Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-14-2012   #41
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Trade Up BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Calvin Johnson was the highest rated WR I've ever seen. He was graded out 9.78.

Last Year AJ Green 9.65 & Julio Jones 9.62.

This year Justin Blackmon 9.69. He is considered elite.
He is considered elite by whoever did that rating. It would be nice if it really were all objective and stuff, but while it is virtually universal that he's the top ranked WR in this draft class, I don't think you can say the same thing about his eliteness.

Quote:
Justin Blackmon is widely considered the best receiver in this month's draft, but the jury is out on whether he's an elite player.

When Rob Rang of CBS Sports polled three NFL teams Friday night, all agreed that two quarterbacks, one offensive tackle, one running back and one cornerback classified as "elite" players in this draft. Presumably that includes Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Trent Richardson, Matt Kalil and Morris Claiborne.

None of the teams were willing to make the "elite" claim for Blackmon.
LINK
Old 04-14-2012   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
He is considered elite by whoever did that rating. It would be nice if really were all objective and stuff, but while it is virtually universal that he's the top ranked WR in this draft class, I don't think you can say the same thing about his eliteness.
ourlads

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #43
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ourlads
I never questioned that it existed - I just questioned it being the absolute unequivocal answer to the question.
Old 04-14-2012   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
All three QB's are mobile. They will run five yards on 50% of all plays, forcing the safety to come up and leave a guy open. With three QB's, we can sustain the injuries.
No, not when the DC knows no one can catch a pass and either the RB gets it or QB rushes. What WR will focus defense on him now that AJ has been traded and away fron the other side?
Old 04-14-2012   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nope. Deep draft, not worth trading up for one player, especially Blackmon, who is a lot of hype.
Seems to me Blackmon is sliding a bit. He will still go top 12 but maybe not as high as many thought.
Old 04-14-2012   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I never questioned that it existed - I just questioned it being the absolute unequivocal answer to the question.
it is, absolute.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-15-2012   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No, not when the DC knows no one can catch a pass and either the RB gets it or QB rushes. What WR will focus defense on him now that AJ has been traded and away fron the other side?
Tannehill played WR for a while in college, and he had good hands. He would be an interesting wildcat QB.
Old 04-15-2012   #48
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The way you question Blackmon's skills, I'd have to ask if you've ever watched the guy. He is certainly elite level talent. He is huge, he has great balance after the catch to be able to take off down the field, and he has all of the intangibles you look for in a WR that you could expect to be elite one day or really good. The only knock you could have on him is his speed, but we've seen tons of WR's that lack top end speed. Larry Fitzgerald is one of them.
Yes I've seen him play. He's very good and certainly the best WR their is this year but I only see 5 elite players in this draft. Luck, RGIII, Kalil, Richardson, and Claiborne (questionable). I think Blackmon will be a success in the NFL but will never be an All Pro.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #49
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

the only player i would trade up to get is Floyd! and only if his around the late teens like 17-19.
his my number one...yes above blackmon.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #50
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
the only player i would trade up to get is Floyd! and only if his around the late teens like 17-19.
his my number one...yes above blackmon.
I agree. I like Floyd over all the others as well. The size, speed, hands, combo would be very tempting if he fell to 19-20ish.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Floyd gets a real high grade as well, 9.57. A sure fire top 20 pick probably top 15. A lot of you guys reasoning is based more on the fact there is an outside chance, Texans could move up enough to select him & that is why y'all have convinced yourself Floyd is a better prospect.

It would be a slightly less costly deal to move up with say Philadelphia if he slides to #15. Rick Smith has already done the DeMeco deal with them so they might be tempted to want those picks back? Basically, to swap first round picks & move up from #26 to #15 Rick Smith would have to give Eagles back their 3rd #76 + 4th #99 round picks.

Eagles were semi-loaded with picks before trading to address MLB, by trading down they have addressed this need & retained those picks for dropping 11 spots in the first round. I project them to be selecting an OL anyway, so there is better value, less cost @ #26 for them & one of these two might be available, Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams.

Kinda hurts Texans draft despite grabbing Floyd. Texans would have only a late pick in every round & no third. However the idea is the same, to address WR with a legitimate, proven talent ready to contribute immediately.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-15-2012   #52
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Floyd gets a real high grade as well, 9.57. A sure fire top 20 pick probably top 15. A lot of you guys reasoning is based more on the fact there is an outside chance, Texans could move up enough to select him & that is why y'all have convinced yourself Floyd is a better prospect.

It would be a slightly less costly deal to move up with say Philadelphia if he slides to #15. Rick Smith has already done the DeMeco deal with them so they might be tempted to want those picks back? Basically, to swap first round picks & move up from #26 to #15 Rick Smith would have to give Eagles back their 3rd #76 + 4th #99 round picks.

Eagles were semi-loaded with picks before trading to address MLB, by trading down they have addressed this need & retained those picks for dropping 11 spots in the first round. I project them to be selecting an OL anyway, so there is better value, less cost @ #26 for them & one of these two might be available, Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams.

Kinda hurts Texans draft despite grabbing Floyd. Texans would have only a late pick in every round & no third. However the idea is the same, to address WR with a legitimate, proven talent ready to contribute immediately.
im not one of these people.
i have been following him for 2 seasons at ND and for me his just that good.
He projects best to the NFL, i have never seen him drop a catch, his route running is stellar (admittedly his a little sluggish in break in and out but thats normal for a guy his size) and he has great measurables. Im not at all worried about his off field troubles.
He can makes plays after the catch.
His not projected to be c.johnson or larry fitz but his an AJ type receiver.
case in point his a BEAST!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #53
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hate that trade.

I don't think the Falcons got better making their trade like that although we'll have to see where it stands in a couple of years.

But I don't want to do this.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

per Greg Cosell-
Quote:
TE Coby Fleener, Stanford: "When I watched [Stanford's] offense, and it was a very condensed offense, they were asking [Fleener] to run a number of routes. He ran a pretty significant route tree. He ran a stick-nod-go, which is a vertical route. You see him run across the field on crossers, which have a vertical element. He ran a lot of shorter routes as well, because there were a lot of three- and five-step drops in that offense. But I think Fleener comes into the NFL with an understanding of a fairly complete route tree, and NFL passing game concepts, and the ability to stretch a defense."
I feel Kubiak would love to integrate Coby into the Texans offense immediately.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-15-2012   #55
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Blackmon is hype because he's the best WR this year. All upper 1st round picks get hyped naturally because of where they're being picked, the upper picks are the sexy thing to talk about. Every time I tune in ESPN they're always talking/hyping 1st round picks as if the 1st round were the only round of the draft. He's elite talent for this year but not for the NFL. He's not Chad Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ, Larry Fitzgerald, etc... This draft is very deep at WR but lacks elite level talent, the same can be said for the draft as a whole, deep/good at many positions but not much elite level talent.
All the dudes you listed were taken #2 or 3 overall except Julio. Not sure why you are comparing Blackmon to them when he wouldn't be taken until #6 in my scenario.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #56
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I'd rather stand pat and pick up Fleener as a mega-WR/hybrid TE or simply give up the 1st and probably a 2nd to snag Floyd who is 1b to Blackmon's 1a as far as 2012 prospects go.

I think giving up future 1st round picks is foolish, like running up a debt on a credit card...I can't think of any player I would do this for, maybe Aaron Rodgers. Maybe. I think that's an easy way to handcuff a franchise. Future 3rds...whatever. Future 1sts may as well be my first born son, no dice on any account.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read