Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-06-2012   #1
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Doppelmock: Early April edition

Here we go folks, another Doppelmock from Doppelganger. Fresh off resigning from the GM position of the DoppelColts, I returned to work on the next edition of the Doppelmock. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed putting it together for you.

And, now, on with the mock!!!

1. Kendall Reyes, DE, Connecticut, 6’4, 299, 4.79
A superb 3-4 DE to compliment Mr. Watt. He is nearly identical in size and speed to Mr. Watt and also plays with the same relentless motor we have come to admire in Mr. Watt. Mr. Reyes was a 2 year starter and was a havoc in the backfield. In 2011 he had 46 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss and 4.5 sacks. In 2010, 39 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks. At the senior bowl he embarrassed the OL with his bull and speed moves. Wade likes DEs who can pass rush and Reyes can certainly hold his own there. I can see Mr. Reyes competing with Mr. Smith for playing time out the gate. At best he starts. At worst, he eases in as a backup and helps create a scary 3-4 rotation of Watt, Reyes, and Smith.

2. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State, 6’3, 260, 4.62
I really like McClellin as a 3-4 OLB. His measurables look remarkably similar to Brooks Reed (6’3, 263, 4.65). Like Reed and Barwin he is a 2nd round OLB who would flourish in the Wade system. He is relentless and has puts forth max effort until the play has ended. He was a 2 year starter and was able to get some game time as a sophomore. In 2011 he had 50 tackles, seven sacks, 12.5 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, one forced fumble and a blocked kick. In 2010, he had 9.5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss. He is also super athletic. He played numerous positions in the Boise State front 7 including 4-3 OLB, ILB, and 4-3 DE. He begins as quality depth as the season moves along Wade will give him opportunities and he will become part of a fearsome OLB rotation with Barwin and Reed.

3. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6’3, 224, 4.6
I have liked Criner and mocked him before. In my mind he is the kind of receiver Htown could use next to AJ. He is a productive wr who did great at the senior bowl. In 2011 he pulled in 75 receptions for 956 yards and 11 touchdowns. Its important to note he missed one game due to an appendectomy. In 2010, he caught 82 passes for 1,233 yards and 11 touchdowns. He isn’t as fast as Jacoby, but he has good enough speed to get separation plus has the hands and route running that tend to elude Mr. Jones.

4. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State, 6’0, 203, 4.58
This may be a somewhat controversial pick, but here is how I defend it. Martin looks like a Daniel Manning clone. He has good enough speed, is a solid tackler, and can deflect passes. He is a 2nd round talent that will drop due to injury. He is immediate depth and contributes from the get go on special teams. As he recovers he can pick Mr. Manning's brain and learn the tricks from a wiley veteran. He has all the tools to eventually succeed Manning. Having another Manning type Safety would make Wade smile. And I like to see Wade smiling.

4. Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado, 6’7, 321, 321, 5.27
The one knock on him is he went to Colorado and Kubes is a CSU man. Buffalos and Rams don’t get along!!! All joking aside, he would be an excellent addition to the Kubiak OL. His positives include size, motor, and quickness. He can slide well on pass protection, create holes in running plays, and get downfield to make that all important second level block. His negatives are that he needs some work as he is not ready to go right now. His biggest issue is technique. He tends to stand up too much and at 6’7 can allow smaller DTS and DEs to get under him. Teaching him proper technique will correct this. He comes in as depth but if he can learn technique, I would not be surprised to see him pushing Caldwell for some starting time.

5, Jerry Franklin, ILB/OLB, Arkansas, 6’1, 241, 4.72
I know a lot of people are enamored with Dont'a Hightower. He is a great player and would fit in well in Wade’s 3-4. In addition to being able to play as an ILB, Hightower can also rush the passer. I can clearly see why people are enamored with Hightower. Here is the problem, I think Pitt takes him. Just as he is a great fit for Htown, he is an equally fantastic fit for Pitt. Since Pitt tends to go BPA, its hard for me to think he won’t be BPA when Pitt picks. So, with that in mind, I present to you Jerry Franklin or as I like to call him, a poor man’s Dont’a Hightower. He is not as fast as Hightower and not as big, but he can play the same way. In 2011, he had 101 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, four passes broken up, and a 80+ yard fumble recovery for a td. He was not given the opportunity to rush the passer this year like last year. Last year he was given an opportunity and collected 6.5 sacks from the ILB/OLB spots. His versatility immediately allows him to compete for an ILB spot with Dobbins, Sharpton, and Mister Alexander. In addition once he masters the ILB spot, he will get an opportunity to showcase his pass rushing skills as a potential additional OLB. Not as good as Hightower, but in the fifth round he is excellent value.

6. Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5’11, 250, 4.7
CJ is exactly what the Texans offense needs. As much as I like Casey, I feel he is not a good enough blocking fb. Casey can bring in a ton of catches, but blocking is not really his specialty. Thus, I bring in Cody Johnson. He is primarily a blocking FB and is a beast. Foster and Tate would be thrilled to have such a great blocker in front of them. In addition CJ is a short yardage monster. Get the big man the ball and he will barrel forward for 2 or 3 yards. He was a goal line terror and picked up 6 touchdowns in 2011, 6 in 2010, and 12 in 2009. The one downside to CJ is pass catching. He was never asked to do much of it at UT. In 2011 he caught 1 pass, 4 passes in 2010, and 7 in 2009. However, he is athletic and I think he can learn that skill in time. In the beginning he could start as a traditional FB and short yardage back. In time, if he develops, he can be given more pass catching opportunities.

7. Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan, 6’0, 208, 4.69
He was the most productive receiver in college football. He caught 140 passes for 1,911 yards and 17 touchdowns. In 2010, he caught 94 receptions for 1,378 yards and 10 touchdowns. Yes, his competition was not D1, but those are still impressive numbers. He is getting right around 14+ yards per reception. Would you take that, I certainly would. His 40 time will hurt his draft stock. However, he showed good workout ability and did fine on his drills. He has some good hands and runs routes well. He would almost assuredly be quality depth right away. He could certainly compete to be the #3 slot receiver. I really believe he could be a sleeper and will surprise a lot of folks.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock: Early April edition

JMO.

1. Reyes, I like this pick and have been giving him heavy consideration in my latest mocks as a replacement of Smith in 2013, Smith is looking alot like a cap casualty after next season. I really like his size and speed combo.
2. McClellin, I really like this pick as well, but he's been moving up boards fast lately and might not be around in the late 2nd. Great pick if available.
3. Criner, I really like this guy as well. Good pick.
4a. Martin, I like this pick but question him falling this late, he'd add some very good depth to the Safety corp. I haven't heard of injury issues. Specifics? We just re-signed Quintin Demps yesterday so this would seem to take Safety off our list of needs. You might look for some OT depth here.
4b. Miller, I question his height at OG and ability to get low for leverage. Shorter players, and that's almost everyone when your 6'07", will be able to get under him and stand him up. I'd look at Senio Kelemete or Lucas Nix for a 4th round OG.
5. Franklin, I really like this pick as well, he's good enough for our depth issues at ILB and would hopefully start over Sharpton.
6. Johnson, I like the player and position. #3 RB and potential #1 FB.
7. White, I'm not familiar with him but it's the 7th round, maybe he makes the practice squad.

Overall very good mock, I'd have no problems with our draft if it fell this way with the exception of the 4th round. It definitely fills some needs.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Very nice mock!
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
1. Kendall Reyes, DE, Connecticut, 6’4, 299, 4.79

2. Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State, 6’3, 260, 4.62

3. Juron Criner, WR, Arizona, 6’3, 224, 4.6

4. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State, 6’0, 203, 4.58

4. Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado, 6’7, 321, 321, 5.27

5, Jerry Franklin, ILB/OLB, Arkansas, 6’1, 241, 4.72

6. Cody Johnson, FB, Texas, 5’11, 250, 4.7

7. Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan, 6’0, 208, 4.69
I appreciate the effort that went into this, it shows that you really took time on it. However, I would not be in love with this draft. I would not be looking for a bridge or anything, but it is not the direction I would like to go.

1) I dont want another 3-4 DE this early. Watt is good. Smith is good. Do we need depth? Sure, but we have holes to fill. Also, I think this is a bit early for him, but everyone ranks players differently. And he wont be there in the 2nd, so if you want him you have to take him here.

2) I really like the pick, nice job.

3) Again, really nice pick. Can be a game breaker.

4) Martin is a steal here, and we could use a FS to groom. Nice pick.

4) Miller is interesting. He has the size of a RT, but does not quite have the mobility for it and thus gets pushed inside. I think it may be a bit early for him (I would say yes in the 5th), but the position is a good one.

5) Meh. Franklin disappointed me this year. He seems like a tackle compiler instead of a difference maker. The position is a need, and I would like to see it addressed earlier.

6) Hell no! You dont draft FBs in today's NFL. Plus, I dont see CJ as the dominating blocking/short yardage back everyone predicts off of his size. He runs too soft for me.

7) Nice pick. Productive receiver with good production, I would be giddy if White fell this far.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with this ... good calls.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #6
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

love the reyes pick. i agree with the others that his probably not what we need, at least this early but his the BPA and i have been tracking this guy for ages

Not a massive fan of criner and martin.
martin because i don't think we need safety help and i don't think he offers a lot more then what we already got.
Criner i just don't see that x-factor or that something that makes me think his got something different. i'd prefer toon or mcnutt. I don't hate this pick, i don't love it but its not bad.

like the franklin pick, has been catching my eye a little for a while but never seemed to mock him.

overall nice work, something different which is great to see
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012   #7
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I appreciate the effort that went into this, it shows that you really took time on it. However, I would not be in love with this draft. I would not be looking for a bridge or anything, but it is not the direction I would like to go.

1) I dont want another 3-4 DE this early. Watt is good. Smith is good. Do we need depth? Sure, but we have holes to fill. Also, I think this is a bit early for him, but everyone ranks players differently. And he wont be there in the 2nd, so if you want him you have to take him here.

2) I really like the pick, nice job.

3) Again, really nice pick. Can be a game breaker.

4) Martin is a steal here, and we could use a FS to groom. Nice pick.

4) Miller is interesting. He has the size of a RT, but does not quite have the mobility for it and thus gets pushed inside. I think it may be a bit early for him (I would say yes in the 5th), but the position is a good one.

5) Meh. Franklin disappointed me this year. He seems like a tackle compiler instead of a difference maker. The position is a need, and I would like to see it addressed earlier.

6) Hell no! You dont draft FBs in today's NFL. Plus, I dont see CJ as the dominating blocking/short yardage back everyone predicts off of his size. He runs too soft for me.

7) Nice pick. Productive receiver with good production, I would be giddy if White fell this far.
Thanks for the feedback!

1. I think Smith may be a cap casualty next year in order to resign Barwin, Schaub, and Brown. Reyes could slide into immediate depth and then when Smith is cut slides into a starting role.

2. Thanks!

3. He could be really great for the team, agreed!

4. Players drop all the time. Martin could be that guy here. If he is able to pick up the position at Manning level, maybe Manning can be cut in a couple of years and money can be used elsewhere.

4. I like Miller. As a guard, he has great mobility and wont get pushed around by the bigger DTs/NTs. Plus having a large OG next to Myers means protection can be slid to take advantage of his size.

5. I am probably in the minority, but I don't see the ILB as a huge need. Dobbins, Sharper, and Alexander can play ILB. I like Sharper and think he can be a good compliment to Cush. Remember, many times Meco came off the field anyway so that 2 OLBs, Cush, and an extra DB could be on the field. If Wade is going to play that style, the ILB doesn't seem like a position that needs a high pick, just a solid player like Franklin.

6. Gotta disagree here. In the past 5 drafts, 20 FBs have been drafted. 6 fullbacks were drafted in 2011, 2 in 2010, 2 in 2009, 4 in 2008, and 6 in 2007. I saw a lot of UT football and whenever Mack needed 1 or 2 yards on 3rd or 4th CJ came in and got it down. When CJ blocked for quality backs last year, UT's rush attack was formidable. A 6th rounder for a guy who can block, open holes, do a little short yardage, and potentially catch a pass or two in the flat seems reasonable.

7. I could see him falling. If he does, I'd grab him here.

Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2012   #8
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
JMO.

1. Reyes, I like this pick and have been giving him heavy consideration in my latest mocks as a replacement of Smith in 2013, Smith is looking alot like a cap casualty after next season. I really like his size and speed combo.
2. McClellin, I really like this pick as well, but he's been moving up boards fast lately and might not be around in the late 2nd. Great pick if available.
3. Criner, I really like this guy as well. Good pick.
4a. Martin, I like this pick but question him falling this late, he'd add some very good depth to the Safety corp. I haven't heard of injury issues. Specifics? We just re-signed Quintin Demps yesterday so this would seem to take Safety off our list of needs. You might look for some OT depth here.
4b. Miller, I question his height at OG and ability to get low for leverage. Shorter players, and that's almost everyone when your 6'07", will be able to get under him and stand him up. I'd look at Senio Kelemete or Lucas Nix for a 4th round OG.
5. Franklin, I really like this pick as well, he's good enough for our depth issues at ILB and would hopefully start over Sharpton.
6. Johnson, I like the player and position. #3 RB and potential #1 FB.
7. White, I'm not familiar with him but it's the 7th round, maybe he makes the practice squad.

Overall very good mock, I'd have no problems with our draft if it fell this way with the exception of the 4th round. It definitely fills some needs.
Thanks!

Martin's problem is a knee issue. He has been unable to work out this offseason. If selected, I could see Htown IR him and give him the whole year to completely heal and get completely healthy.

Old 04-08-2012   #9
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Very nice mock!
Much appreciated thanks!!!

Old 04-08-2012   #10
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
love the reyes pick. i agree with the others that his probably not what we need, at least this early but his the BPA and i have been tracking this guy for ages

Not a massive fan of criner and martin.
martin because i don't think we need safety help and i don't think he offers a lot more then what we already got.
Criner i just don't see that x-factor or that something that makes me think his got something different. i'd prefer toon or mcnutt. I don't hate this pick, i don't love it but its not bad.

like the franklin pick, has been catching my eye a little for a while but never seemed to mock him.

overall nice work, something different which is great to see
1. I get why some may not like Reyes. I see him as BPA and think the Texans need to go this route. Teams like the Giants and Steelers always go BPA. When older players are ready to retire they have younger ones ready to take over. I think SMith gets cut in a year and when he does Reyes will be more than ready to go AND will have a year of NFL coaching.

2. Martin is injured and may get IRed. BUT, he is a junior Manning in the making. Give him a couple of years to study and learn under Manning and he may turn into a very good player.

3. I like Criner. He is a very good #2 receiver. He was able to get separation at the senior bowl and I think he can do that in the pros too. Isn't the #1 receiver everyone wants, but is better than every WR on the team not named Andre Johnson.

Old 04-09-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

1. I think Smith may be a cap casualty next year in order to resign Barwin, Schaub, and Brown. Reyes could slide into immediate depth and then when Smith is cut slides into a starting role.
Smith reportedly restructured his deal last year to help the Texans free up space to sign JJo and Manning. He likely has at least 1 million gtd next year due to that, plus a 2.5 million signing bonus cap hit. He's scheduled to make 6 million though, so his total caphit should be around 9.5 million next year. That's too much for him, but I'm not sure we need to replace him now. He will definitely be on the team this year, so why not replace a guy like Cody who can be easily upgraded with a guy like Worthy? I really like this idea floating around of getting a NT in the 1st or 2nd and moving Mitchell to 3-4 DE for depth. See how Mitchell does this year at that position and then evaluate the DE spot in the next draft.
Old 04-09-2012   #12
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Smith reportedly restructured his deal last year to help the Texans free up space to sign JJo and Manning. He likely has at least 1 million gtd next year due to that, plus a 2.5 million signing bonus cap hit. He's scheduled to make 6 million though, so his total caphit should be around 9.5 million next year. That's too much for him, but I'm not sure we need to replace him now. He will definitely be on the team this year, so why not replace a guy like Cody who can be easily upgraded with a guy like Worthy? I really like this idea floating around of getting a NT in the 1st or 2nd and moving Mitchell to 3-4 DE for depth. See how Mitchell does this year at that position and then evaluate the DE spot in the next draft.
My problem with Worthy is that he seems inconsistent. One series he will be all over the backfield, the next he will completely disappear. I haven't seen a ton of tape, but one thing that worries me he seemed to give up easily. He makes an initial move to get into the backfield. If he gets there, success. If not, he pretty much shuts it down and tries again the next play.

That's not the way this Texans D plays. This Texans D plays relentlessly until the whistle rather than giving up on plays. We saw many sacks last year from Watt, Reed, Barwin, and Cush that didn't come from the first move, but the fourth or fifth. Worthy's motor runs hot and cold. Worthy is talented, but in the first round give me the guy with the nonstop motor, ala Reyes.

Old 04-09-2012   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Like Reyes as a prospect, but DE is deep this year. I would prefer hitting OLB here ,or a WR if Wright falls, and getting a DL later. Wouldn't hate this pick though because Reyes is a beast.

2. McClellin is a stud. Would love to add him. He won't be here in the 2nd though. Adding both Reyes and McClellin would be an awesome start to the draft but it just doesn't seem feasible. They are both rising prospects and will be gone by the early 2nd round.

3. I like Criner, he could be the #2 WR we're looking for. He fits the size mold that Kubiak seems to have for WR's and he had a good career + senior bowl. Solid pick.

4a. Don't see the need for Safety in this draft. We're pretty deep there. No studs, but a group of solid players.

4b. Not a big fan of Miller. Was overrated before being exposed at the senior bowl. Doesn't seem to fit into our system. Not athletic enough to play OT and too big to play OG.

5. Like the Franklin pick. I'm in the camp that believe Sharpton will be a serviceable starter and we just need to add depth behind him and Cushing.

6. Not a fan of the Johnson pick. Don't see the need for him honestly. Kubiak seems to be going away from true FB types and going after H-Backs. Would love to grab Drake Dunsmore in the 4th or Evan Rodriguez in the 5th to fill that need.

7. Can't hate the White pick. I was high on him during the season, but his stock has plummeted because of bad workouts. I think he's worth a look at some point. Reminds me of Walter a bit. Not a downfield threat, but if you need to move the chains you instinctively try to find this guy.

Not a bad mock. I would be ecstatic to see it fold out this way (mostly).

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
6. Not a fan of the Johnson pick. Don't see the need for him honestly. Kubiak seems to be going away from true FB types and going after H-Backs.
Since when?

We had Vonta...We retained him when the Giants signed him to an offer sheet...

Then last year we went out and got Vickers who's NFL track record is that of a true FB...

I was fine with Casey starting at FB last year because we had Joel as the second TE.

I would not draft another TE. I would let Casey be the #2 and I'd let Grahm be #3. That leaves the FB slot open, which I think should be filled with a lawrence Vickers or Vonta Leach type of player.

Casey could still line up as a FB at times, but that extra guy there would help ease the burden on him especially since I want him to be the #2 TE.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
That leaves the FB slot open, which I think should be filled with a lawrence Vickers or Vonta Leach type of player.
I agree that the Texans need to bring in a FB, be it the draft, a low cost vet, or an undrafted free agent. And that's regardless of whether Casey remains at FB or moves to TE on a more permanent basis. There will be times that the Texans will need to blow open a hole, and they need a FB that can make that happen.
Old 04-09-2012   #16
Yaky
Rookie

Rep Power: 1001 Yaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respectedYaky is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG...feature=relmfu

Joe Martinek RB/FB Rutgers 5'11" 224 lbs

Has great hands, great catcher in the backfield, good blocker, very good at picking up the blitz, also has great speed. He ran a 4.40 at his Pro day, faster than Sanu. He also has great agility (6.68 3-cone at his Pro day) and makes tacklers miss all the time.

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/rut...tgers-pro-day/

The surprise of Rutgers Pro Day? Perhaps it was the blazing 40-yard dash turned in by Joe Martinek, a 5-11, 224-pound running back/fullback who crossed the line in 4.4 seconds on Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m happy that I finally got the number out there,” said Martinek, who also posted solid numbers in the bench press (26 reps), the vertical jump (32.5”), the broad jump (9’8”), the 20-yard shuttle (4.09), the 3-cone drill (6.68) and the 60-yard shuttle (11.34). “A lot of people had some crazy numbers out there, my estimated times, but finally I got a good (40) number out there.”
Yaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #17
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
1. Like Reyes as a prospect, but DE is deep this year. I would prefer hitting OLB here ,or a WR if Wright falls, and getting a DL later. Wouldn't hate this pick though because Reyes is a beast.

2. McClellin is a stud. Would love to add him. He won't be here in the 2nd though. Adding both Reyes and McClellin would be an awesome start to the draft but it just doesn't seem feasible. They are both rising prospects and will be gone by the early 2nd round.

3. I like Criner, he could be the #2 WR we're looking for. He fits the size mold that Kubiak seems to have for WR's and he had a good career + senior bowl. Solid pick.

4a. Don't see the need for Safety in this draft. We're pretty deep there. No studs, but a group of solid players.

4b. Not a big fan of Miller. Was overrated before being exposed at the senior bowl. Doesn't seem to fit into our system. Not athletic enough to play OT and too big to play OG.

5. Like the Franklin pick. I'm in the camp that believe Sharpton will be a serviceable starter and we just need to add depth behind him and Cushing.

6. Not a fan of the Johnson pick. Don't see the need for him honestly. Kubiak seems to be going away from true FB types and going after H-Backs. Would love to grab Drake Dunsmore in the 4th or Evan Rodriguez in the 5th to fill that need.

7. Can't hate the White pick. I was high on him during the season, but his stock has plummeted because of bad workouts. I think he's worth a look at some point. Reminds me of Walter a bit. Not a downfield threat, but if you need to move the chains you instinctively try to find this guy.

Not a bad mock. I would be ecstatic to see it fold out this way (mostly).
1. I think Wright and Hill are off the board when the Texans pick at 26. I think Reyes is not only BPA but could play for the team. He would come in and form a 3-4 DE rotation with Watt and Smith. Keeping the DEs fresher means at the end of the game they have enough energy to attack with the same ferocity they had in the first quarter.

2. No idea where McClellin goes. I am pretty sure he doesn't go first round. So, if he goes in the early second, which second round prospects would get pushed down?

3. Agreed.

4. The value of this pick is not necessarily this year, but later. He is a Safety in the mold of Manning. How great would it be to have Manning teaching the youngster how to play the game the right way? In a couple of years when Manning gets cut, he may be the new starting safety with little drop off.

4. Miller has athleticism. May or may not work out. I figured I'd take a chance here on a quality guy, who works hard, and has talent.

5. Agreed.

6. Big disagree here. As others have pointed out, Kubes has looked for HB. He had Leach and then signed him to keep him away from the Giants. Then when Leach left, Kubes gave the job to Casey and signed Vickers. Leach and Vickers are true FBs whereas Casey is a converted TE. None of them are HBs.

7. Yup. Hard to say who will be there. If he is there, why not?

Old 04-09-2012   #18
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaky View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l87EG...feature=relmfu

Joe Martinek RB/FB Rutgers 5'11" 224 lbs

Has great hands, great catcher in the backfield, good blocker, very good at picking up the blitz, also has great speed. He ran a 4.40 at his Pro day, faster than Sanu. He also has great agility (6.68 3-cone at his Pro day) and makes tacklers miss all the time.

http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/rut...tgers-pro-day/

The surprise of Rutgers Pro Day? Perhaps it was the blazing 40-yard dash turned in by Joe Martinek, a 5-11, 224-pound running back/fullback who crossed the line in 4.4 seconds on Wednesday afternoon.

“I’m happy that I finally got the number out there,” said Martinek, who also posted solid numbers in the bench press (26 reps), the vertical jump (32.5”), the broad jump (9’8”), the 20-yard shuttle (4.09), the 3-cone drill (6.68) and the 60-yard shuttle (11.34). “A lot of people had some crazy numbers out there, my estimated times, but finally I got a good (40) number out there.”
Martinek is 5'11 224. Tate is 5'11 220. Foster is 6'1 229.

You would want to have a Full back who is smaller and lighter than Foster blocking for him? Martinek is too small to be a FB in the NFL. He would be a better HB.

Old 04-09-2012   #19
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

@Doppleganger, the more I look at this mock the more I like it with the exception of Miller in the 4th, I think we could do better at OG. Nice Job...

Is it draft time yet...
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
7. Can't hate the White pick.
Thats racist dude!
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read