Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-11-2012   #21
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I never said Mosley was the 2nd best RT in the draft. I said he was the next best RT after Massie and Schwartz who are probably 4th and 5th on the RT list. This all depends on what teams decide to do with players like Reiff (LT or RT), Martin (LT or RT) and Glenn (RT or OG).

Rey, like I said Mosley could rotate with Butler at RT like Duane Brown did his rookie year. OT's can rotate at their positions just like any other player. If we did it with a 1st round pick then why can't we do it with a 3rd round pick. Caldwell rotated with Brisiel for 3 yrs. at OG.
Brown rotated with salaam because he was taken to be the lt of the future. We drafted him in the first round.

I asked earlier what your intentions for drafting him were. If you think he will immediately challenge for playing time or a starting spot, then more power to you.

I personally don't see that. I think he'd make good depth that likely wouldn't see any action.

That's where we disagree.

Duane rotated with salaam because early on his conditioning wasn't good enough. Salaam wasn't the future. He was a stop gap. The team didn't have as high if expectations then either. I trust butler out on the edge more than I'd trust Mosley, so I don't see any reason for a rotation there.

Rotating your olinemen when you are already going to be trying to build chemistry doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Either bring in someone that is legitimately good enough to challenge for a starting spot from day one there or bring in a high upside later round guy. I don't see him as either one of those guys. Jmo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012   #22
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Good job. I think this is my favorite mock so far. My thoughts:

I have no doubt that OLB will be our first pick. Whoever we choose will be more of a 4-3 edge rusher for passing downs, so I agree with the Perry pick.

Agreed on NT/DE in the 2nd. Moving Earl Mitchell to DE will be necessary when Antonio's contract comes up.

Very much agreed on OT in the 3rd, and the idea of rotating with Butler while he develops.

I don't think Streeter will last that long, but it would be nice.

I don't know much about Brandon Bolden, but his name is eerily similar to mine, so I'm for that pick.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #23
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 2012 Mock Draft 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I tried thinking about this draft from a little different perspective last night and came up with this mock draft. I won't go into long drawn out explanations, we know who most of the players are already. I used Walter Football's 2012 Draft Consensus Rankings that takes into account the average position of players from the big boards of Walter Football, CBS, Mel Kiper, Scouts Inc. etc...

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012consensus.php

1. Nick Perry-OLB, Mario's replacement and forms a 3 man rotation at OLB with Reed and Barwin. Great speed and size for the position.
2. Brandon Thompson-DT/NT, works in a rotation with Cody for a year and then replaces him after next season when Cody becomes a salary cap casualty. Allows the Texans to move Earl Mitchell to his more natural position at 3-4 DE depth. This pick might require a little luck.
3. Brandon Mosley-OT, works in a rotation with Butler at RT and then replaces him after next season when Butler becomes a salary cap casualty. If Massie or Schwartz are available then they're the pick but that's doubtful.
4a. A.J. Jenkins-WR, I really like this guy. He's probably not a future #1 but he's got what it takes to be a very good #2. Great speed, good hands, good routes and can work in the slot or outside. This pick might require some luck as well.
4b. Audie Cole-ILB, Demeco's replacement. Fills the spot with great size and it's not a huge loss losing a 4th round pick when he rotates out on 3rd downs.
5. Tommy Streeter-WR, great potential to be a future #1 but will need a couple years to grow and learn from AJ.
6. Randy Bullock-K, fills the K position for the next 10-15 yrs. so that we're not having to overpay old veterans every year and look for replacements every year.
7. Brandon Bolden-RB, our new #3 RB who also catches the ball well as he was used in the passing game quite a bit compared to other RB's.

Going by walters board I came up with this.

26 Jerel Worthy DT
58 Shea McClellin LB
76 Greg Childs WR
99, Michael Egnew TE
121 Derek Wolfe DE
161 Ryan Broyles WR
195 Winston Guy Jr. S
233 J.R. Sweezy DE

There were no OL available that were close enough to the BPA to warrant picking them in each round. I know there are needs that didn't get help but thats just the way it falls sometimes. I would love this draft. Worthy and MCclellin start right off. Childs and Egnew should be able to contribute right away also. Broyles eventually replaces Jones. Winston Guy contributes on special teams right away. Wolfe and Sweezy become rotation guys making our front seven deep and talented.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #24
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Rey, my intentions for Mosley are to take over and own the RT spot in 2013 because I think Bulter will be a salary cap casualty after next season thus the reason to rotate at RT with Butler this year. I think he has starter potential but might take a year to grow into the position.

Mussop, I really like your mock and have no problems with it other than Broyles in the 5th. I worry that he might start the year on IR and think that we could get someone to contribute in the 5th since this is such a deep WR class. I really like the J.R. Sweezy pick in the 7th, good DE depth and might even be a starter some day. Those first 3 picks and Wolfe are great. Do you think maybe you took to many DE's since the addition of Worthy will move Mitchell to DE depth as well as Wolfe and Sweezy?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I don't know much about Brandon Bolden, but his name is eerily similar to mine, so I'm for that pick.

Now there's a reason to like a 7th round pick. Thanks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #26
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Are we looking to replace Butler or not?

If not, then I don't see the need to take OT that high.

If we are, I'd rather have someone that wasn't as much of a project and would be ready sooner than later.
I would be. Butler has proven himself a worthy competitor but not much more than that, in his what, 6th year? Kind of intending to replace him next year. Mosley can pass block pretty well, good disposition and athleticism make him naturally adept at it. He would need time to develop run blocking (something ANY OL taken is going to experience running a pure ZBS with the Texans) but with Butler, I believe he has that time. Plus, building lines with high investments is a sound strategy.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read