Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-24-2012   #21
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No receiver in first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
If Dontari Poe did happen to fall (I think Mayock listed him at #4 DT) I would be hard pressed to pass on him. I know, I know he is 350 lb and Wade likes 300 lb, but Poe has the athleticism better than most 300 lb and is strong as a bulldozer. Another Vince Wolfolk maybe. The knock on him is that he might take a year or two to come into the position, but that is fine. We have people to cover while he adapts.
I am not really a fan of Poe for this reason. He should of been dominant in college. Given this guys natural skill set he should have put up MONSTER STATS given the level of competition he was facing. His lack of production at Memphis compared to his measurables is a big red flag to me.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I am not really a fan of Poe for this reason. He should of been dominant in college. Given this guys natural skill set he should have put up MONSTER STATS given the level of competition he was facing. His lack of production at Memphis compared to his measurables is a big red flag to me.
I could understand if the guy was a LB or safety or DE, but it's super easy to gameplan to stay away from a DT. Double him, triple him, run outside, pass.

Just the nature of the position doesn't lend itself to being a playmaker.

He probably should have been a little better, but when I watch him on film he showed up. He got penetration almost every time. I didn't see many stalemates and I definitely didnt see him moved backwards.

He had some weaknesses, but he looked good overall.

I think with NFL coaching and being placed in the right system he can be a good player. Dominant? I dunno, That's up to him and how hard he works.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Gonna disagree with you as Poe should be very good in this defense. Rey makes good points. If the nose is taking up two defenders, he is earning his check; any penetration that disrupts the pocket or QB is gravy. Nose is one of the few positions where stats mean little to me. I look for stamina as in Ta'amu who did well in bowl. Drafting a nose also allows Mitchell to move to DE.
Old 04-24-2012   #24
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Gonna disagree with you as Poe should be very good in this defense. Rey makes good points. If the nose is taking up two defenders, he is earning his check; any penetration that disrupts the pocket or QB is gravy. Nose is one of the few positions where stats mean little to me. I look for stamina as in Ta'amu who did well in bowl. Drafting a nose also allows Mitchell to move to DE.
That is the reason I would like us to draft a NT as well. I think that Smith could be a cap casualty after next season and Earl would be a great DE. However we cannot agree on everything. That is part of what makes the draft so interesting. I just look at guys who faced superior competition, were game planned for, and had better production despite being less physically gifted. Poe if coached correctly could become an All Pro but I see him as a classic boom or bust prospect. Personally he is a little too risky for my taste given his first round grade but everybody has different opinions. I cannot wait until draft day!!!
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I know some of you hate John McClain but I listen to or watch all sources then decide what I accept. Today (April 23) 8:30a radio 610 said he no longer believes Texans will select WR #26.
I have been saying this for 2 months.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read