone who will cost $24 Million (give or take) to franchise next season.
Old 04-26-2012   #129
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Gee...I wonder if I like it.

Actually, that was my exact reaction.
Somehow I knew you would be excited about a fellow Illini as soon as the pick came in.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #130
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Last years draft may have been the best defensive draft that Wade has ever had...

That said, it was about the earliest he has picked as well...

Looking back at some of the Cowboys drafts, the players they've gotten defensively haven't been all that. Ware was a Parcells guy if I remember correctly.

The last OLB Wade took at #26 was Anthony Spencer. Hopefully Mercilus is better than Anthony Spencer. Not that Spencer is terrible...But I guess I'm just saying I hope he turns out to be a difference maker.

Spencer may have beeen one of the better defensive picks that Wade made as a Cowboy.
You're making a huge mistake with the logic of this post.

I doubt Jerry Jones gave his coaches as much say in the selection of players as Rick Smith does.

Some people have made comments about Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak thinking they're the smartest guys in the room (which I disagree with) but Jerry Jones is, I think, a perfect example of someone who thinks they're smarter than everyone else.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #131
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Somehow I knew you would be excited about a fellow Illini as soon as the pick came in.
She had mentioned that she wanted us to draft him earlier in the day.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #132
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll bet he gets more sacks than than current highest paid defensive player who now plays for Buffalo.

Trust is something that's earned, and Wade Phillips has earned my trust.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #133
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised at all.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #134
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Fleener too.
Why would the Niners need Fleener when they have Vernon Davis? Also, they don't need Hill. They signed Mario Manningham and Randy Moss this offseason and they already have Michael Crabtree and Ted Ginn Jr.
Old 04-27-2012   #135
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody get the feeling that a guy named Mercilus should be some Mad Max character wearing post-apocalyptic armor...roaming the field for more people to kill?
Old 04-27-2012   #136
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I'll bet he gets more sacks than than current highest paid defensive player who now plays for Buffalo.

Trust is something that's earned, and Wade Phillips has earned my trust.
Careful. We wouldn't want Mario to get on twitter and respond to your taunting.

BTW, you also have to be careful because your taunting could motivate Mario to actually give a **** about performing on the field.
Old 04-27-2012   #137
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You're making a huge mistake with the logic of this post.

I doubt Jerry Jones gave his coaches as much say in the selection of players as Rick Smith does.

Some people have made comments about Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak thinking they're the smartest guys in the room (which I disagree with) but Jerry Jones is, I think, a perfect example of someone who thinks they're smarter than everyone else.
I think you're making a huge mistake with the logic of your post.

I doubt that that Jerry made defensive decisions about personnel without input from his defensive minded head coach.

No it wasn't Wade's final call at the end of the day, but it's not his final call at the end of the day here either.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #138
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Ming the Mercilus!!!

rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012   #139
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Why would the Niners need Fleener when they have Vernon Davis? Also, they don't need Hill. They signedf Mario Manningham and Randy Moss this offseason and they already have Michael Crabtree and Ted Ginn Jr.
2 TE were are used in the NFL. Played at Stanford with Harbaugh as coach. They drafted a pass catcher anyway.
Old 04-27-2012   #140
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

Man, please.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read