Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-30-2012   #101
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips affirms Kareem Jackson as Texans’ No. 2 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Another CB that was drafted in the first round was Patrick Robinson, with the Saints ranked 30th in pass defense (one notch better than the Pats).
He's still a back-up. He only started when the Saints begin the game in nickel or when Porter was injured (or recovering),
According to Pro Football Focus, Patrick Robinson was among the top 10 CBs in lowest QB rating against.

Quote:
Lastly, we’re going to give you two tables that show what a quarterback’s rating looks like when they throw at a certain cornerback. Again, you have Revis at the top, with Gamble and Taylor making appearances in the Top 5, but I also get to mention Asante Samuel and the highly impressive Lardarius Webbfor the first time. Here are the lowest (and best) 10 ratings:

1 Darrelle Revis NYJ 45.6
2 Asante Samuel PHI 52.4
3 Chris Gamble CAR 53.3
4 Ike Taylor PIT 54.8
5 Lardarius Webb BLT 56.2
6 Richard Sherman SEA 57.3
7 Patrick Robinson NO 59.3
8 Brandon Carr KC 61.7
9 Carlos Rogers SF 61.9
10 Brent Grimes ATL 62.9
Kareem Jackson? Among the bottom 10 CBs in lowest QB rating against.

Quote:
1 Quentin Jammer SD 129.9
2 Captain Munnerlyn CAR 126.9
3 E.J. Biggers TB 119.2
4 Cedric Griffin MIN 114.1
5 Justin King SL 113.1
6 Kareem Jackson HST 110.9
7 Aqib Talib TB 109.8
8 Devin McCourty NE 106.2
9 Drayton Florence BUF 103.3
10 Aaron Ross NYG 102.8
QBs had over a 50 point higher QB rating throwing against Jackson versus Robinson. Despite Jackson's advantage of playing with the Texans pass rush.

Kareem Jackson is still the weak link of this defense. Will he improve and/or can Phillips continue to mask Jackson's weaknesses? The Texans will face the likes of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, and Peyton Manning this upcoming season. I guess we will find out soon enough.
Old 03-30-2012   #102
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
According to Pro Football Focus, Patrick Robinson was among the top 10 CBs in lowest QB rating against.

QBs had over a 50 point higher QB rating throwing against Jackson versus Robinson. Despite Jackson's advantage of playing with the Texans pass rush.

Kareem Jackson is still the weak link of this defense. Will he improve and/or can Phillips continue to mask Jackson's weaknesses? The Texans will face the likes of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, and Peyton Manning this upcoming season. I guess we will find out soon enough.
I'm not sure we can compare KJ against a nickel corner and gain any useful comparison. Last offseason I was pretty worried about KJ, 76 made a lot of posts defending him which gave me some comfort, although I wasn't completely sold. Then seeing him play last season made me realise that 76 had a point because the improvement was clear. I'll give KJ another 2 years I think, although I want him to improve again next year.

Also notice Ike Taylor on that stat sheet as one of the better CB's but I've seen him rated very poorly by some posters on here.

PFF offer a lot of very interesting stats etc but stats can't tell the whole story. The #1 receiver against us was often shut down last year, while I know that isn't down to KJ, it does affect his stats because QB's were forced to throw on him.

I saw KJ have a few bad games after MW got injured, but I thought the pass rush took a hit and recovered a little later on, and KJ looked better and better after that.

KJ may well be our weakest link, but he isn't necessarily an insurmountable problem, his play is acceptable and that gives us the opportunity to continue to attempt to improve him. Had we not been able to make the playoffs with his play I might have a different opinion.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #103
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If we get the KJ from the Ravens playoff game, then we're good to go.

THAT version of KJ was the best I have seen in his two years here. He was in position all game long, and never got beat. There was a circus catch that a WR made on him, but it was nothing more than a great pass and a great circus catch on a pretty good coverage play by KJ.

Maybe that was his big debut that allowed the coaches to say, "OK, I think we can build on that. He played well in a playoff game on the road. Let's go full time with Kareem and see what happens in 2012. It's time to see what we have."
Old 03-30-2012   #104
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If we get the KJ from the Ravens playoff game, then we're good to go.

THAT version of KJ was the best I have seen in his two years here. He was in position all game long, and never got beat. There was a circus catch that a WR made on him, but it was nothing more than a great pass and a great circus catch on a pretty good coverage play by KJ.

Maybe that was his big debut that allowed the coaches to say, "OK, I think we can build on that. He played well in a playoff game on the road. Let's go full time with Kareem and see what happens in 2012. It's time to see what we have."
I agree with that. KJ played really well in that game. Really, I like KJ against physical teams like that. I think where he struggles is against more pass oriented teams that stretch the field....Kinda like the teams that we will be playing more of this year...

Last edited by Rey; 03-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #105
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The title of this thread is kinda scary?

KJ as a full time CB2, I dont know if I agree with that. Either Carmicheal/Harris needs to step up and be able to split time with KJ. They also need to draft somebody to replace Allen for depth/competition purposes.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #106
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

KJ as a full time CB2, I dont know if I agree with that. Either Carmicheal/Harris needs to step up and be able to split time with KJ. They also need to draft somebody to replace Allen for depth/competition purposes.
Don't mind the concept of him splitting some of his time with one of those guys, but we do have all the numbers we need on the roster right now, Carmichael was on IR last year, and Harris hardly saw the field.

I see KJ and Allen had some different strengths/weaknesses but were on a similar level overall last year. As GP mentioned, KJ finished really strong, not only in the Ravens game but he really came good from around the time of the ATL game onwards.

I don't really see what the problem is, KJ is still some way off from being a long term #2 CB solution, but has shown signs that he can get there eventually, some of the best have had a mediocre first couple of years. Thats not to say KJ is going to be elite or anything, but that theres no way you could write him off from becoming a solid player.

Another point to consider, KJ's play hasn't cost us anything last season, we were able to cover his weaknesses and consistently win games with him playing. As long as he doesn't regress, its not going to be a problem for us to let him develop. We haven't lost a single starter on D from the second half of last season.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #107
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

I think it'd be pretty foolhardy to pay/draft another guy to be CB2. Maybe drafting another one in the mid late rounds is alright but we've had other players split time with guys on the way out and it has turned out alright. With the defense, I'm more concerned with the NT spot than CB2 because I think it is the weaker of the 2 positions.
Old 03-30-2012   #108
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Who here wouldn't trade Kareem Jackson for Aqib Talib?

From the same article:
Quote:
Numbers without context can be an awful thing and you can read a lot into what these say, but know that they’re by no means definitive on their own or combined.
They also listed the top ten in yards given up:
Quote:
1 Tramon Williams GB 108 61 1034
2 Devin McCourty NE 101 62 1004
3 Patrick Peterson ARZ 113 67 869
4 DeAngelo Hall WAS 94 63 858
5 Charles Tillman CHI 115 67 850
6 Eric Wright DET 120 75 842
7 Brandon Browner SEA 95 54 830
8 Cary Williams BLT 111 58 822
9 Aaron Ross NYG 84 57 811
10 Kyle Arrington NE 100 54 810
Look at that, two young corners made the list.

Bottom 10 completion percentage
Quote:
66 Captain Munnerlyn CAR 61 45 73.8
65 Jacob Lacey IND 68 50 73.5
64 Tracy Porter NO 73 52 71.2
63 Jerraud Powers IND 59 41 69.5
62 Orlando Scandrick DAL 62 43 69.4
61 Aaron Ross NYG 84 57 67.9
60 DeAngelo Hall WAS 94 63 67.0
59 Kyle Wilson NYJ 60 40 66.7
58 Cedric Griffin MIN 64 42 65.6
57 Quentin Jammer SD 66 43 65.2
A few more guys on this list who has played well at times, struggled at times. Some guys you know will get better, & most importantly, some guys who have had pretty long NFL careers, where even the worst guy is a very talented player.
Old 03-30-2012   #109
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think it'd be pretty foolhardy to pay/draft another guy to be CB2. Maybe drafting another one in the mid late rounds is alright but we've had other players split time with guys on the way out and it has turned out alright. With the defense, I'm more concerned with the NT spot than CB2 because I think it is the weaker of the 2 positions.
I dont disagree with you.

But a mid/late rd guy like Jamell Fleming would be great for competition.

I've got a very high opinion of Jenkins and Gilmore. If they were there and you had a choice between Jenkins/Gilmore or Hill/Randle which one would you take?

After thinking about it I would probably take the CB's. They would be BPA and would upgrade the talent at a weak spot on the team. IMHO

Rick/Gary will probably go WR and I certainly wouldn't disagree withe pick. But if Rick is truly a BPA guy (doubtful) then the CB's would be the pick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012   #110
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see coaches do better with corners we have. Too many needs elsewhere.
Old 03-31-2012   #111
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is alive and well. I don't know who pisses people off more, Dexman or Kareem Jackson.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012   #112
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Its so bad that Jacksons wife dont even trust Kareem to "cover" his kids at night. So how can we trust the guy !!!
Old 03-31-2012   #113
foo82
Veteran

Rep Power: 2648 foo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respectedfoo82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Its so bad that Jacksons wife dont even trust Kareem to "cover" his kids at night. So how can we trust the guy !!!
foo82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read