Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-28-2012   #41
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bl Top 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No. I think Wade is happy with Cody and does not want to use a first when he could get Ta'Amu or Chapman or Martin later rounds. I have Poe #26 on my mock.
yeah i agree.

i probably would do it or at least have a very hard look but NT for Wade is like RB for Kubiack.

he can work with anyone as long as they have a couple of certain skills and can usually be had later in the draft
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Konz resolves two spots, center & OG but if Myers re-signs do we need to spend a first or look later rounds? Poe allows Mitchell to move to DE but is that necessary if Mario returns? If Wade is cool with Cody starting again should we spend a first on Poe or look at someone in later rounds?

Left guard is issue unless Wade Smith was hiding injury but who of the best falls to us? Do we hope Zeitler is available in 2nd or maybe my guy Lonnie Edwards in 3rd?

Floyd, Blackmon and Wright should be gone unless Wright runs slow at pro day. Do we reach in first for one of the second level guys? Or do we take whatever we can get in a trade down? Other than QB Tannehill, who else could be there at #26 that another team would trade up to get?

This is why my mock keeps changing so much and other too I guess.
Old 02-28-2012   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BL how about throwing in 2-3 that could sneak into first?
Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
Kirk Cousins, Michigan State
Lamar Miller**, RB, Miami
Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
Dwayne Allen*, TE, Clemson
Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford
Orson Charles*, TE, Georgia
Cordy Glenn, G, Georgia
Kelechi Osemele, OT/G, Iowa State
Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #44
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Left guard is issue unless Wade Smith was hiding injury but who of the best falls to us? Do we hope Zeitler is available in 2nd or maybe my guy Lonnie Edwards in 3rd?

IF we loose Meyers I'm hoping David DeCastro falls enough for us to trade up. Breisal can play center.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
IF we loose Meyers I'm hoping David DeCastro falls enough for us to trade up. Breisal can play center.
Dream scenario,

If Briesel re-signs with the Texans.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #46
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Wanted to update my current top 32 & compare it to Todd McShay's most recent. Obviously since it's mine I like it better but what's important is how my fellow mock-sters like it?

1. Andrew Luck QB, Stanford 1
Franchise QB with pedigree to follow in Payton Manning footsteps.
2. Robert Griffin III QB, Baylor 2
Intriguing athlete who could actually perform better than last years #1 pick & QB Cam Newton.
3. Matt Kalil OT, Southern Cal 3
Have to admit this Kalil kid is the real deal, the only true plug him in franchise LT in 2012 draft.
4. Trent Richardson RB, Alabama 5
Complete package, skill-set to perform @ an ultra high level as a rookie in the NFL. Best RB prospect since "All Day" Peterson.
5. Morris Claiborne CB, LSU 4
Most complete CB in this draft, sets himself apart from competition with tantalizing length, technique & ball hawk ability.
6. Justin Blackmon WR, Oklahoma State 6
Yes he has dropped, not overly quick or fast but fluid enough to create separation, has great hands & instincts to create big plays.
7. Michael Brockers DT/DE, LSU 14
Big body inside. Scheme diverse could play DE in a 3-4 or 4-3 DT. Upside with long NFL career ahead of him.
8. Melvin Ingram OLB, South Carolina 11
Best pass rusher in this draft. Plus athlete with extraordinary instincts for the ball. Takeaway machine.
9. David DeCastro OG, Stanford 12
Anybody not having him in their top 10 is crazy, dude is going to be a stud inside.
10. Luke Kuechly LB, Boston College 7
Doesn't mean he'll actually go this high but is an impact player for a team needing to shore up inside run defense along with plus coverage skills.
11. Riley Reiff OT, Iowa 15
Solid but not spectacular athlete who could play Left or Right Tackle even kick inside to LG which adds some value because of versatility.
12. Michael Floyd WR, Notre Dame 18
Has risen up draft boards because he answered character concerns, workouts have been phenomenal to add with game tape.
13 Fletcher Cox DT/DE, Mississippi State 16
Fluid, with some explosive moves, will need to add strength but could develop into a premier DL lineman.
14. Nick Perry DE, Southern Cal N/A
Maybe the top 4-3 DE in this draft? Has both size & power with excellent athletic instincts to get after QB's.
15. Ryan Tannehill QB, Texas T&M 8
Pro-Day went well, according to Maycock had a "franchise type workout" with only 19 games experience in College teams must factor in adjustment period.
16. Jonathan Martin OT, Stanford 27
Excellent technician, with good size. Needs to get stronger but a fine OT prospect.
17. Kendall Wright WR, Baylor 25
Productive, quicker than fast can create separation. NFL ready, with fully developed route tree. Excellent Pro-Day running sub 4.5 forty.
18. Quentin Coples DE, North Carolina 9
Not explosive as projected. Best fit is 3-4 DE. Reminds me of less explosive Mario Williams not Julius Peppers. McShay must feel he is more like Peppers.
19. Devon Still DT, Penn State N/A
Big strong inside DT. Can dominate trenches, would trust him over Poe, not even in McShay top 32.
20. Cordy Glenn OG/OT, Georgia 19
Can play inside or out. Very good feet, movement for a big man, could play either tackle position or OG.
21. Dont’a Hightower ILB, Alabama 20
In Texans neighborhood, fills #1 need & has the potential to be a star.
22. Dontari Poe NT/NG, Memphis 10
Big man who can move but really, is that all it takes? must show me more & some team will roll the dice. Like many other's I feel McShay is trying to support his mock draft rating untested raw talent Poe this high.
23. Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB, Alabama 17
Must find a position. Fits Steeler mold.
24. Mark Barron S, Alabama 13
I'm not his biggest fan but in a weak safety class he stands heads & heels over his competition.
25. Janoris Jenkins CB, North Alabama 21
Character issues aside, kid can cover & will compete on the next level, just needs to be in a structured environment.
26. Andre Branch DE Clemson 22
Explosive, 4-3 DE w/desirable length & ability to bend corners.
27. Peter Konz OC Wisconsin N/A
High ankle strain late in season not only sidelined him but has hurt his draft stock. Phooey on that, he can play & easily best center in this draft, usually one taken end of first round.
28. Whitney Mercilus DE/OLB Illinois 23
Just think someone is going to fall in love with his length & pass rushing moves in a draft short in area for a team who needs some production.
29. Doug Martin RB Boise State N/A
Closest thing to MJD Drew, all around special player coming out of the backfield.
30. Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 31
Having followed in some pretty big footsteps I'll cut him so slack for his lackluster QB play & option instead of west coast offensive system. There is a benefit to this however in the fact he learned how to block.
31. Dre Kirkpatrick FS/CB Alabama 26
Give him slight edge over Gilmore in a weak cornerback class. Physical style, better in run support & finishes plays. Both not explosive.
32. Kendall Reyes DT/DE, Connecticut N/A
Reason why his stock has rose is many 3-4 teams think he can switch positions in NFL to DE. Can set the edge & flashes some pass rush ability.

BL Approved:

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 03-31-2012 at 01:04 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #47
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Overall pretty good list. Is this based on NFL potential or actual productivity? A couple guys that I'd have a little lower on the list. Michael Brockers I think is a reach at #7, Ryan Tannehill will go mid 1st round but it will be a reach because of the value put on the QB position, Kendall Wright is my pick to fall in the draft to the 2nd round, Dontari Poe will also go 1st round but it's based on potential and it's risky, Janoris Jenkins I'm not saying he's a reach but he's risky no matter what round he goes in.

Guys I'd move a little higher on the list. Fletcher Cox, Cordy Glenn, and I'd add Brandon Thompson and Jerel Worthy to the list.

Again overall very good list.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Happy April Fools Day,

I've seen Poe mocked to Carolina more than a couple times because why? elite size, movement & runs a fast forty, but show me the tape. He made some money @ the combine for sure, remember a lot of us took pause when thinking Texans had a shot. But this isn't football it's just a workout. Sure Brockers didn't run a fast forty (5.36 but improved to 5.15 @ his Pro-Day) however scouts don't really care about forty times for linemen they only care about how explosive they are out of the blocks, in the first 10 yards. Brockers is only a redshirt sophomore so naturally he does have development & potential ahead of him but already has the body 6-6, 316 lbs & 35" arms plus game film to warrant a Top 10 pick, at least in my book. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxk88nb4zhQ

Now on to game tape. Somebody want to tell me playing for Memphiss = playing for LSU, in the SEC? He is a fluid athlete w/LB experience before he grew too big & this happened recently, so yes he is still growing into his body looking a little awkward at times affecting his measureables. Brockers could also appeal to 4-3 teams who need a 3 tech. I would rate Still over him here but fact he is scheme diverse adds to his value. I've watched him dominate SEC linemen all year, he rarely get beaten even when double teamed (from Alabama). Has trunks for legs, creating powerful leverage he is able to move blockers off his path along with arm length (which hurts his bench numbers not accurately reflecting true strength). Uses LB instincts to flush out plays, flashing uncanny ability to diagnose screens and draw plays for a DT.

My own personal take. I'm sick of the offensive player getting all the hype & media spotlight. I'm more apt in my own rankings to grade the defensive prospect a little higher than most, because defense wins championships. LSU did not win the National Championship this year but they lost to a team who had an even better defense. Still it's OK to overdraft a QB or LT instead of someone inside the trenches doing the dirty work because every team needs them, well I could say same thing about great defensive linemen too. Yes, I have Brockers rated higher than most because of potential but this could apply to every NFL prospect who have yet to lace a shoe on Sundays. He is not maxed out, is a dominant inside player, has a nasty attitude & love for the game. Maybe he's not the next Richard Seymour but he has that type of potential & why I've graded him as high as I did.

Thanks for the feedback. It gives me the opportunity to address your concerns, ideas, then add my response. I find these tweet things actually quite funny but add little value to me, unless of course someone can resurrect Joel Buchsbaum, hand him a Cell then read what he Tweet's

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 04-01-2012   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I've seen Poe mocked to Carolina more than a couple times because why? elite size, movement & runs a fast forty, but show me the tape. He made some money @ the combine for sure, remember a lot of us took pause when thinking Texans had a shot. But this isn't football it's just a workout. Sure Brockers didn't run a fast forty (5.36 but improved to 5.15 @ his Pro-Day) however scouts don't really care about forty times for linemen they only care about how explosive they are out of the blocks, in the first 10 yards. Brockers is only a redshirt sophomore so naturally he does have development & potential ahead of him but already has the body 6-6, 316 lbs & 35" arms plus game film to warrant a Top 10 pick, at least in my book.
Neither Poe or Brockers will be drafted based upon what they've done at college. They'll both be drafted based upon their potential in the NFL. You're gambling either way. A case can be made for Brockers playing in the SEC. But their have been plenty of d-lineman out of the SEC that have onderachieved or were out right busts. And their aren't many DTs like Poe coming out of smaller-mid level schools any longer, because the high schools are so well scouted. There have been only 2 DTs from non-BCS schools drafted in the 1st round in the past 20 drafts.

The reward for the team drafting either Poe or Brockers could be great. Dominant defensive linemen can help win games. Ask teams like the Giants or Ravens. But that reward comes with risk. DTs have some of the highest bust potential of any position. I don't think there's any way to know from what they have/haven't accomplished in college whether Poe or Brockers will succeed. A team will have to draft them based on feel and belief in their own player development.
Old 04-01-2012   #50
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would being scheme diverse add value? Why would the packers care if a d lineman could also play in the 43 when they'll only have him playing in the 34?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Why would being scheme diverse add value? Why would the packers care if a d lineman could also play in the 43 when they'll only have him playing in the 34?
Green Bay might not care but another team using a 4-3 might like the Giants & visa versa. Scheme diverse means not limited to or married to just one thing

To expand a little, the 4-3 teams could see him as a plug & play prospect while the 3-4 teams could plug & play him but realize he could struggle intially while learning new position most likely as a strong side LDE.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 04-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read