Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-19-2012   #21
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The forgotton WRs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think it is naive to think AJ will keep on trucking. We really need to start looking for a replacement. If he continues to be Superman well good for us.
ENTER MICHAEL FLOYD!!!!!!!!

ps... not gonna happen
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #22
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be nice if one of these guys can become the next Victor Cruz or something similar to him.
Old 03-19-2012   #23
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.
It seems like a lot of people leave out briesel when talking about foster and going from udfa's to studs.

Chris meyers was drafted pretty late as well. Kw was a 7th rounder. Vonta leach was picked up off the scrap heap. He'll Jeremiah Johnson was looking like he was going to be a really good player in our system. He was looking just as impressive as foster did.

Would it really surprise you if one of the "forgotten wr's" rose to a prominent status from obscurity?

I don't think it's about lightning striking twice. This regime has been damn good at finding talented players that fit well in what they do.

Of course I'd like to see a top tier talent taken as well, but I don't think it's out of the question that they actually semi-believe in some of the guys already with the team.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012   #24
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Really?.............. Really, why would y'all ever read my posts because I apparently don't know ****e!!!!!!!
cause sometimes they're pretty funny
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #25
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsiwan View Post
didn't foster start out as a project also?

fify
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
didn't Brisiel start out as a project also?

of course, our WR coach doesn't appear to be as prolific as our O-line coach seems to be...
yeah, if nobody ever panned out, why would they keep projects around? Every team has them but you can't count on your project guys. If the Texans knew what they had in Foster we probably don't draft Tate there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #27
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2&3 offer hope maybe like Foster his rookie year but not much else to go on. If we don't draft WR before round 4 as you indicate, I will blow my cool and be very, very unhappy. It is too easy to look back and brag on choices like Foster. Hope we are not gonna wait for lightning to strike twice.
Foster is a rare UDFA that became a star. I think Priest Holmes was the other UDFA to lead the league in rushing. But there have been several solid to good players the Texans have gotten round 4 or later. Here are a few:

Owen Daniels: 4th round
David Anderson: 7th round
Zach Diles: 7th round
Dominique Barber: 6th round
James Casey: 5th round
Brice McCain: 6th round
Troy Nolan: 7th round
Shelly SMith: 6th round
TJ Yates: 5th round

Now, I will agree that none of them have thus far attained Foster status, but these have all been solid to good players when given the chance to contribute.

Quote:
If you have research both compare Konz and Phillip Blake (Baylor). Both are C that should be able to play RG. I have Konz maybe at #26 but Blake at our third and therefore would take him. Your (and others) thoughts appreciated.
Sure, I would be glad to provide some thoughts.

I have Peter Konz as my #1 Center and #3 OG prospect (behind DeCastro and Cordy Glenn). Konz is a big, strong, athletic OL prospect. He can pull, he can push, he can get to the second level. He plays with solid pad level and excellent knee bend. He can play Center or Guard. If I drafted him, I would flip Wade Smith to RG and put Konz as my LG so that he could get help from Duane Brown early in his career. Going forward I see him as our longterm Center, but for now, he can help out at OG. If he was at #26 I would grab him.

Phillip Blake is my #2 Center prospect(After Konz) and my #8 OG (DeCastro, Glenn, Konz, Osemele, Zeitler, Silatolu, and Brandon Washington). He is a big strong, athletic OL. My concerns with him are that he mostly hiked into shotgun at Baylor and didn't snap under Center much. A couple other concerns I had were that he didn't look to be in tip-top shape at the combine. Now, not all prospects will be in shape, but that leads me to my next big concern with Blake. Most of the prospects at the combine are kids. They are 20, 21, maybe 22 years old. Phillip Blake is a 27 year old man. I have more expectations for a 27 year old man than I do a 22 year old. The age issue has me concerned since he would be literally a year OLDER than Duane Brown and Brown has 4 years of NFL experience under his belt. Blake is a good player but question marks will abound due to age and questions if he has peaked and if he can transition to another position.

If the choice was between Konz in the first with a WR/OLB in the second and third or a WR/OLB in the first and second and Blake in the 3rd, I would definitely take Konz. I think Konz is that good and has the potential to be a Probowl Center or Guard. If you have the chance at a Probowl OL, you gotta grab him.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #28
pec0sb0b
on the lam

Rep Power: 2716 pec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respectedpec0sb0b is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. Now maybe the DBs in the Pac10 were slow that year, making him look better than he was, but I think he has potential in the slot or at weak-side wideout. The quick slant and the post routes use that burst of speed to take advantage of man coverage teams use against the run. Ever notice how Kevin Walter is always tackled immediately after catching the ball? That ability to separate is something KW has never had.

Jeans' preseason performance showed potential and he's probably a better fit at weak-side wideout.

I've been looking at this year's group of receivers since last year's draft and really don't see anyone that's a starter after Michael Floyd (and thus worth a first round pick imo). Jeffrey, Wright, Jones, and Hill all run routes poorly or slowly or both, and Jeffrey looks like he's about two pork chops away from being a tight end. Neither Blackmon or Floyd are worth trading up very high to acquire, but if Floyd fell as far as #15 or #16 I could see the value if we could get him for only an additional second round pick.

This may be what they eventually have to do to replace Andre Johnson but I don't really see the wideout of my dreams in this draft...next year's receivers don't look any better at this point.

Now none of this means they shouldn't give any of those four receivers a tickle if they're still around at #58.

Don't be surprised if Uncle Wade gets the first pick for the defense.
pec0sb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #29
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
I posted this is the college/draft section of the forum....

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...9-a0445b82f5a9

towards the end of the interview, mcnair was asked how where and what kind of WR houston will target.

He responded with in the draft and put a lot of emphasis on speed.Said the guys in FA a similar to what we have already and again we need more speed.
This year's NFL Combine 40's as a whole were relatively slow as compared to past years. The WR group followed this trend. Stephen Hill and Michael Floyd seem to be the only large WRs with lower times.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...lts.cfm?pos=WR
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #30
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This year's NFL Combine 40's as a whole were relatively slow as compared to past years. The WR group followed this trend. Stephen Hill and Michael Floyd seem to be the only large WRs with lower times.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...lts.cfm?pos=WR
nick toon from Wisconsin ran well and VERY well at his pro day.
theres some smaller guys like broyles and hilton who are pretty quick as well
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #31
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
i think that the texans won't pick an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds based of their philosophy. apart from Brown which other o-lineman we drafted in the first half of the draft.
Caldwell was taken in the 3rd round in 2009. Charles Spencer and Eric Winston were taken with back to back picks at the top of the 2006 3rd round.

Throughout, the the franchise history, the Texans have drafted to fill needs at the top of the draft. Of course, many of those years the team had so many holes it wasn't difficult to find a player of value at a need position. It was thought that the Texans would be past the point of drafting for need, and looking for depth in 2012. With the "Texodus" the team has experienced this offseason, and the salary cap bearing down, it appears the draft will again be used to fill needs. As in years past, there are a lot of them. Including the O-line.
Quote:
Tommy Streeter of Miami also fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for at WR (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.40). He's a little flaky, which could push Streeter to the bottom of 2nd round.
Old 03-20-2012   #32
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. ...
3 Cone Drill Results last 7 years

Not fast but extremely quick.

For the last 7 years.
Maehl had best time at 3 Cone drill @ 6.42
8th best 20 Yard Shuttle @ 3.94
5th best 60 Yard Shuttle @ 10.88
Old 03-20-2012   #33
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Tommy Streeter of Miami also fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for at WR (6'5", 220 lbs, 4.40). He's a little flaky, which could push Streeter to the bottom of 2nd round.

I forgot all about Streeter. From everything I've read he has a strong work ethic, sort of like AJ. How did you mean "flakey?"
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #34
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I forgot all about Streeter. From everything I've read he has a strong work ethic, sort of like AJ. How did you mean "flakey?"
Not sure what he meant but I found this:
Quote:
maturing (has admitted to improving his attitude from last year to this year)
at NFLMocks.com

And if this scouting report didn't have his name at the top I would think they were talking about Jacoby Jones. Yard Barker Scouting Report on Tommy Streeter
Old 03-20-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It seems like a lot of people leave out briesel when talking about foster and going from udfa's to studs.

Chris meyers was drafted pretty late as well. Kw was a 7th rounder. Vonta leach was picked up off the scrap heap. He'll Jeremiah Johnson was looking like he was going to be a really good player in our system. He was looking just as impressive as foster did.

Would it really surprise you if one of the "forgotten wr's" rose to a prominent status from obscurity?

I don't think it's about lightning striking twice. This regime has been damn good at finding talented players that fit well in what they do.

Of course I'd like to see a top tier talent taken as well, but I don't think it's out of the question that they actually semi-believe in some of the guys already with the team.
Rey, Myers was a trade for us and started immediately. We need immediate help imo at RG and WR2.

Johnson should have been kept, loved that dude.
Old 03-20-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pec0sb0b View Post
I watched some video highlights of Maehl last year after the draft. He wasn't very fast but one thing stood out about the guy. He could separate from DBs. Now maybe the DBs in the Pac10 were slow that year, making him look better than he was, but I think he has potential in the slot or at weak-side wideout. The quick slant and the post routes use that burst of speed to take advantage of man coverage teams use against the run. Ever notice how Kevin Walter is always tackled immediately after catching the ball? That ability to separate is something KW has never had.

Jeans' preseason performance showed potential and he's probably a better fit at weak-side wideout.

I've been looking at this year's group of receivers since last year's draft and really don't see anyone that's a starter after Michael Floyd (and thus worth a first round pick imo). Jeffrey, Wright, Jones, and Hill all run routes poorly or slowly or both, and Jeffrey looks like he's about two pork chops away from being a tight end. Neither Blackmon or Floyd are worth trading up very high to acquire, but if Floyd fell as far as #15 or #16 I could see the value if we could get him for only an additional second round pick.

This may be what they eventually have to do to replace Andre Johnson but I don't really see the wideout of my dreams in this draft...next year's receivers don't look any better at this point.

Now none of this means they shouldn't give any of those four receivers a tickle if they're still around at #58.

Don't be surprised if Uncle Wade gets the first pick for the defense.
Wonder what Wright yardage would have been if he had been a "good" route runner?
Old 03-20-2012   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

The forgotten WR's?? That's probably because they are guys that haven't done anything to be remembered by.

These guys are project players. Maybe one of them could take JJ's spot, but other than that there really isn't anything to wonder about with these guys. We need upgrades pretty bad.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #38
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

What about Tolliver? Was that his name? Big tall guy...LSU I think?

What about Dickerson? Speaking of projects and wildly bad results...you think Dickerson maybe had an attitude? Or said something someone important didn't like? I thought he had great potential.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #39
tak3ov3r
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 tak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_Wupiz3_I

Recent vid of Lestar Jean working out.
tak3ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012   #40
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak3ov3r View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_Wupiz3_I

Recent vid of Lestar Jean working out.
What a bizarre looking work out

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read