Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2012   #1
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TK's It's-Been-A-While-Mock

I've probably put together about 300 mocks since my last post and this one. I know the draft is an ever-changing shape-shifting daemon but lately I just haven't been able to fit it all together. I figured, I've got a couple interesting takes and maybe what I need to do is put it out there, let it get ripped to shreds and then I can move on...

SO

1 Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State
6' 5-5/8", 320 lbs., 10 7/8" hands, 35" arms, 28 bench press reps

Very well built athlete, excellent frame for the position with top notch intangibles. Like with Duane Brown, people will cry reach but the offense gets the OL upgrade it desperately needs. Immediately adds depth as the swing OT but will probably split time with Butler until he takes over, much like Brown split time his rookie season. Good pass protector and able to hit blocks up front or on the second level.

2 Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
6' 3", 245 lbs., 4.45-40, 6.71 3-cone, 10'3" broad jump

This guy has "can't teach that" and the Texans have one of the premier teachers of defense. I believe he starts as a backup to both Barwin and Reed but will force the coaches to put him on as a situational rusher due to his lightning quick feet. This guy really might be a homerun, a grand slam if he can learn a role on the edge but will have to improve run defense to earn starter's minutes. This guy absolutely will put the fear into OTs and QBs on 3rd downs though, his highlight reel is like DAMN. Dude is that fast, even if you don't like the pick or want the player, watch his highlights. Flat out embarasses blockers and puts pressure on QBs immediately. And then you'll agree with me lol...

3 Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
5' 11-1/8", 198 lbs. 4.40-40, 19 bench reps, 6.99 3-cone

Solid but average build with good athleticism, good hands and productive college career. Will begin as the 3rd/slot receiver and may develop into a #2 down the line. Kickoff return experience to boot. Good speed to catch and turn, create seperation on short routes but cannot threaten over the top. Will have to step up his blocking but will immediately improve 3 WR sets.

4a Lucas Nix, OG, Pittsburgh
6' 5-1/4", 317 lbs.

Nothing particularly special physically but is an all-out-effort blocker capable of working up to LBers who has bad intentions for anyone in different colored jerseys. Sounds a lot like the guy who just made 20 mil the Ray-duuuuzzz...

4b Keshawn Martin, WR/PR, Michigan State
5' 11-1/2", 188 lbs., 4.43-40, 39 1/2" vertical, 6.88 3-cone

Explosive and agile athlete able to create seperation, make the catch and be a danger from anywhere on the field. Very raw with loads of potential as a WR, huge upside but immediately starts as a huge threat returning punts.

5 DeQuan Menzie, SS/CB, Alabama
5' 10-3/4", 202 lbs., 4.61-40, 6.93 3-cone

Less heralded member of Alabama's vaunted defense, a bit of a utility man for the secondary. Probably more natural fit as a S, to backup Quin/Manning but showed he was able to slide down to nickel corner and press, cover, be a tough run supporter and good blitzer. Excellent late round value.

6 Vaughn Meatoga, DT, Hawaii
6' 1-1/8", 294 lbs., 4.98-40, 27 bench reps, 7.11 3-cone

Strong, quick footed and good motor combined with his natural leverage make him a perfect candidate for Wade's 1-gapping DT method.

7 Shawn Loiseau, ILB, Merrimack (Mass.)
6' 1-1/2", 244 lbs., 4.76-40

Football mentality in spades, good straight line speed but may be limited to run stopping/special teams role.

I think Sanders and Nix fit the ZBS well and will be the right side of the OL for years to come. Irvin is a toy for Wade, dude has disgusting physical ability and time to learn here. Givens is becoming a regular on my mocks, I think he gets pushed back a little by the fact that there are so many big bodied WR this year but while he's nothing flashy, he's a prospect with a lot of good qualities to match up with Kubiak's offense. Martin is a hella PR (replacing Jones) with upside at WR to boot, another under the radar type. Menzie will be to the secondary what James Casey is to the offensive backfield. Meatoga is my diamond in the rough, I really think he fits Wade's vision and could be an excellent rotation player. Loiseau is more of a special teams pick than anything, think Zac Diles with fire for hair.

I think I covered needs pretty well, I got the OL upgrade, got a couple WR, adressed Mario leaving, upgraded depth on DL, ILB and DB, even upgraded special teams. Would've liked to grab a FB and a kicker will undoubtedly be picked up UDFA but I think I hit a fair amount with good selections.

WHAT SAY YOU?!?!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read