Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-20-2012   #81
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Fans / Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
After the national media hurled streams of baseless criticism at the Texans FO for not validating the media's own narrative of Reggie Bush as the next OJ Simpson, Texans fans naturally defaulted to the position of defending the Mario pick.

But six years later, it didn't seem there was a justifiable return for the premium being paid. That has a lot to do with injuries, but Zierlein identifies another important reason:

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...ario-williams/

Brian Cushing is the opposite of this. If Cushing's contract weren't extended, you'd see torches and pitchforks. But if your $80 million player lacks passion, it's no surprise when his exit is passionless.
wrong post
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #82
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
His outside interests aren't really the point. The point is that he seemed to lack passion for the game. That lack of passion was always sensed by fans, but was never openly discussed because of avoidance of accusations of unfair criticism (or validating VY fanboys and media). But the feeling permeated, and it was a sense of oddness that a man with his physical ability was not among the most feared pass rushers in the game. He was indeed dominant at times, but if a pass rusher with his measurables --if he passionately loves the game-- has an appetite to destroy, then that appetite would be satisfied regularly. But he didn't, and that is why his name does not trigger the same response as names like Jared Allen or Demarcus Ware.

Note one of the positives from Zierlein's assessment of Mario:

He addresses Mario's superior physical attribute, and then the potential it provides. After six years of watching Mario Williams, Zierlein speaks of his elite status conditionally, not factually. That says it all right there.
Lance isn't anymore credible than you or i when speaking on this issue b/c he was mainly watching the games on the tube just like we were. Mario's inconsistency dominating can be attributed to being injured a little too much more than anything else. The years he wasn't injured, he did dominate.....which is why coaches and GM's around the league still consider him a premier pass rusher in this league.

This is why I completely understood dalemurphy's main point (worth vs. production) about the whole mario debate despite us disagreeing on whether we should bring him back or not. The whole "motor" & "passion" thing though has always been something that has been overplayed here simply b/c his production hasn't matched up with what he was being paid then or his physical attributes. guys who lack passion for the game don't show up to training camp every year chizzled from granite like he did every year he was here..they don't play thru injuries all the time like he did & they certainly don't put up the sack totals in his 2 best injury-free seasons here that he did.

The overall point i'm trying to make is, you can't really make any sweeping generalizations about what's in a guy's heart/mind unless he's out there just completely dogging it......which mario wasn't.
Old 04-20-2012   #83
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting to go back and read some of Mario's draft profiles.

Quote:
Teaming with Manny Lawson, Mario Williams has helped give NC St. the most feared edge rush duo in college football. As a freshman in 2003, Williams made an immediate impact. For the year he tallied 56 tackles, 13 for loss, and five sacks. He was named to everyone’s Frosh All American lists. As a sophomore, his numbers were almost identical. He finished with 57 tackles, 15 for loss, and six sacks. Williams upped his output for the season finishing with 62 tackles, 24 for loss, and 14.5 sacks.

There may not be a better physical specimen at any position in the draft. Williams has fantastic size for a defensive end, but couples that with supreme athleticism. He draws a lot of comparisons to Julius Peppers for his size and athleticism combination. Mario has the quickness off the line, the ability to change direction, and the closing speed to be a major factor as a pass rusher. But his height and bulk allow him to be a force against the run as well.

Despite being so talented, Williams has not dominated like he should. He just seems to disappear at times. For how big and athletic he is, he should just own opposing tackles. Perhaps that is because he still relies on his athleticism to make plays. Whatever the reason, it does cause some concern.

Williams may end up being the first defensive player selected in April. His upside is that tremendous. He is not as good a prospect as Julius Peppers was, because along with all his talent, Peppers dominated games too. But, the ability is there. Mario is a top 10 lock, and should land in the Top five of the draft.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #84
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Lance isn't anymore credible than you or i when speaking on this issue b/c he was mainly watching the games on the tube just like we were.
Maybe not, but I can confirm what LZ has said. I have a friend who met Mario 4-wheeling and dirtbiking somewhere in the city. They became friends and my friend has been to his house several times.

My friend, for the record, isn't a sports fan at all, and has confirmed that Mario's primary interests in life are cars and 4-wheeling toys.

Whether this is important to his football play is another debate. But, LZ's claims are true.
Old 04-20-2012   #85
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If all he heard was negative, I'd say "hear what you want to" in response.

I've had his jersey for a while now. And when he comes in a different jersey to play for a different team? I'm going to burn it in the parking lot to appease the football gods, chug a beer and go scream my heart out for the only team I'd do such a thing for.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

When I purchased a jersey, I only considered a #80.

#90 was never an option because, quite frankly, I never felt like he gave a crap about football, nor about the Texans, to the same degree that #80 does.

I am glad I never bought a #90. To me, there was just always something off about him.
Old 04-20-2012   #87
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

I never buy jerseys period b/c guys can & do get traded/leave easily these days.
Old 04-20-2012   #88
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
When I purchased a jersey, I only considered a #80.

#90 was never an option because, quite frankly, I never felt like he gave a crap about football, nor about the Texans, to the same degree that #80 does.

I am glad I never bought a #90. To me, there was just always something off about him.
I think this is a big deal. Desire is what makes decent good, and good great, and great legendary.

I think the current front office recognizes this with players like Watt.

I don't know if Smithiak would have drafted Carr or Williams for that reason alone.
Old 04-20-2012   #89
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario reminds me of Dwight Howard. You look at Dwight Howard and think, this is a man among boys, he must dominate the game every night and put up 40&20. But he does not, and although he is still a great player, he will never get the undying praise from the fans and there will always be doubts about effort and passion.
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012   #90
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

I don't know if Smithiak would have drafted Carr or Williams for that reason alone.
I think the drafting of Carr was a business decision. A new franchise needs a face of the franchise to sell tickets and publicity, and that resulted in Carr over peppers. Just like Jax taking a qb with their first selection in the expansion draft and the panthers drafting Kerry Collins with their first pick, a qb is a business decision, not a football decision, for a new franchise
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #91
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I think the drafting of Carr was a business decision. A new franchise needs a face of the franchise to sell tickets and publicity, and that resulted in Carr over peppers. Just like Jax taking a qb with their first selection in the expansion draft and the panthers drafting Kerry Collins with their first pick, a qb is a business decision, not a football decision, for a new franchise
Carr sure gave us the business!
Old 04-21-2012   #92
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #93
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Watching from the sideline??
No, making players from the opposition watch from the sideline.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012   #94
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

This recent Mario interview rings somewhat contrasting in parts. Compare the video at 25-35" to 101-117".

VIDEO
Old 04-21-2012   #95
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This recent Mario interview rings somewhat contrasting in parts. Compare the video at 25-35" to 101-117".

VIDEO
So basically he thinks the fans hated him his whole time here. Because he begins by saying that the fans have received him in Buffalo to a degree he hasn't felt since college.

Then he says he has good memories of the Texans coaches/organization and appreciates all they did while he was there.

Fans = suck

Coaches = great

Why does he have this inferiority complex with the Texans fans? It feels so manufactured. But yet I sense he REALLY believes himself when he says it.

What an odd bird. I think he just has to find a chip to put on his shoulder. He's too big a puss to say anything about former coaches...so he lays his guilt trip onto the fans since they can't do anything to him. He has to look former coaches in the eye, he has to go shake their hands after the game, but he can say whatever he want about us fans and there's no repercussions. That's my theory.

What a puss. Just be a good sport, Mario. Nobody hated you here. We hated the state of the organization, not the players. You want to see some hate? Look at David Carr and Dunta Robinson. THOSE are two guys we loathed and were glad to see leave. Mario, just shut your pie hole about the Texans fans. Geez.

He's going to get boo'd for what he's saying about us, and then he can point to it and say, in an ESPN interview "You saw how they boo'd me when I came back. You see why I said what I said about the fans? They turn on you. That's how they are." All of this crap he's pulling right now, it dove tails right into what he wants to happen. He WANTS this to happen, to show how great he is and how bad he was treated when in Houston.

Dickwad.
Old 04-21-2012   #96
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to have respect for the guy, and was on board with us picking him #1. Now though with all this smack talking he can....I'm gonna borrow a quote from Thorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn
Kiss MY ass!!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read