Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-28-2012   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL Texans Mock Draft post FA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Hightower would be the 3rd OLB. He would come off the field unless Barwin or Reed need a breather. If they did then one of them would come off the field and he would slide out. Everyone keeps saying we need to draft an OLB for depth...well, here ya' go.

Hightower's measureables are actually pretty comparable to Lamarr Woodley's so I don't know why there's some sort of consensus that he can't rush the passer. Woodley is better in space, hence him being an elite pass rusher at this level. A lot of scouts said Hightower did a better job of stand up rushing in drills at the combine than Courtney Upshaw.
I'm would like to offer you a position as my personal spokesperson

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #42
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have 0 issue with drafting Hightower...It'd really be a great pick IMO.

You get your second ILB and/OLB depth in one pick. AND if Cushing had to miss any time you'd still have a high quality starter...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #43
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I would have 0 issue with drafting Hightower...It'd really be a great pick IMO.

You get your second ILB and/OLB depth in one pick. AND if Cushing had to miss any time you'd still have a high quality starter...
That's all BL (and I guess now me lol) is saying.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #44
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Quick is the only disagreement I have as I prefer others but would not scream if he was selection. As always, excellent work. Most don't realize Hightower can play both LBs and should be a starter replacing Ryans day 1.
Here is his combine workout, tell me what you think?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ut-Brian-Quick

Here is his Pro-Day comments, not much information about specific measurements, but attitude fits accordingly, sign-able & cheap "“At the end of the day I want to stay in the NFL,” Quick said. “Getting picked is just the first step. I don’t care about the money.” Going to assume Texans were one of 26 teams in attendance.

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/...ro-day-workout

Save the best for last, game film. He reminds me a little of Marcues Colston, little known small school prospect out of Hofstra, 6045 224 4.5 forty. Know he slipped all the way to the 7th but turned out to be one of the biggest draft day steals ever. Saints retain him with a five year 40 million dollar deal with 19 millionn in guarantees. The NFL has come a long ways since 2006 & Quick will quickly be long gone before you think some team, like the Texans can steal him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5X0_c1DZo

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-29-2012   #45
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

BL - I think Hightower is going to be a really good player but I kinda questioned the Texans drafting him. Now that things have settled a bit... I am totally on board with him at #26.

Barwin - Hightower - Cushing - Reed

That is a sick sick LB group. I see him as a starting ILB next to Cushing and being the 3rd OLB in the rotation. I love the way he rushes inside. He reminds me of the players we've got on defense: He's a hard-worker and when everybody is getting tired he picks the intensity up and pushes through it. That's Watt and Cushing in a nutshell.

He can start at ILB; he can rest in dime packages; he can rotate with Barwin/Reed/Cushing when they get tired or knicked up; we can keep everyone fresh and have LB's going 100%.... one hundred percent of the time.

From a value standpoint, I think it's great. Perfect spot to select him if he's there AND he kills two birds with one stone. Suddenly our LB depth looks good with one selection. Sharpton the backup MLB and Braman the 4th OLB.

Nothing earth shattering but just a nice little snippet about Hightower. I like the 40 seconds or so starting at 2:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7No36...eature=related

Addition: If anybody has to replace Demeco... why not another smart leader from Alabama?!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Here is his combine workout, tell me what you think?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combin...ut-Brian-Quick

Here is his Pro-Day comments, not much information about specific measurements, but attitude fits accordingly, sign-able & cheap "“At the end of the day I want to stay in the NFL,” Quick said. “Getting picked is just the first step. I don’t care about the money.” Going to assume Texans were one of 26 teams in attendance.

http://www.theappalachianonline.com/...ro-day-workout

Save the best for last, game film. He reminds me a little of Marcues Colston, little known small school prospect out of Hofstra, 6045 224 4.5 forty. Know he slipped all the way to the 7th but turned out to be one of the biggest draft day steals ever. Saints retain him with a five year 40 million dollar deal with 19 millionn in guarantees. The NFL has come a long ways since 2006 & Quick will quickly be long gone before you think some team, like the Texans can steal him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh5X0_c1DZo

Enjoyed the game film and appreciate his balance especially. He does have the 360 spin move down. I compare him to Hill in that he has potential but I just rate others higher than both those guys because I have spent time watching them.

You are correct in your evaluation on Hightower. He will primarily be the ILB BUT could step over to OLB. He may not do well in coverage but we have had that problem anyway. Solid pick #26.
Old 03-29-2012   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Alabama Pro Day is live on ESPNU right now. Don't know why all these guys have to workout shirtless? But having said that, Hightower is an impressive physical specimen.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-29-2012   #48
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Alabama Pro Day is live on ESPNU right now. Don't know why all these guys have to workout shirtless? But having said that, Hightower is an impressive physical specimen.
You know you like it....
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #49
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Enjoyed the game film and appreciate his balance especially. He does have the 360 spin move down. I compare him to Hill in that he has potential but I just rate others higher than both those guys because I have spent time watching them.

You are correct in your evaluation on Hightower. He will primarily be the ILB BUT could step over to OLB. He may not do well in coverage but we have had that problem anyway. Solid pick #26.
The more I watch Quick the more I like him. I think he will be available at 99. I would not be upset if we drafted 2 WR. Dre is great but over 30 and has had some injuries. Walter and Jones are nothing special.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
The more I watch Quick the more I like him. I think he will be available at 99. I would not be upset if we drafted 2 WR. Dre is great but over 30 and has had some injuries. Walter and Jones are nothing special.
Broyle's uncertainty will bring him in 4th and I'd rather go that direction. I am thinking we have to get our AJ replacement in another draft.
Old 03-29-2012   #51
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Broyle's uncertainty will bring him in 4th and I'd rather go that direction. I am thinking we have to get our AJ replacement in another draft.
A good option, especially when the Texans propensity for putting rookies on IR is taken into account.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I wouldn't make that wager if I were you -

Quote:
BLOGS /PRO DAYS
PRO DAYS
Quick backs up hype at Appalachian St. pro day

By Gil Brandt |
Published: March 27th, 2012 | Tags: 2012 pro days, Appalachian State, Brian Quick, DeAndre Presley

Appalachian State WR Brian Quick (6-foot-3 3/8, 215 pounds) has generated quite a buzz in the pre-draft process, and he kept his momentum going with a solid showing at the school’s pro day on March 19. Twenty six teams, the most ever to attend an Appalachian State pro day according to the school, showed up to watch Quick and his teammates.

Quick ran a 4.59-second 40-yard dash into the wind and a 4.53 40 with the wind at his back. But the most important mark was his 1.47-second 10-yard split, which shows he has great initial burst. His best football could be ahead of him, as he played only one year in high school but was a great basketball player.

He also showed in position drills that he is just as fast on the field as he is on paper.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-01-2012   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
BL - I think Hightower is going to be a really good player but I kinda questioned the Texans drafting him. Now that things have settled a bit... I am totally on board with him at #26.

Barwin - Hightower - Cushing - Reed

That is a sick sick LB group. I see him as a starting ILB next to Cushing and being the 3rd OLB in the rotation. I love the way he rushes inside. He reminds me of the players we've got on defense: He's a hard-worker and when everybody is getting tired he picks the intensity up and pushes through it. That's Watt and Cushing in a nutshell.

He can start at ILB; he can rest in dime packages; he can rotate with Barwin/Reed/Cushing when they get tired or knicked up; we can keep everyone fresh and have LB's going 100%.... one hundred percent of the time.

From a value standpoint, I think it's great. Perfect spot to select him if he's there AND he kills two birds with one stone. Suddenly our LB depth looks good with one selection. Sharpton the backup MLB and Braman the 4th OLB.

Nothing earth shattering but just a nice little snippet about Hightower. I like the 40 seconds or so starting at 2:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7No36...eature=related

Addition: If anybody has to replace Demeco... why not another smart leader from Alabama?!
With Jason Allen no longer on Texan roster #30 is available which just so happens to be Hightower's number

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-01-2012   #54
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With Jason Allen no longer on Texan roster #30 is available which just so happens to be Hightower's number
LBs are restricted to numbers in the 50's and 90's.
Old 04-01-2012   #55
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow he can make catches with his eyes closed! Now thats impressive. Still don't see us drafting him. Didn't McNair say we were looking for speed at WR? 4.56 isn't exactly lighting it up.
mussop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wow he can make catches with his eyes closed! Now thats impressive. Still don't see us drafting him. Didn't McNair say we were looking for speed at WR? 4.56 isn't exactly lighting it up.
I thought about this when I uploaded pic but left it alone because it displays excellent concentration & hand position, must be natural to catch the ball with eyes closed don't you agree?

Question on speed, well if he ran a sub 4.5 he might just be taken in 1st instead? Generally a big, strong WR like Quick build up speed, think his top end is pretty good, 23/24mph good. His basketball background & vertical make him a tough match-up against smaller CB's, creates enough separation & plus red-zone target!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-02-2012   #57
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought about this when I uploaded pic but left it alone because it displays excellent concentration & hand position, must be natural to catch the ball with eyes closed don't you agree?

Question on speed, well if he ran a sub 4.5 he might just be taken in 1st instead? Generally a big, strong WR like Quick build up speed, think his top end is pretty good, 23/24mph good. His basketball background & vertical make him a tough match-up against smaller CB's, creates enough separation & plus red-zone target!
Not in our offense... We barely use Andre in the RZ, what makes you think a rookie 6'3 WR is going to get any attention?
Old 04-02-2012   #58
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Not in our offense... We barely use Andre in the RZ, what makes you think a rookie 6'3 WR is going to get any attention?
Well Texans need a healthy Schaub for starters. Don't think they wanted to put too much on Yates plate. Hard to measure, but from 20 yards in another big target spreads out the D & creates mismatches.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-02-2012   #59
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well Texans need a healthy Schaub for starters. Don't think they wanted to put too much on Yates plate. Hard to measure, but from 20 yards in another big target spreads out the D & creates mismatches.
When was the last time you saw the Texans offense run a fade route in the end zone? I can't recall one, but that's typically the play you think of when looking for a big WR in the red zone. Guys like CJ and Fitz get those plays a lot. AJ almost never does, which is probably why he has so few TDs for a WR of his caliber. Kubiak likes to run the ball in the red zone, or go to TEs for some reason.

I'm not saying a big WR won't help the team, but calling him a red zone target doesn't fit the offense. Kubiak probably wants another big blocking WR who's a mediocre pass catcher and route runner, like JJ or Walter.
Old 04-02-2012   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
When was the last time you saw the Texans offense run a fade route in the end zone? I can't recall one, but that's typically the play you think of when looking for a big WR in the red zone. Guys like CJ and Fitz get those plays a lot. AJ almost never does, which is probably why he has so few TDs for a WR of his caliber. Kubiak likes to run the ball in the red zone, or go to TEs for some reason.

I'm not saying a big WR won't help the team, but calling him a red zone target doesn't fit the offense. Kubiak probably wants another big blocking WR who's a mediocre pass catcher and route runner, like JJ or Walter.
Interesting point, most are short crossing routes. Is this because Schaub can't throw the fade pass or Kubiak doesn't incorporate into his offense?

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read