Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2012   #121
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demeco's contract and Mario Williams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We'll be playing better offenses in 2012. Probably won't be in as many definite passing situations... 3rd & long... 2nd & long. Probably won't be bringing in that safety in Nickle situations. He'll be on the field for more snaps.

Ryans wasnt great in coverage prior to his achillies injury. I dont see Wade changing his scheme , if they are in nickle the extra DB replaces the MLB.
Personel depends on down and distance.

I think the only way Ryans stays on the field in those 2nd/3rd and long situations is if Cushing gets injured , and I dont think any of us want to see that.

If they see fewer 2nd/3rd and long situations , sure he will be on the field more .... that probably translates to teams putting up more points and fewer W's for our Texans (unless they can out score teams).

Quote:
It's the money. They can't get past the money.
In a way yes .... but like I said above: If the Texans arent up against the salary cap struggling to find money to resign their key FA's , we arent having this conversation.
Ryans contract is one of the few thats large enough that a restructure would net them significant cap space.

Thats no knock on Ryans or his play at all .... Just simply looking for the most reasonable options to free up that capspace needed to keep Foster , MW , Myers , Briesel & Dreessen as well as sign any draft picks.

Pointing out he's on the field ~40% of the time is just rationalizing the cost for the production.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #122
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll be playing better offenses in 2012. Probably won't be in as many definite passing situations... 3rd & long... 2nd & long. Probably won't be bringing in that safety in Nickle situations. He'll be on the field for more snaps.
I think bumping Glover down as a LB type player helped our pass defense out a lot.

I don't see the reward of leaving Demeco in third & long. Even if he gets back to full strength, he's never been great against the pass. I'd much rather have glover playing that nickel LB position with McCain in the slot than any other line-up I've seen.

I still don't think Demeco will see many 3rd and longs unless Cushing is hurt or needs a breather...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #123
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 167919 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. Still may not be a problem, if he's being asked to restructure. If we're changing his $6M salary into a signing bonus, dropping his salary to $1M or $2M, giving him a $4M cap instead of an $8M cap.... it's all good.
You posted this one after my last reply .... But thats what Im getting at. Just using his contract to free up cap money to use elsewhere. No knock at all on Demeco ... its just the most obvious contract to rework to achieve the teams goals.

By the way , his cap hit is $8.2m and thats without any incentives (if there are any) according to the calculations I did when I first mentioned him being a candidate for restructure several months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think bumping Glover down as a LB type player helped our pass defense out a lot.

I don't see the reward of leaving Demeco in third & long. Even if he gets back to full strength, he's never been great against the pass. I'd much rather have glover playing that nickel LB position with McCain in the slot than any other line-up I've seen.

I still don't think Demeco will see many 3rd and longs unless Cushing is hurt or needs a breather...
I agree with that 101%. That was one of the best adjustments Wade Phillips made to the Texans defense ...

Old 03-06-2012   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Demeco is not the problem, his salary is, the people defending him are seeing the players and plays with their red tinted glasses on. I LOVE Ryans, BUT I would make him take a 50% pay decrease to stay here. He does not WARRANT that contract. Brian Urlacher EARNED his money over YEARS of that high production, ryans has not. AND Urlacher actually earned his paycheck last season. I love Demeco but he has to take a pay cut, its just business
Imagine if the Bears thought like that after the 2009 season After extending him in 2008. Or after the 2004 season.
Old 03-06-2012   #125
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Ryans wasnt great in coverage prior to his achillies injury. I dont see Wade changing his scheme , if they are in nickle the extra DB replaces the MLB.
Personel depends on down and distance.
Or.... we can take Cody off the field like we did last year.
Old 03-06-2012   #126
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Or.... we can take Cody off the field like we did last year.
Often times they both came off the field with Antonio Smith moving inside , while MW was healthy he would move to more of a 4/3 DE role. After MW's injury Barwin became the DE while A.Smith moved inside.

Old 03-20-2012   #127
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool thread to read through in light of what has recently went down.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read