Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2012   #1
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up No one ever talks about our coaching staff...

You know know one ever talks about our coaching staff except for Kubiak and Phillips. These guys develop the players.
Case and point. John Benton. The guy who is the offensive line coach. I do not think he gets enough credit at the job he does. He has developed our offensive line yet all you talk about is the players. I am not worried about our offensive line. You may think that is crazy. But I dont. I know we have quality coaches who can coach those replacements up Rashard Butler and Antonio Caldwell will come in and do a good job. I have faith John Benton and the excellent job he has done developing our offensive line and the zone blocking scheme he runs.
Meyers and Brisel were not household names a few years ago and with the coaching of John Benton...have developed into quality starters.

Maybe I am in the minority in this train of thought....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #2
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: No one ever talks about our coaching staff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
You know know one ever talks about our coaching staff except for Kubiak and Phillips. These guys develop the players.
Case and point. John Benton. The guy who is the offensive line coach. I do not think he gets enough credit at the job he does. He has developed our offensive line yet all you talk about is the players. I am not worried about our offensive line. You may think that is crazy. But I dont. I know we have quality coaches who can coach those replacements up Rashard Butler and Antonio Caldwell will come in and do a good job. I have faith John Benton and the excellent job he has done developing our offensive line and the zone blocking scheme he runs.
Meyers and Brisel were not household names a few years ago and with the coaching of John Benton...have developed into quality starters.

Kubiak sucks. I'm extra pissed that he got Coach of the Year because now it's going to be years before we fire him. Phillips is an excellent defensive coordinator, one of the best in the league. I think most of the credit for the line should go to Dennison though. His arrival coincided with the emergence of our line. Benton has been here for a while.
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post

You might well be, but that doesn't mean you have an excellent point, which in my view, needs a lot more discussion.

Good post.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

How do you rate assistant coaches though? It might be easier for an O-line coach because it's obvious when the line is performing well or not, but what about WR, TE, RB, or secondary coaches?

Is Chick Harris a good coach because of Foster? It's hard to say. He was also here when Vernand Morency, Wali Lundy, Stacey Mack, and Ron Dayne were our starting backs.

How much did Reggie Herring have to do with Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin having good seasons last year? I think it's hard to rate these guys since we can't see the actual coaching behind the scenes.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most fans don't care much about coaching other than HC, coordinators and ST. Fans want the taste of a good meal and other than head chef, think little of the others who prepare the meal.
Old 03-20-2012   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard to gauge how much impact position coaches have. The guys above them do a lot of hands on teaching in their areas of expertise(e.g. Denny and the line, Kubes and the QBs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think most fans don't care much about coaching other than HC, coordinators and ST. Fans want the taste of a good meal and other than head chef, think little of the others who prepare the meal.
I generally prefer not to think about the people who are spitting in my food.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #7
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I don't know that much about most of our coaching staff besides the top few guys, but I do know that Reggie Herring made last years defense look good when Wade was in the hospital.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-20-2012   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's taken Benton a while to get the O-line to where it was performing last year. The real test is going to be this year how his guys perform with the loss of Winston and Brisiel.

I think we have have an average staff overall though.

RB was pretty bad off til we got lucky on getting Foster as an UDFA and making a high round choice in Ben Tate.

TE development has been pretty good, our WR development has been pitiful and is why I think we either need to put forth a high round selection at WR or look for help in FA.

Defensively I think Kollar has been good for the most part as a DL coach. Helps when its also been a spot where the team has invested heavily in.

I think the probably the most steady spot the past few years has been our LBer development.

Vance Joesph will be gauged next year on how well Brandon Harris and Rock Carmichael come along.

Of course, Gary is well known for his work with QBs. I'm actually pretty excited to see Yates develop with a full-offseason to work with.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think it's taken Benton a while to get the O-line to where it was performing last year. The real test is going to be this year how his guys perform with the loss of Winston and Brisiel.

I think we have have an average staff overall though.

RB was pretty bad off til we got lucky on getting Foster as an UDFA and making a high round choice in Ben Tate.

TE development has been pretty good, our WR development has been pitiful and is why I think we either need to put forth a high round selection at WR or look for help in FA.

Defensively I think Kollar has been good for the most part as a DL coach. Helps when its also been a spot where the team has invested heavily in.

I think the probably the most steady spot the past few years has been our LBer development.

Vance Joesph will be gauged next year on how well Brandon Harris and Rock Carmichael come along.

Of course, Gary is well known for his work with QBs. I'm actually pretty excited to see Yates develop with a full-offseason to work with
This is what I'm looking for.
Old 03-20-2012   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I guess I don't know that much about most of our coaching staff besides the top few guys, but I do know that Reggie Herring made last years defense look good when Wade was in the hospital.
For some reason I remember exactly the opposite. Am I wrong here? I remember giving up more yards/points and not having many turnovers/sacks when Wade was gone. I thought we were doomed if Wade left.

Maybe Im "misremembering"...
Old 03-20-2012   #11
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
For some reason I remember exactly the opposite. Am I wrong here? I remember giving up more yards/points and not having many turnovers/sacks when Wade was gone. I thought we were doomed if Wade left.

Definitely not "misremembering". We looked like the 2010 defense (slightly exaggerated) during those games.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

You are not "misrembering". The Texans actually lost both games (Carolina and Indy) when Wade was out.
Old 03-20-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The OL is good because of 1 man. (HOF Alex Gibbs)

Now that some of his guys are gone, we will get to see how good Benton is at his job. I have a feeling he will do well. (He learned under Gibbs)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #14
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14067 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Well we were trying to keep it a secret so other teams wouldn't poach him from us, but you ruined that for us. Thanks
Old 03-20-2012   #15
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh we do. It just normally comes out like **** this ************* bull****

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read