Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-27-2012   #1
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OLB and the Draft

Where do you think that we will draft an OLB? Out of all the positions this has become the most difficult for me to mock. Thoughts, opinions, insight...thanks.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OLB and the Draft

I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...

I think he'd be a good compliment to what we have...

I like a bunch of the OLB's though, but I think some of them will go earlier than expected and there really isn't one that I like at #26
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #3
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Irvin a lot. He has some skills that you just can't teach. The only thing is that he dropped out of high school due to his involvement in the street life per the national football post. That probably means that he dropped out to sell drugs. He did get his life turned around but a day after his pro day he got arrested for breaking a sign at a Jimmy John's Sandwich Shop. This just screams of idiot to me and is why I have a hard time seeing us drafting him.
Old 03-27-2012   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
Where do you think that we will draft an OLB? Out of all the positions this has become the most difficult for me to mock. Thoughts, opinions, insight...thanks.
If Wright is #26 then Ronnell Lewis #58.
Old 03-27-2012   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

#26.) Nick Perry, USC
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't nick perry more of a d lineman?
Old 03-27-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
#26.) Nick Perry, USC
Perry could probably work but not as strong as Curry.
Old 03-27-2012   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin are the starters at OLB, and don't think we'll address OLB depth until the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Nick Perry, but just don't see OLB as our biggest need.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin are the starters at OLB, and don't think we'll address OLB depth until the 3rd or 4th round. I really like Nick Perry, but just don't see OLB as our biggest need.
This is why Hightower would be a smart pick. Starting ILB then if something happens to either Brooks or Barwin he could move to OLB & Sharpton could take over inside. Not to mention multiple looks with different blitz packages especially inside as well outside. With the money paid to these players with cap constraints its a good idea to have the versatility to cover a multitude of positions, the more you can play the more valueable you are to your team.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think Texans have used a policy of selecting players who can play more than one position and Hightower can do that.
Old 03-27-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
This is why Hightower would be a smart pick. Starting ILB then if something happens to either Brooks or Barwin he could move to OLB & Sharpton could take over inside. Not to mention multiple looks with different blitz packages especially inside as well outside. With the money paid to these players with cap constraints its a good idea to have the versatility to cover a multitude of positions, the more you can play the more valueable you are to your team.
Completely agree here. Would not complain at all with a Hightower pick up I don't think. About to watch some clips. Brb.
Old 03-28-2012   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I actually like Hightower at ILB more than OLB but I have a problem with him on the Texans roster at both positions. First at OLB he'd be depth behind Reed and wouldn't get much playing time. I don't see the Texans picking a depth player in the 1st round who will only see a couple series per game to spell Reed for a breather. At ILB I think he'd be in the same situation as Demeco was, a good player who comes off the field every time we go into nickle or dime formations and thus is only on the field in about 50% of the defensive snaps. I don't think the Texans want to spend a 1st round pick on creating the same problem they just traded away. Since the ILB player will come off the field so often in this pass happy league, then I think they'll use a 3rd or 4th round pick. I also don't think Hightower makes it past Pittsburgh in the 1st round, they're drooling over him.
Old 03-28-2012   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like Bruce Irvin at the end of the second round...

I think he'd be a good compliment to what we have...

I like a bunch of the OLB's though, but I think some of them will go earlier than expected and there really isn't one that I like at #26
The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.
Old 03-28-2012   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The more I look at 3-4 OLB in this draft, the less I like the position. I don't see any top flight pass rushers in this group. No Orakpos or Aldon Smiths. The pass rusher with the most potential is Irvin. But he is raw with all sorts of red flags. The Texans already have an Irvin type player in Braman.

I like Ronnell Lewis as a football player, but he is limited as strictly a speed rusher and may be too small to play every down in the 3-4 base. I wouldn't want the Texans to take an OLB in the first 2 days of this draft. In the 4th round, there should still be guys available that are worth taking a chance on.
I agree with this. Overall I think the 2012 draft is a poor one in terms of pass rushers be it 3-4 or 4-3, it's just not a good year. Any OLB we take will be a depth player so I agree, no OLB depth until the third day of the draft, probably the 4th round.
Old 03-28-2012   #15
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Quote:

That is just about the same thing I think. The only guy I look at and think he has a chance to be a 10+ sack guy is Marcellus Whitney and he has not put 2 good years together. Bruce Irvin does not seem like a 3 down player at this point and time and he likes to destroy signs at Jimmy John's Sandwich Shop a day after his pro day. That to me is about like a guy who can't stop smoking weed before the biggest job interview of his life when he knows he will have to pee in a cup. Not at all impressed with this class of rush linebackers.
Old 03-28-2012   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I agree with all of that. Though I really like the potential of a few guys like Irvin and Lewis.

I like the specialized skills they bring. Irvin would give us great speed rushing the passer and Lewis would bring a toughness.

Plus they have the potential to blossom outside of their specialty areas.

But you are right, both would be somewhat of risks in their own way.
Old 03-29-2012   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I actually like Hightower at ILB more than OLB but I have a problem with him on the Texans roster at both positions. First at OLB he'd be depth behind Reed and wouldn't get much playing time. I don't see the Texans picking a depth player in the 1st round who will only see a couple series per game to spell Reed for a breather. At ILB I think he'd be in the same situation as Demeco was, a good player who comes off the field every time we go into nickle or dime formations and thus is only on the field in about 50% of the defensive snaps. I don't think the Texans want to spend a 1st round pick on creating the same problem they just traded away. Since the ILB player will come off the field so often in this pass happy league, then I think they'll use a 3rd or 4th round pick. I also don't think Hightower makes it past Pittsburgh in the 1st round, they're drooling over him.
no doubt ILB 1st OLB 2nd but it's a luxury to have quality back-up just in case.

depends doesn't it on down & distance? 50% is a little under-rated more like about 75% with 25% rest & recuperation.

DeMeco came off the field as much because he was physically unable, the stronger he got towards end of season less he came out. Had a lot to do with a number of issues.

Pittsburgh also covets a OT & it is a bigger hole to fill.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
no doubt ILB 1st OLB 2nd but it's a luxury to have quality back-up just in case.

depends doesn't it on down & distance? 50% is a little under-rated more like about 75% with 25% rest & recuperation.

DeMeco came off the field as much because he was physically unable, the stronger he got towards end of season less he came out. Had a lot to do with a number of issues.

Pittsburgh also covets a OT & it is a bigger hole to fill.
It may be a bigger hole to fill but what OT's will be on the board at their pick (#24)? They may not have any of them graded as high as Hightower. Also, it doesn't look like a very deep draft for ILBers and after Hightower there will be a drop off with only Kendricks, Johnson, and Cole to really choose from. And , there's no one with Hightower's size and ability. As for OT's, they can find someone to fill that hole in later rounds.

Don't get me wrong, if Hightower is there, I think they'd be crazy not to take him, but I just don't think he will be there.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

That's why there will be nothing wrong with getting an OLB in the 3rd or that early 4th rounder we got from Philly.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Texans have used a policy of selecting players who can play more than one position and Hightower can do that.
This is why I could see McClellin or Wagner as the 2nd rd pick. They are much better values than Hightower or Perry in the 1st. IMHO

I'm thinking McClellin may go to the Packers in the 1st though. He would make a great bookend to Matthews. I would be for using a 4/5th to trade up for McClellin in the 2nd. He fits what the Texans front 7 is all about. (intensity) McClellin can play Ryans spot as well as rush the passer off the edge.

Wagner can do many of the same things, but is not Quite as good off the edge. Both of these guys are well worth 2nd rd picks. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read