Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about our First rounder?
I like it 190 78.19%
I dislike it 9 3.70%
I don't have an opinion yet 44 18.11%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2012   #81
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - First Round Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Posted this in the draft thread but how can you not love this reaction?

This guy has Texan written all over him!
Especially for a guy who was expected to be taken earlier. I am stoked. This guy wants to be a Texan and has the motor for it. I don't know what rey is watching but this kid chases EVERY ball down. Even from opposite sides of the field.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #82
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Whitney Mercilus - do you like the pick?

when the pick first came down, didn't know what to think honestly. The more i see of him though, the more i'm starting to like the pick.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #83
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i dunno i think mario was a lot stouter looking than him
Mario is 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Mario is a freak, pure muscle. Mercilus could look like him if he works out more.
Old 04-26-2012   #84
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

You could be right, GP, if Mercilus adds about 20 lbs...

Combine 4.63, 27 reps, 32" vertical

Image courtesy of False Start
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #85
JimBaker488
Veteran

Rep Power: 106 JimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respectedJimBaker488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've hit a home run in the first round tonight.
JimBaker488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #86
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it. We need at least 3 stud OLB to rotate. He has good size and motor. Just another tool to take down Lucklockbert.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #87
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311116 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, we can quote ourselves silly from scouting reports, but until we see him in pre season we really don't know. I for one will just trust Wade on this. We did last year, and it worked out really well for us.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #88
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I think we've hit a home run in the first round tonight.
A little early for that... We'll see how it goes... Right now i only "like" the pick, and am excited about the possibilities...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #89
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

They got the position I wanted but I'm not a fan of one year wonders in the first. He's got the talent and his one year as a starter was obviously beast mode, but I am 50/50 at this point.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #90
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Easily BPA and a special player with a redlined motor. Great selection!

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #91
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
How does he compare to Antonio Smith? I mean, I have never really studied Smith's size/weight/etc...but is it possible that we're drafting a bit of a flex guy who could stand in for Smith when Smith's contract is up? In the meantime, Wade (maybe???) is saying "Oh we can figure out how to get him out there."

Because Smith is going to want to see some "love" from the Texans on his next deal. It's just the game that gets played.
Right now? Mercilus is 6'3" and 260#. Antonio Smith is 6'4" and 280#.

I expect Mercilus to be in the OLB rotation with Barwin and Reed.

I expect there to be nickel packages with Barwin, Smith, Watt, Reed on the line and Mercilus and Cush playing LB. And I expect there to be a full suite of blitzes and zone blitzes off that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #92
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
How does he compare to Antonio Smith? I mean, I have never really studied Smith's size/weight/etc...but is it possible that we're drafting a bit of a flex guy who could stand in for Smith when Smith's contract is up? In the meantime, Wade (maybe???) is saying "Oh we can figure out how to get him out there."

Because Smith is going to want to see some "love" from the Texans on his next deal. It's just the game that gets played.
I would not compare them at all. SMith is DE/DT and Mercy is DE/OLB if that makes sense.

I want to stress I am not saying Phillips cannot make him into a terror; just not the guy I expected as OLB #26.
Old 04-26-2012   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im almost shocked he was still available .... They were thin at OLB behind Barwin and Reed , needed help at OLB and they got it.

Also insurance for Barwins pending FA.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #94
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Right now? Mercilus is 6'3" and 260#. Antonio Smith is 6'4" and 280#.

I expect Mercilus to be in the OLB rotation with Barwin and Reed.

I expect there to be nickel packages with Barwin, Smith, Watt, Reed on the line and Mercilus and Cush playing LB. And I expect there to be a full suite of blitzes and zone blitzes off that.
Almost feel bad for Gabbert, Luck and Locker.

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #95
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #96
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Athletic pass rusher with a high motor? Sounds good to me!!!
Old 04-26-2012   #97
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Blaine Gabbert is gonna be saying this even more next year..

Whoa, m***********.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2_18zfbpY

Old 04-26-2012   #98
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I really like the pick. I was getting incredibly nervous about them making a huge mistake in drafting a guy like Cordy Glenn which I thought didn't fit our scheme at all, i was relieved when we took this guy. I honestly wanted Hill the most but the fact that he was passed in the first round was pretty telling.

I'm hoping tomorrow for us to trade up and get Randle. I think we can afford that luxury. We can give up one of our extra 4ths to move up.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #99
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm hoping tomorrow for us to trade up and get Randle. I think we can afford that luxury. We can give up one of our extra 4ths to move up.
I'm good with that.

Old 04-26-2012   #100
BigSmooth1269
Rookie

I like the pick a lot. Keeps the olbs fresher which should lead to more balls to the walls pressure. There will probably be packages with him reed smith barwin watt and cushing. I wanted no part of Mike Adams or Coby Fleener so I am happy. The best part is there is a ton of wr depth left for us to make moves in round 2-3. We look for specific linemen and I trust whoever we draft prob third or fourth round for OL so I trust Smith. Round two you have:Hill, Randle, Sanu, quick all left. Me personally let's go.for randle or quick.
BigSmooth1269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read