Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-25-2012   #101
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sean Payton suspended one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Good, Loomis should have been given the same one year suspension as well. 500K isn't big enough to me either.
Exactly! Headhunting & trying to put players out of games or careers should be worth jail time imo. Probably only time I'd agree with congressional investigation.
Old 03-25-2012   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Payton might get fired. But, not anytime soon. And not this year.

What you are failing to consider is that by Payton and Loomis proclaiming responsibility, they are removing any possible guilt from the owner. As far as Goodell knows, Benson knows nothing. Even if he actually does. Fire Payton and/or Loomis and they might be singing a different tune.
That's a pretty damn good point.
Old 03-25-2012   #103
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Suspended New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton will have a lot of free time in the upcoming season -- he's out of the game for the entire 2011 campaign, and he's $5.8 million lighter in the pocket after Roger Goodell told him that he was not needed this year as a result of BountyGate. Fox Sports would like to fill Payton's Sundays by making an analyst for the network's NFL broadcasts.

"Our feeling about Sean is that he's bright, articulate and obviously contemporary," said Lou D'Ermilio, FOX's senior vice president for communications in a statement. "Any network with NFL rights would have to consider it."

While the league can prevent Payton from finding gainful employment in a coaching or administrative position until his one-year suspension is done, there's no mandate to keep him out of the booth.

"He is suspended from the NFL for the season," the league said in a statement to The New York Times. "His involvement in any non-NFL employment or business matters is not our decision.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...144605051.html
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #104
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Payton might get fired. But, not anytime soon. And not this year.

What you are failing to consider is that by Payton and Loomis proclaiming responsibility, they are removing any possible guilt from the owner. As far as Goodell knows, Benson knows nothing. Even if he actually does. Fire Payton and/or Loomis and they might be singing a different tune.
The story as I last heard, and it might be different now, is that Benson heard what was up and told Gregg to cut it out post-haste and Gregg said he would.

It doesn't mean he didn't come to accept it later, though. I don't know if I would believe anyone from the Saints FO at this point.
Old 03-26-2012   #105
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Stupid media ..... I hate them.

I wouldnt hire that guy to wash sh!tty diapers.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #106
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Love seeing Saints fans in a tailspin. Screw 'em.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012   #107
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Sean Payton, Bill Parcells talk role
Chris Mortensen
ESPN
March 26, 2012

While seeking the counsel of his former boss and mentor, Bill Parcells, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has broached the idea of Parcells becoming the interim head coach during Payton's suspension for the 2012 season, according to several league sources.

Payton and Parcells have spoken numerous times, sources said, since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced last Wednesday that the Saints coach was being suspended for the year because the league found that the team had engaged in a bounty program that included incentives to injure opposing players.

Payton is contemplating an appeal of his stiff sentence, sources said. His suspension begins April 1 and will end after the Super Bowl.

Payton's agent said Monday "no decisions have been made about an appeal..."

read more: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7738693&wjb
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #108
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Did I miss something? Did Sean Payton become the owner of the Saints sometime in the past year or two? How is it that SEAN PAYTON, not the owner, is having conversations with Bill Parcells about coaching the Saints in Payton's absence??????

From the article in the previous post:

Quote:
It is uncertain whether Payton has discussed Parcells' candidacy as an interim head coach with Saints owner Tom Benson or general manager Mickey Loomis, who was handed an eight-game suspension.
LOL. I guess since he's still technically the Saints' head coach, Sean Payton can pick his interim HC?

If I were Tom Benson, I'd have me and my front office (with Loomis and Payton uninvolved, btw) picking the interim HC. I would distance myself from Sean Payton. The last thing you want is your HC for 2012 on the sideline of games and the announcers/telecast commentators saying "There's _______, the interim head coach who was selected by Sean Payton to coach this season."

Sometimes I wonder if any of these teams even have a Public Relations department.
Old 03-27-2012   #109
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Did I miss something? Did Sean Payton become the owner of the Saints sometime in the past year or two? How is it that SEAN PAYTON, not the owner, is having conversations with Bill Parcells about coaching the Saints in Payton's absence??????
Methinks it's because Benson is
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #110
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Methinks it's because Benson is
LMAO!

Brilliant.

Says I must spread rep before giving it to you again.
Old 03-27-2012   #111
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL. I guess since he's still technically the Saints' head coach, Sean Payton can pick his interim HC?

If I were Tom Benson, I'd have me and my front office (with Loomis and Payton uninvolved, btw) picking the interim HC. I would distance myself from Sean Payton. The last thing you want is your HC for 2012 on the sideline of games and the announcers/telecast commentators saying "There's _______, the interim head coach who was selected by Sean Payton to coach this season."

Sometimes I wonder if any of these teams even have a Public Relations department.
I would hire the HC that gave me the best chance to win a SB. Parcells would be at the top of my list.

I want my FO to give me the best chance to win and PR shouldn't be a part of the thought process. It appears as though Benson puts winning above PR. As it should be for all of the teams in the NFL.

I wish our home team didn't put PR 1st before winning.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #112
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Payton comes from the Parcells system so I'd bet Bill Parcells wouldn't have to come in and learn the language...Benson doesn't have that kind of a connection to Parcells. I'm sure Payton asked Benson if he could talk to his friend about being an interim and I'd bet he said go for it. I don't see how that is so weird.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #113
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Payton comes from the Parcells system so I'd bet Bill Parcells wouldn't have to come in and learn the language...Benson doesn't have that kind of a connection to Parcells. I'm sure Payton asked Benson if he could talk to his friend about being an interim and I'd bet he said go for it. I don't see how that is so weird.
It's weird in the sense that as an owner in Benson's position, a compromised position to say the least, the owner needs to be wayyyyyy out in front of this deal and not allowing his suspended head coach to be getting the air time he's getting. Especially in the sense of him picking his guy to replace him.

Standard P.R. practice, well....except for the Saints.

If this had been with the Texans, no way in hell would McNair be letting Sean Payton go anywhere near this decision-making territory. Benson has balls, or is ignorant of public sentiment/scrutiny, or both. My bet is on "both."
Old 03-27-2012   #114
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's weird in the sense that as an owner in Benson's position, a compromised position to say the least, the owner needs to be wayyyyyy out in front of this deal and not allowing his suspended head coach to be getting the air time he's getting. Especially in the sense of him picking his guy to replace him.

Standard P.R. practice, well....except for the Saints.

If this had been with the Texans, no way in hell would McNair be letting Sean Payton go anywhere near this decision-making territory. Benson has balls, or is ignorant of public sentiment/scrutiny, or both. My bet is on "both."
you always make things soap opera quality....er, kudos to that?

I donno, Payton is generally not seen as an evildooer nor does anyone think that he was the driving force behind all this stuff but was punished for covering it up mostly. I don't think Payton taints anything and why wouldn't you want to bring in a guy who taught Payton much of the system he runs himself? That would likely give you a better shot at staying competitive than otherwise. When I read your stuff sometimes I think it comes across as something Boss Hogg and his sidekick Rosco P. Coltrane would post.

I find that reading your posts in Boss Hogg voice helps.

Old 03-27-2012   #115
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
you always make things soap opera quality....er, kudos to that?

I donno, Payton is generally not seen as an evildooer nor does anyone think that he was the driving force behind all this stuff but was punished for covering it up mostly. I don't think Payton taints anything and why wouldn't you want to bring in a guy who taught Payton much of the system he runs himself? That would likely give you a better shot at staying competitive than otherwise. When I read your stuff sometimes I think it comes across as something Boss Hogg and his sidekick Rosco P. Coltrane would post.

I find that reading your posts in Boss Hogg voice helps.
Awww, that's so nice of you to say that to me. Very becoming of a respected member of a board whose policy is to not name-call and deride a poster. Way to go, Vinny! Keep up the good fight.

Based on your posts, I'm not sure that you see the value in what people perceive anyways. So I can see why my posts are puzzling to you. (That's my little way of getting a "dig" in on you since you want to play that way. Isn't this fun?!? LOL).

Back to the topic: Perception is reality. Period. For better or for worse, the Texans have made it their goal to place their product into the minds of the public as being (a) Wholesome, (b) Quality-driven in terms of basic fan happiness, and (c) Committed to doing right things no matter the situation, i.e. Respecting a guy like Mario by not signing any of our other FAs while he was out getting his Mega Deal with the Bills.

If I am Joe Football Fan and I see that the guy who is suspended for a year, Payton, is choosing his successor for the year...I scratch my head and wonder why the owner isn't making that decision since the original HC, Payton, screwed up so badly in the first place and isn't supposed to be making football decisions...though Goodell is allowing him to since Payton will appeal the verdict.

It's as if Payton is wagging the dog there in Nawlins. That's my perception. Dude effed up and the owner needs to take over and be the man of his household...rather than letting Payton be a visible leader right now.

I always wanted to be Luke Duke, btw. So you really crushed my spirit, Vinny.
Old 03-27-2012   #116
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Awww, that's so nice of you to say that to me. Very becoming of a respected member of a board whose policy is to not name-call and deride a poster. Way to go, Vinny! Keep up the good fight.

Based on your posts, I'm not sure that you see the value in what people perceive anyways. So I can see why my posts are puzzling to you. (That's my little way of getting a "dig" in on you since you want to play that way. Isn't this fun?!? LOL).
I just think your posts are humorous. Likely unintentional humor, but humorous all the same.

Old 03-27-2012   #117
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would Bob McNair even want Sean Payton go anywhere near this decision-making territory?

To be honest, man, I think there is a little wink/wink at owners meetings about this stuff. I really do not think owners are as indignant about these kinds of things as the public assumes.

Yeah, the commish has to put the hammer down, but only due to public relations and 'protecting the shield' and all that jazz. The reality is that bounty programs have been in the NFL for a long time, and it is only somewhat recent that politically correctness has permeated the marketing of the sport to a wider audience.

Payton is picking his replacement coach because his owner and front office want him to pick his replacement coach. Occam's razor.
Old 03-27-2012   #118
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Payton is picking his interim coach because his owner and front office want him to pick his future replacement coach. Occam's razor.
Fify.

Bill Parcells is no threat to taking Payton's job. Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and Spagnuolo that are. Payton just needs a guy who can keep the seat warm for him, and Parcells is perfect for that. He's well respected, knows the system, and is too old to do this long term. Excellent move by the brilliant Mr. Payton.
Old 03-27-2012   #119
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Fify.

Bill Parcells is no threat to taking Payton's job. Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and Spagnuolo that are. Payton just needs a guy who can keep the seat warm for him, and Parcells is perfect for that. He's well respected, knows the system, and is too old to do this long term. Excellent move by the brilliant Mr. Payton.
'eh, I honestly do not think Benson has any intention of losing Sean Payton. He's a savior of sorts in that town, and this story barely event dents the goodwill he has built up in the fanbase.

I've got about a dozen friends who are Saints fans, and none of them think ill of Payton. Almost all entertain a conspiracy by the league against New Orleans, in spite of the regular visits to their city by the Super Bowl.

I think if Benson wanted Cowher, Gruden, etc., he would take this opportunity to fire Payton and hire one of them. What we are seeing is the exact opposite. They are handing the reigns of the franchise to a soon-to-be exiled head coach.
Old 03-28-2012   #120
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a different point of view on this situation:

Why the New Orleans Saints Bounty Penalties are Too Harsh

Before you react to the headline, I'd ask you to read the reasoning. I'm not sure it persuades anybody to anything--I think the bounty punishment thing is something that people react one way or another to, and get locked into their point of view. Like many things in life.

Sean Payton can't talk much publicly. As it is, Peter King noted on Twitter that the NFL was not happy he briefly talked to the media at the owners meeting. In some of the few words he said, he said that he did not believe he lied to Goodell at their two meetings.

It is quite possible that both Goodell and Payton honestly believe their points of view. That is the difficult thing about investigations. People remember things differently. People perceive others actions differently. And nobody has a detector that can discover what is truly in someone's heart.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read