Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-23-2012   #81
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy, rmartin65 & beerlover Final 2012 Group Mock

This just in...

"According to multiple league sources, the Colts have ceased all talks with Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and are seriously entertaining other possibilities with the first pick overall in the 2012 NFL Draft."

Upon being questioned by reporters early Monday morning Colts GM Ryan Grigson had some revealing comments, "To be honest we've run into some contract disputes that we may not be able to overcome with Andrew. As a result we began looking for the next best player. We put a lot of value in our internet scouting department and thanks to contributions from message board posters like mussop, we've decided to draft Coby Fleener with the first overall pick."

Colts head coach Chuck Pagano conducted a telephone interview with various local media and commented, " Fleener gave us the best season when we simulated next year on our madden game station. Besides, did you see New England's offense last year? We really want to overhaul our entire offense so we can be just like them."

In response to this breaking news our analyst and former GM Charley Casserly was critical of the colts, "Hey! See. You have to get value if you can find value, see? What do you do when other teams place a second round value on a player you want? Well you draft him before the second round, see? Now I like Andrew Luck ,but I wouldnt place a high value on the Fleener kid see? He's not nearly the talent of a Philip Buchanon. Hey!"

www.stupiddraftinfatuation.com

Mussop, your gonna give Fleener a career ending hernia cause you wont get off his sac.
Old 04-23-2012   #82
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229846 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

"Several sources" tell SI's Tony Pauline that the Texans are seriously considering drafting Stanford TE Coby Fleener with the 26th overall pick.
Pauline also reports that "the other team showing a lot of interest" in Fleener is the 49ers, who draft 30th. Fleener would give Houston an upgrade on Joel Dreessen as a No. 2 tight end. He'd do the same over Delanie Walker in San Francisco, although Walker is a far superior blocker. Fleener doesn't block. Apr 23 - 11:35 AM
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I posted what was written on Rotoworld: http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7418/coby-fleener

I don't know what "second scout" you're talking about?
Here is the quote that Rotoworld quoted from:

1. COBY FLEENER Stanford 6-6 247 4.52 1-2
Reminded one scout of former Cowboy Jay Novacek. "The movement type guy - tough guy you can wham-block with," that scout said. "A smart guy with a real good feel for route running." Compared by others to Todd Heap. "You know, the vertical, big plays, catch the ball and run," said Dominik. "He's more of a long stretch tight end." Named by his mother after former Redskins T Joe Jacoby, whose jersey she spotted on TV. Came out of Joliet (Ill.) Catholic to start 16 of 51 games for the Cardinal, finishing with 96 catches for 1,543 yards (16.1) and 18 TDs. "He wasn't even the best tight end on their team," another scout said. "No. 11 (sophomore Levine Toilolo), that's the real deal. He might be the most overrated guy in the draft. He's awful as a blocker. Despite his workout numbers he's really not a quick-twitch, dynamic-moving guy. He's a straight-line, build-up player. All these reports about him being an athlete and this and that, they're assuming that because he ran fast. He's really just a red-zone, jump-ball player."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...medium=twitter

Your quote and the remainder is taken from Milwaulki, Wisconsin Journal Sentinal. I think it is interesting that the negative scout said teammate Levine Toilolo is the better TE but the article said scout was quoted in has Fleener listed #1 and the other guy is not listed top 20 TEs.
To compare Fleener 2011: 34/ 667 19.6 avg 10 TDs
Toilolo 2011: 25/343 13.7 6TDs

These stats are why others have said that Stanford ran a very balanced offense.
Old 04-24-2012   #84
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Grahm has done well in pre season.

Go look at the last pre season game from this past year. He did very well catching and blocking.

I think he almost had 100 yards receiving.

I can't see what's bolded, I'm on Tapatalk.

But I assume it's the fleener bit?

My point is that Grahm has shown more on the NFL level than any rookie TE has. Doesn't mean he will be better, but my point is that proving it in a real NFL game shouldn't be the only criteria. You can never prove anything if you never get a chance to.

Same as Casey.

And Casey played some TE last year. Vickers was the starting fb to end the season.
Graham's best game was the last one against Minnesota - you know, the one game where we were shut out all year. Six catches for 71 yds. He had two catches for 19 yds in the other three preseason games.

I dunno. I'd be more comfortable if we had a 6-6 guy like Fleener for Matt Schaub to target in the redzone.

Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to trading back for more picks if none of the stud WRs were available @ #26.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #85
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=badboy;1940309]Here is the quote that Rotoworld quoted from:

1. COBY FLEENER Stanford 6-6 247 4.52 1-2
Reminded one scout of former Cowboy Jay Novacek. "The movement type guy - tough guy you can wham-block with," that scout said. "A smart guy with a real good feel for route running." Compared by others to Todd Heap. "You know, the vertical, big plays, catch the ball and run," said Dominik. "He's more of a long stretch tight end." Named by his mother after former Redskins T Joe Jacoby, whose jersey she spotted on TV. Came out of Joliet (Ill.) Catholic to start 16 of 51 games for the Cardinal, finishing with 96 catches for 1,543 yards (16.1) and 18 TDs. "He wasn't even the best tight end on their team," another scout said. "No. 11 (sophomore Levine Toilolo), that's the real deal. He might be the most overrated guy in the draft. He's awful as a blocker. Despite his workout numbers he's really not a quick-twitch, dynamic-moving guy. He's a straight-line, build-up player. All these reports about him being an athlete and this and that, they're assuming that because he ran fast. He's really just a red-zone, jump-ball player."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...medium=twitter
quote]

See the red:

HEL-LOOO! Isn't that what we want? ...a red zone, jump-ball player. The scout makes that sound like a bad thing.

Sounds like the perfect guy to run fade routes to me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #86
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That "u" should have been an "I". My typing gets wonky when I use Tapatalk.

But no, I dont see fleener as a jump ball guy. Not that he can't do it, but I don't think he will be looked at to do it consistently like gronk or Grahm or gates.

I didn't see him doing that a lot in college.
His vertical along with his height put his hands at ELEVEN FEET when he jumps.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #87
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
This just in...

"According to multiple league sources, the Colts have ceased all talks with Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck and are seriously entertaining other possibilities with the first pick overall in the 2012 NFL Draft."

Upon being questioned by reporters early Monday morning Colts GM Ryan Grigson had some revealing comments, "To be honest we've run into some contract disputes that we may not be able to overcome with Andrew. As a result we began looking for the next best player. We put a lot of value in our internet scouting department and thanks to contributions from message board posters like mussop, we've decided to draft Coby Fleener with the first overall pick."

Colts head coach Chuck Pagano conducted a telephone interview with various local media and commented, " Fleener gave us the best season when we simulated next year on our madden game station. Besides, did you see New England's offense last year? We really want to overhaul our entire offense so we can be just like them."

In response to this breaking news our analyst and former GM Charley Casserly was critical of the colts, "Hey! See. You have to get value if you can find value, see? What do you do when other teams place a second round value on a player you want? Well you draft him before the second round, see? Now I like Andrew Luck ,but I wouldnt place a high value on the Fleener kid see? He's not nearly the talent of a Philip Buchanon. Hey!"

www.stupiddraftinfatuation.com

Mussop, your gonna give Fleener a career ending hernia cause you wont get off his sac.
I take it back, you are near sighted.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
His vertical along with his height put his hands at ELEVEN FEET when he jumps.
I understand that, but I didn't see him doing a lot of that in games.

Those measurables don't always translate to the game.

Im not saying he can't do it, I just don't see him as that type of athlete. Doesn't seem all that sudden to me.

I think he has big play potential. I think he will be a good vertical guy and he will eat teams in the seams. But I don't see the all around receiving ability I'd like out of a first round TE that hasn't shown to be that great of a blocker.

I like fleener. Just not for us at 26.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #89
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Fyi. Last night on abc's draft special Kubiak told Bob Allen he thinks of Casey as both a full back and a tight end.

A couple of posters in this thread rested arrguments on the assumption Casey would not be used as a tight end. I know hindsight is 20/20 and im not sure anyone with the organization previously revealed this...but its out there now.

Considering Casey's history and skill set, this wasn't a big surprise for some of us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read