Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-07-2012   #21
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Badboy's 2012 final mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
thanks, man. Yes we do seem to differ quite a bit on Martin but that's alright it would be a boring world if everyone agreed all the time

I see Mike as an undersized, quick as snot, run defender who's pesky style & hand to hand combat like wrestling skills serve him well. First he has a thick trunk, low built & close to ground build which helps him out leverage & get under blockers pads, thus winning most "in the phone booth" battles. Second, 64 tackles from interior linemen means he is pretty dang active in run support. 6 tackles for loss indicates he does get some penetration along with his 3.5 sacks Senior year, 10 sacks for his career @ Michigan. Third is his work ethic & non-stop motor which we see typifies a Wade Phillip defense.

In summary to find better & more immediate interior help it would require Texans to spend a higher pick. Which I have no problem with. But for the money & value as a third round pick ready to rotate inside as a rookie in the NFL I think he is a bargain here.
Excellent write-up.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Martin and Van Bergen are both very underrated because of how bad Michigan was during the majority of their careers. People are finally starting to see the light with Martin, but RVB is still getting no love. Someone will be very happy with him if they snag him in the 5th-6th round.
Every time I watch Michigan Vanburgan stood out more than Martin to me.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #23
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Van Bergen is no slouch, but Martin is still the superior player to me. Martin played NT last year and dealt with double teams every single play. It was his job to make sure other guys stood out. Still finished with 60+ tackles while playing the nose though.

Michigan changed to a 4-3 Under last year and RVB was playing the SDE (5' tech) which he is a perfect fit for. I think a 3-4 team will get a steal if they grab him late.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He should since he is a 5 tech DE, that is the point of having a solid inside presence (Martin) to tie up blockers.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather keep Mike Martin in 3rd and use the second for another position. Big drop off in qualit of WR from second to third rounds imo.
Old 04-07-2012   #26
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 7912 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Excellent draft. Would drop Streeter for another position as we are taking Broyles in the same round.

Let's not forget that Broyles was a heisman candidate before the injury this season and his other 3 years at OU were more than adequate. 4th round is decent value IMO. Stats below

games played - games started Receptions, yards, avg, tds
2008 13-8 46 687 14.9 6
2009 12-12 89 1,120 12.6 15
2010 14-14 131 1,622 12.4 14
2011 9-9 83 1,157 13.9 10
VTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Excellent draft. Would drop Streeter for another position as we are taking Broyles in the same round.

Let's not forget that Broyles was a heisman candidate before the injury this season and his other 3 years at OU were more than adequate. 4th round is decent value IMO. Stats below

2008 13-8 46 687 14.9 6
Players for two different spots. Broyles is perfect slot & Streeter is eventual AJ replacement. McNutt replaces JJ this season & is a safe solid #2. We have to rectify WR.
Old 04-07-2012   #28
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
thanks, man. Yes we do seem to differ quite a bit on Martin but that's alright it would be a boring world if everyone agreed all the time
We sure do lol...I think highlight reels and combine numbers are getting to beerlover & Co.!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #29
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I live in Big 10 country, and have watched Martin a couple of times a year the last 4 years. He is the last thing from a workout warrior.
Old 04-07-2012   #30
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I live in Big 10 country, and have watched Martin a couple of times a year the last 4 years. He is the last thing from a workout warrior.
Maybe I'm over thinking this, but are you implying he's lazy, or that he has more to offer as a player than just his numbers from the Combine?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Maybe I'm over thinking this, but are you implying he's lazy, or that he has more to offer as a player than just his numbers from the Combine?
As well as I know my mock partner, I think I can speak for 65 here. It was implied that Martin was a gym rat work out guy only. RMartin65 was saying the opposite is true. Martin is a solid base very strong guy who can hold his ground and his sacks indicate he can disrupt the QB. He is also a college wrestler which helps.
Old 04-08-2012   #32
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As well as I know my mock partner, I think I can speak for 65 here. It was implied that Martin was a gym rat work out guy only. RMartin65 was saying the opposite is true. Martin is a solid base very strong guy who can hold his ground and his sacks indicate he can disrupt the QB. He is also a college wrestler which helps.
Thanks badboy.

The term workout warrior implies a player does not bring the goods on the field, and instead impresses only in shorts. Martin, while boasting impressive combine numbers, has also proven on the field that he can play.
Old 04-11-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post

2008 13-8 46 687 14.9 6
Man, Mayock crunched Streeter in yesterday's comments on ESPN. Said he can run only straight ahead and no routes. Most of his yardage was long sideline catches over defenders. Then he said he had him in the fourth round. Snicker, me too.
Old 04-12-2012   #34
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I see Mike as an undersized, quick as snot, run defender who's pesky style & hand to hand combat like wrestling skills serve him well. First he has a thick trunk, low built & close to ground build which helps him out leverage & get under blockers pads, thus winning most "in the phone booth" battles. Second, 64 tackles from interior linemen means he is pretty dang active in run support. 6 tackles for loss indicates he does get some penetration along with his 3.5 sacks Senior year, 10 sacks for his career @ Michigan. Third is his work ethic & non-stop motor which we see typifies a Wade Phillip defense.

In summary to find better & more immediate interior help it would require Texans to spend a higher pick. Which I have no problem with. But for the money & value as a third round pick ready to rotate inside as a rookie in the NFL I think he is a bargain here.
I can respect that, though I would like to point out that 60+ tackles don't tell you WHERE those tackles were made. Total tackle numbers IMO are always skewed as making a tackle doesn't always imply a win for the defense. I could be wrong, I believe I looked at it a few months ago when Martin started his climb up the ranks around here, Michigan isn't a highly regarded defensive team, especially against the run. I'm going to have to check that later though, I'll see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Maybe that's too harsh but he IS completely maxed out and only at 3 bills. Personally, just me, IMO, etc. I think y'all have him overrated by a round or two. If he really was the complete package y'all have him pegged for, shouldn't he be going 2nd round at the latest?
Old 04-12-2012   #35
TimeKiller

Quote:
Man, Mayock crunched Streeter in yesterday's comments on ESPN. Said he can run only straight ahead and no routes. Most of his yardage was long sideline catches over defenders. Then he said he had him in the fourth round. Snicker, me too.
Has anybody's draft stock taken more of a hit than Streeter's?
Old 04-12-2012   #36
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Maybe that's too harsh but he IS completely maxed out and only at 3 bills. Personally, just me, IMO, etc. I think y'all have him overrated by a round or two. If he really was the complete package y'all have him pegged for, shouldn't he be going 2nd round at the latest?
I think you answered your own question- Michigan's D was not great, and he is maxed out size-wise at 305 lbs. And I dont think anybody is saying the guy will be a HOFer or All-Pro, just that we think he can be an above average NT for the Texans' 3-4.

Anything more than that is gravy.
Old 04-12-2012   #37
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mayock needs to put in more tapes to watch!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012   #38
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Streeter is not Desean Jackson with the lateral agility to match the straight line speed, but Streeter can and does run other routes well besides 9's.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read