Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-08-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your reason for optimism

Hopefully, Watt changed that
Old 04-08-2012   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been mulling this question about in my head since the thread appeared and all I can come up with is that I'm so very, very tired of being pessimistic. I'm optimistic because I'm out of energy to ***** and complain at this point.
Old 04-08-2012   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm optimistic because

1) I think our division is in a weak cycle.
2) I think we're a couple of pieces away from being really a great team. If we can solidify the right side of the line, get a scary good receiver opposite Dre, and improve in the middle of our defense, we'll be scary good.
3) I think we've finally got a defense that can stop some people and should give our offense more opportunities.
4) I think we've got a lot of young players that should only improve from last year.
5) I think we've got a favorable schedule, just judging by who our opponents are going to be. Sure, there are going to be some hard games and we'll lose a few, but there are a lot of teams on the schedule we should beat.
6) We showed amazing resilience last year. I thought we showed amazing resilience the year before on the offensive side that wasn't matched by the defense which just gave up in the last few seconds of every game. Last year, both sides of the ball stepped up.
7) Foster-Tate.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #44
BigSmooth1269
Rookie

I'm pretty psyched to see what happens with us this year. We can be pretty special with development from our young guys and a nice draft too. We have prob best 1-2 in the game at running back so we are set and Schaub is back who I think is top 10 in the league.
Another year with Wade and the defense will remain a beast.
I wanna see what KJ does this year. He wasn't bad last year and a full year with Wade and JJ mentoring him would probably go a long way
BigSmooth1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Your reason for optimism
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #46
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 43605 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRock View Post
Ill be optimistic when Kubiwack stops sending out the field goal kicker who hasn't hit a field goal passed the 40 yrd line to kick a 50 yd plus field goal in crucial times of the game.. either punt or go for it, i don't care just stop sending out a guy who can only hit the extra point
Not to be nit-picky, but Rackers has been 78% (7/9) in the 50+ category the last three years. He was 4/5 this last year alone.

He was at 78% for 40-49 for two years as well, but he did struggle this year at 50%.

He has had 31 FGA in all of the losses in the last three years from the 40+ range, and has only missed three. That's 90% from long range in our losses. He was not costing us games.

For a kicker who has been AUTOMATIC under 40 yards (53/54) and consistently at almost 80% for 40+ for the last three years, I'm going to be optimistic and say that his 4/8 this year in the 40-49 range was an aberation.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #47
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
*ahem*

Scotch is preferable.
I like Scotch too, it just doesn't seem like a football drink to me. More along the lines of when I'm relaxing.
Old 04-14-2012   #48
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

We won a playoff game last season with spare parts and a 5th round rookie QB. If we can keep Schaub, AJ, and the o-line healthy; then we are going to be nasty next season.
Old 04-14-2012   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Not to be nit-picky, but Rackers has been 78% (7/9) in the 50+ category the last three years. He was 4/5 this last year alone.

He was at 78% for 40-49 for two years as well, but he did struggle this year at 50%.

He has had 31 FGA in all of the losses in the last three years from the 40+ range, and has only missed three. That's 90% from long range in our losses. He was not costing us games.

For a kicker who has been AUTOMATIC under 40 yards (53/54) and consistently at almost 80% for 40+ for the last three years, I'm going to be optimistic and say that his 4/8 this year in the 40-49 range was an aberation.

IIRC the holder was different on two he missed.
Old 04-14-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
We won a playoff game last season with spare parts and a 5th round rookie QB. If we can keep Schaub, AJ, and the o-line healthy; then we are going to be nasty next season.
I think this is where a lot of concern is coming from; two of our most important cogs are older and have misse significant games last couple years.
Old 04-15-2012   #51
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

If I am optimistic (cautiously so) I would say it's because we still have the draft.

we lost dreeson
mario
Winston
ryans
but really .....
oh and buckets
... and that CB who went to Cincinnati
but really ....
and we might not have a QB
and Andre is coming off injury and didn't look real good at the end of the yr
but.....
We still have JACOBY JONES!!!!! The fastest man on the field! !!!
you might think he runs poor routes, but your wrong, matt schaub is just so inaccurate he throws it way out of reach!....and it doesn't matter anyway cause we he is probably hurt so whatever....
I guess the bottom line is I am optimistic cause he is greased lighting on the field and will surely live up to the 3 mil he is getting next yr.... plus we playing a bunch of scrubs next yr anyway, nothing like the Juggernauts we faced last yr.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-15-2012   #52
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think this is where a lot of concern is coming from; two of our most important cogs are older and have misse significant games last couple years.
Of course there is reason to be concerned, but this thread is about optimism. I'm optimistic that Schaub and AJ will return to form and therefore I am optimistic about our chances at taking it all the way next season.
Old 04-16-2012   #53
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 116519 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

We play in a lousy division. In spite of the offseason losses I think the team can still win the AFC south. If healthy the team could make a postseason run.
Old 04-16-2012   #54
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 43605 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Granted, Schaub missed 5 games in each of his first two seasons with the Texans, but after he came back in week 14 of the 2008 season, he went 46 straight starts before missing another game. That is almost three straight seasons. I know, I know. Not exactly Favre going to almost 300. Just trying to put a different perspective on the "Schaub is injury prone and always hurt" take.

And he is only 30 years old. Same age as Big Ben, Phillip Rivers, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Rex Grossman. About a year older than Joe Flacco, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Cassel, Tavarius Jackson and Jay Cutler. Three years younger than Tom Brady and Drew Brees. Matt Hasselback and The Forehead are dinosaurs.

Outside of a few younger guys like Andy Dalton, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton, Mark Sanchez and Colt McCoy, most of the starting QB's in the league that are throwing up decent stats are in the 29-34 age group.

I don't think that being 31 by the time the season starts is going to be a huge impact on Schaub. It's not like he was known for being a mobile quarterback to begin with, so he isn't losing his speed/agility with age.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read