Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-21-2012   #541
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 25372 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316
Default Re: DeMeco Ryans traded to Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

2.) As to the last part of your post, I don't give 1 penny for what Winston said. He's a self-promoting P.R. machine first and foremost. If his pass pro was as good as his mouth, he'd still be here. They wanted him gone, and I don't care what Winston thinks or says about it. He's gone, the world keeps spinning.
Damn.
Old 03-21-2012   #542
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1.) My hat is off to the Texans players who kept their tweets civil and wisely measured. To those who didn't, they are a detriment to the team chemistry that everyone feels is so vital around here, and those players should be spoken to by whomever does that in the Texans offices.

2.) As to the last part of your post, I don't give 1 penny for what Winston said. He's a self-promoting P.R. machine first and foremost. If his pass pro was as good as his mouth, he'd still be here. They wanted him gone, and I don't care what Winston thinks or says about it. He's gone, the world keeps spinning.

Solomon is a vulture, too. He knew he had some run with this angle of acquiring and using the Soap Opera tweets. He even included "former players," which reeks of POOR journalistic integrity...yeah, I wonder how positive "former Texans" are going to be. The ones tweeting the loudest are going to be the ones pissed off about their own previous situation here. Anything to sell papers or clicks, though.

That's why I give not a crap about the "outrage" because it's all so shallow to me. Sad he's leaving? Fine. Use it to leverage an agenda against the team? Not cool. And that's what most are doing, they're using it as dot to connect to other dots in order to prove their agenda(s). THAT is amateur hour...deluxe.
GP's defector shield engaged!

So I take it this statement not worth defending?

Quote:
Players aren't happy. None of them went to Rick and offered to reduce their own salary to keep "such an important piece of the team"???

You seem like you hate the players for tweeting their thoughts. I don't have a problem with it, it's March, we are months away from OTAs and camp. They will get over it by then, and they will have a new batch of 8 rookies to work into the mix. There will be plenty of time to build up team chemistry during a normal offseason workouts and instill Cushing as the new leader of the defense.
Old 03-21-2012   #543
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Draft Vontaze Burfict and let him and Cushing scare the crap out of other teams.

Ryans will definitely be missed by fans...in our short team history, he's been one of the big bright spots, but our management/ownership can't take that big of a cap hit for a guy that's a 2-down LB. Before injury, he was worth it...now it's a cap liability.
Old 03-21-2012   #544
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Quick response: WOW - very interesting. THIS is something people HAVE to understand when we restructure contracts. Everybody talks about "restructure, restructure, restructure"... but they fail to realized we're going to be paying for that in the future. I understand why we did last year, b/c we NEEDED Joseph and Manning. But if we keep restructuring deals we'll be in cap hell in the future moreso than we are now.

So his "revised" cap hits (PRE-TRADE) for the following years would likely be:

2012: $8.4M ($5.9M salary + $1.5M orig. bonus + $1M restructured bonus)
2013: $9.1M ($6.6M salary + $1.5M orig. bonus + $1M restructured bonus)
2014: $9.3M ($6.8M salary + $1.5M orig. bonus + $1M restructured bonus)
2015: $7.8M ($6.8M salary + $0 orig. bonus? + $1M restructured bonus)

POST-TRADE:
2012: $8.5M ($0 salary + $4.5M orig. bonus + $4M restructured bonus)
2013: $0
2014: $0
2015: $0

The net effect will be an extra $100K this year against the cap + adding a LB as depth. But we save $26.2M against the cap over the next 3 years. If we had waited and let him play this season then just flat out release him next year, we'd have a $6M cap hit for 2013.... instead we'll have $0.

On to my thoughts: It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. Demeco is THE quintesential player you want on your team. He's a leader, high character, class act, model citizen, great teammate, hard work and great player. BUT I completely understand why we had to do this. For all the people bitching about Smith and Olsen effing up our cap situation.... this type of move (while a hard one) has to be made to keep us out of cap hell in the future. It sucks, but it's a business and this was in the best interest of the team. I truly believe that. Demeco was simply being paid more than we could afford to pay him. He's been often injured and plays limited snaps. Nobody should discount what we're going to be losing in the locker room (he was a fan and TEAM favorite)... but it's a move that had to be made.

EDIT - About the trade value. I sure wish we could have got more, but I'm fine with the value we got. The total value is probably about a late 3rd round pick. I think the Eagles got a GREAT deal but this benefits us too. So I think its a win-win for both teams. I think we can have another LB in there for better value (although much leadership is lost) and we get a draft pick that could be put to good use. Next offseason we likely would have had to cut him AND take the cap ramifications that year while trying to re-sign Schaub, Brown, Barwin, etc. I think this was a business savvy move and the Texans will be better in the long run for it.
Good post, repped. Thanks for typing out the yearly structure, it really does help others understand the nature of his deal and the savings. The only issue I have with this is that you can't really claim 26.2 million in savings because his salaries are not guaranteed in 2013-15. That's 20.2 million of that money. It's simply 6 million in real savings by not paying him salary + workout bonus for 2012.

I think the trade value was accurate on this one. He's not a proven commodity since his injury, and last year he played like a 4th round guy. He was getting better at the end of the season, but we all know that still wasn't the Ryans of old. He has a way to go, and I hope he does return to 2009 form. He will be awesome in that Philly D that couldn't stop runs up the middle at all last year. Watch for him to get a lot of tackles next year.
Old 03-21-2012   #545
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
#77 vs. #90 I believe (compensatory picks not added in) fairly substantial along with extra 4th #115. Losing star players like Mario & DeMeco means they are aiming higher in the first round, they have targeted a specific player most notably Luke Kuechly, BC 6-3 245. The top inside linebacker available in the 2012 draft.
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as our resident draftnics but this is the player that immediately came to mind and he way Rick Smith moves and shakes on draft day, I can see it happening. Major upgrade in my eyes as I've heard nothing but high praise about this cat. If that's the way it comes down I can't see anything other than win-win. JMO of course.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #546
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
All of you look like children right now.

Why do you use "children" as an insult? Some of the most honest and loyal people I know are children. They call it like they see it and their better qualities are ones that most adults would be much improved if they possessed them.

So fans are shocked by the news. That surprises you because....? What is revealing is that fan reactions to unexpected developments regarding a much respected player somehow gives you a moral high ground to arrogantly call people out because their initial reactions were not of the high minded maturity that you seem to to desire.

Abe Lincoln had a quote that comes to my mind now: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgl35 View Post
As the Eagle fan who hangs around this place, all I can say is thank you very much.
What I think the Eagles get here is a leader for a defense that badly needed one. Plus he plays a position of need.
Could not have gotten a better man.
As the old saying goes, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. As a strong disliker of the Cowboys, I have always rooted for the other three NFC east teams by default. Seeing the Eagles improve themselves with a quality player like Ryans only serves to make me even happier to root for them when they play Dallas twice a year.

Good luck, DeMeco! Your tenure with the Texans deserves much love and respect. Kick some ass in Philly and make us proud!
Old 03-21-2012   #547
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Why do you use "children" as an insult? Some of the most honest and loyal people I know are children. They call it like they see it and their better qualities are ones that most adults would be much improved if they possessed them.

So fans are shocked by the news. That surprises you because....? What is revealing is that fan reactions to unexpected developments regarding a much respected player somehow gives you a moral high ground to arrogantly call people out because their initial reactions were not of the high minded maturity that you seem to to desire.

Abe Lincoln had a quote that comes to my mind now: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

As the old saying goes, 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. As a strong disliker of the Cowboys, I have always rooted for the other three NFC east teams by default. Seeing the Eagles improve themselves with a quality player like Ryans only serves to make me even happier to root for them when they play Dallas twice a year.

Good luck, DeMeco! Your tenure with the Texans deserves much love and respect. Kick some ass in Philly and make us proud!
Well said, my friend.
Old 03-21-2012   #548
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
^This.

Demeco has been the heart & soul of the Texans for years. Much appreciated, 59!

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Good luck to you -- as best as your interests don't conflict with our interests.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #549
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as our resident draftnics but this is the player that immediately came to mind and he way Rick Smith moves and shakes on draft day, I can see it happening. Major upgrade in my eyes as I've heard nothing but high praise about this cat. If that's the way it comes down I can't see anything other than win-win. JMO of course.
You are right, Kuechly is a very good prospect. I just think it would be a miracle if he slipped to us because of his college production and combine. He is really really good at pass protection and it would be a shame to draft him and have him come out on passing downs. Our phone would be ringing off the hook if he was sitting there at 26. We would probably trade back a couple of spots and get really good value.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #550
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
You are right, Kuechly is a very good prospect. I just think it would be a miracle if he slipped to us because of his college production and combine. He is really really good at pass protection and it would be a shame to draft him and have him come out on passing downs. Our phone would be ringing off the hook if he was sitting there at 26. We would probably trade back a couple of spots and get really good value.
Except for you would not trade back. ILB becomes a need, Kuechly fills the need. It is a match made in heaven. Your nickel front 6 would look like-

Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin
Cushing Kuechly

Fan-freaking-tastic
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #551
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

The Houston Texans informed me today that my contract as a Full Time Fan will not be renewed.

I am free to shop other teams for a better offer.

LOL had to share, it was on one of my friends Facebook hahaha
Old 03-21-2012   #552
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
The Houston Texans informed me today that my contract as Full Time Fan will not be renewed.

I am free to shop other teams for a better offer.

LOL had to share, it was on one of my friends Facebook hahaha
its the new 2012 theme..."Next Man Out"

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #553
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Vinny, I, too, have come to love and respect Demeco. But, I believe his beast days are over. I know many are not convinced of the trend that Achilles-ruptured NFL players have taken following repair, a subject that I reviewed extensively last year. But that player's "best" year typically occurs his first season back from injury. From there, the trend is all down hill, with the strongest downturn seen in the LB position specifically. The Texans may have resigned to this. Philly is more likely to have taken on an albatross than a savior.
In the back of my mind, I thought this was the case. Now that Doc has confirmed it, I feel much better about this trade now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #554
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Might be "Next Woman Out!"

I'm just thinking it might be better to just be a "fan" rather that a "diehard fan." First, I would have to get a gun and shoot my PC, never watch the news, bypass all the mags and newspapers, burn all my Texan stuff, never go to any Texan events, including games, and just not give a sheeeet who plays for us. Maybe there's a positive to being a "bandwaggoner!"
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #555
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texodus continues.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #556
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
MSR. Still can't stop laughing!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #557
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
In the back of my mind, I thought this was the case. Now that Doc has confirmed it, I feel much better about this trade now.
That is the best case scenario. We traded away ineffective Demeco.

Still doesn't mean I like treating our leader that way.
Old 03-21-2012   #558
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
That is the best case scenario. We traded away ineffective Demeco.

Still doesn't mean I like treating our leader that way.
Well, I'll still wear my Ryans jersey to games. He's a class act. Maybe he'll bring class to Philly...

...okay perhaps that's too much to ask? Probably.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #559
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I'll still wear my Ryans jersey to games. He's a class act. Maybe he'll bring class to Philly...

...okay perhaps that's too much to ask? Probably.
That's like expecting a rose to make a garbage heap smell good.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #560
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As much as I like DeMeco, that, along with the cap hit saved next year, makes this bearable.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read