Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-23-2012   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default No receiver in first?

I know some of you hate John McClain but I listen to or watch all sources then decide what I accept. Today (April 23) 8:30a radio 610 said he no longer believes Texans will select WR #26. He mentioned Cordy Glenn bigger than they like but fast at Combine. Nothing said about a trade down.

I will be ok with OG that late but still doubt that happens unless someone falls. It would say something about Caldwell imo. I do know that Dontari Poe is slipping on some boards.
Old 04-23-2012   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No receiver in first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I know some of you hate John McClain but I listen to or watch all sources then decide what I accept. Today (April 23) 8:30a radio 610 said he no longer believes Texans will select WR #26. He mentioned Cordy Glenn bigger than they like but fast at Combine. Nothing said about a trade down.

I will be ok with OG that late but still doubt that happens unless someone falls. It would say something about Caldwell imo. I do know that Dontari Poe is slipping on some boards.
I think his last pick was Nick Perry, OLB/DE USC

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think his last pick was Nick Perry, OLB/DE USC
Yeah, you know I don't think OLB is that high a need but Perry should do well. SOme think he cannot play OLB but I think he'd be a good fit. I posted this thread but there is another in Texans section addressing this topic that I just read again. I guess I could say I don't care much which rounds we get the guys as long as they are quality players.
Old 04-23-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm of same opinion, think receiver value this year is 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

Really depends on trades, though, and who falls to us. If QBs & RBs fall, WR might look best if they can't trade down.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #5
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's become apparent over the last week or so that we aren't taking a WR in round one. If I had to guess, I'd say we take an OL (especially Martin if he falls) or a pass rusher. I expect us to take a #2 type WR in round 2 or 3 (Jenkins, Jones, Quick).

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
It's become apparent over the last week or so that we aren't taking a WR in round one. If I had to guess, I'd say we take an OL (especially Martin if he falls) or a pass rusher. I expect us to take a #2 type WR in round 2 or 3 (Jenkins, Jones, Quick).
I could see Quick being there. I'd also like to wrap up Ryan Broyles for a slot even if he doesn't play much first year.

Fleener, Quick, Ronnell Lewis, Phillip Blake and Broyles then BPA in 5th maybe Adcock in 6th if there.
Old 04-23-2012   #7
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Glenn should be gone when the Texans pick. He is a large athletic OL. he has good feet and tends to overwhelm defenders. At 345, it is near impossible to bull rush into him and his feet allow him to slide well and deal with some speed. Some have projected him as an RT or an OG, but I think he could be
a high caliber OG vs a decent RT. While he has good feet, they are not good enough for speed rushers and he would get beaten more times than you would like.

If Glenn was on the board, I would seriously consider taking him.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2012   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Glenn should be gone when the Texans pick. He is a large athletic OL. he has good feet and tends to overwhelm defenders. At 345, it is near impossible to bull rush into him and his feet allow him to slide well and deal with some speed. Some have projected him as an RT or an OG, but I think he could be
a high caliber OG vs a decent RT. While he has good feet, they are not good enough for speed rushers and he would get beaten more times than you would like.

Agreed

Glenn is a better, more versatile version of Winston. I would have no problem with Glenn at 26. I dont think he will be there though. Give me Hill,McClellin or Jenkins at 26. (Great value) I know the Texans wont be taking J.Jenkins.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post

I agree but to clarify, I think McClain was saying he'd be a guard. CBS has him at 21st over all best.

I'm a big Zeitler fan and might be a target if a trade down. Hopefully someone will fall that allows Houston to be beneficiary of a bidding war for our pick.
Old 04-23-2012   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
It's become apparent over the last week or so that we aren't taking a WR in round one.
why? whats happened in the last week? texans havent said anything at all one way or the other
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #11
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that if Hill is there, the Texans take him. I see nice potential in him. If not, trade back, and get Quick in the second. If they go offensive lineman in the first, hopefully they go WR in the second, and ION in the third.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #12
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

The only way we draft a receiver i believe is if Wright fell. But that's not looking very likely.
Old 04-23-2012   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
why? whats happened in the last week? texans havent said anything at all one way or the other
Seems to be the general consensus from those close to the team and most of the "draftnik" fans.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #14
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I understand that there is a chance we wont take a WR in the first. And while I think that Kendall Wright, Rueben Randall or Stephen Hill would be fine choices, I would consider passing on a WR if we wanted to grab a stud OLB or ILB replacement.

I am not a fan of taking a guard in round 1. Even if he can play RT.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The only way we draft a receiver i believe is if Wright fell. But that's not looking very likely.
Not a Randall or Hill fan?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our positioning and the prospects likely to be available aren't overwhelmingly good values, especially when you are probably letting a better player go to get a WR.

Blackmon, Floyd I think pretty much anyone would be surprised if either of these guys fell to 26. I also think the Texans would have the cue card on stage before Gooddell got through announcing the previous player's name for either receiver.

Hill- long term development athlete with suspect hands. High risk.
Wright- smallish and benefitted from a spread offense being run by a Heisman winner.
Sanu- my own feelings aside, I think most people would consider this a pretty lofty reach. Would be better if they traded down to get him.
Jeffry- character questions.
Randle- huge reach IMO. Same jam as Hill except this guy isn't in the same athletic category as Hill.

Who else could even be considered in the 1st?

The one we've been over that could actually make a little sense is Fleener. He plays like a supersized WR anyway. Alas, I do not believe a receiver (of any kind) is coming in the first.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Perfect scenario for me would be if Hill was there and San Fran traded up for him giving us a third and we then selected Fleener. Depending on who was available late 2nd, I could then see trading that third and our fifth as we did last draft.
Old 04-24-2012   #18
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Just in general I would not rule out a huge G/T type like Brandon Brooks...ect. We drafted Charles Spencer with pick # 65 in 2006 and he was pretty much labeled as just a guard. I believe these were some of Spencer's measurables.

40 Yard Dash: 5.25 seconds
20 Yard Dash: 3.10 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.85 seconds
Bench Press: 30 reps (225 lb)
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

F-it take Randle & get it over already. can't wait until it's done so we can move on with rest of this draft.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012   #20
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

If Dontari Poe did happen to fall (I think Mayock listed him at #4 DT) I would be hard pressed to pass on him. I know, I know he is 350 lb and Wade likes 300 lb, but Poe has the athleticism better than most 300 lb and is strong as a bulldozer. Another Vince Wolfolk maybe. The knock on him is that he might take a year or two to come into the position, but that is fine. We have people to cover while he adapts.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read