Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-13-2012   #21
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock: Early April edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
@Doppleganger, the more I look at this mock the more I like it with the exception of Miller in the 4th, I think we could do better at OG. Nice Job...

Is it draft time yet...
Thanks wolf!

Lots of potential OGs could be there. Who would you prefer in the 4th?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #22
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Can't hate the White pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Thats racist dude!
But, dex and Louis Farakhan have taught us that it's perfectly ok to discriminate against whitey, even black people whose last name is white!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Shea McClellin is becoming a lock first rounder. No way he's there for us in the second.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #24
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Thanks wolf!

Lots of potential OGs could be there. Who would you prefer in the 4th?
Possibilities:

Brandon Washington-OT/OG, maybe available but doubtful.
Tony Bergstrom-OT/OG
Lucas Nix-OG
Senio Kelemete-OG
Joe Looney-OG
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Here we go folks, another Doppelmock from Doppelganger. Fresh off resigning from the GM position of the DoppelColts, I returned to work on the next edition of the Doppelmock. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together for you.

And, now, on with the mock!!!

1. Kendall Reyes, DE, Connecticut, 6’4, 299, 4.79
A superb 3-4 DE to compliment Mr. Watt. He is nearly identical in size and speed to Mr. Watt and also plays with the same relentless motor we have come to admire in Mr. Watt. Mr. Reyes was a 2 year starter and was a havoc in the backfield. In 2011 he had 46 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss and 4.5 sacks. In 2010, 39 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks. At the senior bowl he embarrassed the OL with his bull and speed moves. Wade likes DEs who can pass rush and Reyes can certainly hold his own there. I can see Mr. Reyes competing with Mr. Smith for playing time out the gate. At best he starts. At worst, he eases in as a backup and helps create a scary 3-4 rotation of Watt, Reyes, and Smith.

2. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State, 6’3, 260, 4.62
I really like McClellin as a 3-4 OLB. His measurables look remarkably similar to Brooks Reed (6’3, 263, 4.65). Like Reed and Barwin he is a 2nd round OLB who would flourish in the Wade system. He is relentless and has puts forth max effort until the play has ended. He was a 2 year starter and was able to get some game time as a sophomore. In 2011 he had 50 tackles, seven sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, one forced fumble and a blocked kick. In 2010, he had 9.5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss. He is also super athletic. He played numerous positions in the Boise State front 7 including 4-3 OLB, ILB, and 4-3 DE. He begins as quality depth as the season moves along Wade will give him opportunities and he will become part of a fearsome OLB rotation with Barwin and Reed.

3. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6’3, 224, 4.6
I have liked Criner and mocked him before. In my mind he is the kind of receiver Htown could use next to AJ. He is a productive wr who did great at the senior bowl. In 2011 he pulled in 75 receptions for 956 yards and 11 touchdowns. Its important to note he missed one game due to an appendectomy. In 2010, he caught 82 passes for 1,233 yards and 11 touchdowns. He isn’t as fast as Jacoby, but he has good enough speed to get separation plus has the hands and route running that tend to elude Mr. Jones.

4. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State, 6’0, 203, 4.58
This may be a somewhat controversial pick, but here is how I defend it. Martin looks like a Daniel Manning clone. He has good enough speed, is a solid tackler, and can deflect passes. He is a 2nd round talent that will drop due to injury. He is immediate depth and contributes from the get go on special teams. As he recovers he can pick Mr. Manning's brain and learn the tricks from a wiley veteran. He has all the tools to eventually succeed Manning. Having another Manning type Safety would make Wade smile. And I like to see Wade smiling.

4. Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado, 6’7, 321, 321, 5.27
The one knock on him is he went to Colorado and Kubes is a CSU man. Buffalos and Rams don’t get along!!! All joking aside, he would be an excellent addition to the Kubiak OL. His positives include size, motor, and quickness. He can slide well on pass protection, create holes in running plays, and get downfield to make that all important second level block. His negatives are that he needs some work as he is not ready to go right now. His biggest issue is technique. He tends to stand up too much and at 6’7 can allow smaller DTS and DEs to get under him. Teaching him proper technique will correct this. He comes in as depth but if he can learn technique, I would not be surprised to see him pushing Caldwell for some starting time.

5, Jerry Franklin, ILB/OLB, Arkansas, 6’1, 241, 4.72
I know a lot of people are enamored with Dont'a Hightower. He is a great player and would fit in well in Wade’s 3-4. In addition to being able to play as an ILB, Hightower can also rush the passer. I can clearly see why people are enamored with Hightower. Here is the problem, I think Pitt takes him. Just as he is a great fit for Htown, he is an equally fantastic fit for Pitt. Since Pitt tends to go BPA, its hard for me to think he won’t be BPA when Pitt picks. So, with that in mind, I present to you Jerry Franklin or as I like to call him, a poor man’s Dont’a Hightower. He is not as fast as Hightower and not as big, but he can play the same way. In 2011, he had 101 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, four passes broken up, and a 80+ yard fumble recovery for a td. He was not given the opportunity to rush the passer this year like last year. Last year he was given an opportunity and collected 6.5 sacks from the ILB/OLB spots. His versatility immediately allows him to compete for an ILB spot with Dobbins, Sharpton, and Mister Alexander. In addition once he masters the ILB spot, he will get an opportunity to showcase his pass rushing skills as a potential additional OLB. Not as good as Hightower, but in the fifth round he is excellent value.

6. Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5’11, 250, 4.7
CJ is exactly what the Texans offense needs. As much as I like Casey, I feel he is not a good enough blocking fb. Casey can bring in a ton of catches, but blocking is not really his specialty. Thus, I bring in Cody Johnson. He is primarily a blocking FB and is a beast. Foster and Tate would be thrilled to have such a great blocker in front of them. In addition CJ is a short yardage monster. Get the big man the ball and he will barrel forward for 2 or 3 yards. He was a goal line terror and picked up 6 touchdowns in 2011, 6 in 2010, and 12 in 2009. The one downside to CJ is pass catching. He was never asked to do much of it at UT. In 2011 he caught 1 pass, 4 passes in 2010, and 7 in 2009. However, he is athletic and I think he can learn that skill in time. In the beginning he could start as a traditional FB and short yardage back. In time, if he develops, he can be given more pass catching opportunities. Most people say don't draft a FB unless he is that special, don't think Johnson qualifies but possibly a Bradle Ewing, Wisconsin or Chad Diehl, Clemson.

7. Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan, 6’0, 208, 4.69
He was the most productive receiver in college football. He caught 140 passes for 1,911 yards and 17 touchdowns. In 2010, he caught 94 receptions for 1,378 yards and 10 touchdowns. Yes, his competition was not D1, but those are still impressive numbers. He is getting right around 14+ yards per reception. Would you take that, I certainly would. His 40 time will hurt his draft stock. However, he showed good workout ability and did fine on his drills. He has some good hands and runs routes well. He would almost assuredly be quality depth right away. He could certainly compete to be the #3 slot receiver. I really believe he could be a sleeper and will surprise a lot of folks.
I've been wanting to address your fine mock for a while just never the right moment. Like many first round picks RDE just isn't a big need for the Texans nor is Reyes some type of steal sitting #26. Antonio is in his prime & hit his stride. Shea is an awesome pick, grade wise I think he fits, scheme wise think he fits, overall everything would be great come Friday night & he is still sitting there #58 like a Brooks Reed of a year ago. Criner is also an exceptional selection, underrated by most, his skill set transfers to next level easier than most. Martin would be tempting here, why not? secondary depth is already stacked. Wolf6151 is right about Tony Bergstrom-OT/OG combo to strengthen the right side, I prefer another Brisel clone in Levy Adcock, OSU played LT & didn't allow a single sack all season & that was against BCS competition. Franklin has kinda dropped off most peoples radar, no love for Vontaze Burfict? Love your last pick a punt/kick returner who might also slide in the slot from time to time. nice work as always dopplemock

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read