Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-24-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rick Smith Pre-Draft Press Conference

Rick seemed in his comfort zone representing Texans well. They are going BPA not a particular need. But I have heard rumors of Upshaw sliding down some teams boards, meaning he could be the next Texan OLB

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #42
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams are there at 26 then that will probably be the pick. Otherwise WR will be the way they go, with the possible exception of Fleener.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #43
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams are there at 26 then that will probably be the pick. Otherwise WR will be the way they go, with the possible exception of Fleener.
steel, do you think Adams will really be considered? Have the Texans gone that far from their MO? I . He seems like a really genuine guy and a hella'va OL prospect, but failing a test he KNEW was coming. Just doesn't sound like the kinda guy the FO wants.

I'd be really surprised. Not disappointed, but damn surprised.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #44
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
steel, do you think Adams will really be considered? Have the Texans gone that far from their MO? I . He seems like a really genuine guy and a hella'va OL prospect, but failing a test he KNEW was coming. Just doesn't sound like the kinda guy the FO wants.

I'd be really surprised. Not disappointed, but damn surprised.
I'd be both.

The failed test combined with 19 reps on the bench press at the combine (although he did get it up to 21 on his pro day) make me both hope and believe that Adams will not be a Texan whether he's there at 26 or not.
Old 04-24-2012   #45
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

saying in the past we havent drafted for need is BS .... LOL

i can name off the top of my head on all the pro bowlers we have missed on

Big ben rothesburger

Darrell Revis

Holtee Nata

Matt schaub

J Peppers

MJD

and i could prob go on and on
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #46
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Big ben rothesburger

Darrell Revis

Holtee Nata

Matt schaub

J Peppers

MJD

I was all over Holtee, too.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #48
drs23 
Veteran

Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I was all over Holtee, too.
What good is an IGNORE LIST if one quotes that asinine dribble?

Old 04-24-2012   #49
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What good is an IGNORE LIST if one quotes that asinine dribble?
You'll never escape Norg
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #50
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

Big ben rothesburger

Darrell Revis

Holtee Nata

Matt schaub

J Peppers

MJD

STOP!!!! Just please, stop!!!

I know that we in the past, got on SIAB and thought he was the second coming of Johnsonfan, OR thought they were one in the same... Obviously SIAB has aquitted himself nicely, maybe Norg is a different verision of Johnsonfan?? Just sayin'!
Old 04-24-2012   #51
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
You'll never escape Norg
OK, so I'll close my eyes and dream.

Old 04-24-2012   #52
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OK, so I'll close my eyes and dream.
Well, we have another trip to "the Dungeon" this offseason. Well, so I heard some of us were there. Me? I'm not sure I ever saw that place, while you chickened out and had a steak at Brennan's (iirc).
Old 04-24-2012   #53
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well, we have another trip to "the Dungeon" this offseason. Well, so I heard some of us were there. Me? I'm not sure I ever saw that place, while you chickened out and had a steak at Brennan's (iirc).
You do indeed RCC. But I didn't "chicken out", I STEAKED OUT!. They were chaining the doors when I got there and let me in. I was the only SOB in there! The chef prepared the whole thing by himself, after cutting up a fresh head of lettuce and brandy new tomatoes for my salad and then he and the waitress sat at the table with and drank wine while I pigged out on one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Great suggestion by that really tall guy Saint's fan wearing the hardhat!

Pisser was, it wasn't three blocks, more like 13. No biggie, it was worth it.

Old 04-24-2012   #54
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
UPDATE: transcript here. Video here. Cliffnotes below.

Excerpts from twitter:

Smith at podium: Says he applauds efforts of scouting/coaching staff. Feels better about this process than in years past.

"The work is done and the board is set."

We have to look at OL group, can help ourselves at WR position, and depth in LB corps. Plus "You can always add corners."

We'll have a quality football player available at 26th pick.

Successful last yr in Draft/Free Agency/On field last year. Reason why: we executed. Went in prepared and we executed.

Impressed w depth in draft this year w WR/OL/LB positions.

this time last yr, none of our LB's had played in the position they wound up playing. Succeeded bc of @sonofbum (Wade Phillips), Herring, scouts.

To have that season under @sonofbum has helped everyone. We're further along now. Always need LB help.

Last yr we were fortunate to get @Brooksreed42. Still think he can get better. Also think @HarrisNOFLYZONE will help us win.

Restricted free agency has never been a strong market for improvement.

I spend next day and a half calling around and asking other GM's about potential trades. Most moves happen when you're on clock, tho

We're talking to K Neil Rackers about coming back. K/P are also part of thought process in draft, but few are ever drafted.

Very confident in @MSchaub8 rehab process. Working hard, looking good, and on schedule.

Gotta love how he pretty much tells everybody what positions we are going to focus on (every GM/scouting staff has probably analyzed and identified our need positions) but then talks about how he is impressed with the depth at the same positions. Coincidence...no.

Few K/P are ever drafted = We are drafting a K. I would bet money that they are zoned in on Bullock.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #55
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
You do indeed RCC. But I didn't "chicken out", I STEAKED OUT!. They were chaining the doors when I got there and let me in. I was the only SOB in there! The chef prepared the whole thing by himself, after cutting up a fresh head of lettuce and brandy new tomatoes for my salad and then he and the waitress sat at the table with and drank wine while I pigged out on one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Great suggestion by that really tall guy Saint's fan wearing the hardhat!

Pisser was, it wasn't three blocks, more like 13. No biggie, it was worth it.
YOU SUCK!!! I would rather have gone to Brennan's.. Although by going to the "dungeon" (not that I remember being there) I did have have the awesome priveledge of watching Joe Texan do a face plant somewhere outside that place!!!!

BTW, Ima call friend in Shreveport Mitch, (who you met), who is also good friends with our "great tall Saints fan", (his name Glenn IIRC) and see if we can do it all again this year!

You in????
Old 04-24-2012   #56
drs23 
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YOU SUCK!!! I would rather have gone to Brennan's.. Although by going to the "dungeon" (not that I remember being there) I did have have the awesome priveledge of watching Joe Texan do a face plant somewhere outside that place!!!!

BTW, Ima call friend in Shreveport Mitch, (who you met), who is also good friends with our "great tall Saints fan", (his name Glenn IIRC) and see if we can do it all again this year!

You in????
Yeah, Glenn! That's the guy!

2nd bolded: I'll hafta axe...

Old 04-24-2012   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
It might be the Jags on the line, do you make the trade to help them get a competent QB? Maybe try to get the Browns into a bidding war with the Jags and send him to a team not in our division. Right now, those are the only two teams I can foresee trading up for Weeden. I'd prefer he goes to the Browns and let the Jags reach for a QB in the 2nd.
would not the Browns just select Weeden with their second of two first rounds rather than get in a bidding war with anyone? I guess if they could draft others in first and then trade up for #26 without a bidding war that would work for them.
Old 04-24-2012   #58
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Rick is merely sticking to the script about Schaub. That script was made by Rick and Bob and Gary, and they've made sure everyone sticks to the script.
Thats not true .... Schaub will be ready barring furter injury.

Dont ask.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 218645 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
You know that Caldwell was the starter in 2012 when Foster led the league in rushing. Yeah he didn't do amazing but he had two high ankle sprains and Foster had a 100 yards in the two games he played and vs th Titans we still had over 100 yards rushing.
First off, THIS is 2012.

When there's been a choice between Caldwell and Brisiel, Brisiel got the starts. Caldwell started 7 games in 2010 but it was because Brisiel was injured. Brisiel started most of the games that year and was "officially" the starter.

Last year, when Brisiel went out, there was a noticeable drop-off when Caldwell came in. That's got me worried.

As you say, it might be that Caldwell is great and that he was just playing through two bum ankles. I know I expected better out of him. But that's what I saw and that's why I'm worried.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Someone's going to call Rick about 26 and try and get Weeden for fear that he won't get to them...

OK, that's me HOPING.
Generally, teams move up to a spot ahead of a team that could select their desired player. If not the pick just before, somewhere in the general area. When the Ravens moved up to #18 in 2008 to select Joe Flacco, they were trying to get ahead of Tampa Bay (selecting at #20). In the current scenario, there are no teams drafting after the Texans at #26 that would be poised to draft Weeden. No team is going to trade up just to trade up. And there's no reason to trade up to #26 to draft Weeden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
No way the Texans draft Adams. Or Jenkins. Or the CB from Nebraska that was recently arrested. It's the Texans. That's not how they roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith
(on if he’s confident that there will be a player available at the 26th overall spot who can step in and contribute right away like many of the Texans’ first-round picks in the past) “Well I think so and I think in the first round you try to get a player that will impact your team. Whether he’s a starter or not, I don’t know if that’s a prerequisite. But I do know that what you try to do is you try to add players that can come in and be impact players and if it’s an offensive player, he can make plays with the ball in his hands. Obviously a defensive player is either going to rush the passer or going to make plays on the ball if he’s a defensive back or a linebacker with sacks, or something like that. Somebody who impacts the team.”
Did Ricky just say that the Texans are going WR (or TE) if they draft offense in the 1st round?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read