Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-10-2012   #41
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: The forgotton WRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias, 6'1, 210, drafted: 2009, 3rd round
Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

2. LeStar Jean, 6'3, 215, UDFA 2011
Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

3. Jeff Maehl, 6'0, 190, UDFA
He is shifty, has good hands, and can break out big plays.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.
I want to see what Jean can do......he has good size and speed.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #42
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The forgotton WRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What about Tolliver? Was that his name? Big tall guy...LSU I think?

What about Dickerson? Speaking of projects and wildly bad results...you think Dickerson maybe had an attitude? Or said something someone important didn't like? I thought he had great potential.
It was a pretty hard-fought camp battle at WR last off-season, a lot of injuries also allowed the team to get a real good look at all these guys, they got rid of Dickerson because they saw more both now and for the future from other guys they'd picked up. The Texans nailed the UDFA WR class last season, people were ecstatic that they'd gone out and signed all the talent available, not just one guy.

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get anything from them long term, but they got the best chance they could.

I think if they can't find someone who's going to come in and contribute from day 1 in the first round, then they should take a couple a bit later on to develop, they need to end up with 2 starting caliber WRs in 2 or 3 years, but not at the cost of passing up someone who makes our team better during that time frame with their #1 pick.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #43
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Rey, Myers was a trade for us and started immediately. We need immediate help imo at RG and WR2.

Johnson should have been kept, loved that dude.
My point was that late round guys and UDFA's making an impact or becoming solid players is not something out of the ordinary.

But I was not saying that to suggest that we shouldn't look to fill holes with early draft picks.

I agree that we should look at WR early in the draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #44
BattleRedRock
Cush56HatLayer

Section: blue lot
Rep Power: 0 BattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedRock is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak3ov3r View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_Wupiz3_I

Recent vid of Lestar Jean working out.
Cushing aka chuck norris should have recruited the whole team to work out with him at Genesis, can you imagine the whole team in beast mode?! Everyone faster, stronger, quicker, and intense.. id be willing to bet that if AJ went to Genesis with Cushing barwin and JJ Watt that he wouldnt pull a hamstring this year he would cause secondaries to pull their hamstrings..

Cushing doesnt do push ups, he pushes the world down!
BattleRedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #45
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRock View Post
Cushing aka chuck norris should have recruited the whole team to work out with him at Genesis, can you imagine the whole team in beast mode?! Everyone faster, stronger, quicker, and intense.. id be willing to bet that if AJ went to Genesis with Cushing barwin and JJ Watt that he wouldnt pull a hamstring this year he would cause secondaries to pull their hamstrings..

Cushing doesnt do push ups, he pushes the world down!
OK, that there was funny. I chuckled.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #46
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
nick toon from Wisconsin ran well and VERY well at his pro day.
theres some smaller guys like broyles and hilton who are pretty quick as well
I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year so I had never heard of Nick Toon before. I thought it was a joke until I looked him up.

Maybe he should be sponsored by Nickelodeon and he can be their mascot.

Old 04-11-2012   #47
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
3 Cone Drill Results last 7 years

Not fast but extremely quick.

For the last 7 years.
Maehl had best time at 3 Cone drill @ 6.42
8th best 20 Yard Shuttle @ 3.94
5th best 60 Yard Shuttle @ 10.88
This is what had me sold on Maehl last year. I'm convinced he'll be the Texans' slot receiver of the future.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #48
Quick II Draw
Veteran

Rep Power: 2096 Quick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respectedQuick II Draw is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the draft this year so I had never heard of Nick Toon before. I thought it was a joke until I looked him up.

Nick Toon's father, Al Toon, was a great WR for the Jets. 3x All Pro / Pro Bowl, 517 catches, 6605 yards, 31 tds in 8 seasons.
Quick II Draw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post

When I said in the Garrett Graham scouting thread back then "to look for Nick Toon on Sunday", I didn't mean on Nickelodeon, LOL!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
It was a pretty hard-fought camp battle at WR last off-season, a lot of injuries also allowed the team to get a real good look at all these guys, they got rid of Dickerson because they saw more both now and for the future from other guys they'd picked up. The Texans nailed the UDFA WR class last season, people were ecstatic that they'd gone out and signed all the talent available, not just one guy.

That doesn't mean they'll definitely get anything from them long term, but they got the best chance they could.

I think if they can't find someone who's going to come in and contribute from day 1 in the first round, then they should take a couple a bit later on to develop, they need to end up with 2 starting caliber WRs in 2 or 3 years, but not at the cost of passing up someone who makes our team better during that time frame with their #1 pick.
Agreed, I like both Maehl and Jean but neither has the potential to be a decent #1.

If we have the opportunity to get one in the first round, we should go for it to groom for the future.
Old 04-11-2012   #51
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Agreed, I like both Maehl and Jean but neither has the potential to be a decent #1.

If we have the opportunity to get one in the first round, we should go for it to groom for the future.
Did someone just mention Stephen Hill?
Old 04-12-2012   #52
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Did someone just mention Stephen Hill?
Yes sir, Hill is the name!

There's also a SUPER Sleeper named Dale Moss who had played just one season at a very small school. He played basketball before that. Hardly anybody has him on their draft board, but the guy may sneak into the third round (IMO).

Numerous big catches where he climbed the ladder like Hill (one-handed too) or in heavy traffic (sustaining multiple hits).
I've watched a ton of his tapes and came away very impressed.
There are highlights in several different places, I will have to dig for them.

His measurables are fantastic:
The 6'3", 213-pound receiver ran between 4.38-4.45 in the 40
An eye-popping 41.5 inches in the vertical jump, 10-feet-10 in the broad jump, and a 6.32 in the 3-cone drill.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...mazing-pro-day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcJR5aVtaM
Old 04-14-2012   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
There's also a SUPER Sleeper named...
Interesting. Looks like a bb player. Any game tape?

What do you see in AJ Jenkins?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #54
BigSmooth1269
Rookie

Anyone else in here high on Brian Quick? Big former basketball player so you know he can jump. Pretty good combine numbers and seems like we could groom him. Drafts have him all over but I would love to snatch him round 2
BigSmooth1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Interesting. Looks like a bb player. Any game tape?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycby0...eature=related

You will have to google and look up highlights of indivual games from his team schedule, which is a pain in the Azz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
What do you see in AJ Jenkins?
Good college player now making the long list of second/third tier prospects at the next level.

We know he's got very good speed, almost a speed burner.
He's also quick, but not really ellusive.
Good hands that can stretch out for the catches.

His main negativity is the lack of physicality in his play.

Along the side line, he would let the CB pin him to the sideline too often, giving the QB less room to put the ball. He also needs to learn to compete for the ball better when the QB cannot be at top accuracy. He needs develop this phisicality to help out the QB better to prevent INT.

In the middle, he needs to work to use his body to shield the ball better and to work toward the ball better. There were instances where his lack of phisicality allowed DBs to crowd him out of the play or to get to the ball first for a pass break-up or an INT.

There were a couple of fumbles where it's hard to tell whether it's a ball security issue or the lack of srength.

It's up to the coaches to know whether they can work with him on the phisicality aspect, to get him to become more aggressive.
He needs to improve greatly on that to have the chance to become a number one receiver.
Actually, he needs to improve to become a number two receiver first.

I don't feel comfortable with him in the second round; the third round is probably more of an accurate grade for him (maybe even 4th), but there's potential in his speed and his hands.
Old 04-15-2012   #56
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSmooth1269 View Post
Anyone else in here high on Brian Quick? Big former basketball player so you know he can jump. Pretty good combine numbers and seems like we could groom him. Drafts have him all over but I would love to snatch him round 2
Quick is another good prospect, but I also think that second round may be a bit high of a grade for him.

Dale Moss is slotted to go anywhere between the third and the sixth.
And I'm debating whether to put one guy ahead of the other.
It's tricky with these two guys since there aren't a lot of game tapes on them.
Old 04-16-2012   #57
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The Texans have a few interesting WR prospects nobody seems to be talking about.

1. Juaquin Iglesias, 6'1, 210, drafted: 2009, 3rd round
Never really got a chance with the Bears and had a couple of injuries. Was positively compared to Bobby Engram in college.

2. LeStar Jean, 6'3, 215, UDFA 2011
Everyone probably remembers him coming along in Preseason only to unfortunately suffer a season ending injury. Now he is fully healthy and ready to go. He is not a burner, but he could be a very good WR going forward.

3. Jeff Maehl, 6'0, 190, UDFA
He is shifty, has good hands, and can break out big plays.

While none of them offer Jones' track speed, all three of them have good hands, are good route runners, and made big plays in college when given the opportunity.

Keep these names in mind when we don't see the Texans go WR before the 4th round.
No one's talking about them because... well let's be honest they haven't done anything noteworthy.

Truth be told, and I know I keep banging this drum, this staff just has not done a good job with developing WRs.

IF either of these 3 makes any noteworthy contributions this next year I'll be pleasantly surprised because when it came down to it the staff gave nods last year to veterans over them when the chance for them to rise up mattered.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #58
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
No one's talking about them because... well let's be honest they haven't done anything noteworthy.

Truth be told, and I know I keep banging this drum, this staff just has not done a good job with developing WRs.

IF either of these 3 makes any noteworthy contributions this next year I'll be pleasantly surprised because when it came down to it the staff gave nods last year to veterans over them when the chance for them to rise up mattered.
Honestlly, in terms of replacement grade players, the texans really have not attempted to truly develop WRs... If I have this right (under McSmithiak) Jacoby (3rd), Anderson (7th), dickerson (7th and positional convert) isn't exactly investing in the position. Even if you add acquairing walter for a 7th and the too small KR they got mad at for not being a good WR, they have pretty much went we have a great one and bunches of darts throws to fill out the position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read